HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 12:30 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I noticed that both LeBlanc and Hulsizer have now been quoted as saying that they might be interested in purchasing the Coyotes, but they would only sit back and wait for someone to present them with a done deal to contemplate. I guess they ran out of their "tire kicker allowance", and can't afford to goof around in Glendale any more.

Meanwhile, remember this guy?

He is still listing himself as "Almost owner of the Phoenix Coyotes". Isn't he a beaut?
I don't think Jones is involved this time around, Whileee. Outside his twitter profile (which, I might add, people seem to be overly obsessed with it) he's said nothing about the franchise in months.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I don't think Jones is involved this time around, Whileee. Outside his twitter profile (which, I might add, people seem to be overly obsessed with it) he's said nothing about the franchise in months.
I don't think Jones was involved much at any time around. He is the mascot for the pesky, self-aggrandizing, under-financed "tire kickers" that have plagued the Coyotes sale process. The fact that he still includes the moniker "Almost owner of the Phoenix Coyotes" on his Twitter account shows his narcissism and flippancy about the situation. He is to the Coyotes saga what "the Balkan" was to the Thrashers', but with a full body shot. And to think that the COG gave these guys exclusive negotiation rights...

Old
02-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Tinalera

With the interested parties saying this stuff about only getting interested with certain deals/conditions, and the relative quiet going on-I have to wonder if we are maybe possibly hinting at the idea that we just might be starting to see the end game now....maybe.

It sure has been quiet since the expiry of the previous deal.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
With the interested parties saying this stuff about only getting interested with certain deals/conditions, and the relative quiet going on-I have to wonder if we are maybe possibly hinting at the idea that we just might be starting to see the end game now....maybe.

It sure has been quiet since the expiry of the previous deal.
http://www.freep.com/usatoday/articl...ed%20Wings%7Cs

LeBlanc said he expects that if his group moves beyond its current "exploring options" phase, negotiations to complete a deal will move quickly. He anticipates that at least the framework of an agreement would be complete by the end of the NHL regular season, which wraps up in late April.

Read into this what you want, but I don't see us hearing anything for a while.

Deal is dead so keep it quite to sell tickets or it's quite because people are still talking...

Old
02-22-2013, 09:55 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
LeBlanc said he expects that if his group moves beyond its current "exploring options" phase, negotiations to complete a deal will move quickly. He anticipates that at least the framework of an agreement would be complete by the end of the NHL regular season, which wraps up in late April.
Why does Leblanc think negotiations will move quickly this time? The negotiations with MH went very slowly. Both times the COG negotiated with GJ, it took several months to come to an agreement. So negotiations this time will go quickly?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
BnGBear1970
YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
Why does Leblanc think negotiations will move quickly this time? The negotiations with MH went very slowly. Both times the COG negotiated with GJ, it took several months to come to an agreement. So negotiations this time will go quickly?
Say the right things or be banned from the clubhouse. So sayeth the gamemaster, Lord Gary.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Northender

Quote:
Negotiations always go quickly when you have no money. The seller says have you got any money? No? Ok, we're done.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

Quote:
Because Mr. Leblanc has Grant Woods working with him, allegedly

Old
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
Say the right things or be banned from the clubhouse. So sayeth the gamemaster, Lord Gary.
I'm sorry, I forgot. I was trying to look at this logically and not through the lens of the puppetmaster.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Because Mr. Leblanc has Grant Woods working with him, allegedly
Grant Woods promised us on February 11 that he would have more news on the group he is working with in "about two weeks". That two weeks is almost up.

http://ktar.com/22/1609039/Woods-con...to-buy-Coyotes

Old
02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Grant Woods promised us on February 11 that he would have more news on the group he is working with in "about two weeks". That two weeks is almost up.

Woods is a lawyer. He's simply applying the 2 weeks rule: "when you don't have a clue, say 2 weeks."

Old
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
After witnessing the lengthy chronological twists and turns I fully expect at the end of this saga to be paid in full with such a sensationalist finale that includes a smorgasborg of lawsuits, finger pointing, and leaked behind the scenes scandals, flag burnings, and hookers, gotta have hookers in there somewhere, and a teary eyed Bettman. Plus a spontaneous celebratory parade in Quebec

Old
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
mesamonster

At what point do we stop wondering, wishing and guessing about these fraudsters and their purported bids to buy this team? Like everyone before them, they have little money,the price is still too high to justify anything and we all know the the NHL is not lowering it. THis charade in its umpteenth act is over, it was over the day GJ showed up vowing to buy the team without money or investors! This iteration is likely the brainchild of the sawed off commish attempting to keep fans deluded!

Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

On the potential "Coyotes to Seattle" topic (from the Metro Seattle Arena thread)...

Quote:
Friday, a King County judge will hear arguments in a lawsuit brought by local Longshore workers arguing that the environmental review should have been done before a deal was reached, when the outlines of the proposal to build the sports venue were known.

Both sides of the dispute have agreed to the underlying facts and asked the judge to rule solely on whether the city and county violated the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA). The judge, Douglass North, could make a ruling from the bench Friday after the lawyers present their oral arguments starting at 1:30 p.m.
Further...

Quote:
Even if the King County Judge North rejects the Longshore workers lawsuit, the arena plan faces a second legal challenge. That suit argues that the deal with Hansen violates Seattle Initiative 91, which requires the city to make a profit on any public financing of a sports facility.

A trial date in that case is currently set for May 2014.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...earingxml.html

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...329387&page=14

Must have been asleep at the wheel. This is the first I'm hearing of an actual date for that I91 suit.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.freep.com/usatoday/articl...ed%20Wings%7Cs

Read into this what you want, but I don't see us hearing anything for a while.

Deal is dead so keep it quite to sell tickets or it's quite because people are still talking...
Yea, so more of the same it sounds like.

"exploring options"-you'd think the group has 170 million in his back pocket ready to pay down at any given time. The tone of it sounds like someone who's just "browsing around", like he's window shopping trying to decided if the team matches his furniture....

Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Yea, so more of the same it sounds like.

"exploring options"-you'd think the group has 170 million in his back pocket ready to pay down at any given time. The tone of it sounds like someone who's just "browsing around", like he's window shopping trying to decided if the team matches his furniture....
Mere speculation on my part, but given the Globe & Mail's article last year about Leblanc, Weiers' recent comments, and so forth... my interpretation of "exploring options" is:

Quote:
Anthony LeBlanc and the group of businessmen once known as Ice Edge Holdings LLC are back in the Phoenix hockey picture.

Only this time, it is not to make an ownership bid on the financially moribund Phoenix Coyotes, but a bid to manage Jobing.com Arena in suburban Glendale, Ariz., and try to bring in a minor-league hockey team if the Coyotes move to another city this summer.

On March. 1, LeBlanc sent an e-mail message to Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs, city attorney Craig Tindall and the members of city council. It was prompted by Scruggs’s public musings that the city needs a “Plan B” if the NHL-owned Coyotes leave.
March 29th, 2012

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4096548/

Old
02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Two weeks is never up.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
viperswhip

It would be career suicide for any Glendale politician to support a deal similar to the one offered by the last administration, so how many prospective buyers will walk away because that deal is now permanently off the table?

Is there anywhere actually ready to take this team? Quebec City is not ready no matter what people say, and I don't know where Kansas and Seattle are in their plans.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperswhip View Post
It would be career suicide for any Glendale politician to support a deal similar to the one offered by the last administration, so how many prospective buyers will walk away because that deal is now permanently off the table?

Is there anywhere actually ready to take this team? Quebec City is not ready no matter what people say, and I don't know where Kansas and Seattle are in their plans.
Or course it is, this is what lots of people on this board are saying and this is what I am saying, living in the place. We already got an arena a lil bigger then the MTS center in Win.

PHX people told us we did not know what was happening in their city, I certainly know what's happening in my own place.

Cheers.

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 02-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:

Not to sound morbid, but this is what makes this process so much fun to watch.

The deal is off the table, a new deal will be worse, the CoG can't really afford to keep the team even though they are going to try, and IMO as well, no other city is "really" ready to take them ( and by that I mean Winnipeg ready ). I just want to see Bettman squirm....

Old
02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
cheswick

vCash: 574
Quote:

If in your estimation Quebec City isn't ready, then nobody is. Cause they are by far the msot ready. A suitable temporay arena in place, a new arena under construction and a willing owner.

KC has an arena but no owner and unknown willingness by the league to go back there. Its not like St. Louis is a rousing success.

Seattle has arguably a suitable temp arena (far worse than the colisee in QC) but the new arena is still going through the stages of getting approved.

The NHL has a history of willingness to play in less than ideal temp arenas as long as there is a new one in the works

Old
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
GF

Quote:

Is there anywhere actually ready to take this team? Quebec City is not ready no matter what people say
Could you please tell us what makes you say that? I'd be curious to know why QC is not ready.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
calmdown

Quote:

lol Thank's you made me laugh!

Old
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
lol Thank's you made me laugh!
Just FYI, Viper, the Colisée Pepsi has been upgraded last summer to be ready in case a NHL team would need it, for a few millions dollars. All infrastructure is there to support a NHL team, (PUB, Ticket selling, etc.). A hard fan base, a good economical situation, a good political support, etc. And finaly, a contract already signed with an owner ready to buy a team in case it would occure. ;-) Not ready, you said? Who told you that?

Old
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
barneyg

Quote:

Welcome to the BOH. Now is pretty much your time to decide whether you'll provide drive-by opinion or actual content. You still have a shot!

Closed Thread