HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Why is Bud Holloway not on your team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 03:40 PM
  #1
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Why is Bud Holloway not on your team?

Genuine question. Does anyone know what Lombardi plans to do with him? I see no reason why this guy isn't in the NHL.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
  #2
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,939
vCash: 500
He is a Group VI UFA after the season, so he doesn't factor into the Kings plans, unless they can sign him to a contract after his season is done in the SEL. I don't expect that to happen.

There's been a great deal of debate over Bud the past few seasons, as well as some for Moller. I expect Bud will be returning to North America at some point, likely next season, to take a run at making an NHL team. Any team that needs a top six forward next year will likely appeal to Bud.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:15 PM
  #3
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
He would have likely been the 1st forward called up last season, but when he wasn't guaranteed an NHL roster spot he bolted to Europe for more money. Can't blame the guy for looking out for his family. He may get a shot with another organization after he becomes an UFA.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
  #4
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Genuine question. Does anyone know what Lombardi plans to do with him? I see no reason why this guy isn't in the NHL.
He isn't a former Flyer....

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
  #5
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
No further comment from me.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
  #6
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,087
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
He isn't a former Flyer....


108/10

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:29 AM
  #7
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Genuine question. Does anyone know what Lombardi plans to do with him? I see no reason why this guy isn't in the NHL.
Basically he got impatient, took some bad advice from his agent, and then went for a bigger paycheck to play in Sweden. Had he waited last season and played in Manchester, most feel he'd have been one of the 1st call ups and who knows, he might've got his name on the cup like King and Nolan. After the interview Lombardi gave about him leaving for Sweden (he wasn't happy), most likely he'll will probably do nothing and just let him walk.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:33 AM
  #8
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Basically he got impatient, took some bad advice from his agent, and then went for a bigger paycheck to play in Sweden. Had he waited last season and played in Manchester, most feel he'd have been one of the 1st call ups and who knows, he might've got his name on the cup like King and Nolan. After the interview Lombardi gave about him leaving for Sweden (he wasn't happy), most likely he'll will probably do nothing and just let him walk.
Pretty much this ^

A bit off topic, but who was the guy on these boards that used to show up in every thread like this, bad mouth DL for not giving Bud a one-way contract and always acted like he knew Holloway personally? I remember somebody would always joke about him being Holloway's dad or something... Good stuff.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
  #9
Harks
Registered User
 
Harks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Malmö
Country: Sweden
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Update on the "Swedes":
  • Oscar Moller 4+1 and Holloway 0+5 yesterday in the 9-1 win.(Club record)
  • Moller signed 4 new year with Skelleftea 2 days ago. Will stay here if you guys don't give him a deal.
  • Moller has 16 G in 23 games which make him the most efficient goalscorer in the league with a 0.7 AVG. 23 p total.
  • Holloway has most points total by a foreigner in SEL history with his 65p in 50 games. The all-time scoringrecord has Loob with 76p. 5 games to go.
  • New club-record in points. Pre was 63 and was back in the 70s.
  • All time record for assists in the league is 50. Bud has 46 atm.
  • Bud also leads shots and is ranked 11th(leauge) in checks.

Highlights Skelleftea-Brynas

Pretty good seasons by both thus far.

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
  #10
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harks View Post
Update on the "Swedes":
  • Oscar Moller 4+1 and Holloway 0+5 yesterday in the 9-1 win.(Club record)
  • Moller signed 4 new year with Skelleftea 2 days ago. Will stay here if you guys don't give him a deal.
  • Moller has 16 G in 23 games which make him the most efficient goalscorer in the league with a 0.7 AVG. 23 p total.
  • Holloway has most points total by a foreigner in SEL history with his 65p in 50 games. The all-time scoringrecord has Loob with 76p. 5 games to go.
  • New club-record in points. Pre was 63 and was back in the 70s.
  • All time record for assists in the league is 50. Bud has 46 atm.
  • Bud also leads shots and is ranked 11th(leauge) in checks.

Highlights Skelleftea-Brynas

Pretty good seasons by both thus far.
Neither are former Flyers and I'm still not their father,

Denny Crane.


On topic: Yes, they are quite decent SEL players right now.

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:59 AM
  #11
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harks View Post
  • Moller signed 4 new year with Skelleftea 2 days ago. Will stay here if you guys don't give him a deal.
Awww... That makes me a little sad to hear. I was hoping that since Moller left with the Kings blessing they'd be able to work something out and have him return after his current deal is up. That doesn't seem like it'll happen now.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
  #12
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Awww... That makes me a little sad to hear. I was hoping that since Moller left with the Kings blessing they'd be able to work something out and have him return after his current deal is up. That doesn't seem like it'll happen now.
The way Harks phrased it, it sounds like he has an outclause to come back to the NHL. Considering the numbers he's put up so far this year, I'd imagine DL will at least discuss the idea of a contract with him. We'd have to at least qualify him to keep his rights, and IIRC that's a $750,000 offer. I wonder what his SEL salary is.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:14 PM
  #13
HookKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Basically he got impatient, took some bad advice from his agent, and then went for a bigger paycheck to play in Sweden. Had he waited last season and played in Manchester, most feel he'd have been one of the 1st call ups and who knows, he might've got his name on the cup like King and Nolan. After the interview Lombardi gave about him leaving for Sweden (he wasn't happy), most likely he'll will probably do nothing and just let him walk.
Impatient? More like fed up. He had every reason to believe he would never get called up since he never even got a sniff -- considering many considered him Manchester's most deserving...who knows what went on in the locker room but I don't blame him one bit for being ticked off and taking a powder.

HookKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  #14
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,939
vCash: 500
I don't blame him either. I'm not saying I would have done the same myself, but after 3 seasons as a pro and no call up, nor a guarantee of one, I can understand deciding to elect to go for a bigger paycheck elsewhere.

It's been a worthwhile gamble by the looks of it, he'll get a shot at an NHL contract I bet this off-season.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  #15
Harks
Registered User
 
Harks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Malmö
Country: Sweden
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The way Harks phrased it, it sounds like he has an outclause to come back to the NHL. Considering the numbers he's put up so far this year, I'd imagine DL will at least discuss the idea of a contract with him. We'd have to at least qualify him to keep his rights, and IIRC that's a $750,000 offer. I wonder what his SEL salary is.
Yes, practically every player in Sweden has an out of their contract if the team who owns them makes an offer or any want to pick them up as UFA's. But there are some dates where it's regulated. UFA's are June 15th but don't really know which date RFA's got. July 30th?

I read somewhere(not 100%) that he's yours until the new contract goes out and that's why the lenght of it, as he doesn't want to go to KHL or another swedish club in the time being, only Skelleftea or LA. After 16/17 he becomes an UFA if you guys haven't signed him. So you'll have time.

Still needs to get stronger along the boards and with the puck to get there though. Give him a couple years atleast!

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:57 PM
  #16
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Impatient? More like fed up. He had every reason to believe he would never get called up since he never even got a sniff -- considering many considered him Manchester's most deserving...who knows what went on in the locker room but I don't blame him one bit for being ticked off and taking a powder.
That's what I've heard as well, and money wasn't even that huge of a factor(although it's quite a raise, so obviously it helps). Can't blame a guy for being fed up considering how unlikely it was he'd ever get his chance, so he took his fate into his own hands and it's working. Should be in the KHL or NHL next season.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:02 PM
  #17
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,319
vCash: 500
I hope we don't lose him I'd be pissed if we do, kings throw away good talent too often

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:16 PM
  #18
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Impatient? More like fed up. He had every reason to believe he would never get called up since he never even got a sniff -- considering many considered him Manchester's most deserving...who knows what went on in the locker room but I don't blame him one bit for being ticked off and taking a powder.
A 22 year old with only 3 years of pro experience gets ticked off because he hasn't been called up? Sounds like another hockey player with a sense of entitlement. He'd never cut it in the Detroit organization. You want to know the opposite of Holloway...Slava Voynov. The dude played in the AHL, paid his dues, never got fed up because HE wasn't called up when HE thought HE was ready. He could've bolted for the KHL, instead waited and has his name on the Stanley Cup.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:33 PM
  #19
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
A 22 year old with only 3 years of pro experience gets ticked off because he hasn't been called up? Sounds like another hockey player with a sense of entitlement. He'd never cut it in the Detroit organization. You want to know the opposite of Holloway...Slava Voynov. The dude played in the AHL, paid his dues, never got fed up because HE wasn't called up when HE thought HE was ready. He could've bolted for the KHL, instead waited and has his name on the Stanley Cup.
Or Alec Martinez, Trevor Lewis, Dwight King, Kevin Westgarth and the hundreds of other players who have to play two or more seasons of the AHL to get a shot at the NHL.

It's part of the process. Some guys don't like that process, others embrace it. Nature of the beast.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:26 PM
  #20
svartgul
Hata Löven
 
svartgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
All of the players you've mentioned were all called up withing their second season in the AHL and at a younger age than Holloway that didn't even get a maybe after three full seasons. Fail.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
  #21
HookKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
All of the players you've mentioned were all called up withing their second season in the AHL and at a younger age than Holloway that didn't even get a maybe after three full seasons. Fail.
Exactly.

HookKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
  #22
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,387
vCash: 500
I don't think words like "impatient" or "ticked off" are applicable here. It's a business decision.

He played out his contract, and then had a decision to make; stay with the organization that passed over him on previous occasions, or look for new opportunities. He chose the latter.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:14 AM
  #23
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,214
vCash: 500
Don't care the guy is not a King , also he doesn't appear to be in the Kings plans.

Move along nothing to see here.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:23 AM
  #24
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 500
Anyone could see that there would have been an opportunity for him to grab a spot last season, that's what was so odd about his decision. I don't hold any ill will against him but he made his choice and he missed out on an opportunity to get his name on the cup. To me it seems like it was a financial decision because he would have stayed if he got a 1-way deal, which only guarantees more money and doesn't change much of anything else.

And it's obvious that he was upset about not called up but he was still on his entry level contract. And as I remember it we didn't really have an injury to a scoring winger that season. He did have some great showings in the playoffs but he hardly set the league on fire during the regular season, he had his chance to grab a roster spot in training camp like everyone else.

He'll probably be offered a contract by some NHL club and could very well be another Purcell, Moulson (and Loktionov?) type of forward for that team, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. It's not like it was the Kings decision for him to leave.

I'm glad to see Möller is doing well but like Holloway I don't see a future with him on the Kings either, but for different reasons.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
  #25
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I hope we don't lose him I'd be pissed if we do, kings throw away good talent too often
Yes that's starting to annoy me as well.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.