Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cal Clutterbuck UPD: Placed on IR

Old
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
On the bright side at least it wasn't Brodin, Parise, or some other more important player. I'm perfectly content with bringing Mitchell up to the 3rd line RW until Clutter is able to come back.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:47 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
This whole event makes me want to resign Clutter even more. Just because almost everyone else hates him! It's fun having a controversial player, that we all know plays relatively clean.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
This whole event makes me want to resign Clutter even more. Just because almost everyone else hates him! It's fun having a controversial player, that we all know plays relatively clean.
I completely agree. Clutter is awesome for a 3rd liner.

Sharppi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Clutter would be a monster in the playoffs, in no way do I ever want to play against him in the postseason. I love having this guy on the team. He brings good grit and a physical punch, while at the same time isn't a bad offensive player. No offense to Rupp or Konopka, but they don't have near the impact as this guy does.

Even if he does shoot high and wide every time.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Clutter would be a monster in the playoffs, in no way do I ever want to play against him in the postseason. I love having this guy on the team. He brings good grit and a physical punch, while at the same time isn't a bad offensive player. No offense to Rupp or Konopka, but they don't have near the impact as this guy does.

So...what you're saying is that Clutterbuck is basically Pascal Dupuis....only more physical???

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:

This needs to end. And soon. But on a more serious not he needs to get healthy as well.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:01 AM
valkynax

Nux fan here, was watching the last bit of your game just for the hell of it and saw...THAT.

watched Hall's reaction after game on tsn as well, and I have to say his response is a bit...unnerving.

he doesn't seem sorry - he's not happy about the penalty.

" i could have hit him in the head; that thought crossed my mind; and I really didn't want to bury him."

I...really don't know what to say about that...remark. -_-

valkynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkynax View Post
Nux fan here, was watching the last bit of your game just for the hell of it and saw...THAT.

watched Hall's reaction after game on tsn as well, and I have to say his response is a bit...unnerving.

" i could have hit him in the head; that thought crossed my mind; and I really didn't want to bury him."

Wow. Real class act that one is.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:42 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Hopefully Cal is not very very bad. But when you're hitting with bent kneee ahead.. no matter what's the initial or main impact point. It is reckless play.

It's quite irritating when you see a hit gone bad, causing an injury.. People try to analyze accurate impact points or timings by fractions of a second, or could opponents head be half inch higher, who turned and when and so on. Like those small things were some excuses. It wasn't a controlled hit, it went wrong, there was an injury. So it wasn't a good hit. Bad play.

W75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
So...what you're saying is that Clutterbuck is basically Pascal Dupuis....only more physical???
The same Pascal that scored 25 goals last year all of which were even strength not to mention without Crosby.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:03 AM
behemolari

Quote:

I'll bet with that comment he just signed his fate

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:12 AM
forthewild

there is no way other then blind homerism to defend that hit, not only was it blind sided, not only was a knee to knee hit, but Cal didn't even have the damn puck. Taylor Hall is a dirty player, there is no way to dance around this issue, he's just a dirty player. you look at that hit and you see just how dirty it is, Hall could have stepped up and hit him, (which would have been dirty because Cal didn't have the puck) but he kneed him.

dirty play by a dirty ******* what else do you expect

I guarantee you that if Cal hit Hall like that Oil nation would be calling for Cal to be throw out from the league and for Wild to send Brodin+Dumba+12 1sts to them as compensation.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:26 AM
LaGu

Quote:

To be fair he did say some more things with regards to that specific line.

" i could have hit him in the head; that thought crossed my mind; and I really didn't want to bury him, to bad. I just thought that the puck was right there, and for that instance he was a little bit vulnerable but I didn't want to catch him with his head down, or hit him in the head, I just wanted to get a piece of him and hopefully get the puck back.

There's a lot that goes into the game, I mean the game is so fast that you have to make a decision in a split second. I made the decision to go in and hit him. I didn't feel like I lead with my knee, I have been hit like that before and it's not a good feeling."

In the end I agree that it wasn't pretty and it he may face a suspension for it but I do think he was trying to lead with his hip. The "problem" was that he avoided a full frontal hit which would have been a hit to the head seeing as Clutterbuck had his head down. After the decision to hit was made I think that it could have gone down the way it did, or it would have been a big hit to the head.

I don't think he meant for the hit to be bad but sometimes this happens and Clutterbuck himself is no angel when it comes to borderline hits (and I don't think he should be).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:17 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
To be fair he did say some more things with regards to that specific line.

" i could have hit him in the head; that thought crossed my mind; and I really didn't want to bury him, to bad. I just thought that the puck was right there, and for that instance he was a little bit vulnerable but I didn't want to catch him with his head down, or hit him in the head, I just wanted to get a piece of him and hopefully get the puck back.

There's a lot that goes into the game, I mean the game is so fast that you have to make a decision in a split second. I made the decision to go in and hit him. I didn't feel like I lead with my knee, I have been hit like that before and it's not a good feeling."

In the end I agree that it wasn't pretty and it he may face a suspension for it but I do think he was trying to lead with his hip. The "problem" was that he avoided a full frontal hit which would have been a hit to the head seeing as Clutterbuck had his head down. After the decision to hit was made I think that it could have gone down the way it did, or it would have been a big hit to the head.

I don't think he meant for the hit to be bad but sometimes this happens and Clutterbuck himself is no angel when it comes to borderline hits (and I don't think he should be).
Bottom line. He DID lead with his knee and he caught Clutter's knee/thigh area as the primary point of contact. I don't get his stupid "could've hit him in the head" comments at all. That's some awkward **** right there.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
Bottom line. He DID lead with his knee and he caught Clutter's knee/thigh area as the primary point of contact. I don't get his stupid "could've hit him in the head" comments at all. That's some awkward **** right there.
I think he was trying to explain why the hit turned out as it did by saying that he was actually trying to avoid laying a hit to the head that could possibly resulted in a concussion. Basically what he says there is that he didn't want to hit Clutterbuck in such a way that it would be dangerous, and that he changed the point of impact because of it.

I agree that it was not the best way to express himself but I think everyone should relax a little bit. It's hockey we're talking about and bad hits, intentional and non-intentional, is not really a rare thing. It is always unfortunate, and emotional when you're a fan of team which is at the bad end of a play like this, but it's part of the game and I don't really see it going away anytime soon.

Hopefully Clutterbuck is not badly injured, and I wish him quick recovery.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:05 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Pic in this Edm Journal article shows clear this was no hip check by Hall. Point of contact: knee #oilers #mnwild http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...l-clutterbuck/
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...173377/photo/1
nuff said

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:41 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
The same Pascal that scored 25 goals last year all of which were even strength not to mention without Crosby.
I'm aware of that...but if you were on these boards way back when Dupuis was on this squad, you'd know what I was talking about.

EDIT:

Looks as though the decision on Hall's punishment should come later today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416570

Last edited by MuckOG: 02-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

"Superstar" or not, that was a dangerous and reckless hit and Hall's status in the Oilers organization shouldn't have any weight toward the degree of the NHL's decision. The only thing sadder than the fans who are defending Hall is the fact that Clutter could be out for awhile. I know there are always homer reactions from both sides in every situation like this, but Shanahan & Co. needs to make the right call here.

Hopefully, we get some good news about the injury soon.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Justin Bourne believes it was reckless and stupid but probably not intentional

Good to see third parties aren't giving Hall a free pass.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I think most un-biased outlets are leaning towards that. Hopefully Shanaban takes note.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Justin Bourne believes it was reckless and stupid but probably not intentional

Good to see third parties aren't giving Hall a free pass.
Thats a good take and probably the way it should be judged.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Sportserie

I hope he gets a 3 game suspension but I bet he gets 1, if that.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
gqmixmaster

So basically Hall saw that if he hit him proper then he probably would have caught his head and he bailed on hitting him square which left it as a piece of him instead.

I have watched almost all of taylor hall's games, he isn't dirty but he can be physical sometimes and I think its that his skill at being physical hasn't caught up to new rules and the NHL yet.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
So basically Hall saw that if he hit him proper then he probably would have caught his head and he bailed on hitting him square which left it as a piece of him instead.

I have watched almost all of taylor hall's games, he isn't dirty but he can be physical sometimes and I think its that his skill at being physical hasn't caught up to new rules and the NHL yet.
All that maybe true...I think that Bourne blog is spot on, that was a selfish play by Hall and he must know that he will need to keep his head on a swivil on March 3rd in St. Paul

Old
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

^since when has it been acceptable in the rules to go knee to knee with a guy?

00xtremeninja is offline   Reply With Quote