HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howson Re-Surfaces in Edmonton

Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Sheikyerbouti

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
say what you want but the oilers missed out on brian burke

he always delivers. he says he wants a team that has truculence. and look at them now, burke wasnt able to see through his rebuild but he built one tough team in toronto.

and while you can say he has a scorched earth policy when he leaves his teams, toronto is looking pretty damn good in the minors

Burke, like JD, always has a vision of an end product that he is building towards. That is what we lack imo

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:48 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
curious to know if Burke would become the GM in Edmonton--I think it is too small of a market for his ego

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Bryanbryoil

Oh ffs what next? Prendergast coming back? Barry Fraser? We need people with new ideas and fresh voices not the same old **** that got us into the mess in the first place.

02-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Oh ffs what next? Prendergast coming back? Barry Fraser? We need people with new ideas and fresh voices not the same old **** that got us into the mess in the first place.
Sometimes bringing back re-treads is a great idea. Just look at all the calm, rational decisions the Oilers have been making since they brought Mact back!

(I gotta stop reading Lowetide's blog )

Tarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Good managers are able to make real decisions in realtime. Of course with the draft they have the luxury of having 20 people in the war room meditating for hours/day on who to pick when it was completely obvious each time who they should pick. They had 20 people in the room and made the established general consensus pick anyway.

So one can think all they accomplished with that is managing to make the obvious pick but strangely needing a platoon of consulting resources to come to obvious decisions.

I'd kind of wonder how much time the org leaves itself to carefully consider the rest of picks, acquisitions necessary player moves etc.

The draft war room was overkill and it was in numbers everytime. 3 instances or I wouldn't even mention it except it denotes a clear pattern of over process and less real time demonstration of making decisions.

But yeah, lets set the table for one more great mind that sunk the Columbus franchise.
Which is why companies have boards of directors. It wasn't necessarily obvious, since the debates are there between scouts and media alike who is the best pick. Considering the two guys at the top don't spend their days scouting, you need to have that debate. Conversation is good.

That said, you should have read my whole post to say that I don't want Howson back here, but if say, Jim Nill comes available...you add him to your management team.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Bob Stauffer just mentioned that Brian Burke has returned to Anaheim as a pro-scout and that Scott Howson is set to resurface in a similar role. Is it safe to assume that he would be returning to Edmonton?

God, I hope not, after the mess he left Columbus in. I want nothing to do with him.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Howson's been considered a bright guy for a while. Even Columbus beat writers like Aaron Portzline have good things to say about him. One poster on the CBJ boards had the analogy that the Columbus franchise is like a garden and Doug MacLean dug up all the plants and salted the Earth, Howson came in and cleaned it up and re-seeded it but just couldn't get all the plants to grow. Everyone (who's thinking rationally) agrees that Columbus is in much better shape after Howson than it was before he left.

So, to reject him ending up in Edmonton because "Har, har, Columbus sucks" is short-sighted and silly.

Is that because he had them suck so bad, they had high draft picks? Alrighty then...

Old
02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Is that because he had them suck so bad, they had high draft picks? Alrighty then...
Stop being irrational.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
SCouting assignment involved not just draft but consultation on potential trades, assessment of who's available and wanted etc.

Look at who Howson got in the NAsh trade. I bet he was licking his chops at Dubinsky

Really I don't want someone like this involved in our trade consultation. Think we have enough guys that get robbed blind as it is.
Who do you expect him to get when the player demands a trade to one team? Ottawa didn't get any better with the Heatley deal.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who do you expect him to get when the player demands a trade to one team? Ottawa didn't get any better with the Heatley deal.
Maybe you missed this point. Rick Nash was a consummate loyal player to franchise. A dying breed. Who for years had been asking the club if he could get some help out there and for years was promised that. Only after the Carter debacle the team decided to tank and told Nash that it was rebuild, and thus the decision. Didn't need to go this way.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Maybe you missed this point. Rick Nash was a consummate loyal player to franchise. A dying breed. Who for years had been asking the club if he could get some help out there and for years was promised that. Only after the Carter debacle the team decided to tank and told Nash that it was rebuild, and thus the decision. Didn't need to go this way.
Did you miss the part where they open up the cheque book and the only one willing to come was Wisneiwski, Huselieus, Commodore and other plugs?

They had the same issues we did. His drafting is still really TBD, although Filatov has burned them. But there is still chances that Moore, Savard, Johansen, Jenner, Murray, Dansk etc.. pan out.

Nash was also so loyal, that he made sure he got paid. Never thought about taking a deal that could help a struggling financially franchise.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
So Howson and Ruff get canned... and Howson is the one rumoured to be on his way to Edmonton. Big Surprise.

Like a bad smell... you just can't get rid of the old boys club.
Yeah. It's like stepping in dog poop, because you like it.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Sounds like he already understands the plan then, should fit right in.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
Burke, like JD, always has a vision of an end product that he is building towards. That is what we lack imo
What was his end product in Toronto when he left after 4 years on the job? Missing #1 centre. Check. Missing goalie. Check. Missing truculance. Check. Missing playoffs. Check.

Good plan.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Sounds like he already understands the plan then, should fit right in.
Probably right.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
What was his end product in Toronto when he left after 4 years on the job? Missing #1 centre. Check. Missing goalie. Check. Missing truculance. Check. Missing playoffs. Check.

Good plan.
Burke had an end product in view, problem was he couldn't get it. He figured that everyone wanted to come to Toronto so he'd have no problem getting that end product. Problem was every year Burke was in Toronto the less guys wanted to go there.

He wasn't able to get #2 and #3 and draft a franchise set of twins. He wasn't able to take advantage of his friend who was losing one of the best all around d-men to ever play the game. Instead he got a #1 center with a concussion history and a bunch of gritty bottom 6 players and d-men.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Burke had an end product in view, problem was he couldn't get it. He figured that everyone wanted to come to Toronto so he'd have no problem getting that end product. Problem was every year Burke was in Toronto the less guys wanted to go there.

He wasn't able to get #2 and #3 and draft a franchise set of twins. He wasn't able to take advantage of his friend who was losing one of the best all around d-men to ever play the game. Instead he got a #1 center with a concussion history and a bunch of gritty bottom 6 players and d-men.
Ya, I'm sure all fired GM's have that plan and then roll out the excuses.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Getting Howson back. Are we living in a black hole of dumb?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Every time I read this thread title in the forum, I always read it as:

"Howson to Re-Surface ice in Edmonton?"

I'm thinking... sure... why not.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Every time I read this thread title in the forum, I always read it as:

"Howson to Re-Surface ice in Edmonton?"

I'm thinking... sure... why not.
I accept that.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
KLowe has been digging into advanced stats as of late, they also do have an advanced stat analyzer panel, that's what the Hack-a-thon contest was about. You could win a spot in their meetings.
I'm curious as to what that panel is actually doing with all those advanced stats and how it's helping the team?

The players the Oilers have gotten don't seem to be all that advanced and the way the team is playing... a troglodyte/dinosaur like Don Cherry can analyze their issues and they certainly don't need a lot of advanced stats to see the flaws and weaknesses on the team.

Of course maybe advanced stats helps to analyze how weak the team is in basically all areas.

Can't shoot, can't score... can't win.

That's about as advanced as it needs to get to analyze this ****-show right now.

Just saved a lot of people a lot of spreadsheet work.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
They do have a small team looking at advanced stats stuff. Info is quite reliable.
Yet none is provided.

Guess Ill just have to take your word for it.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
curious to know if Burke would become the GM in Edmonton--I think it is too small of a market for his ego
I think he'd take the job here. He's only a scout in Anaheim right?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:35 PM
jbean

This organization needs a breath of fresh air. We need to stop bringing in retreads. I think the Oilers have one of the most old fashioned and inept management groups in all of north american major league sports. Everything from bad pr, to bad trades, to bad on ice product, to having a corny contest to try and bring in an advanced stats person. Everything about this organization reeks of being bush league. Bringing in Howson, who took a page out of the Oiler's management PR book by throwing Nash under the bus for wanting out of his pathetic franchise, would do nothing to move this franchise forward.

I have said it once and I will say it again. The Oilers management need to get young and creative. Tambo could learn a thing or two watching a GM like Anthopolous work. I know it's a different sport, but everything he has done for the Blue Jays in such a short period of time makes the Oilers management look like a bunch of old farts coaching a tier 3 novice team in comparison.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:

Good plan.
He was fired before the team was rebuilt but he was consistent in his aquisitions. I don't really like Burke, but you can't say he doesn't "stay the course" in the players he aquires.

He invested in defense and a few pure snipers and filled the roster with players that are hard to play against which is his MO.

I don't know what our MO is other than fast and avoiding waivers at all costs

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote