HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What about Gionta?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
At the very freakin least....reduce his time on the PP. Please. Can we start with that?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Et le But

I've been a Gionta fan in the past..but lately it's getting hard to not get annoyed by the guy. He's handicapping Plek and should not be getting so much PP time. And that's just to start.

He never had a high hockey IQ, but you'd think he'd at least try to adjust.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Cole-DD-Pac
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Prust-White-Moen.

I would believe in spreading the toughness if we would have the guys to do it. I choose not to on a 3rd line and go with the combination of skills and facing an easier opposition to play against. Would rejuvenate Gionta's game, would help a lot the kids as well.
I like your lines but I also really like Prust on a different line than Moen and White. At his point our views are not that far apart so I guess I need to start an argument with someone else... where is Habsjunkie when you need him?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Why the **** does he still get power play time?! He's so ****ing useless on the power play.
With Gallagher out, he is our only right-handed who can play PP. That said, I am only playing the devil’s advocate here: I agree with you.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
He needs to be off the PP, Reduced minutes at even strength, and should be on a sheltered line to be effective. If he's still crap, I say sit him. I don't care if he's the captain, It should send a message.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:42 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Trade deadline is 5 weeks away.... at this point Gallagher brings more to the table the Gionta.

Assets to move with no real impact on the team....

Gionta
Kaberle
Weber

unfortunately, none of these guys have much trade value.... sort of like "make me your best offer"

We need a steady stay at home D man with SIZE and a little NASTY.... another BIG WINGER to replace Armstrong who you couldn't GIVE away.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I like your lines but I also really like Prust on a different line than Moen and White. At his point our views are not that far apart so I guess I need to start an argument with someone else... where is Habsjunkie when you need him?
Wait a little...at this rate, I might be one of the softest one on Gio...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Danadiens

Haha man, love the guy's determination to continue shooting those no angle weak wrist shots. Like he thinks to hisself ''This is the one that is going to get in''

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Ginu

The emergence of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and White this year make a couple of players expendable up front. For me one is either Gionta or Desharnais (depending on if you want to play Eller on the wing or at center). What's happened to Leblanc? Has he flopped?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
schumway2

Typically you don't trade captains in season but honestly I don't think it would be a big deal. He's more captain by default than anything. Like others have said you can easily hand the captaincy to Gorges. I can't think of a captain that has been more low key in Canadiens history than Gionta.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

maybe he feel sorry for is friend Gomez ....

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The emergence of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and White this year make a couple of players expendable up front. For me one is either Gionta or Desharnais (depending on if you want to play Eller on the wing or at center). What's happened to Leblanc? Has he flopped?
Desharnais bring a lot more to the HABS than Gionta.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
zx81

I would be really surprised to see Gionta moved to another line anytime soon.
Gionta played 18 minutes today and was used on a very important 4 on 3.
Pretty good hint that MT still has faith in him.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:29 PM
coolasprICE

gionta needs to show he is a captain / leader and tell MT to cut his toi

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I would be really surprised to see Gionta moved to another line anytime soon.
Gionta played 18 minutes today and was used on a very important 4 on 3.
Pretty good hint that MT still has faith in him.
It is but using Gionta at the point (Subban!?) during that 4 on 3 was weird.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
It is but using Gionta at the point (Subban!?) during that 4 on 3 was weird.
It sure was.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I want Gionta to finish his career here. Sign him for 2.5-3 million after his deal's up, bet you he'll still be good for 20 goals.
You also thought we'd win the cup last season

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Not to confident with him as Captain. His abilities are fading, but heart will always remain. As a player, hes gone down to a third liner. I think their are other people such as Josh Georges who are more capable leaders.
That makes no sense. Just because he's a "only a 3rd liner now (which could be debated, but I actually agree with you) doesn't decrease his leadership or how the other players see him.

It's not about being a high scoring player, it's about showing the right work ethic, showing a good example to younger players and once in a while being able to tell it like it is in the room.

I think he's a fine captain. Not a player I really like, personally, but until he's traded or retires there's no point in changing his captaincy. Would probably only lead to room problems...

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Dekar

While we're throwing out line combos, when Brendan gets back, promote him to the top line since he'd been earning it before his concussion (but maybe take a few games before pushing him up there in case he's not ready for that much ice-time yet, we can leave Gionta up there and slot Prust in with Cole/Galchenyuk while keeping Armstrong on the bottom line wing, all until Gallagher's ready to play more minutes).

Give Eller his shot at 2C with two linemates that have chemistry of their own, especially now that they seem to be finding their game again. In this sense, the top 2 lines may as well both be top lines if Eller handles it well. That could save Plekanec some ice-time at ES if we happen to be having an undisciplined game where he has to work the PK a lot.

Shove Cole and Gionta down to the 3rd line and let Galchenyuk have some veteran (though underperforming) linemates. They are still somewhat hard-working vets, so maybe an injection of youthful energy and a different centre will spark them. Gionta needs it though because, as this thread is mainly about him, what he's been doing so far just hasn't been working, and at least every other player has started to find his game.

The bottom line I think is pretty good, and White's been doing well in the faceoff circle (seemingly, I didn't check the stats, but him and Prust are interchangeable at centre/wing).

Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Desharnais
Cole-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust
Armstrong

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
While we're throwing out line combos, when Brendan gets back, promote him to the top line since he'd been earning it before his concussion (but maybe take a few games before pushing him up there in case he's not ready for that much ice-time yet, we can leave Gionta up there and slot Prust in with Cole/Galchenyuk while keeping Armstrong on the bottom line wing, all until Gallagher's ready to play more minutes).

Give Eller his shot at 2C with two linemates that have chemistry of their own, especially now that they seem to be finding their game again. In this sense, the top 2 lines may as well both be top lines if Eller handles it well. That could save Plekanec some ice-time at ES if we happen to be having an undisciplined game where he has to work the PK a lot.

Shove Cole and Gionta down to the 3rd line and let Galchenyuk have some veteran (though underperforming) linemates. They are still somewhat hard-working vets, so maybe an injection of youthful energy and a different centre will spark them. Gionta needs it though because, as this thread is mainly about him, what he's been doing so far just hasn't been working, and at least every other player has started to find his game.

The bottom line I think is pretty good, and White's been doing well in the faceoff circle (seemingly, I didn't check the stats, but him and Prust are interchangeable at centre/wing).

Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Desharnais
Cole-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust
Armstrong
Another one who put Eller on the pedestal. What he did so impressing to deverse a shot at 2C? Desharnais-Pac are doing well, DD have no buisness playing at the wing. Seems like you only want your Eller boy to play with the "hot" duo right now.

If a guy deserve to play with pac and DD right now is Gallagher. Him and Pac showed good think togheter. Cole and Gionta with Gal? What did the poor guy have done to deserve those two zombies?

Gallagher - DD - Pacman
Bourque - Plekanec - Cole
Gionta - Eller - Galchenyuk
Prust - White - Moen

MT is probably never gonna bench Gionta. We will likely never see Cole and gionta on the 4th line, but if it was me, I would let Prust with Eller and Gal and bench gionta. Cole is not showing that much more than Gionta, but at least, he's showing SOMETHING.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
Another one who put Eller on the pedestal. What he did so impressing to deverse a shot at 2C? Desharnais-Pac are doing well, DD have no buisness playing at the wing. Seems like you only want your Eller boy to play with the "hot" duo right now.

If a guy deserve to play with pac and DD right now is Gallagher. Him and Pac showed good think togheter. Cole and Gionta with Gal? What did the poor guy have done to deserve those two zombies?

Gallagher - DD - Pacman
Bourque - Plekanec - Cole
Gionta - Eller - Galchenyuk
Prust - White - Moen

MT is probably never gonna bench Gionta. We will likely never see Cole and gionta on the 4th line, but if it was me, I would let Prust with Eller and Gal and bench gionta. Cole is not showing that much more than Gionta, but at least, he's showing SOMETHING.
Did you just look at my lines without reading anything else?

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
OneSharpMarble

Since he has had the "C" he has shown no reason as to why he has been given it. Maybe it's the goatee but it isn't enough anymore.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Since he has had the "C" he has shown no reason as to why he has been given it. Maybe it's the goatee but it isn't enough anymore.
If facial hair was an indicator of earning a captaincy, why was Paul Mara not made captain for us?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:51 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
If facial hair was an indicator of earning a captaincy, why was Paul Mara not made captain for us?
Gainey didn't like his size.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
otto bond

If Gionta wasn't the Captain, I think he would be on the block. Very predictable player offensively, reliable defensively but often out musled. I also would love to see Gally take a few shift on this line.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I've been defending Brian for a while but last night he was absolutely just horrible. Stop giving him ice time on the pp MT

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote