Top stars bypassing creative; news on Ziggler's push and Rhodes Scholars

Old
02-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Top stars bypassing creative; news on Ziggler's push and Rhodes Scholars

Quote:
- There is talk in WWE about how creative is handling Dolph Ziggler’s push. While he had strong wins over Randy Orton at Survivor Series and John Cena at TLC, he’s been constantly losing on television lately. He is still in line for a World Heavyweight title run, but the momentum he had at the end of 2012 has stalled out.

- WWE’s writing team has been in somewhat of a rut lately, with a lot of disagreements and politics being played. The recent flip flopping on the Team Rhodes Scholars breakup is seen as one of example of poor planning and lack of commitment to storylines.

Many of WWE’s top superstars, including The Rock, CM Punk, John Cena and others, are pitching their own ideas and not relying on creative to direct their characters.
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:07 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Well truthfully.. Ziggler had a feud with Cena that was half-assed and Jericho which was forgotten right away. He really is just floating around nowhere. I'd be pitching stuff, too.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
WWE creative is clueless

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
This isn't really surprising. Creative has been so bad with storylines that I don't blame anyone for just doing it themselves. I really wish they would just take a guy like Paul Heyman and make him Head of Creative but the McMahons loathe him and his opinion so much that it would never happen.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
WWE creative is clueless
Imagine you spent hours coming up with storylines, got them all approved by Steph, Vince and HHH, made everyone happy, and then suddenly John Cena doesn't feel it makes him look strong enough, so the script that the five of you fought over for 3 or 4 days is completely gone. Then you pitch the Rock, and he agrees to what you did, but he wants to completely destroy Benoit in the ring, not Cody Rhodes, and you tell Rock that Benoit is dead, and the Rock is all "Fine, bring back Kanyon, I always loved that 'Alliance MVP' shtick."

It has to be one of the least fullfilling jobs ever, because 90% of your good ideas are completely thrown out, and the other 10% are stolen by someone above you, completely screwed around with until they are no longer comprehensible, and you only get credit for them after they completely bomb.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
If Steph, Triple H and Vince approve of it, it's pretty much done. It's not like Cena gets the final say. Vince does. If Vince approves it, it's done.

Only problem is, Vince is bipolar and lives in his own world, so he'll say one thing and go back on it 20 minutes later most likely. He'd also stop a meeting for 20 minutes if he ever sneezed according to Paul Heyman. ****ing hilarious.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:41 AM
chuckdobbins

I really liked Ziggler's feud with Cena, but it was far too short. Dolph could have had a huge rub from beating Cena in their ladder match, but instead they just kinda swept it all under the rug.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Imagine you spent hours coming up with storylines, got them all approved by Steph, Vince and HHH, made everyone happy, and then suddenly John Cena doesn't feel it makes him look strong enough, so the script that the five of you fought over for 3 or 4 days is completely gone. Then you pitch the Rock, and he agrees to what you did, but he wants to completely destroy Benoit in the ring, not Cody Rhodes, and you tell Rock that Benoit is dead, and the Rock is all "Fine, bring back Kanyon, I always loved that 'Alliance MVP' shtick."

It has to be one of the least fullfilling jobs ever, because 90% of your good ideas are completely thrown out, and the other 10% are stolen by someone above you, completely screwed around with until they are no longer comprehensible, and you only get credit for them after they completely bomb.
As much as I hate to say it... you are right. That is a very good point. I'm sure tons of writers had a dream to fulfill their crazy and awesome ideas, but they get shut down.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
I really think they should allow the superstars more say in what goes on.. if creative is trying to figure out what to do next, let the person they're trying to write for actually contribute..

One of my favourite storylines in recent memory was S.E.S... and the thing is, it was Punk's idea to do it!! In his DVD, he talks about how he wrote a few months worth of material and gave it to Vince.. after that, creative basically took over.. and what happened? S.E.S. ain't around no more...

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

vCash: 450
Creative sounds like a surreal wasteland.

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
17futurecap

I think we should break up Rhodes Scholars.

Okay, and how should we move ahead with them as singles wrestlers?

I dunno, have someone else figure it out.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
UnrealMachine

I like Sandow a lot and think he's great as a singles competitor, but there is no room there right now. Him and Rhodes could do the most to advance themselves in the tag team division. Unfortunately, the WWE is so inept on how to run a tag team division that there is even less of an ability to advance yourself there at the moment. Maybe 3 years from now the WWE will do its "we're bringing back tag team wrestling" thing, again?

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Foy

Imagine all those things that would frustrate you that I mentioned above. Now imagine the times you have to change things because guys get injured. Or arrested. From everything I understand, the writing process is planned out month in advance, and every time you turn around they are having to rewrite everything. How many times a few months ago did we hear that either the Prime Time Players or Rhodes Scholars were going to win the Tag Titles any day now? And suddenly in the interim they have devastated the tag team division that they spent so much effort building up.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
no **** Punk , Rock and Cena are pitching ideas to the creative team. they all want the main-event.
i would be going nuts if i was Punk and drooped the belt to fight Taker and he cant wrestle so now they dont know what tp do with me.
and i would be pissed if i was Cena and wants that win over the rock and now they want to add Punk to my match and share the pay-check.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
no **** Punk , Rock and Cena are pitching ideas to the creative team. they all want the main-event.
i would be going nuts if i was Punk and drooped the belt to fight Taker and he cant wrestle so now they dont know what tp do with me.
and i would be pissed if i was Cena and wants that win over the rock and now they want to add Punk to my match and share the pay-check.
I have to think Cena is getting paid the same no matter who he competes with at Wrestlemania.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Imagine all those things that would frustrate you that I mentioned above. Now imagine the times you have to change things because guys get injured. Or arrested. From everything I understand, the writing process is planned out month in advance, and every time you turn around they are having to rewrite everything. How many times a few months ago did we hear that either the Prime Time Players or Rhodes Scholars were going to win the Tag Titles any day now? And suddenly in the interim they have devastated the tag team division that they spent so much effort building up.
Or they could just think of a backup option when they're thinking up the original idea... If they're brainstorming ideas, why not just use one of the "rejected" ones as the backup? It would give them time to improve on it if need be..

Honestly, I think it comes down to creative just being lazy.. When was the last time they put out an actual GOOD storyline and had it follow through to the end? They're basically just coming up with the minimum stuff and going with it.

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
Punk being added into that match would have zero impact on what Cena gets paid.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
with pay-check i meant more: "sharing the spotlight"
more like Benoit at WM XX...
he was schedule to face HHH one on one... HBK somehow got into the mainevent at WM in the spot-light and it went all the way through Backlash.
the matches were amazing, but Benoit deserved his one on one match without building Shawn vs HHH.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote