HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #17: vs Vancouver, 2/21 (7:30 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 PM
  #401
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Eh, hard to get into any groove being scratched so much.
At the same time, if he was playing well, he wouldn't get scratched.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
  #402
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
You're perfect to ask. Why's everyone complaining about him?
He's been bad. Self-admittedly. I think the lockout and lack of training camp messed with him more than others. Seems like conditioning issues, but can't really be sure. He's doing really stupid **** like bad no-look passes and drop passes to no one.

Honestly I think Tort's system just sucks the life out offense. He can't make the same high vision passes like he used to in Dallas, as the team isn't built for rushes in transition or playing through the center of the ice. The Rangers are entirely built on winning along the boards. Kinda hard to use elite vision and passing when the coach discourages them.

Still Brad hasn't looked good. He excelled last year because he was scoring CLUTCH ass goals. But he never was a goal scorer so its not surprising that faded away. Now it just seems like he may be slightly out of condition from the lockout, lacking confidence due to poor play, and not being able to utilize his strengths.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
  #403
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
At the same time, if he was playing well, he wouldn't get scratched.
That's arguable.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
  #404
catters078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
No problem with any of our forwards, our misery lies with that pathetic defnsive core. worst in the nhl.

without kari there to save our ass we have been exposed to show how poor it is..

18 goals in 4 games.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:34 PM
  #405
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
No problem with any of our forwards, our misery lies with that pathetic defnsive core. worst in the nhl.

without kari there to save our ass we have been exposed to show how poor it is..

18 goals in 4 games.
Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Stars goalies last four games have a 4.55 GAA and .813 save percentage. Kari Lehtonen this season has 2.12 and .934.
Pretty much says it all. Score on 10% more of the shots you take.. gonna lose some games.

Not that it's all been on Bachman/Nilstorp, but this team has no shot without Kari. As we always knew.


Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 02-21-2013 at 11:51 PM.
MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
  #406
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
No problem with any of our forwards, our misery lies with that pathetic defnsive core. worst in the nhl.

without kari there to save our ass we have been exposed to show how poor it is..

18 goals in 4 games.
Party agree. There's no denying our offense isn't firing on all cylinders. Eriksson and Roy issues are hurting what could be big offensive numbers. Not to mention Whitney still out.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:45 PM
  #407
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,221
vCash: 500
Stop me if you've heard this before:

Bad defense.

Poor power play.

Anyone not named Lehtonen behind this defense.

Penalties.

Abysmal exit from our zone.

Terrible entry into their zone.

Inability to win faceoffs.

Nothing from Eriksson or Roy, again.

Add to that Jagr's selfish play tonight and an absolutely egregious penalty call on Smith against a team that's better and they lose. Anyone really think this is a playoff team? Bueller? Bueller?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
  #408
Sports
bedroom eyes
 
Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Futureworld
Country: United States
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
At the same time, if he was playing well, he wouldn't get scratched.
Larsen's Paradox.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:55 PM
  #409
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Stop me if you've heard this before:

Bad defense.

Poor power play.

Anyone not named Lehtonen behind this defense.

Penalties.

Abysmal exit from our zone.

Terrible entry into their zone.

Inability to win faceoffs.

Nothing from Eriksson or Roy, again.

Add to that Jagr's selfish play tonight and an absolutely egregious penalty call on Smith against a team that's better and they lose. Anyone really think this is a playoff team? Bueller? Bueller?
They haven't been a playoff team in the last 3-4 years; definitely not with the defense they have had in that span.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:19 AM
  #410
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
They haven't been a playoff team in the last 3-4 years; definitely not with the defense they have had in that span.
I meant this season. The past is done and obviously wasn't enough but several here thought they'd be good enough to fight for a spot and scrape in. I've been doubtful because of the defense and so far they haven't given any indication of life otherwise. My question is does anyone still have real hope and legit reasoning behind it?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
  #411
MB94
@MBFarina94
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,514
vCash: 500
Just finished watching the game and words can't describe how frustrated I am. Lost 3 of our last 4 now! One word to describe this team over the last few years "inconsistent".

The team we have this year is probably the best we've had since 2009 and injuries are gonna ruin are chances of making the playoffs. Ahhhhhhhh all I want is to watch Stars playoff hockey again ****

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:45 AM
  #412
MB94
@MBFarina94
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,514
vCash: 500
Not giving up though. Still 30+ games left to start winning and with Kari, Daley and Whitney back soon I still believe we can squeak in. And also because I made a bet with a buddy that Stars will make it and if I lose I owe him money and I gotta shave my goatee (which I haven't shaved off in a long time lol). So LEGGOO STARS WAKE UP

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:52 AM
  #413
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I meant this season. The past is done and obviously wasn't enough but several here thought they'd be good enough to fight for a spot and scrape in. I've been doubtful because of the defense and so far they haven't given any indication of life otherwise.
You see any drastic change in the defensive construct this year compared to seasons past? I certainly don't. It's the usual suspects, with a little youth mixed in...that's all.

If anything, people thought their PP woes would be solved by the additions of Jagr and Whitney and that alone could be the "good enough" factor, but that hasn't really helped at all and obviously, not enough.

Quote:
My question is does anyone still have real hope and legit reasoning behind it?
Not really. They're not going to be a playoff team with the current status-quo on the blueline that lacks a legitimate first pairing- something that will not be addressed this off-season. They could possibly squeak in at the 8th spot and get bounced in round 1 in 4-5 games at best.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:56 AM
  #414
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,675
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
They could possibly squeak in at the 8th spot and get bounced in round 1 in 4-5 games at best.
Only way we don't is if we get Anaheim, imo. We match up well with them for whatever reason (though I still think we'd lose).

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:03 AM
  #415
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Only way we don't is if we get Anaheim, imo. We match up well with them for whatever reason (though I still think we'd lose).
Maybe not in the playoffs, IMO. Kari may win us a game...or two, but I predict we'll still get beaten handily in the games we lose.

Personally, I'd rather not see this team squeak into the playoffs this season (only way they will make the playoffs) and have a "vote of confidence" given to allow this cycle of mediocrity continue because a "goal" was achieved.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:49 AM
  #416
catters078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
What about we trade for an UFA D man?

I like Ron Hainsey, always have. Could we get him by trading away a 2nd round pick, or both 3rds?

I know pending UFA doesn't fit our "vision" but stuff it, hes a good defensman.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
  #417
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,642
vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
What about we trade for an UFA D man?

I like Ron Hainsey, always have. Could we get him by trading away a 2nd round pick, or both 3rds?

I know pending UFA doesn't fit our "vision" but stuff it, hes a good defensman.
? The Stars aren't going to be buyers. This is pretty much the textbook case of a team that should be a seller.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  #418
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,221
vCash: 500
Yeah I'd rather move Ryder, Roy, and hopefully one of Morrow/Robidas than waste picks/prospects for a guy like Hainsey. Dallas needs a defensive upgrade but at this point I'd take bpa and picks with the intention of using that at the draft to either move up or package something together for a better defenseman. If we get enough good young forwards giving one or two up for a Gartner or other young defensive prospect to match up with our Oleksiak and Nemeth could actually be a viable option.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
  #419
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,611
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
He's been bad. Self-admittedly. I think the lockout and lack of training camp messed with him more than others. Seems like conditioning issues, but can't really be sure. He's doing really stupid **** like bad no-look passes and drop passes to no one.

Honestly I think Tort's system just sucks the life out offense. He can't make the same high vision passes like he used to in Dallas, as the team isn't built for rushes in transition or playing through the center of the ice. The Rangers are entirely built on winning along the boards. Kinda hard to use elite vision and passing when the coach discourages them.

Still Brad hasn't looked good. He excelled last year because he was scoring CLUTCH ass goals. But he never was a goal scorer so its not surprising that faded away. Now it just seems like he may be slightly out of condition from the lockout, lacking confidence due to poor play, and not being able to utilize his strengths.
I thought he loved Torts and his system. That's one of the big reason's I heard he wanted to go to NY.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  #420
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I thought he loved Torts and his system. That's one of the big reason's I heard he wanted to go to NY.
Torts doesn't run the same system in Ny as he did in Tampa. For whatever reason. I think he just likes playing for Torts.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  #421
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,611
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
If we get enough good young forwards giving one or two up for a Gartner or other young defensive prospect to match up with our Oleksiak and Nemeth could actually be a viable option.
I hope not ... the Neal trade didn't work out, and good lord I couldn't take the *****ing produced by the 2nd failed young forward for "future" #1 D trade.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
  #422
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
If we get enough good young forwards giving one or two up for a Gartner or other young defensive prospect to match up with our Oleksiak and Nemeth could actually be a viable option.
Mike Gartner (like)? I'm asking because I couldn't find anyone named Gartner among top prospects this year.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
  #423
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,899
vCash: 157
Gonna assume she meant Gardiner, whom I want no part of.


Last edited by LatvianTwist: 02-22-2013 at 12:42 PM.
LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
  #424
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,611
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Gonna assume he meant Gardiner, whom I want no part of.
Hull Fan is a lady, sir.


BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
  #425
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,899
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Hull Fan is a lady, sir.

My apologies, never realized that.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.