HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Saints11

vCash: 500
Really want no part of any Wild players that have been mention now that Buck is down. Interested in Iggy, Stafford, Jones (if even available), Murray, Hemsky, Umberger, Mueller, not sure who might be under the radar. I know one thing if Shero has his sights firmly set on someone, he'll go hard after them.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Left field.... discarding this season, who would you rather have from the start of 13/14 between Iggy at 5 million (3 years) and Horton at 5 million (5 years)?

Personally I have to say that Horton looks just about the best possible fit for us as regards needs/cap-structure going forward.

Obviously Boston are not dealing him this season, but it looks tough for them to retain him in the Summer.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Cullen
Seto

for

Niskanen
Kennedy
2nd

Kunitz - Crosby - Setoguchi
Cullen - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Bennett to minors and a full time job here next season.

Bennett - Crosby - Setoguchi
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

EDIT: Could be impossible now that Clutter is hurt.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Cullen
Seto

for

Niskanen
Kennedy
2nd

Cullen - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Remove the 2nd Round Pick and I see this being a possible deal happening. Its pretty balanced and consider it to be a hockey trade, as they call it.

Many here may not like the deal but it is what it is. I see this being a possibility (like I said, without the 2nd included).

Kennedy would replace Clutter or Seto on the 3rd line providing them with the energy/spark they need. Seto will easily be replaced with Zucker/Coyle. The desperately need a righthanded D to play in theuir top 4. What better than a cheap young righthanded D who comes from Minnesota like Niskanen.

Last edited by SprootsMasterFlex: 02-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Left field.... discarding this season, who would you rather have from the start of 13/14 between Iggy at 5 million (3 years) and Horton at 5 million (5 years)?

Personally I have to say that Horton looks just about the best possible fit for us as regards needs/cap-structure going forward.

Obviously Boston are not dealing him this season, but it looks tough for them to retain him in the Summer.
Horton and I would offer 7 years. He's the right age and matches all the needs for the Penguins.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:35 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Horton, although we'd be one winger short of forming the all-concussion line at that point...

Old
02-22-2013, 06:52 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Wow didn't realize Horton is only 27.

I'd still probably say Iginla, he is just an unbelievable hockey player and I don't see him dropping off in the next 3 years. Iginla is the type of player that would destroy the Flyers.

Horton works though, too.

And I'm sorry but I just don't see how Matt Cullen helps this team. He is a 3rd liner on a team full of them. We need help in the TOP 6 not the bottom 6. If we ever acquired help for the big boys, we could move players like Dupuis, Cooke to the bottom 6 where they actually belong. And that would, in exchange, help the bottom 6! Amazing huh?

Old
02-22-2013, 07:37 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
well the sermon does make a reference to outlet passing.

as to Shero's cautiousness, i think we'll reach nine or ten of these winger threads before a move is made. that'll be 10000 posts and the title will probably be "Winger Acquisition Thread | Part X: Winger is a Band (and I've Run Out of Literary References)"
That would be a fun poll. Waiting for Vegas odds on this one . . .

Old
02-22-2013, 07:38 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Now here's something that'll heat up this thread...

Sorry guys but I can't post it using my tablet... Check out Russo's Twitter. He mentions chatting with Don Waddell who is scouting Minny & Edmonton tonight and currently on a super long scouting trip. So far, based on tonight game, interesting how it involves 2 teams we won't play this year who have surplus of forwards and looking for help on D.
I swear, if all that comes of this is PM Bouchard or Matt Cullen . . .

Old
02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Cullen
Seto

for

Niskanen
Kennedy
2nd

Cullen - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

1. A slight overpayment (remove the 2nd, IMO).
2. A lack of what Cullen brings, IMO, is not what ails the 2nd line.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGator401 View Post
Someone should do one of these threads with big, mean D men. I would but I just don't know who most of them are out there, and whos available.
I personally feel that we need a dman like this. Regardless of our defensive depth, last year should've showed everyone that as many goals as you can score in the playoffs you can be outscored just as easy. Now our D is playing better, but I think we need this as much as we need a winger.

I also think we need to get more physical on our 3rd/4th lines. Once again, this is annoying considering Shero's love for 3/4 liners, but we need to replace Kennedy/Adams with guys that will hit anything that moves and still be able to play well. I like having Adams' experience and character for the playoffs, but would rather have someone who can play a little better.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:57 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I personally feel that we need a dman like this. Regardless of our defensive depth, last year should've showed everyone that as many goals as you can score in the playoffs you can be outscored just as easy. Now our D is playing better, but I think we need this as much as we need a winger.

I also think we need to get more physical on our 3rd/4th lines. Once again, this is annoying considering Shero's love for 3/4 liners, but we need to replace Kennedy/Adams with guys that will hit anything that moves and still be able to play well. I like having Adams' experience and character for the playoffs, but would rather have someone who can play a little better.
Actually, I think our D is playing about the same as it did last year. Pretty good on most nights, except when we play Philly, teams coming at them with playoff style forechecks (like Toronto did in our one game), etc.

Our D is playing better than the six game debacle against Philly. But, there's nothing in their play this year to suggest that a similar debacle isn't a real possibility.

Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think Stafford would be ideal, former teammate (maybe linemate) of Crosby's at Shattuck-St. Mary's
That's what I'm thinking. Move Kunitz back with Geno and play Stafford with Sid and Dups

Old
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. A slight overpayment (remove the 2nd, IMO).
2. A lack of what Cullen brings, IMO, is not what ails the 2nd line.
I'm not having hots for Cullen that much, but I guess his speed, and tenacious will bring some improvement on that line. He's pretty decent passer and last nights game showed that he has good wrister too. Overpayment but if that is what it takes to make this team better, I'd be willing to do it.

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 02-22-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old
PensFan68

Quote:
Cullen
Seto

for

Niskanen
Kennedy
2nd

Cullen - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

I personally don't like that deal. Don't really want Cullen, and would prefer someone other than Seto if we could. If we can't, I'd look into a deal around Nisky/Seto.

Only nice thing about this is it moves Dupuis to the 3rd line instead of TK where I think he'd be a huge asset.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Watched the highlights this morning when I woke up and saw that Matt Cullen played like a superstar

Old
02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Actually, I think our D is playing about the same as it did last year. Pretty good on most nights, except when we play Philly, teams coming at them with playoff style forechecks (like Toronto did in our one game), etc.

Our D is playing better than the six game debacle against Philly. But, there's nothing in their play this year to suggest that a similar debacle isn't a real possibility.
Reason I say they're playing better is because I feel Martin/Orpik are playing much better than they were last year. Those two playing at a higher level improves it, IMO.

I, do, however feel a debacle coming again this year. I'd rather improve our D (as in all around D including forwards) than our offense. Everyone makes it seem as if the only way we will succeed is with a winger, but we need to shut down other teams offense more than create our own. With the team we have now we should be able to net 3 goals every game in the playoffs, just a matter of playing better defensively than the other team.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:18 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I'm not having hots for Cullen that much, but I guess his speed, and tenacious will bring some improvement on that line. He's pretty decent passer and last nights game showed that he has good wrister too. Overpayment but if that is what it takes to make this team better, I'd be willing to do it.
If I'm overpaying to improve the top six, then I'd rather overpay for something that does more for the top six than Cullen.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Move Kunitz back with Geno and play Stafford with Sid and Dups
I'd like to see more than Dupuis and Stafford with Sid, especially for the playoffs. If Stafford is Sid's RW, then I'd rather leave Kunitz there and get Geno a LW (I will continue to insist that Malone on a reduced cap hit or Kulemin are better complements for Geno and Neal than Kunitz, who doesn't win boards battles or go to the net as consistently as those two).

Old
02-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I'd like to see more than Dupuis and Stafford with Sid, especially for the playoffs. If Stafford is Sid's RW, then I'd rather leave Kunitz there and get Geno a LW (I will continue to insist that Malone on a reduced cap hit or Kulemin are better complements for Geno and Neal than Kunitz, who doesn't win boards battles or go to the net as consistently as those two).
I agree with you about Kulemin but it will be a hefty price to pay for him and the Leafs are winning so I'm not even sure they would move him right now. Malone is not my favorite but if the Bolts eat some of the salary I wouldn't mind him coming back

Old
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I agree with you about Kulemin but it will be a hefty price to pay for him and the Leafs are winning so I'm not even sure they would move him right now. Malone is not my favorite but if the Bolts eat some of the salary I wouldn't mind him coming back
Kulemin hasn't been a factor on the scoresheet, and they'll have Frattin and then Lupul back in the next three weeks (maybe a little more for Lupul). I could see them being willing to move him then. He will cost a price that goes beyond the scoresheet, but with every shift where he does all the dirty **** allowing Geno to be the playmaker and Neal to be the finisher, you'll be one step closer to that price paid seem like a bargain.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
I agree that kulemin and Malone would be upgrades over Koon, but I'm just hesitant bringing back Malone since he's become so injury prone.

We are tied with the leafs in the standings, kulemin isn't a realistic option unless the leafs fall quickly. They better start losing every game.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:28 AM
thecore

I think Malone and Kulemin are two good possibilities. Malone is the subject of trade rumors every year and his value is greatly reduced by his contract. You might be able to get him for just a pick, like a 2nd, depending on if the Lightning pick up any of his salary. They have top 6 options. Of course, like any team, they probably aren't dealing him if they remain in the playoff race.

When a new GM comes in like in Toronto, anyone can be dealt. Kulemin is probably worth more to us than the Leafs. But once again, they are still in the playoff race for now.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Kulemin hasn't been a factor on the scoresheet, and they'll have Frattin and then Lupul back in the next three weeks (maybe a little more for Lupul). I could see them being willing to move him then. He will cost a price that goes beyond the scoresheet, but with every shift where he does all the dirty **** allowing Geno to be the playmaker and Neal to be the finisher, you'll be one step closer to that price paid seem like a bargain.
Kirk you know i'm not against Shero going out and getting Kulemin, but right now I just don't see it happening unless we overpay like crazy. Hope I'm wring and that Ray can find a way to fleece Nonnis

Old
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
I can't see Kulemin being traded by the Leafs. The Pens would offer prospects/picks and those do nothing for the Leafs.

I honestly don't see the Leafs doing anything major during the trade deadline...Kulemin is very important to the Leafs defensively and on the PK.

The only winger I see being traded from the Leafs would be a guy like MacArthur for a 2nd round pick or around there. He would be good for the Pens, he's a 20 goal scorer and puts up ~45 points. If he's on a line with Malkin/Crosby, he should get like 50-55 points at least.

Closed Thread