HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Eli Gold named Radio voice of Preds

Old
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
It's Official...good as Gold

It's official...the Predators announced today the hiring of Eli Gold as the team's radio play-by-play announcer.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?story_id=969

No news yet on a partner, but Gold was on 104.5 during the 3 o'clock hour...anybody catch that that can give us a brief review of his interview. All I caught was him telling "war stories" and the beginning of him discussing how he got this position.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Good choice, and a good idea, all around.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Cue up the sterotypical posts because Eli is also the Voice of NASCAR. He was on the zone this evening. He does Minor league Baseball, Alabama Football and Basketball, NFL football, Nascar, and now the Predators . His frequent flyer miles must be through the roof

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:18 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
He didn't really talk too much about the Predators. Willy and co. kind went all across the board with questions.

He did say that the Preds were thinking about a split prior to the 05-06 season but just didn't have time after the lockout ended to actually do the split.

He also said that at that time (around the lockout) that he talked with Pete and Terry and told them that he was interested in the job. He wanted to make sure Pete and Terry were OK with it and that they knew he wasn't trying to go behind anyone's back and come in and just take over the whole job.

He said he knows Poile pretty well. They've known each other for about 25 years. He actually knew Poile's father, Bud from long ago.

He got the Blues job when they decided to split their simulcast and now is doing the same thing here with the Predators.

He's very excited to come back to hockey.

He made a reference to Slapshot but I think it just went right over Willy, George, and Darren's heads.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:07 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
He made a reference to Slapshot but I think it just went right over Willy, George, and Darren's heads.
And that's why I want to see some new blood on that afternoon show. There has to be some well-rounded sportsfan in Nashville who's intelligent, with good communication skills, that really knows hockey. It would be a great benefit to the program. I like Willy. He's a good guy, and he pays attention to hockey. But he really doesn't know a whole lot about it other than being from the north. They need a guy who really knows hockey so that when the discussion turns to hockey, there are two people that can form and speak legitimate opinions along with one "expert." They just don't have that now. And neither does the morning show, though all three of those guys know their hockey on a level similar to that of Daunic.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when they have hockey players/people on the Zone. In my opinion, Mark Howard is the only 104.5 employee that appears capable of routinely asking questions that die-hard Predators fans are interested in. There's very few things more frustrating than when Pierre is on the morning show and they fail to ask him great questions. It's an invaluable chance to learn something about hockey, but rarely does it present itself in their interviews.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:50 AM
hsvhockey

That's awesome. Some of my earliest hockey memories are eli calling the old birmingham bulls back in the WHA days. Guess i'll have to catch some games on the radio now.

hsvhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Kvasha12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
And that's why I want to see some new blood on that afternoon show. There has to be some well-rounded sportsfan in Nashville who's intelligent, with good communication skills, that really knows hockey. It would be a great benefit to the program. I like Willy. He's a good guy, and he pays attention to hockey. But he really doesn't know a whole lot about it other than being from the north. They need a guy who really knows hockey so that when the discussion turns to hockey, there are two people that can form and speak legitimate opinions along with one "expert." They just don't have that now. And neither does the morning show, though all three of those guys know their hockey on a level similar to that of Daunic.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when they have hockey players/people on the Zone. In my opinion, Mark Howard is the only 104.5 employee that appears capable of routinely asking questions that die-hard Predators fans are interested in. There's very few things more frustrating than when Pierre is on the morning show and they fail to ask him great questions. It's an invaluable chance to learn something about hockey, but rarely does it present itself in their interviews.
I couldn't have said it better!

It's hard to believe that hockey has thrived here as much as it has with the lack of decent radio, print and television media covering the sport.

I couldn't agree more about your comments on Mark Howard either... he is hands down the only guy that knows what he is talking about when it comes to hockey. The other guys really need to stick to Titans, SEC sports and Vandy athletics, because it's become clear (to me anyway) that none of them are well steeped in anything that isn;t directly linked to the south.

Kvasha12* is offline   Reply With Quote