HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere?

Old
02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Danny Briere?

Question for Nashville fans:

If Danny Briere waived his NTC, would the Predators have interest in him? If so, what would you give up for him.

Quick summary on Briere currently. He has two more years after this one at a 6.5M cap hit, but his actual salary is 3M next year and 2M the following. Briere is pretty average in the regular season (maybe a ~50 points), but come playoff time he really picks up his scoring (about a PPG player). He can play both center and wing, but is a liability on defense, especially if you play him at center. You can mask it a bit if he plays wing. Really good on the PP down low in the Gretzky area. Good leader and reallly a good team guy overall.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post

If Danny Briere waived his NTC, would the Predators have interest in him? If so, what would you give up for him.

Quick summary on Briere currently. He has two more years after this one at a 6.5M cap hit, but his actual salary is 3M next year and 2M the following. Briere is pretty average in the regular season (maybe a ~50 points), but come playoff time he really picks up his scoring (about a PPG player). He can play both center and wing, but is a liability on defense, especially if you play him at center. You can mask it a bit if he plays wing. Really good on the PP down low in the Gretzky area. Good leader and reallly a good team guy overall.
What would it cost us?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:59 AM
jlsg

At 35 years old and declining stats I really don't see what he can offer us for what we would have to give up.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

with his defense, he wouldn't see 7 min a game with Trotz

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
What would it cost us?
1st rounder or D prospect + lower pick

Old
02-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
At 35 years old and declining stats I really don't see what he can offer us for what we would have to give up.
Declining, yes. But he would still be a top line player for Nashville. He does have 10 points in 15 games this year so it's not like he's totally lost it and he's not even on the Flyers top PP unit. He could see quite a bit more points if you put him on the top PP unit in Nashville.

But even so, in the playoffs he seems to pick his offensive game up quite a bit. Defensively he still sucks. But with a team like Nashville I think you could mask his defensive liabilities a bit. He's still a PPG player in the playoffs and he seems to score big goals all the time. That's really what this trade would be about for Nashville.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:49 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
with his defense, he wouldn't see 7 min a game with Trotz
Yeah I saw defensive liability and thought no way this happens. He would have to be a significantly better scorer to make up for the defense.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I'd consider any D on the farm not named Ekholm and a mid round pick. Can't see the motivation for the Flyers for that though, unless they're really desperate to pick up the cap space.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I kn ow "its just business" but I really dont see us dealing with the Flyers any time soon unless its a really sweet deal for us....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:

Those 4 bolded words make this a non-starter for us.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Do not want.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Jonesey
KCCO

Yeah, I don't see Poile lighting up the phone lines in Philly on this one. We'll pass.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:08 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Declining, yes. But he would still be a top line player for Nashville. He does have 10 points in 15 games this year so it's not like he's totally lost it and he's not even on the Flyers top PP unit. He could see quite a bit more points if you put him on the top PP unit in Nashville.

But even so, in the playoffs he seems to pick his offensive game up quite a bit. Defensively he still sucks. But with a team like Nashville I think you could mask his defensive liabilities a bit. He's still a PPG player in the playoffs and he seems to score big goals all the time. That's really what this trade would be about for Nashville.
He wouldn't be worth what we would have to give up. If Philly says yes to a 7th rounder and a bag of pucks, then sure. But you mention d prospect or 1st rounder, not even close to value.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Briere for a Shea Weber autographed puck.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I like Briere, especially as a postseason player, but he's 35 and has had trouble staying healthy. Unless the price was REALLY right, I think we could do better with our assets.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I would have been all over a deal like this a couple years ago, but he doesn't really fit in our plans right now.

The fact that he is not so great defensively doesn't bother me at all though. We need some guys on our team that think offense first.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote