HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

iginla and tanguay to pittsburgh

Old
02-21-2013, 10:36 PM
OCPenguin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Other teams would offer more. And if we couldn't get one of Despres or Morrow from the Pens, I'm fine with seeing Iggy go to the Bruins, Kings or Wings or where ever. Lots of teams will be wanting him for a Cup run and the return is going to be a good one.

I really don't understand the issue either, the Pens have a surplus of quality defensive prospects, trading one for Iginla who can play with Sid for at least the next 3 seasons is not bad asset management when you consider what you have in the pipe.
Do you really think people are going to be lining up and breaking down the bank to send Calgary a huge return for a player that isn't playing well right now; is a pending free agent too boot. We all think alot of Iggy, but lets face it, one goal in 15 games isn't exactly means for a huge return. He ISN'T the player he once was. Not close.

Hate to tell you, Boston doesn't have the goods to get him. I'm not sure the Wings do either. Not too many people have the goods to get him really and if they do, they aren't in contention. Philly doesn't. Minnesota does, so does Edmonton, Florida, St. Louis, the Islanders, maybe Ottawa. The Islanders and Florida won't do it because they won't be in contention. I don't see Calgary trading him to Edmonton. Ottawa might not be in contention very soon.

You say he could play for Sid the next three years? Last I checked, he is a pending UFA, so he is a rental as far as I see it that can bolt after the season. No sense giving up our top prospect in Morrow, or a top D-pairing 21 year old blueliner with the ceiling of Despres as a deal starter for two months of Iggy. If that is the starting point, I will pass. Bad asset management is sending a huge package for a player that isn't playing well and might bolt at the end of the year. Not worth it.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Other teams would offer more. And if we couldn't get one of Despres or Morrow from the Pens, I'm fine with seeing Iggy go to the Bruins, Kings or Wings or where ever. Lots of teams will be wanting him for a Cup run and the return is going to be a good one.

I really don't understand the issue either, the Pens have a surplus of quality defensive prospects, trading one for Iginla who can play with Sid for at least the next 3 seasons is not bad asset management when you consider what you have in the pipe.
Iginla is not guaranteed to stay and play with Sid for 3 more years though. He's a rental for now.

Let's not act like Maatta is a garbage prospect either. He's a really good prospect. He's a 1st rounder that some scouting services and TSN had ranked in the top 10 before the draft. A kid that in 2011 became the youngest ever Finnish player to participate in the under-20 World Championships. There's a lot of upside there.

You also have to factor in that Calgary isn't doing this deal one for one. They are going to want our 1st and possibly a lesser but still decent prospect or roster player. It's hard to imagine Shero wanting to trade Morrow, Despres, Bennett or Pouliot + a 1st and possibly more for a rental.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:40 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Do you really think people are going to be lining up and breaking down the bank to send Calgary a huge return for a player that isn't playing well right now; is a pending free agent too boot. We all think alot of Iggy, but lets face it, one goal in 15 games isn't exactly means for a huge return.
Well that was a simple look up the stats and judge how he is playing.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Do you really think people are going to be lining up and breaking down the bank to send Calgary a huge return for a player that isn't playing well right now; is a pending free agent too boot. We all think alot of Iggy, but lets face it, one goal in 15 games isn't exactly means for a huge return. He ISN'T the player he once was. Not close.
Honestly? Yes, I do think there will be a bunch of teams interested. While it is a little concerning that he only has 1 goal so far, I think most GMs are smart enough to realize he doesn't have much to work with. Wherever he goes, he'll be playing with a much better supporting cast.

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
If Iginla decides to leave the only place he's ever known in the NHL, this isn't going to be a light decision for him. This is one of classiest and most loyal guys in the history of the NHL were talking about. The Pens would give Iginla the chance to win a Cup for the next few years, if Iggy waived to go there I feel very confident in saying that he would resign there fairly easy, and really why wouldn't he?

If we aren't going to get a bluechip prospect for the face of our franchise and an icon in our city, then I fail to see the incentive to move him. Again, I do not see resigning Iginla as being a problem at all. He would be loyal to the team that wanted to his services.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:30 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
I doubt they want both, if they wanted 2 wingers I think it would be Glencross + Iginla.

Iginla + Tanguay for Maatta + Bennett + 1st + Bortuzzo/Niskanen

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:36 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I doubt they want both, if they wanted 2 wingers I think it would be Glencross + Iginla.

Iginla + Tanguay for Maatta + Bennett + 1st + Bortuzzo/Niskanen
nope. that would really hurt their cap. why shouldn't the Pens just make a trade for one of them?

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
nope. that would really hurt their cap. why shouldn't the Pens just make a trade for one of them?
Agreed. The Pens really don't need both.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I think they should only trade for one, I was just saying the price of both.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

btw those Flames Simpsons avatars are great

i'd offer Maatta + Kennedy + conditional 1st (Iginla)/2nd (Tanguay) for Iginla/Tanguay, but i don't know if the Flames would like the offer for either player

Old
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
btw those Flames Simpsons avatars are great

i'd offer Maatta + Kennedy + 2nd for Iginla/Tanguay, but i don't know if the Flames would like the offer for either player
I wouldn't trade Iginla for less than Maatta + 1st and that package is worse than that so, I would easily pass on that.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Iginla for less than Maatta + 1st and that package is worse than that so, I would easily pass on that.
the most i'd offer for Iginla is Maatta + Kennedy + 2013 conditional 1st (becomes 2nd if Pens don't re-sign Iginla before a certain date) + 2013 4th. i still don't know if the Flames would do that but i think the value is there.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Definitely a hefty price for an impending UFA, but giving up a 2013 1st and Maatta for Iginla is a price I'd meet. Doesn't need to be conditional, that way we just don't continue to add and add to the deal. I'm sure another piece can go CGY's way, but nothing of Morrow/Pouliot of the sort.

Sure it's a risk if he doesn't re-sign, but there WILL be a bidding war, and anything less than a prospect and a 1st gets us out of contention. Let's be honest, too, Pittsburgh is an attractive destination for a player who's never won a cup and is in the latter years of his career. No way he glues himself to the city like he did in Calgary, but Pittsburgh I see being a destination in which he settles in just fine. Try to bank on that and take the risk.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:29 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
Definitely a hefty price for an impending UFA, but giving up a 2013 1st and Maatta for Iginla is a price I'd meet. Doesn't need to be conditional, that way we just don't continue to add and add to the deal. I'm sure another piece can go CGY's way, but nothing of Morrow/Pouliot of the sort.

Sure it's a risk if he doesn't re-sign, but there WILL be a bidding war, and anything less than a prospect and a 1st gets us out of contention. Let's be honest, too, Pittsburgh is an attractive destination for a player who's never won a cup and is in the latter years of his career. No way he glues himself to the city like he did in Calgary, but Pittsburgh I see being a destination in which he settles in just fine. Try to bank on that and take the risk.
I agree I think Maatta + 1st is a very fair deal for Calgary, I think if there is a bidding war a player like Bortuzzo is all that needs to be added.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:35 AM
tfong

I want Bennett

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:38 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I want Bennett
That, I doubt would be in the cards. As mentioned 1,000 times on this board, the Penguins won't be trading its lone true forward prospect that could make impact for an Iginla type - a pending FA that could bolt. Not a chance of that happening. That wouldn't be smart on Shero's part at all.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 02-22-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Corban

Quote:
I want Bennett
Not gonna happen.

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
tfong

I want Bennett

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
That, I doubt would be in the cards. As mentioned 1,000 times on this board, the Penguins won't be trading its lone true forward prospect that could make impact for an Iginla type - a pending FA that could bolt. Not a chance of that happening. That wouldn't be smart on Shero's part at all.
What if we let you negotiate a contract extension before the trade? (Obviously per fantasy land)

Old
02-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Corban

Quote:
I want Bennett
I want Stamkos

See we all can play this game

Old
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
What if we let you negotiate a contract extension before the trade? (Obviously per fantasy land)
I have never liked dealing in "fantasy land" offerings.

If you are bare among your top 10 in forward prospects, like Pittsburgh and you only really have one that can make impact, you don't send him packing for a 37-year old veteran, signed or unsigned.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
WarriorScholar

Love how fans downplay a player as if they are the ones actually making the trade. " iginla is old, not much left in the tank, ufa....but I desperately want him on my team" .

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Corban

Quote:
That would be nice, but I do think Shero would rather deal one of his dmen prospects. We need Beau and we have extra dmen. This is Shero's masterplan...

Old
02-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I'll say this again, for me it either starts with Morrow or Despres or we look else where. And other contenders do have the assets including the Wings and Bruins. I understand the unwillingness to let these guys go, but it is a necessary part of the deal. Resigning Iggy won't be a problem, I actually think he wants out and he's not the type of guy that wants to be bouncing around from team to team.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:53 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I'll say this again, for me it either starts with Morrow or Despres or we look else where. And other contenders do have the assets including the Wings and Bruins. I understand the unwillingness to let these guys go, but it is a necessary part of the deal. Resigning Iggy won't be a problem, I actually think he wants out and he's not the type of guy that wants to be bouncing around from team to team.

Look elsewhere then.

Please give me the list of assets Boston or Detroit would deal for Iginla. A REALISTIC list. Give me a list of the contenders and what they would realistically have to deal for Iginla and see what the reaction would be. Just curious.

You know for sure resigning Iggy wouldn't be a problem? Sorry, a free agent looks out for himself - even if his name is Iginla. We saw this movie not too long ago. His name was Hossa. This is a guy that could easily high tail it back to Calgary as a FA.