HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
  #1
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,098
vCash: 500
Awards:
2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ok, lay it on me, what have you seen that makes you say that.

Again, I don't disagree, but when you say for certain I have to ask why.
I think his mobility has improved leaps and bounds. He markedly better this season at turning his skating orientation from backwards to forwards. His footwork is better. He's not as prone to allowing guys to get around him on the outside now. I never saw straight-line skating as a big issue for him, but rather that he lacked the agility and quick bursts to contain speedier forwards. It's not so much of an issue for him now.

His gap control used to make it look like he was lost. He'd either leave way too much distance between he and his man, or get right up on him, which coupled with the aforementioned lack of lateral skating ability, made him look like a pylon to fleet-footed forwards. The latter was extremely annoying since he has such a long reach. There was no reason to keep such a small gap. I don't see that this year, particularly over the past few weeks. He's more consistent at maintaining proper gaps.

He has also learned to stop following the puck up the wall, or leaving his zone to attempt a big hit. It just seems to me that he has a greater understanding of positional defense in general. Rather than chasing the play, he's in better position to be dictating where the play moves. He doesn't look like he's playing catch-up.

McIlrath is actually beginning to resemble a guy whose play warranted a first round pick, rather than a guy who was drafted for no reason other than his imposing figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
You said 'he kid is going to be a bigger, nastier Brooks Orpik. He'll be a player for us, for sure'

That's not a projection
Fair enough. The Orpik comparison is my projection. The last bit was just me feeling cocky.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #2
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Good insight, alot of good things mentioned about his development. I agree with almost all of it.

Yet, last night the reviews were not very good, I'd like to see what happened on the two goals he was on for at even strength.

He's not perfect though, no one should be saying he is.

And thats all I'm trying to say - tune down the cocky.


Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  #3
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,098
vCash: 500
Awards:
I didn't see last night's game--I didn't even know they were playing.

I will try to watch the archived stream tonight to see what happened.

EDIT: And yes, he is far from perfect. I didn't mean to imply anything other than my belief that he is improving significantly.

First goal: CT turns it over, leading to a 1-on-4 through the middle. McIlrath was going for a change when it happens, and tries in vain to poke the puck from the puck carrier as he skates over the blue line. The guy drops it back to the trailing RW, McIlrath follows the initial puck carrier. RW takes the shot, Talbot makes the save, McIlrath clears his man from the crease, rebound is kicked out to the wide side where another trailing Ice Caps player that joined the rush is there to fire it into the half-empty net. 4 CT players on one side of the ice, the fifth never got back. McIlrath did okay on the play.

Second goal: 3-on-2, play comes down the middle, center dishes to the LW who fires a soft wrister from the top of the circle. Missiaen makes the initial save, but the puck lays in the crease. McIlrath is either completely unaware that the puck is loose, or his stick is stuck in Missiaen's legs--can't tell from the ******-quality video. McIlrath's man taps it in.

First goal was a ****** line change/turnover, McIlrath actually did as he should have. Second goal, I don't know what he was doing.


Last edited by nyr2k2: 02-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
  #4
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Michael Sauer had 2 points in his first 30 AHL games. He wasn't an offensive dynamo by any stretch, but that's okay as he was focusing on refining his defense. He had 15 points his rookie season with the Rangers, and you could tell he had enough poise and ability to become a 25-point guy on a regular basis. He was tasked first and foremost with becoming an adept defender, which is why the offense was slower to develop.

McIlrath is much the same. He's a defensive defenseman that's clearly focused on that side of the puck. We drafted him to crush people and lock down the opposition. That's what he's learning to do. The offense will come. He's already showing an increased willingness to join the rush and to pinch, and though he has nothing to show for it has occasionally exhibited a good, hard shot. To become a successful pro, he needed to improve his positioning and gap control. He has developed quite a bit in just a season's time in those areas. I promise you that no one in the organization is the least bit concerned by his point totals.

Look, I HATED the pick. Couldn't believe it. I got over that and started evaluating him for what he was. He's developing well. The kid is going to be a bigger, nastier Brooks Orpik. He'll be a player for us, for sure.
Could not agree more.

Pizza is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
  #5
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I love it people coming around to the undertaker . Remember the night before the draft I called this pick on mouths radio show and I loved the idea god I got killed on here. This kid is all heart I love it

Dagoon44 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
  #6
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,063
vCash: 500
2/17/13 game.

Not a great fight but nice to see him sticking up for his teammate. Looked like McIlrath stunned Stewart a bit with a short jab.


wolfgaze is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 08:09 PM
  #7
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Didnt see tonight's game, so obviously without my support the team collapsed again.

i cant compare Bickel to McIlrath because they are in fingerer leagues, but my opinion is that he is better than Eminger already. Would you agree?
Eminger looks pretty bad in Hartford. Thought he'd add more.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 09:49 PM
  #8
Joey Bones
Registered User
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Eminger looks pretty bad in Hartford. Thought he'd add more.
What do you mean by bad? Is he not producing?

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
  #9
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I love it people coming around to the undertaker . Remember the night before the draft I called this pick on mouths radio show and I loved the idea god I got killed on here. This kid is all heart I love it
I was pretty excited about McIlrath but knowing that you called the pick and like him makes me worried again. You do realize if he's going to be anything more than a 6th D-man the Rangers wouldn't want him to fight, right?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 10:57 PM
  #10
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I was pretty excited about McIlrath but knowing that you called the pick and like him makes me worried again. You do realize if he's going to be anything more than a 6th D-man the Rangers wouldn't want him to fight, right?
Why why why do you and other just not stop with the single minded comments ? You do know mcD and Kreider are my two favorite players right? You do know I love hockey not mma I just know hockey is played tuff and until fighting is banished you need tuff guys ,, stop trying to bury me like the rest and get to know me

Dagoon44 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
  #11
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Why why why do you and other just not stop with the single minded comments ? You do know mcD and Kreider are my two favorite players right? You do know I love hockey not mma I just know hockey is played tuff and until fighting is banished you need tuff guys ,, stop trying to bury me like the rest and get to know me
I'm partially busting your balls. I think you need tough guys that can play, not goons like your handle. I think it's an embarrassment to the league that some teams carry guys like Colton Orr that at forward have 22 career points in almost 400 games. No other sport carries players that can't play the game at all.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  #12
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
What do you mean by bad? Is he not producing?
It's hard to say. He just isn't playing as solid and productive as I thought he would be.

It's also hard to say that he's bad because he is one of six d-men that includes Sean Collins. He's pathetic. But Eminger only stands out occasionally for me. I've seen a few lazy passes and some disappointing efforts. Where Matt Gilroy exceeds...Eminger does nothing. His play looks like he takes his competition for granted. That's just observation, no idea what his endgame is.

I'd like to add a commentary on Blake Parlett. The guy has stepped up as far as a physical game goes. He's been nailing guys along the corner boards, sometimes for penalties, but mostly for gain. I think it's great, because it shows he's training to win one of these very coveted d-man spots.

Jyri Niemi, tho, our Lord and Savior, needs to always play.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:48 PM
  #13
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Why why why do you and other just not stop with the single minded comments ? You do know mcD and Kreider are my two favorite players right? You do know I love hockey not mma I just know hockey is played tuff and until fighting is banished you need tuff guys ,, stop trying to bury me like the rest and get to know me
I'm going to sympathize with you right now. I think you and I have had a few differences over the many years as far as the AHL team has been concerned.

I've HATED players like Jared Nightingale who have seemed to been kept around for their fighting. Those players seem like a distant past in the league. Hockey in the NHL is different and in turn is different in the minors. Some guys fight to stay on a roster, but most are trying to play the game. It's changed a lot.

McIlrath *MIGHT* be a fighter his whole career but he is going to be one that is going to pick and choose. If he fully develops he's going to be the defenseman that "scares" and disrupts an offensive attack. He'll be so valuable.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:51 PM
  #14
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I'm going to sympathize with you right now. I think you and I have had a few differences over the many years as far as the AHL team has been concerned.

I've HATED players like Jared Nightingale who have seemed to been kept around for their fighting. Those players seem like a distant past in the league. Hockey in the NHL is different and in turn is different in the minors. Some guys fight to stay on a roster, but most are trying to play the game. It's changed a lot.

McIlrath *MIGHT* be a fighter his whole career but he is going to be one that is going to pick and choose. If he fully develops he's going to be the defenseman that "scares" and disrupts an offensive attack. He'll be so valuable.
Either the NHL is not THAT different or we get every useless goon on the planet. Orr, Brashear, Boogard (sorry, RIP), John Scott, Rupp (though he was supposed to be more). Those guys are an embarrassment to not only hockey but all of sports.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
  #15
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Either the NHL is not THAT different or we get every useless goon on the planet. Orr, Brashear, Boogard (sorry, RIP), John Scott, Rupp (though he was supposed to be more). Those guys are an embarrassment to not only hockey but all of sports.
Brashear was the worst thing I witnessed in Hartford in a long time. He didn't care and rightfully so. An era gone by. At least Sean Avery was entertaining.

I remember the days of Richard Scott tearing up opponents. That's not a thing anymore, it seems. I saw Kevin Westgarth fighting in the NHL recently. Unbelievable. I remember him as a Monarch goon. Nothing more. No point...

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:55 PM
  #16
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Fans now seem to stick to the guys like Mashinter or Haley who can skate, score and drop the gloves. Those are the fan favorites. Mashinter won the crowd over so quick that way.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 03:47 AM
  #17
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,261
vCash: 500
Why are people acting like The Undertaker's fighting ability is some kind of a negative? He doesn't have to use this skill. Again, think back to Beukebom. He could fight (though not as well as McIlrath), but he did it only rarely and when it was the right time. I see no reason why McIlrath can't do the same thing in his career.

Do you remember when Gabby got his butt whooped and nobody defended him? Not only will he be defended when McI is here, nobody would so much as dare to touch Gabby knowing that kid is on the bench or on the ice.

Beacon is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 05:07 AM
  #18
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,952
vCash: 500
Chara's fighting ability is not what makes him an effective player. He's effective because he's a damn good hockey player.....but he also scares the crap out of people and for damn good reason.

Pizza is online now  
Old
02-22-2013, 06:26 AM
  #19
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,098
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Why are people acting like The Undertaker's fighting ability is some kind of a negative? He doesn't have to use this skill. Again, think back to Beukebom. He could fight (though not as well as McIlrath), but he did it only rarely and when it was the right time. I see no reason why McIlrath can't do the same thing in his career.

Do you remember when Gabby got his butt whooped and nobody defended him? Not only will he be defended when McI is here, nobody would so much as dare to touch Gabby knowing that kid is on the bench or on the ice.
Or like our other prospect, Sammy Noreau, who doesn't fight anymore because everyone is scared of him. If McIlrath picks his spots, his great fighting ability is a big plus. He does scrap at some inopportune times--he's still very young, so it's to be expected--but he also sticks up for his teammates more than any prospect we've had in our system for quite a long time.

When McIlrath is on the ice, guys know not to take liberties with our players, because if they do McIlrath will beat the **** out of them or one of their players.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
  #20
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Or like our other prospect, Sammy Noreau, who doesn't fight anymore because everyone is scared of him. If McIlrath picks his spots, his great fighting ability is a big plus. He does scrap at some inopportune times--he's still very young, so it's to be expected--but he also sticks up for his teammates more than any prospect we've had in our system for quite a long time.

When McIlrath is on the ice, guys know not to take liberties with our players, because if they do McIlrath will beat the **** out of them or one of their players.
Guys like Lucic, Clarksson, Engelland and Chris Neal should be the given targets of The Undertaker. If so, he is a huge asset. Constantly fighting Colton Orrs and John Scotts of the world as a #5/6 D is not worth sacrificing Taresenko for...
EDIT
- kicking Carkners butt is an obligatory whupping though

BBKers is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 09:36 AM
  #21
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I love it people coming around to the undertaker . Remember the night before the draft I called this pick on mouths radio show and I loved the idea god I got killed on here. This kid is all heart I love it
You did nail it DG.

If I'm 'coming around' cause the kid actually has shown me something this year. Since he was drafted he's given me little to go on, now we see him playing a solid defensive game(most nights) in the A, thats a big deal, bigger than beating up on WHL midgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Do you remember when Gabby got his butt whooped and nobody defended him? Not only will he be defended when McI is here, nobody would so much as dare to touch Gabby knowing that kid is on the bench or on the ice.
This is the problem.

My fear is that the only reason he was picked #10 in that draft was exactly because of that incident. I know, I know, that seems so unbelievable right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Or like our other prospect, Sammy Noreau, who doesn't fight anymore because everyone is scared of him. If McIlrath picks his spots, his great fighting ability is a big plus. He does scrap at some inopportune times--he's still very young, so it's to be expected--but he also sticks up for his teammates more than any prospect we've had in our system for quite a long time.

When McIlrath is on the ice, guys know not to take liberties with our players, because if they do McIlrath will beat the **** out of them or one of their players.
I think theres a few reasons we have not seen someone like DM in our organization for awhile. One, there's not enough players like this in all of hockey much less in every draft. And if they are available they are usually hard to get or expensive FA's. Secondly, most teams that have a player that deters others from taking 'liberties' have forwards who do that, not Dmen that are counted on to play top 4 minutes.

I played hockey, have watched hockey for a long time. I don't think a single player stops any team from doing what they want. Now a collectively tough team, thats when you see other teams not want to pull punches.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 09:47 AM
  #22
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This is the problem.

My fear is that the only reason he was picked #10 in that draft was exactly because of that incident. I know, I know, that seems so unbelievable right?
I said the same thing in the days after the draft. I don't think it's the lone reason we picked him at #10, but I certainly believe it's a big reason why we passed on other players who were falling in order to take him. It's been a long time since this team had a player who could play meaningful minutes while still being an intimidating presence on the ice.

I like that they're building a tough, gritty team. However, my concern is that they're having a hard time injecting the skill into the lineup at the same time.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
  #23
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I said the same thing in the days after the draft. I don't think it's the lone reason we picked him at #10, but I certainly believe it's a big reason why we passed on other players who were falling in order to take him. It's been a long time since this team had a player who could play meaningful minutes while still being an intimidating presence on the ice.

I like that they're building a tough, gritty team. However, my concern is that they're having a hard time injecting the skill into the lineup at the same time.
So do I, this division almost commands we have a team that can get down and dirty in the mud. But wheres the balance? Maybe if some of our 'stars' were nurtured into the system rather than signed into it this team might not have so many issues when they are on the offensive. Homegrown talent comes in many sizes, shapes and styles.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
  #24
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,236
vCash: 500
Pizza, mentioned Chara. He wasn't looking too hot early in his career. Any chance McIlrath becomes a poor man's Chara defensively? Obviously not offensively.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
  #25
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,098
vCash: 500
Awards:
Now if only they'd get rid of the instigator penalty. Then McIlrath could do some real damage.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.