HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Hall Suspension - 2 games

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If you were to put a picture of clipping in the NHL rule book it would be this one:

That picture definitely looks knee on knee but it wasn't your typical knee, Hall didn't intentionally stick his knee out like a classic Marchment hit.

edit: Yeah the pic does look a little off.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I'm not understanding this.

The rule specifically states "across or below the knee".

How can this hit be clipping when it hits Clutterbuck square in the thigh?
I was gonna ask the same but figured it was a pointless argument.

Like a guy trying to say I know he didn't have intent to kill the person but it's still 1st degree murder.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
If you were to put a picture of clipping in the NHL rule book it would be this one:

And if I run the video backwards it clearly shows Hall helping Clutterbuck up and healing his painfully bruised thigh. Context is everything. This wasn't a drive-by clipping. Hall squared up in front of Clutterbuck and popped him.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
The more he pays in fines and gets suspended, the more he evolves into Messier...
I like the way you think my friend.

He went for the big hip check and it didn't go so well for Cal. What did the jackpot in Van get for the fore arm shiver on Hossa get?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm expecting 2 games, should be 1 max.

Given the inconsistent discipline he'll probably get 10

Old
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
McNutty780

I'm going to say 2 games and yes he deserves it.

Think of it as a Blessing in disguise to sit back for a couple games and rethink on how he can't playing like an idiot when he gets pissed off.

We need him to be better than this. He's one of the leaders on this team

Old
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
GDU

zero games, this had no malice at all and was clearly a hip check where the knees happen to hit first, watching the reply i couldn't even see the knees hit until it went into slo-mo...

im sure the league will give him one game since clutterbuck is injured...

honestly not even as close to as bad as i thought it was gonna be after hearing the reports...

Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
jadeddog

1 game or a fine max, i personally wouldn't give him anything to be honest... it was borderline dirty, but thats about it

Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
zero games, this had no malice at all and was clearly a hip check where the knees happen to hit first, watching the reply i couldn't even see the knees hit until it went into slo-mo...

im sure the league will give him one game since clutterbuck is injured...

honestly not even as close to as bad as i thought it was gonna be after hearing the reports...
Yeah no ****, especially after Yeo's reaction after the game. What a tard.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
CrazyJoeDavola

If Hansen only got one for that stupid elbow then Hall better not get more.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Stoneman89

Interesting to hear Bob McKenzie's take on the hit and it's repercussions for Hall. At the end of his reply, he said something to the effect of "giving out a hit like this might not be a bad thing for Hall to get some people to back off...."

Old
02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

No suspension.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

The NHL doesn't go by a picture though, they go by film, slowed down to get a complete assessment. As Bob McKenzie stated, they don't look for where the knee wound up, they look for how it got there. If the hitter has his leg locked in the same place all the way through the hitting process, they'll look at it much differently than if he moves his knee out towards the other player.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Interesting to hear Bob McKenzie's take on the hit and it's repercussions for Hall. At the end of his reply, he said something to the effect of "giving out a hit like this might not be a bad thing for Hall to get some people to back off...."
I agree with Bob. If he develops a bit of a mean streak, he's big enough and powerful enough to give the Cory Sarich's of the world pause.

If Eric Lindros had Mark Messier's demeanor I don't think he'd have been targeted as much as he was.

I vastly prefer him sitting due to a suspension to him sitting due to a concussion.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I agree with Bob. If he develops a bit of a mean streak, he's big enough and powerful enough to give the Cory Sarich's of the world pause.

If Eric Lindros had Mark Messier's demeanor I don't think he'd have been targeted as much as he was.

I vastly prefer him sitting due to a suspension to him sitting due to a concussion.

Amen, brother. Kind of like the policeman's code..."Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Old
02-22-2013, 11:28 AM
dnicks17

Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a fine.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Hall intended to "light up" Clutterbuck, I think everyone can agree to that. It was the end of the game, the Oilers were losing, and Hall was frustrated. But where went wrong is he continued to reached out with the leg/hip after he realized that Clutterbuck not only DID NOT have the puck, and that he was going to miss his check on Clutterbuck.

It was a reactionary play by Hall, just as most "knee on knee" hits. A guy goes for a big hit and realizes he is going to miss the player so he throws out a leg/knee to make contact. It happens, I was guilty of doing it when I played (no, not NHL) and I was about as clean a player as they come.

The problem is, that it is illegal & dangerous to do. Whether intentional or reactionary, he broke the rules. And it should not make 1% of a difference against who it happened.

While Hall does not have a record with the NHL office for "dirty" play, I still think he will get 1-3 games (most likely 1).

What Hall should be more concerned about is the fact that this is the second time just this year (other time in the AHL) that he has crossed the line and injured someone. (I think I remember he also had a bit of a reputation at Windsor for sometimes playing this way too.) He won't be able to keep doing that, and continue to think he will be protected by his star status; because eventually some player on some team will take a run at him.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
zeus3007*

2 at most. Poorly placed hipcheck, he gets a bit for it being a reckless play, but there was no intent to injure, so it won't be long. I wouldn't be surprised if its just a fine.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
What Hall should be more concerned about is the fact that this is the second time just this year (other time in the AHL) that he has crossed the line and injured someone. (I think I remember he also had a bit of a reputation at Windsor for sometimes playing this way too.) He won't be able to keep doing that, and continue to think he will be protected by his star status; because eventually some player on some team will take a run at him.
Ehh, that's pretty subjective though.

Brodin said the hit on him was clean. I would assume other players would agree with him.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
belair

$10k fine and a pat on the back.

Its about time we see some of this from our young guys. More plays like this adds tentativeness to your opponent's game. Besides, I'm sick of watching a team full of marshmallows that constantly get injured who possess a culture of losing.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'll go with 3, but right after the hit I was thinking 5.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Soundwave

3 games? 5 games? Are you guys nuts?

How many 3-5 game suspensions does the NHL hand out?

Hansen knocked out Hossa, who has a history of concussions and is a superstar, and got 1 whopping game.

You have to be Raffi Torres to get 3+ games.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Hall intended to "light up" Clutterbuck, I think everyone can agree to that. It was the end of the game, the Oilers were losing, and Hall was frustrated. But where went wrong is he continued to reached out with the leg/hip after he realized that Clutterbuck not only DID NOT have the puck, and that he was going to miss his check on Clutterbuck.

It was a reactionary play by Hall, just as most "knee on knee" hits. A guy goes for a big hit and realizes he is going to miss the player so he throws out a leg/knee to make contact. It happens, I was guilty of doing it when I played (no, not NHL) and I was about as clean a player as they come.

The problem is, that it is illegal & dangerous to do. Whether intentional or reactionary, he broke the rules. And it should not make 1% of a difference against who it happened.

While Hall does not have a record with the NHL office for "dirty" play, I still think he will get 1-3 games (most likely 1).

Not sure where you've been since Hall came into the NHL, but he has been the victim of numerous runs and near misses. Cory Sarich says hi. He was getting run before and I'm not naive enough to believe it wasn't going to stop regardless of what he did. He's a star player and he's going to be a target for the rest of his career, just like Crosby is for example. Except this year he's dishing it out a bit. Turnabout is fair play and I for one endorse it.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
belair

Quote:
There was approximately 1 second between the time Clutterbuck kicked the puck and the hit. Hall was well committed to the hit prior to any actual puck possession. Its not like the guy's gonna dive out of the way of the check because his opponent lost possession.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
awesomo
HARD!

whenever it is a phone call it is usually a fine or 1 game

Closed Thread