HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey World Turns Over a New Leaf VI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
  #401
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You can't bury cap hits in the minors anymore so I guess this is just in order to get a better backup on the roster? They're going to be paying DiPietro either way. Although with the Islanders they probably WANT to keep his cap hit.
Nah ... they seek huge cap hits with small salaries. I think this guy is headed for an amnesty buyout.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
  #402
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Nah ... they seek huge cap hits with small salaries. I think this guy is headed for an amnesty buyout.
Why would they do that? If you amnesty buyout DiPietro you're guaranteeing the fact that you'll be paying out a little more than 24 million in real salary. 2/3rds of his remaining contract. If they keep him in the minors they can keep his cap hit on the books and you raise the chance significantly that he'll decide to retire early, which would save the Isles a ton of money.

piqued is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  #403
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Why would they do that? If you amnesty buyout DiPietro you're guaranteeing the fact that you'll be paying out a little more than 24 million in real salary. 2/3rds of his remaining contract. If they keep him in the minors they can keep his cap hit on the books and you raise the chance significantly that he'll decide to retire early, which would save the Isles a ton of money.
What?

.... why exactly do you think it's likely a guy is going to walk away from $4.5 million a year? At the very least he could claim he's too injured to play and just draw his salary ... see nearly every other player on a long term contract and not playing right now (Savard, Pronger). I can't buy a guy walking away from $36 million ... that's silly.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
  #404
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
What?

.... why exactly do you think it's likely a guy is going to walk away from $4.5 million a year? At the very least he could claim he's too injured to play and just draw his salary ... see nearly every other player on a long term contract and not playing right now (Savard, Pronger). I can't buy a guy walking away from $36 million ... that's silly.
Because there's a thing called LTIR?

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
  #405
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
LOL ... I didn't realize you could do this, but Bob McKenzie, in response to a question on Twitter, says he believes teams can buy someone out this summer and it doesn't haven't to be designated as an amnesty buyout.

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
@mc79hockey Yes, I believe so, and I would suspect that's exactly what they will do.
Here's to 16 years of DiPietro on the Isles cap ...

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
  #406
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Because there's a thing called LTIR?
Which was exactly my point ....... You do know what LTIR is right? This is only helpful to a team like Boston or Philadelphia. The Islanders have absolutely no use for it, and they'd likely never use it. LTIR only comes into play when a team reaches the cap ceiling. That's not in the Isles future anytime soon.

He draws a full salary, part of which could be covered by insurance - would be interesting to see if they were even able to insure a contract of that length.

The only way to save any money is a buyout.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
  #407
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
There is some sort of insurance on the contract. I found a story when he signed the contract that he would have signed the 15 year deal 1 year sooner (before he ultimately settled for a 1 year deal paying $2.5 million), but there were stumbling blocks getting someone to insure the contract.

They only draw insurance money if he's hurt and not playing, and DiPietro has said as recently as a year ago he has no plans of retiring and that he wants to play. They can't force a guy onto IR. I imagine being waived this time could have something to do with him not just "staying hurt", but that's just a wild ass guess.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
  #408
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,005
vCash: 500
I don't get why they wouldn't do an amnesty buyout, this is them limiting themselves to not having some sort of 2nd pairing D-man/top 6 forward for the next 16 years if they ever decide to spend. This move has especially peculiar timing with the rumors that Wang is thinking about selling the team with his lighthouse project dead in the water. If he gives DP the amnesty buyout he has a hope of making the Isles a slightly more attractive team for selling, though it's true that it's unlikely to be 24 mil more attractive. Still, this absolutely makes them a much less attractive team for any owner who wants to come in and spend and be competitive.

Captain Awesome is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
  #409
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I don't get why they wouldn't do an amnesty buyout, this is them limiting themselves to not having some sort of 2nd pairing D-man/top 6 forward for the next 16 years if they ever decide to spend. This move has especially peculiar timing with the rumors that Wang is thinking about selling the team with his lighthouse project dead in the water. If he gives DP the amnesty buyout he has a hope of making the Isles a slightly more attractive team for selling, though it's true that it's unlikely to be 24 mil more attractive. Still, this absolutely makes them a much less attractive team for any owner who wants to come in and spend and be competitive.
Wang has done nothing to make anyone expect him to do the logical thing ... sucks.

That was one of the great franchises in the league. Hopefully he can sell the team quickly.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
  #410
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
This seems unlikely:

Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
If you're a team with deep pockets and cap room, may as well trade for DiPietro and compliance buyout him. See what you can get from NYI.
... but what would you want for $24 million?

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
  #411
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
What?

.... why exactly do you think it's likely a guy is going to walk away from $4.5 million a year? At the very least he could claim he's too injured to play and just draw his salary ... see nearly every other player on a long term contract and not playing right now (Savard, Pronger). I can't buy a guy walking away from $36 million ... that's silly.
I think it's a real possibility that he does walk away from the money.

piqued is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
  #412
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Which was exactly my point ....... You do know what LTIR is right? This is only helpful to a team like Boston or Philadelphia. The Islanders have absolutely no use for it, and they'd likely never use it. LTIR only comes into play when a team reaches the cap ceiling. That's not in the Isles future anytime soon.

He draws a full salary, part of which could be covered by insurance - would be interesting to see if they were even able to insure a contract of that length.

The only way to save any money is a buyout.
My bad, that comment was really only directed at the mention of Savard and Pronger. Thought I cut out the rest, guess I didn't.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
  #413
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
LOL ... I didn't realize you could do this, but Bob McKenzie, in response to a question on Twitter, says he believes teams can buy someone out this summer and it doesn't haven't to be designated as an amnesty buyout.



Here's to 16 years of DiPietro on the Isles cap ...
All teams get one? Would be nice to tell Goligoski to **** off.

Cin is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  #414
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
All teams get one? Would be nice to tell Goligoski to **** off.
All teams get two. So far, the NY Rangers and MTL have used one.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  #415
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Goligoski won't get bought out. He still has trade value. Not that he's going to get traded either...

hairylikebear is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
  #416
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Goligoski won't get bought out. He still has trade value. Not that he's going to get traded either...
A 4th rounder?

Cin is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 04:19 PM
  #417
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
A 4th rounder?
Even if it is that little, it's still better than the nothing they would get for buying him out.

hairylikebear is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
  #418
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,136
vCash: 500
Goligoski isn't getting traded or bought out, come on guys.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  #419
KiedisA
Registered User
 
KiedisA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Northern Marianas
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
I wanna see a "normal" season from Goligoski before doing anything..

SJ playing in Chicago tonight.. Now we GOTTA win tomorrow..

KiedisA is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
  #420
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
I wanna see a "normal" season from Goligoski before doing anything..

SJ playing in Chicago tonight.. Now we GOTTA win tomorrow..
There's the first sign we're going to lose tomorrow.

FrailSwan is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  #421
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Goligoski isn't getting traded or bought out, come on guys.
Did somebody say he was?

Cin is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
  #422
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Ovechkin just got a hat trick. Been a pretty entertaining game. I think Ribeiro has assists on 2 of his goals... Need to check the score sheet...

Elysian is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:46 PM
  #423
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,247
vCash: 500
21 points in 17 games for Ribeiro.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
  #424
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,423
vCash: 500


You've got to be kidding me ....

Quote:
@JLPegula

Lets just call a spade a spade. The Sabres are just really bad... #makesmesad
That's is the Buffalo Sabres owner's daughter. That's hilarious. How long before Gaglardi's kids are teenagers and talking **** via twitter???

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
  #425
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Was just on the CBJ site... and well... what the hell???



That kid is freaky, creepy, cheesy, and beyond.

Elysian is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.