HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Airplane/airport horror stories

Old
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Was on a short flight from Chicago to Minnesota.

Got on the plane and sat there for over an hour because they had to add hydraulic fuel or something.

Flight was like 55 minutes.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
6-7 years ago we went on a trip to Europe. Between 9/11 and that point, my parents insisted that me and my brother travel on our Canadian Passports instead of our American ones. This was problematic when we came back into the US with a Canadian Passport but no Green Card (which we didn't have because we were citizens). I now insist on traveling with both.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
The Qatar airways flight I was on arrives 45 minutes after the Air Canada flight (that I was supposed to be on) departed from Heathrow. From Heathrow to Toronto and from Toronto to Vancouver i boarded Air Canada. I fell asleep during the Heathrow to TO flight but TO to Vancouver was one of the worst flights ever. Crying babies, crappy food, crowded and instead of TVs on the back of the seats their were phones.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Tuff Gong

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong
A good airline story...

Was on a return flight home from Sydne Austrlia, we stopped in Hawaii for 5 days. Our return flight to Vancouver was a red eye leaving sometime around 10/11ish.
We are wwaiting in the terminal and the plane is delayed an hour, an hour later ts delayed another hour, by midnight or so they tell us the flight is cancelled due to mechanical issues and the flight would be rescheduled for 24 hours from then.

Heres where it got awesome. Air Canada put up all the passengers in rooms at the Marriott Waikiki with free meal vouchers for each meal the entire day, so we got to spend an extra day lounging around the beach, pool and eat on Air Canadas dime.

Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:22 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

vCash: 50
Flew from RDU to Boston two weeks after 9/11 - was the only passenger on the plane. Thanked the ground and flight crew personally for the great service.

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

First time I was on a plane when i was in 4th grade the landing gear wouldn't go down. We circled Newark Airport until for a bit and i guess the light for the landing gear didn't go on but they heard the gear go down so it was like a 50/50 that we would crash. Pretty righteous.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:13 AM
darko

Stuck in Bangkok airport for close to 10 hours.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/TravelFoodGuy/sta...85745385660416
Quote:
United Airline haters, read this breaking story from CNN: *******/W6w6Jt

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:38 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
My big horror story is when I was lying first class from Montreal to Paris and they ran out of 15 year Porto for after my meal. The horror of it all, how did they expect me to digest the meal without my digestif?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Great story

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

I love flying. I'm currently in college to become a pilot (I have my multi-engine commercial license + instrument rating, just need to graduate).

Had an internship at a corporate jet company last year... definitely going to try and do that over the airlines. The pilots don't get treated like crap there, and they only have to deal with a handful of passengers who generally aren't bat **** crazy.

And remember, flying is ~30 times safer than driving!

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fiend View Post
I love flying. I'm currently in college to become a pilot (I have my multi-engine commercial license + instrument rating, just need to graduate).

Had an internship at a corporate jet company last year... definitely going to try and do that over the airlines. The pilots don't get treated like crap there, and they only have to deal with a handful of passengers who generally aren't bat **** crazy.

And remember, flying is ~30 times safer than driving!
This is true, and I have no issue flying, I do so yearly. But the thought of a plane going down is pretty horrifying to me. Not the way I want to go out.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
southpaw24

Have a few that arent really that bad.

Flying out of Pearson in toronto with our dog to go to thunder bay when i was living up north we were a little late getting to the airport because of traffic, got the dog through security with only a few minutes to spare so we start getting ourselves through security and weve only got maybe 5 minutes to get through And my wife had the sprayable dog treat stuff in here bag along with 2 zipties (to keep the dogs cage shut) and the lady pulls us aside and goes through our bags.

We barely got on our flight which wouldve been bad to miss with our dog already loaded.

Another time going to leave thunder bay to go back to toronto with our 2 dogs lol. It was the night a bad storm went through southern ontario, the plane was supposed to leave at 4 or 5 i think and we finally got told to de-board the plane @ 9:30. waited in line to reshedule for 3 hours. Finally got through the line got put up at a hotel room nearby got maybe 2 hours sleep before we were up and on our way bac to the airport. What a pain in the ass it is travelling with animals

southpaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Hammettf2b

vCash: 5620
Great, i'm going on my very first flight on Monday and this thread pops up

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
flyershockey

I got stuck in Raleigh for about five hours yesterday because of the storm moving across the Northeast. We diverted to Raleigh after flying all the way to the destination (Norfolk, VA) when the crosswinds got too bad to land in. We almost had to go back to Atlanta which would have sucked considering that's where I started at and had been at all week. Oh well, I drank some beers at the bar next to the gate and still got home before midnight.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:11 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
People going to the US in the coming, days, weeks and months will have horror stories. Lineups at airports in Canada that have US Customs preclearance have been told to expect lineups of up to four hours.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Tuff Gong

Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong
Quote:

Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

Just watched the movie Flight last night. I was just pretty sad at the end.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
buckridesagain*

Flying back home to the states from santiago while climbing to 35,000ft we hit an air pocket and our plane dropped 300ft in 5 seconds. Scariest **** ever.

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Hmmm Ive spent a ton of time on planes and in airports internationally so I sure Ive got a few stories.

On of those WTF moments I had a few years back was when I was getting ready to fly to Irbil, Kurdistan on Kurdistan Aairlines (yes the ticket cover thingy was misspelled) and as we are waiting to taxi the the cabin starts to fill up with smoke-like substance which later turns out to be just the airconditioning acting up. Hardly reassuring.

Ive done a couple of massive distance covering, airport relay flights:

Vancouver - London (5 hrs) - Dubai (12hrs) - Bombay (6hrs) - Goa

Sydney - Bangkok (4 hrs) - Dubai (18 hrs) -Paris (10hrs) - Njamena, Chad (10 hrs) - Middle of nowhere, Chad.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:53 PM
tony d
The franchise

Nothing. Have had 6 flights (3 to Edmonton and back). The weirdest thing was being on the runway in Toronto for a half hour with the lights gone out in the plane before we took off.

03-09-2013, 10:01 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Anything involving DELTA.

Doesn't
Ever
Leave
The
Airport

Especially if that airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, or any flight going to it.
100% truth. Chicago O'Hare is also a delay nightmare.

But at least Chicago has Midway and for those on the north side, Milwaukee. Atlanta, well your options are pretty much Hartsfield or make a long drive to GSP, Birmingham, or Columbia.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

My family left me at home when i was young. Being the crafty kid i was i went back home and lived the life until some burglars tried robbing my house. i set up numerous traps around and within my house to ensure my safety. the traps worked when the two thieves tried getting into my house. they ended up getting arrested.

then a couple years later i took the wrong plane and ended up in new york instead of florida with the rest of my family. by strange coincidence i had my dads visa. lived the life again until the same two burglars from years ago tried killing me. I set up a house of traps again an the guys obviously got caught and then i made friends with some creepy old bird lady and got lots of gifts for xmas when my parents tracked the visa and came to new york with the whole family.

hate and love airports.

Last edited by Agron: 03-09-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Stupid TSA to allow small knives on flights

What purpose does this serve

I don't usually criticize the TSA and I poked fun at the guy who claimed he had a 30 or 40 minute wait in security, which is highly unlikely, but still...a small knife is probably not something you want to allow on board

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Stupid TSA to allow small knives on flights

What purpose does this serve

I don't usually criticize the TSA and I poked fun at the guy who claimed he had a 30 or 40 minute wait in security, which is highly unlikely, but still...a small knife is probably not something you want to allow on board
30-40 minutes in security isn't that unheard of sadly. I've had times where it's been over an hour before. On the other hand I've had times where I have prettymuch walked right up to the check in and had almost 2 hours to kill at the bar before my flight.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote