HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Somethings gotta give in Toronto.. Carolina?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
  #26
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
At his best I still take those 4 over him.
Then I don't know what to say. At his best he's clearly better than guys like Kostka.

Rob Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
  #27
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
I would say with Franson coming on as of late on the PP and his game starting to come around it would make Liles expendable with Gardiner really ready to play right now. Nonis is just leaving in the AHL so he has time to make a move. Gunnarson is a good all around d-man and I would find it unlikely a team would go for him knowing he is playing through injury for the rest of the year and will need ongoing maintenance. Plus, I think we should keep him. Liles and Komo would be the ones on the out. Fraser gives us nice presence on the back end and Holzer is coming around. Kostka is a good depth guy. So we are left with Phaneuf, Franson, Kostka, Gunnarson, Fraser, Holzer and Gardiner. There's our 7 d-men.

Liles has good value and I think his contract is fair and could add speed on the back end and playmaking ability. Could he get you a 2nd round pic or a prospect? Maybe a first from a team picking in 22-30 at the deadline? I believe teams will make moves sooner rather than later this year. With the shortened season you would really want your best lineup as soon as you can to work on placement in the standings. My BS rant for the day.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  #28
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
We are in the best position we've been in for several years as far as having quality assets to use as trade chips without hurting the nucleus of the team.

I think that Liles, MacArthur, and even Komisarek are attractive pieces to teams in playoff contention looking to bolster their rosters.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
  #29
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Then I don't know what to say. At his best he's clearly better than guys like Kostka.
But Randy loves Kostka. He always talks about his players needing to "compete" every shift. Gunnar does not fit that bill. He always looks like he is half assing it in his own end. God forbid he knock a player off the puck.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
  #30
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 33,854
vCash: 500
gunnarsson with the aggrevated 'lower body ' problem might be hard to peddle

liles.
i mean bb just gave him an 4 yr extension midway thru last season..
now he's becoming obsolete.

i'm so glad brian burke is gone

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:32 AM
  #31
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
We are in the best position we've been in for several years as far as having quality assets to use as trade chips without hurting the nucleus of the team.

I think that Liles, MacArthur, and even Komisarek are attractive pieces to teams in playoff contention looking to bolster their rosters.
He is undervalued by a lot of people. Gives his all every night, is durable and just gets the job done. Trade him to a team in the east and he will feast on the Leafs.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
  #32
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
He is undervalued by a lot of people. Gives his all every night, is durable and just gets the job done. Trade him to a team in the east and he will feast on the Leafs.
Agreed. If we are healthy at the trade deadline, he will be redundant on our roster, but he should still fetch a 2nd round pick at the very least. That would be a solid return for a guy that was initially signed as filler as a UFA.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
  #33
Hockey Crazy
Registered User
 
Hockey Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
gunnarsson with the aggrevated 'lower body ' problem might be hard to peddle

liles.
i mean bb just gave him an 4 yr extension midway thru last season..
now he's becoming obsolete.

i'm so glad brian burke is gone
You could argue that the Lupul deal is a similar recipe for disaster, but that is a whole different thread.

Komisarek might make sense for Carolina. They could use some size and defensive presence on the back end. I'd love if they gave us assests for Liles though.

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  #34
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 33,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Crazy View Post
You could argue that the Lupul deal is a similar recipe for disaster, but that is a whole different thread.

Komisarek might make sense for Carolina. They could use some size and defensive presence on the back end. I'd love if they gave us assests for Liles though.
grabovsky 5.5 for 5 yrs
liles 4.0 for 4 yrs
komisarek 4.5+ for 2 more yrs
connolly sitting in the farm with 4.7 or something

collosal waste of money
now its up to Nonis to rectify this mess

lombardi and cash for a pick was a good start
unfortunately nobody wanted connolly when he got waived

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
  #35
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,077
vCash: 500
Liles or Kostka I think are the most likely candidates to go out the door.

Gunnarson MIGHT go if it's for a more legitimate piece in return. Liles/Kostka would probably just be for a pick or something.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  #36
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
grabovsky 5.5 for 5 yrs
liles 4.0 for 4 yrs
komisarek 4.5+ for 2 more yrs
connolly sitting in the farm with 4.7 or something


collosal waste of money
now its up to Nonis to rectify this mess

lombardi and cash for a pick was a good start
unfortunately nobody wanted connolly when he got waived
Those two arent a huge problem. Connolly is a UFA this summer, and Komi can be bought out this summer.

Liles and Grabo though are both locked up for 3+ years. Grabo is definitely overpaid IMO, Liles probably isn't (assuming he can rebound to be a ~40-45 point Dman over an 82 game season) but Gardiner/Rielly and others are going to be pushing him out sooner rather than later.

Lupuls contract might also be bad. Hard to say yet if last year was a fluke, since he's been injured all of this season so far. Considering the risk involved in fluke vs non-fluke, I think he definitely got more than he deserved. He should have gotten something like a two-year 9-10M$ deal... not a 5 year 5.25 cap-hit deal. If last season was a fluke, then he is severely overpaid, and overpaid for a long time.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  #37
Roboturner913
Registered User
 
Roboturner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Carolina can't afford Liles salary even if they wanted him. Kostka is probably the guy they would be looking at. It would absolutely fit Rutherford's MO and give them a decent guy who could play at the 4-5-6 spots so they don't have to keep calling up raw kids to fill in for the rest of the year.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  #38
Cujomi
Show your fury?
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,793
vCash: 500
Would take Liles, Gunnarson or Franson in Ottawa if you're parting with them.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  #39
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Would take Liles or Franson in Ottawa if you're parting with them.
Make an offer.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
  #40
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Liles or Kostka I think are the most likely candidates to go out the door.

Gunnarson MIGHT go if it's for a more legitimate piece in return. Liles/Kostka would probably just be for a pick or something.
I can't see Mike Kostka leaving. He has been a very dependable number 3 / 4 so far this year. He's doing everything Carlyle asks of him and doing it well.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
  #41
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I can't see Mike Kostka leaving. He has been a very dependable number 3 / 4 so far this year. He's doing everything Carlyle asks of him and doing it well.
I don't see him leaving either. I think this team will go with younger players and have them develop more. Liles and Komo are the ones on the block here. From the beginning I thought Franson was a hell of a steal and now he is showing his worth. I hope they don't move him.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  #42
jeromeo87
Registered User
 
jeromeo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
No question Canes need defensive help, but with the injury bug hitting Carolina hard, they also need forward help. What would it take to get Gunnarsson and one of MacArthur, Kulemin or Bozak?

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
  #43
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,692
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
No question Canes need defensive help, but with the injury bug hitting Carolina hard, they also need forward help. What would it take to get Gunnarsson and one of MacArthur, Kulemin or Bozak?
Don't think Bozak or Kulemin go anywhere...they're great defensively.

MacArthur is probably traded at the deadline if Lupul/Frattin are back without any setbacks for a 2nd round pick.

Gunnarsson is a tricky one. I really don't know why Nonis would want to trade him...he's one of our safest D's.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
  #44
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 500
Gunnarsson for a 1st.
Macarthur for a 2nd.

Although I don't think we could trade either until either Gardiner or Lupul/Frattin return.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
  #45
jeromeo87
Registered User
 
jeromeo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Don't think Bozak or Kulemin go anywhere...they're great defensively.

MacArthur is probably traded at the deadline if Lupul/Frattin are back without any setbacks for a 2nd round pick.

Gunnarsson is a tricky one. I really don't know why Nonis would want to trade him...he's one of our safest D's.
Does/can Gunnarsson play the right side? Would McBain, a mid-level prospect and a 2nd be close to fetching both Gunnarsson and MacArthur?

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  #46
tony135420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
He is undervalued by a lot of people. Gives his all every night, is durable and just gets the job done. Trade him to a team in the east and he will feast on the Leafs.

I'd also be hesitant in moving him unless the deal fills a current need. A guy like Mac will be a solid depth guy should the Leafs make the playoffs. Not to mention, with guys breaking like bread sticks out there, we need the forward depth...

Liles, Komi, Gunner I would be happy to trade. I wouldn't expect much more than 2nd to 5th rounders, depending on which defenseman or team is involved.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  #47
dannyboy8920
Registered User
 
dannyboy8920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,860
vCash: 500
Liles + (retained a bit of salary) + 3rd
for
1st + Terry (to help Marlie Depth)

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  #48
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
Does/can Gunnarsson play the right side? Would McBain, a mid-level prospect and a 2nd be close to fetching both Gunnarsson and MacArthur?
We don't need another d-man back for whatever d-man we trade. If we're trading Gunnar, a first round pick has to be included.

Start with a first and add, especially if you're getting Clarke MacArthur as well.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  #49
tony135420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
Does/can Gunnarsson play the right side? Would McBain, a mid-level prospect and a 2nd be close to fetching both Gunnarsson and MacArthur?
I think that would be fair value, however, I don't see the Leafs trading an nhl defenseman and getting one back. Wouldn't solve the log jam issue back there.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
  #50
tony135420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
We don't need another d-man back for whatever d-man we trade. If we're trading Gunnar, a first round pick has to be included.

Start with a first and add, especially if you're getting Clarke MacArthur as well.
Maybe if the pick is projected to be 25-30 and that team is desperate for defensive help. Otherwise I would say that's wishful thinking.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.