HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/21/13 7PM Bowl of Oates: Gretzky's Mickey Mices vs. Adonis Leonsis' Frankfurters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
  #401
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well that would explain it.



I guess there are just no other forwards to play, given Laich and Mojo are hurt. Otherwise, yeah, it's inexplicable.

At this point, call up Garrett Mitchell or Mattias Sjogren and see what they've got, if anything. Place Johansson retroactively on the IR and there's your roster spot.
Totally agree, if they're not going to bring anything at this point, sit them and bring up some guys.....I'd love to see Mitchell get a shot.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
  #402
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,416
vCash: 50
With no replays seems we got facked on calls

/hoarse
//drunk
///angry

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 AM
  #403
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,556
vCash: 500
Is Ovy ever tickling the balls lately. So close...just finish already. He needs to stop rushing these glorious chances and look where he's shooting. But I love that he's getting these chances...break th damn already tho!!

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 AM
  #404
DanTHEMan71
Registered User
 
DanTHEMan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
The sad part is if they could put together a small winning streak, say of three games, they could still be within reach of the division crown. That doesn't seem likely.
Probably not happening and that's a generous way to put it. They'd need a monumental change in winning rate to even make the playoffs, let alone win the division. Check it out:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...ashington.html

After tonight's game we have a 4.5% chance to make the playoffs. 2% we finish 8th, 1% we finish 7th, and 1% we finish 3rd. We're in the weakest division in the league, but the other four teams would really have to screw up from now till the end.

The least we can hope for to get a decent (70%) chance to make the playoffs is if we go 20-9-3 from here on out.

Right now we've got a little over twice as many losses as we do wins, 10 to 5. I really doubt we'll be a team that suddenly reverses and starts winning twice as many games than lost come Saturday.

Being really optimistic, say we come close to 20-9-3 but only go 19-9-4. Regardless, we'd all say what a great effort they showed in the end. It would truly be a great stretch to watch! However, due to that 1 extra OTL, our chances to make it fall below 50% to 48%. Say that OTL is a regulation loss, our chances fall to 27%. Only 18 wins? Our chances fall to 12%...

Point is, every game now is massive. Our slow start now has given us no room for error from here on out.

A logical/rational decision would be to tank because we're not making the playoffs.
But because this business is about entertainment, management won't allow it. At the end of the day they need to keep fans somewhat hopeful to make money and, because most casuals don't look at this kind of data, each win or good effort may seem like a big step forward, when really, it's too late.

The season is virtually over. I assume McPhee is well aware of this and so I expect him to be a seller come trade deadline time. That is if he's still around then.

I'll still be watching though.

DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
  #405
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,377
vCash: 500
as far as i can tell johansson has a concussion

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:43 AM
  #406
capsfan528
Registered User
 
capsfan528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
plain and simple we got ****ed last night

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
  #407
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 50
this is going to be one of the worst seasons in recent memory. they'll be far too bad to even remotely compete with the best and, obviously, wont sniff the playoffs. but they'll win just enough games against similarly bad teams to put them out of the good-odds draft pick, likely ending up somewhere in the 7-9 region.

come on caps, death for seth!

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
  #408
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
this is going to be one of the worst seasons in recent memory.
It's essentially a mirror of 03/04.

Disappointing great players? Ovechkin = Jagr, Backstrom = Bondra.

Completely god ****ing awful defense? Schultz = Doig. Carlson = Boumeddienne. Poti = Kiwi.

Coaches who don't know dick? Butch = Oates.

I hope we get the same results as that season in that, we sell every ****ing minute asset we have.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
  #409
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,951
vCash: 500
Just imagine the prospects we can get for Ribero.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  #410
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Just imagine the prospects we can get for Ribero.
Cody Eakin and a 2nd.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:23 AM
  #411
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Cody Eakin and a 2nd.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
  #412
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
4-1 PP advantage for us, weird... i hope refs dont try to even it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
You were saying?
You know, its a first time i turned off the game while we still were tied (after Loko scored), and i think i saved my self a heart attack. Its said that we pretty much can predict the outcome...
...but because im such a dumb ass i read through the thread and decided to see this monumental **** up for my self (DVRed it). Good lord WTF?!!!

One sided reffing - CHECK
Dumb team that gave the refs ammunition to **** us - CHECK
OV trying like crazy without a ****ing point and punished for being physical - CHECK
Wishing we are still in the lock out - CHECK
Top 5 pick coming up - CHECK

This game should answer the question "To tank or not to tank?" We dont have to try, to us it happens naturally.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
  #413
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
as far as i can tell johansson has a concussion
What makes you say that? I don't even know what play he was injured on. I was under the impression it was more like Schultz's broken ankles than a real injury, but I guess there's no other explanation for Chimera to still be playing.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
  #414
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
What makes you say that? I don't even know what play he was injured on. I was under the impression it was more like Schultz's broken ankles than a real injury, but I guess there's no other explanation for Chimera to still be playing.
...and at the start on the 1st line at that!
Bring back Hanlon!

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
  #415
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
Ovi - Ribeiro - Perreault
Fehr - Backstrom - Brouwer

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:56 AM
  #416
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
After years of observation I have come to the conclusion that we cannot have one single bottom 6 player or bottom pairing defenseman on this team or the coaching will find a way to give them key minutes on the top line/top pairing game in and game out.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
  #417
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
The truth is, we don't have enough offenceive creativity on the roster to open things up even-strength, so we're forced to play this this basic, tight system.


We keep out of the penalty box in the 3rd and add a healthy Laich, and we could have won that game.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
  #418
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
After years of observation I have come to the conclusion that we cannot have one single bottom 6 player or bottom pairing defenseman on this team or the coaching will find a way to give them key minutes on the top line/top pairing game in and game out.
Bro,

We were in a good position going into the 3rd. Adam's system is basic, but it did okay for most of the game last night.

On the plus side: they did put out effort the entire game. This is workable.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
  #419
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500


Offensive creativity you say

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 AM
  #420
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
They dominated us ES in 1st, but i thought we had the advantage ES in 2nd. Quality of our scoring chances was certainly better than theirs in 2nd. As for 3rd, there was hardly any ES time to speak of.

I wouldn't describe the Capitals as 'lucky' in any respect in that game.
Ah, good point. Caps really did have something of an onslaught in the second. It just so happened that most of their attempts missed, rather than became shots on goal.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
  #421
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Bro,

We were in a good position going into the 3rd. Adam's system is basic, but it did okay for most of the game last night.

On the plus side: they did put out effort the entire game. This is workable.
I mean, we got to where we were because of chinky penalties and PP goals that were more luck/individual effort than system play. Devils took what they wanted when they wanted, and they didn't even seem all that on from what I saw. A bit similar to the Ottawa and Toronto games where the other team just takes the victory at the end because it's their pleasure.

I'm warming up to Oates a bit, don't mind giving him the tank season/potentially next season if no good candidates (Eakins, Laviolette, Cooper) are available, but at this point in the season the best (worst?) we can hope for is like 10th in the conference.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:11 AM
  #422
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Bro,

We were in a good position going into the 3rd. Adam's system is basic, but it did okay for most of the game last night.

On the plus side: they did put out effort the entire game. This is workable.
Is his system basic or too ****ing complex for our simpleton players to understand? I thought the latter was one of the excuses similar to "THERE WAS A LOCKOUT, NO CAMPS, NEW COACH" etc etc etc. Because you know...new coaches need time to adjust, just ask Les Habitants.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
  #423
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post


Offensive creativity you say
Well isn't that pretty.

I'm not comparing Semin to Perreault. But one element Perreault does bring is creativity despite the fact he ends up on the seat of his pants a lot. Maybe it's all part of his scheme.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
  #424
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I mean, we got to where we were because of chinky penalties and PP goals that were more luck/individual effort than system play. Devils took what they wanted when they wanted, and they didn't even seem all that on from what I saw. A bit similar to the Ottawa and Toronto games where the other team just takes the victory at the end because it's their pleasure.

I'm warming up to Oates a bit, don't mind giving him the tank season/potentially next season if no good candidates (Eakins, Laviolette, Cooper) are available, but at this point in the season the best (worst?) we can hope for is like 10th in the conference.
These games so remind me of my son's MYHA B-level travel team he was on, before his game improved and he went into A.

I realize that we're not going to win a Cup, or get near one. But at least Adam and Dale put systems in place that kept us in it, somewhat.

I agree on last night: take away the PP and where are we... but they did manage to score. That first goal was an especially good effort.

And, they didn't quit.

So, there were some positives.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  #425
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Is his system basic or too ****ing complex for our simpleton players to understand? I thought the latter was one of the excuses similar to "THERE WAS A LOCKOUT, NO CAMPS, NEW COACH" etc etc etc. Because you know...new coaches need time to adjust, just ask Les Habitants.
It's basic. watch them very closely, once they adjust to where the puck is, they snap right into formation. And it worked for 2 periods.

What I saw last night in what they did in prep for last nights game, was to take out some of the D's rushing the puck up at the drop of a hat. They were much more displined in that regard. Adam has their ear, and they are progressing. We're just challenged as to talent.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.