HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 LMHF Report Game #9

Old
02-22-2013, 01:36 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
2013 LMHF Report Game #9

EDMONTON 1 (again, yep)

VS.

MINNESOTA 3
----------------------

SO, I find it really amazing and revealing that the post game conversations I've had the opportunity to look at while relaxing with my son before writing this report have taken the tone that they have. I knew that the main topic for discussion would be the one thing that was actually accomplished this game - someone, namely Taylor Hall, finally had a shot at that skating piece of trash Cal Clutterbuck, took it, and hammered him. It is about damn time. In an era where this type of "hockey player" is allowed to run around without fear of the traditional method of response to his type of "game" (that being a thinly veiled elbow to the teeth that netted you no penalty), you have to take your shots when they come and #4 did. Kudos to him for seeing the opportunity and trying to blow up that loser. I'm guessing there will be people around the league thanking him. I'm frankly a little sad the moron's leg isn't busted up. If Hall had been coming the other way, that moron would have jumped a foot off the ice, went for the head, then ran to the nearest official he could find to hide. This is because he's a coward. He's a coward who can't handle the repercussions of the way he plays the game. He's a coward who tried his damndest to make what is apparently a charley horse look like a career ender. Our guy went for a hard hit and kept playing the game. Respect earned tonight Mr. Hall.

I can't believe the reaction of some people. Edmonton Media, bloggers, twitters (emphasis on the twit) and forum posters who think this was "stupid" and other such things. What is wrong with you right now? Have you actually lost your minds? I'm inclined to say the past number of years have rotten your brains at this point. Yeesh. Get a damn grip. A guy went for a hard hit on a dirty player. Messier used to clothesline guys and get props afterwards. Scott Stevens would have ran Clutterbuck out of the league. The game has changed in a bad way when it is the Steve Otts, Cal Clutterbucks, Steve Downies and others who are defended by officials, fans and from the other players.

Credit to Ales tonight as well for not taking any of that moron's crap at the end of the first period. Shoulda dropped the gloves and shown everyone what kind of pansy the Wild have playing such an integral role on their team.

Speaking of the Wild...not impressed. Weak squad, boring hockey, no attack to speak of and didn't do anything defensively to write home about. They're strong in the neutral zone but that's just about it. Where were Bouchard and Parise? Crazy that they'd be so invisible out there. Maybe it is just a function of the game they play.

We made some mistakes tonight but our main malfunction was just having no speed or desperation heading into the Wild zone. We didn't drive anyone back, dazzle with passes or draw any penalties. We need to draw penalties with our speed to win hockey games. The first line kept slowing down. The second line had no rhythm. The third line was mildly effective. Why did Krueger bench line 4?

I'm starting to doubt our new coach some - especially now that there is a rather attractive coaching option on the open market. I liked the adjustment in the third period that saw the HHH line put together some really solid shifts. Everything else was kind of in shambles. 91 and 56 saw almost no ice on a night when there were a number of our higher end players that didn't get it going. We are sticking with a system that clearly doesn't play to our strengths and doesn't generate 5-on-5 offence. How many stretch passes have you seen this year? Forwards flying the zone with speed to an opening? Innovative breakout plays? Effective zone entry tactics? Changes need to be made and our coach is adopting far too much of a stay the course attitude. This was epitomized by the lifelessness of tonight's game. I may sound a little crazy for saying this...but didn't Ben Eager look like a guy who might get a line going tonight? He won't on most nights, but a guy like Bowman could always read when a guy like that was on and his star players needed either a kick in the ass or just a different set of skating lines to think about. It was worth a shot when we had nothing to lose. This is not a 2-1 team. We all know that. Why doesn't our coaching staff? I doubt the head man is getting much from his 2 Assistants and that might be a place to start to see some change. I think we all also see that management could have reacted to the challenges we've faced this year with subtle moves to blunt the impact of injuries while shoring up roster depth and has not. To me this means that they have no intention of winning anything this year or are completely incompetent. One of the two. Of course...I also find the idea of winning nothing this year to be something an absolute incompetent would try.

SO, on to the players.
----------------

Dubnyk
- Can't allow either the second or third goals. Still dipping his blocker shoulder and you can tell the video guys have it pegged. He's allowed a bunch of goals in that exact same spot this year. He must have been completely asleep on the second as he was not in a proper butterfly and barely even moved. I'll give him a pass on the first but not those two. Subpar performance. Not that it would have mattered too much but we could win 2-1 in an SO once in a while I guess.

Fistric-Peckham
- I see this pairing two separate ways tonight. First, they did some really nice things in terms of standing up at the opposition blue line and keeping the puck in. They generated multiple scoring chances this way in the first and I give special credit to Mr. Peckman for handling the puck so well in his season debut and getting solid shots away cleanly. They were also pretty decent in their defensive end in terms of positioning and playing the man. They could have been more physical but that is okay. The flip side of all of that is that they don't move the puck effectively. We need even our third pair to get the puck to our forwards effectively. Fistric has the talent to do that but rarely takes the time or has the confidence and tonight was no exception. Peckham probably doesn't. At least they're playing better than Whitney...damn is that sad.

J.Schultz-N.Schultz
- Goat horns to Nick tonight. Two absolutely brutal sequences leading to two Wild goals. I don't know how a veteran NHL defenceman noted for his defensive play can be so horrible at the 2-on-1. Doesn't take away the puck carrier effectively at all and no aggression to force a mistake whatsoever. He also did nothing offensively and didn't hit anybody. Not good. Justin had a pretty quiet night with only a couple offensive adventures that could have actually resulted in anything at all. I'd like to see him go riverboat more early in games and at the end of games where we need a goal. He has the skill to play rover at those times.

Smid-Petry
- I'm going to give a collective MEH to these two. A couple giveaways but nothing too horrible. Also nothing that stood out in a big way which is too bad in a game where we needed a spark. I'll reiterate my call from last game - why hasn't Smid absolutely buried someone lately???

Hartikainen-Vandevelde-Paajarvi
- Barely played. A mistake to use them this way in this game. Much as the third line picked it up the fourth line wasn't doing anything wrong in its limited icetime and #56 specifically was showing some jump.

Smyth-Belanger-Eager
- Certainly the strongest game from this group that we've seen. Smyth scored of course and also made the play to set up his goal by getting the puck free and to Belanger. He was also in on the forecheck much better than in past games and didn't get caught chasing so much. Belanger played mainly a support role and did it pretty well. If only he could actually shoot the puck. I like that he got in the faces of some of the Wild players from time to time as well. Eager had the best game of the three. He was looking for his and landed some good ones including and absolutely crunch-job behind the wild net on Brodin. He carried the puck well. Got some pucks off and generally mixed things up while staying out of the penalty box. A fine job.

Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
- Nail had a weird game. Got a couple good shooting chances and didn't convert. Made a great play to Gagner who couldn't handle the puck (a common theme tonight). Also made a couple of really weird passes to a Wild player in the first and to absolutely no one in the third. He's really struggling to find his spots at the moment. I just wish he'd float a bit more (seems like an odd thing to say I know) because he'd probably find more open ice that way. Gagner was pretty bad tonight. He couldn't do anything well with the puck. Yakupov gave him a gift and he missed. He was sent in on a breakaway and rushed himself so bad he lost the puck despite having time and space. He couldn't corral the puck on numerous shooting chances. Very very weird game from #89. Looked like he'd grabbed the wrong hand of stick or something. And what was with that goofy spin in his own zone and skating himself into corners? Ales didn't have a great game either. While he was a little better in the offensive and neutral zones than his linemates and showed some real life when bumped up with Hall and Hopkins, his reverse play in the third was ill-timed and resulted in an unfortunate goal when combined with Dubnyk's weak effort. I get trying to make something happen in a game that was going like this one but that wasn't the time for that play.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
- #14 is in a genuine slump. He's not getting to his usual shooting lanes, is slowing down in the offensive zone and just generally not playing the game he knows. It is very odd to watch. I recall a play in the second (I think) where he had the puck along the goal line with both Hall and Hopkins WIDE OPEN in perfect shooting position and instead he shoots with zero chance to score...for a guy with supreme hockey awareness that's just terrible. He's not trusting his instincts at all at the moment. Might need a fresh look on a different line to do it. Or at least some strong practice time. Hopkins was just okay to me. He missed the net on his best shooting chances (again), was decent defensively and could have made some things happen. I did notice a few times that he was skating to the wrong side of players when attempting to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Not sure why he'd do that. Hall was frustrated and rightly so. He didn't make a lot happen tonight despite a lot of effort. I expounded at length on the hit above.

------------

Disappointing and frustrating. The most important home stand of the year. Crummy. Not "lose your minds" crummy like some are making it out to be, but crummy nonetheless.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:50 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
I liked seeing Hall pop Clutterbuck, but that was it for this game. Too many times I saw players pass up great scoring chances. We all thought that this team was supposed to be exciting coming into this year but we look like the Phoenix Coyotes or Minnesota Wild with no defensive prowess.

I could be at least entertained by a 5-3 defeat or something similar. Not another third period meltdown in which we generate nothing. A single goal again. We made Backstrom's job easy. It's very frustrating and I'm nearing my limit with this team.

If they lose to the Coyotes (and all signs point to yes) I might be done with this team. Not just for the year but for awhile. They're boring, unimaginative and making the same damn mistakes over and over again. The GWG was completely preventable. Hemsky has the puck behind his goal line and he blindly passes it to nobody. Sure enough it's in the back of our net. There was never a need to do that.

Too often have I seen this team turn the puck over inside their own blueline despite no pressure. It's mind-boggling the fear this team has of getting the puck over the blue line. Or just chipping it out without even bothering to enter the offensive zone. Or seeing them botch their own offensive chances.

We're supposed to be a run and gun team but it was the Wild who got the chances off the rush. Not us.

I want to credit the Minnesota coach for calling a timeout after Smyth scored. That right there settled the Wild down and changed the game. Sure enough they won and the Oilers were never in it in the third period. If they can't get any PPs (and they didn't even get a full one tonight) they simply can't score.

Once again I could live with entertaining losses, but it's not exciting at all. It's like watching the Flames last year. It's horrifying, annoying, and I'm fed up with it.

They had the perfect chance to move up in the standings and again they blew it. How many times can this team blow games in the third period?

....sigh, anyway. If they don't beat the Coyotes I think I'm done for... however long. We haven't even won back to back games yet this season FFS.

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:55 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Too many times I saw players pass up great scoring chances.

I want to credit the Minnesota coach for calling a timeout after Smyth scored. That right there settled the Wild down and changed the game.
I'm going to disagree with the first point. It wasn't so much passing up great scoring chances as us getting to only a mediocre shooting lane (so they're not getting a look they can't refuse) when a premium one was right there for the taking. Just a little extra effort would have meant 40 shots and probably a few goals tonight.

The second is correct. After Smyth scored, then our top line came out and pushed hard, the Wild calmed themselves very well and got back to their game. We never threatened like that again.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:08 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I'm going to disagree with the first point. It wasn't so much passing up great scoring chances as us getting to only a mediocre shooting lane (so they're not getting a look they can't refuse) when a premium one was right there for the taking. Just a little extra effort would have meant 40 shots and probably a few goals tonight.

The second is correct. After Smyth scored, then our top line came out and pushed hard, the Wild calmed themselves very well and got back to their game. We never threatened like that again.
I probably should've reworded it. I mean they had a clear shot in the slot or high circle and instead passed it, either resulting in a turnover or a less likely scoring opportunity.

They were shooting from everywhere against the Avs, why couldn't they do that tonight?

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

RE: Dubnyk he could learn a trick or two from Quick. Other day they were commenting that Quick makes sure to lean forward on close chances thus taking the top of the net away. Smart goalie in every way.

When Dubnyk gets in trouble so often its because his shoulders are tight to the goalposts. Not sure who taught him that or its just bad instinct he has trouble breaking.

Make yourself big, square to the puck, have the angle, and top sealed and voila. Quick isn't head and shoulders better than Dubnyk by accident.

Onto this game.

Soon as I saw the D pairing I wanted to cry. Peckham and Fistric? R U F-ing kidding me Kreuger?

This is a pair that is outmatched in any race for the puck or race for contain. Predictably Fistric gets beat like a rented mule on the Minny tying goal. A big goal that simply doesn't happen if we have anybody even remotely capable back there.

Fistric is slow as a turtle and horrible at contain.

N Schultz is just awful. I can't imagine how bad he would be statistically this year without riding on J Schultz's coat tails. I think Justin might have more confidence now with Smid, or Petry beside him Maybe even Peckham.

Nick looks small, slow and nervous. Simply nothing he is doing well.

Can't agree with Clutterbuck LMHF. Anybody who throws 300hits/year is incidentally going to hurt some people. A lot of the time that happens when you throw this many hits. Vast majority of time I see this player finishing hits, not trying to end careers. Mind you I like open ice hitters (a lot) and thats part of the name of the game in hockey and especially at this level.

Hall caught him in bad position only because Clutterbuck was dedicated to team enough to be trying to kick the puck to safety while leaving himself wide open. I do respect Cal Clutterbuck because of the effort he brings every night playing a style of play where he and opponents can get hurt. But its his bread and butter and not easy to play this role for years.

If you're talking somebody like Cooke I would fully agree. I see guys like Clutterbuck and Brown earning more of an honest living.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I have no issue with the Hall hit. I was actually typing a long winded post in the GDT about I was sick of losing the same way for so many years, and how easy this team is to play against, to the point where teams probably look at us and see an easy 2 points where they barely have to break a sweat. Just as I was about to press reply, Hall through that hit, and I said its about time someone has a bad memory about coming to Edmonton (other than guys who get traded here, then leave). I hope Hall doesn't change his game, even if he does get suspended. A neutered Hall is a useless shell of the Taylor Hall we see now.

I hate losing in general, especially to teams like Minnesota and Calgary, they aren't really "better" teams, but they can beat us on their worst days. We talk about juggling lines, but it is clear that no matter what line combinations Krueger throws together will make a difference. This is a fundamentally flawed team filled with underachievers who for some strange reason don't learn, don't try and don't care. The same players have said the same things in pre and post game interviews for YEARS, and yet they get on the ice and forget how to play the game. I really think the majority of clubs around the league see Edmonton on the calendar and giggle because they know that A) they get to dictate the pace of the game, that B) There will be no sort of physical initiation or retaliation and C) If they play even an average game, they are guaranteed to leave town with two points.

We are getting beaten by teams with just as many question marks and just as many injuries. This is not a playoff team, this is not a competitive team, this is not an entertaining team. This is a team that has no idea what it wants to be, where it wants to go or how it wants to get there.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I have no issue with the Hall hit. I was actually typing a long winded post in the GDT about I was sick of losing the same way for so many years, and how easy this team is to play against, to the point where teams probably look at us and see an easy 2 points where they barely have to break a sweat. Just as I was about to press reply, Hall through that hit, and I said its about time someone has a bad memory about coming to Edmonton (other than guys who get traded here, then leave). I hope Hall doesn't change his game, even if he does get suspended. A neutered Hall is a useless shell of the Taylor Hall we see now.

I hate losing in general, especially to teams like Minnesota and Calgary, they aren't really "better" teams, but they can beat us on their worst days. We talk about juggling lines, but it is clear that no matter what line combinations Krueger throws together will make a difference. This is a fundamentally flawed team filled with underachievers who for some strange reason don't learn, don't try and don't care. The same players have said the same things in pre and post game interviews for YEARS, and yet they get on the ice and forget how to play the game. I really think the majority of clubs around the league see Edmonton on the calendar and giggle because they know that A) they get to dictate the pace of the game, that B) There will be no sort of physical initiation or retaliation and C) If they play even an average game, they are guaranteed to leave town with two points.

We are getting beaten by teams with just as many question marks and just as many injuries. This is not a playoff team, this is not a competitive team, this is not an entertaining team. This is a team that has no idea what it wants to be, where it wants to go or how it wants to get there.
Minny is in every way a better team. They always are. We're a better collection of individuals. Which means nothing in team sport.

Things with this Oilers club are so circular. Last year we gave the kids carte blanche to go crazy, play one way hockey, cheat for offence at every turn, have fun out there, and watch the hilite reels. This year, soon as OKC season starts its evident how swelled heads are, how unfocused they are, and how our topline would play well against easy enough opponents and get compltetely frustrated against good AHL opponents. I knew there we were in trouble with our topline.

Guys got overconfident, got some scoring glory too quickly and never learned how to earnestly work for honest pts. Now its hitting them that their success was contrived and due to how much the club rode them last year and gave them easy matches and best possible zone starts and icetime.

Seems like in 06-07 we gave a kidline the same glory and a couple players took years to recover from it.

Young players can chronically become overconfident on short term results thinking they've arrived and are better than they are.

"new car, caviar"...

Old
02-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Minny is in every way a better team. They always are. We're a better collection of individuals. Which means nothing in team sport.

True, but my point remains, there are alot of mediocre teams that have the same deficiencies as Edmonton, but they seem to have no trouble beating us regularly. This team is build to win one type of hockey game, a wide-open shoot out with lots of special teams, the sad part is that 80% of their games aren't suited to their style. A team with bigger forwards is gonna beat us, a team with more depth is gonna beat us, a team with more structure is gonna beat us. This team will be so deep in 30th place by the time they're back from the road trip that they'll need binoculars to see who's in 29th.

The scary part is this is probably as good as it will get. Will our offence improve, maybe, but our defense and goaltending is not gonna get any better than it is right now. So best case scenario is we lose games 4-2 and 5-3 rather than 2-1 and 3-2.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:34 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Wishing serious injury on players is pretty low.

Hall's hit was dirty.

He will be suspended.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:37 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Minnesota is actually a piss-poor team this year. The loss is more a testament to the Oilers' level of suck than Minnesota really doing anything right.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:02 AM
pancirios

Clutterbuck is human garbage and I agree with everything you said.

pancirios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:04 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Hall's hit was dirty.

He will be suspended.
jesus no, i don't even know if it was a penalty to be honest, let alone a suspension... he was going for a hip check and his leg *kinda* stuck out

i wish people, this includes players obviously, to get what is coming to them... clutterbuck is an *exceptionally* dirty player... i'm not at all ashamed to admit i said "i hope his career is over" last night when he was laying on the ice.... live by the sword, die by the sword... i have no time for dirty players, none, just like i have no time for scum in society

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:09 AM
pancirios

I do hope his career is over so he can't end someone else's before that.

pancirios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Hall's hit was dirty but not a knee on knee. Was dirty because of intent and the fact there was no puck control long enough to garner a clean hit... even if the hit was clean. I say maybe 2 games max.

I though Fistric and Peckham were a great pairing! They were the best pair at getting the puck out of the defensive zone and creating scoring chances! They both ate everything in sight as well which was great.

I agree with the third line being the best line last night.

Dubs was solid until the 3rd period. then he just blew a fuse or something.. he sucks at long shots and 5-hole.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

LMHF, i was one of the posters calling the Hall hit stupid. I was saying that because for one, it was late (dirty) and secondly, he could have ended his own career or Clutterbuck's very easily if the knees made contact at that velocity. Sure, it wasn't a knee on knee but he stuck his hip out to the point that it also exposed his knee somewhat which could have resulted in a much worse collision. It was reckless, plain and simple.
He wasn't thinking because he was frustrated and when Hall gets frustrated, he plays dumb hockey. Didn't like the play at all, don't know why so many Oiler fans think that this was some great hit, it's baffling actually.
I liked his hit on Brodin down in OKC even though it was borderline high, at least he didn't put himself in danger with that hit and it was more of a "hockey" play.
The Clutterbuck hit was dangerous for both he and Clutterbuck. Also, i find it sad that there are posters who wish injury on any player and Jadeddog's comment about hoping that Clutterbuck's career was ended is deplorable.

Also, a comment about Smid. He's not a big hitter, never has been so i think you're expecting something from him that goes against his nature. Smid is more of a clear the crease, positionally sound, play tough along the boards, shot blocking type. He's not one to go for big hits like Fistric or Peckham do.

Last edited by McCupofOil: 02-22-2013 at 08:54 AM.
McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:53 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
jesus no, i don't even know if it was a penalty to be honest, let alone a suspension... he was going for a hip check and his leg *kinda* stuck out

i wish people, this includes players obviously, to get what is coming to them... clutterbuck is an *exceptionally* dirty player... i'm not at all ashamed to admit i said "i hope his career is over" last night when he was laying on the ice.... live by the sword, die by the sword... i have no time for dirty players, none, just like i have no time for scum in society
Embarrassing.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
ponokanocker

I think it's becoming more and more clear that we will be bottom 5 again this year. Management did nothing to help this team when the C's all went down, and the coaching is refusing to make changes when what they are doing is clearly not working. I'm not sure if this is on purpose or what, but either way, I am becoming very unimpressed with Krueger.

Once again, our top 6 is not doing enough, even with all the talent in the world. We are the worst team in the league offensively 5 on 5. By a wide margin. This is worrisome.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Stoneman89

Agreed about the Hall hit. Clutterbuck has made a living out of running guys, sometimes legal, but a whole lot not. I'll bet there was a large number of guys in the league that may have smirked a bit when they saw him get smoked, despite the public condemnations. You live by the sword, you die by it. Karma was a long time coming for this player. I don't wish serious injury on any player, but when it happens to our guys all the time, I think it's a statement that enough is enough.

As for the Schultz's, Nick had a brutal game, but on the second goal, it was on Justin. Completely lost his man, and that was that. Speaking of losing his man, where is the Smid we used to know? Two minutes left in a comatose first period, and he loses his man in front of the net, only to be saved by a goalpost. That was Smid, circa 2009 and prior. He and Petry need to get their game in order, and quickly. Of course, scoring a few goals would do wonders to take pressure off them and Dubnyk.

As for Dubnyk, he could have made a couple more saves, but didn't. The pressure has to be immense on him though, with the realization he needs to nearly pitch a shutout nearly every single game to have a chance for the win. That is unsustainable on any goalie, given the Oilers defensive lapses, shots on goal allowed and constant movement and threat in their own zone. It takes it's toll.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Embarrassing.
i believe that people should pay for their transgressions, think of it as you will, i could care less

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:40 AM
McNutty780

That Hall hit was ********. I like a good clocking as much as the next guy, but that **** was dirty. He was frustrated and did something stupid. He deserves to miss a game or two because of it.

This is a guy who publicly said along with Ebs that they wanted more of a leadership role. Well, you got it, along with the money to reflect it.

A good leader doesnt pull **** like that. I love hallsy and i believe he will be a great player but holy **** kid, pull your head out of your ass and step up to the plate.

We need him to be better than this.

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Toydarian

What I find most frustrating about the Oilers this season is the complete lack of enjoyment in watching them play. The games are a sad excuse for entertainment. For the majority of the games--win or lose--I have felt I wasted my time.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
What I find most frustrating about the Oilers this season is the complete lack of enjoyment in watching them play. The games are a sad excuse for entertainment. For the majority of the games--win or lose--I have felt I wasted my time.
I'm with you on this one. I thought if anything, we would be in a lot of shoot-outs, not 2-1, 3-1 games. I could stomach the record a lot better if the offence was firing.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
That Hall hit was ********. I like a good clocking as much as the next guy, but that **** was dirty. He was frustrated and did something stupid. He deserves to miss a game or two because of it.

This is a guy who publicly said along with Ebs that they wanted more of a leadership role. Well, you got it, along with the money to reflect it.

A good leader doesnt pull **** like that. I love hallsy and i believe he will be a great player but holy **** kid, pull your head out of your ass and step up to the plate.

Gilbert nailed it on the telecast and who would know Hall more than a team mate. Said Hall got pissed off, ran around and was looking for a hit. Hall leans in there with a hipcheck seeing a guy not prepared for the hit. Knee was also in a bad position to take somebodies knee out. Hall ain't dirty, but it was a dirty stupid play.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post

I'm not sure how old you are, but I find that deliciously ironically funny. Mark Messier is generally acknowledged as one of the best leaders in the history of any sport, and he did this kind of stuff on a regular basis early in his career. It got him a ton of room, but more importantly, if you ****ed with him, you knew you'd get it back, someway somehow.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

Hall's hit was dirty.

He will be suspended.
I ask this in all seriousness Liquor, with no arrogant or other connotation intended - did you play the game for a good length of time and were you a larger hockey player?

Guys like Clutterbuck don't start in the NHL or the WHL. They start around Bantam. They're smaller than most but try to make up for it. Some lead with their helmets on hits. Others do nothing but blindside people. Some use their sticks.

When I played (which wasn't that long ago but a silly amount has changed since then) these guys were still at a supreme disadvantage because you could actually defend yourself with an elbow - or the next time they put their head down give them the Scott Stevens treatment.

I was never a hitter, but I was bigger than a lot of other guys. Little jerks tried to pull garbage on me and my teammates all the time. Let me tell you (or others if you already know) a helmet to the jaw hurts like hell. So the next time that 5'6" guy who's got a complex that says he's 6'3" comes around the net staring at the puck, you bury him. Some times he hops up, sometimes he does not. His coach would give him a talking to about how stupid he was to have his head shoved down the front of his jersey.

Now? Nope. The guys who attempt mostly runs and blindsides have they advantage. They won't go shoulder to shoulder or toe to toe with you and they don't have to. It's disgusting and dangerous to the skilled players who want to play the game the right way.

Hall could have taken his head off. Legally not that long ago. He didn't.