HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Three prospects to play in World Cup, Steen, X & X?

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
well, it could hurt Sweden's chances if they would actually need to play the 7th dman.
If someone gets injured, which is not unlikely, Sweden would have to play a defenseman that wouldn't even make the Swedish WC-team against the best players in the world.

I'm personally excited about this rule as I think it is a great way for our young prospects to get international experience and definitely a big confidence boost for them.

But if I was the coach for Sweden I would be more worried about this rule than if I for example would be if I was team Canada's or Russia's coach.
If I was to coach the latter two I'd still know that I would get high-calibre players (despite leaving a few better ones at home) but if I was Sweden's coach I'd know I get 2-3 players that would probably not even make a Swedish WC-squad without any NHL pro's on it.
I see your point ... but other than a few Kovalchuk's I don't really see any of the u22's playing big roles or getting lots of ice time, for many countries..

It is really going to be about Sakic, Thornton, Kariya , Blake , Brodeur verses Sundin, Naslund, Forsberg, Lidstrom and Tellqvist when all the smoke clears and the 3rd goalie, 7th dman and 13th forward are not the keys to winning or losing I believe..

but I like the rule as well, particularly in light of that it makes Steen a virtual shoe-in and since I always cheer for Sweden against everyone but Canada ...it makes it even better..

Old
12-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
I'm not sure if any Swedish defenseman would be able to move Bertuzzi
Seriously though, if Enström would make the team and actually get some ice-time I'm pretty sure they would make sure to put him beside Mattias Öhlund or Mattias Norström .. well, somebody big and strong and defensively very reliable.

And no, I can't say that I believe Enström would generate that much offense, not in this stage of his career/development.

But perhaps it's more likely that coach Hardy will skip selecting a defenseman, since there are probably 6-9 Swedish defensemen in the NHL that are all pretty good, while we don't have the same "strong" depth at forwards. We have a bunch of forwards in the NHL but many have lesser roles such as Weinhandl, Samuel Påhlsson, Nils Ekman etc. Putting Alexander Steen or Fredrik Sjöström on a line would not be such a big difference .. while putting Fernholm, Enström, Fransson or Kronwall on D would affect the team's strength more, IMHO.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure if any Swedish defenseman would be able to move Bertuzzi
Seriously though, if Enström would make the team and actually get some ice-time I'm pretty sure they would make sure to put him beside Mattias Öhlund or Mattias Norström .. well, somebody big and strong and defensively very reliable.

And no, I can't say that I believe Enström would generate that much offense, not in this stage of his career/development.

But perhaps it's more likely that coach Hardy will skip selecting a defenseman, since there are probably 6-9 Swedish defensemen in the NHL that are all pretty good, while we don't have the same "strong" depth at forwards. We have a bunch of forwards in the NHL but many have lesser roles such as Weinhandl, Samuel Påhlsson, Nils Ekman etc. Putting Alexander Steen or Fredrik Sjöström on a line would not be such a big difference .. while putting Fernholm, Enström, Fransson or Kronwall on D would affect the team's strength more, IMHO.
That I agree with 100 % and maybe it doesn't matter as Sweden will take a 3rd goalie and the 2 kids you mentioned and pick the strongest 7 dmen I could.. That does make a lot of sense all right.. That would be the best option IMO.. and makes our interesting conversation moot in regards to which Dmen are taken..

Hey what's Ulf Samuelsson doing in September next year ...Todd Bertuzzi was just asking ..

Old
12-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
hehe, I have no idea what crazy "Uffe" is up to these days
I just hope that Sweden will get to face Canada in World Cup.Swe vs. Can, are always the most entertaining games to watch involving Sweden IMO, although the rival-games against Finland are not that bad either.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
hehe, I have no idea what crazy "Uffe" is up to these days
I just hope that Sweden will get to face Canada in World Cup.Swe vs. Can, are always the most entertaining games to watch involving Sweden IMO, although the rival-games against Finland are not that bad either.
Nothing beats a good Canada verses Sweden game... even if Sundin is potting multiple goals behind a former Leaf Cujo... That was the beginning of the end for him in Toronto and his own Captain was a big part of his demise... Strange how things work.. Hopefully it will not be Canada chasing Tellqvist from the net... Leafs can't afford to keep losing goalies in international play, even without injuries no less...

Old
12-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

I propose that Hardy selects a small group of 3 players that he plays in every remaining national team game the rest of the season, in order to give them experience. Steen, Enström, Fransson perhaps? Then select two of them + Sjöström for the World Cup team. That way these youngsters will have SOME experience instead of getting thrown in just because there is a u22 rule.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
I propose that Hardy selects a small group of 3 players that he plays in every remaining national team game the rest of the season, in order to give them experience. Steen, Enström, Fransson perhaps? Then select two of them + Sjöström for the World Cup team. That way these youngsters will have SOME experience instead of getting thrown in just because there is a u22 rule.
Brilliant, I couldn't agree more...

Old
12-19-2003, 01:45 AM
qwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
That might be very true..but do you think with his size that he will be able to move Todd Bertuzzi or Joe Thornton or Jerome Iginla from in front of Mikael Tellqvist????

That is why I suggest the Kronwall or Johan Fransson or Daniel Fernholm might be better choices?? Where they will be more useful as crease clearers and they can leave the point production up to Lidstrom and Ohlund and Company.. Would Enström generate a lot of offense in a tourney like this ??

Hardy and the national team likes mobile d-men. If you look at the Swedish national team today (for instance in the ongoing Baltica Brewery Cup) Sweden are playing with a lot of small, offensive, skilled-skating d-men that shoots good. Often the forwards are bigger than the d-men.
In the last tournaments I've seen a problem for the swedish defense to fence the swedish goal when we play Finland for instance. Then when we play Canada, USA then we'll get even bigger problem.

Luckily, for the World Cup we have some bigger but mobile d-men in the NHL (like Norström, Öhlund).

Closed Thread