HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
Right, I got some EQ50's which are perfect EXCEPT for one spot, which occurs on both skates in the same place... I've had them baked three times and this spot hasn't gone away... It's on the inside of the foot, below and forward of the ankle... Is it just going to be a case of a lot of skating or what? It's not painful, more just uncomfortable. I feel it may be due to my feet being just a tad wide for the boot though?

So yeah, discuss please!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog

vCash: 50
Have been using Bauer One60 skates and thought it was time for an upgrade. Just bought CCM u+ CL skates for 330 bucks off hockeymonkey! (20% off clearance right now)

Does anyone know how much it will be to get them baked?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulikov Is King View Post
Have been using Bauer One60 skates and thought it was time for an upgrade. Just bought CCM u+ CL skates for 330 bucks off hockeymonkey! (20% off clearance right now)

Does anyone know how much it will be to get them baked?
Probably under 30 bucks for a bake and a sharpen.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

Regarding the bake : To optimize results, one should bake them one skate at a time and follow manufacturer's instructions. Since they are so pliable, the skate fitter should absolutely help out but forming the boot with his/her hands around all parts of the foot. Your second bake seems to have addressed what the first didn't.

Regarding the sharpening : What skates did you have before and how long have you used them for?

Regarding RBZ : The 2013 CCM catalogue hasn't been posted yet and thus I've only seen a few photos online.
Pro tacks ca. 04-05ish, been through a few sets of holders & steel (before that 852's & 1052's, 2002 & 2003ish). 11' profile, 5/8" sharpening.

Thinking about trying a 9' radius with a 30-50 or 35-65, 5/8" sharpening. Would like a bit more turning agility as I'm 35 & don't move my feet as much as I used to (sidestep,crossover etc.), but still would like some good glide, I play forward & can still 'power skate' with a long, strong stride.

Thoughts?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Right, I got some EQ50's which are perfect EXCEPT for one spot, which occurs on both skates in the same place... I've had them baked three times and this spot hasn't gone away... It's on the inside of the foot, below and forward of the ankle... Is it just going to be a case of a lot of skating or what? It's not painful, more just uncomfortable. I feel it may be due to my feet being just a tad wide for the boot though?

So yeah, discuss please!
So it's a spot problem? You didn't have to rebake the entire skate if that's the case. There are several ways to treat a spot problem: punch, spot heat and stretch. Stretching widens the whole boot, so that might not be a good option. Does your local shop have a puncher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Pro tacks ca. 04-05ish, been through a few sets of holders & steel (before that 852's & 1052's, 2002 & 2003ish). 11' profile, 5/8" sharpening.

Thinking about trying a 9' radius with a 30-50 or 35-65, 5/8" sharpening. Would like a bit more turning agility as I'm 35 & don't move my feet as much as I used to (sidestep,crossover etc.), but still would like some good glide, I play forward & can still 'power skate' with a long, strong stride.

Thoughts?
That sounds like a good idea; the CLs come with a factory 10'. I would recommend sticking with your 5/8" as well. Any preference for pitch?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
How much more of a difference in durability, comfort are we talking between the best skate I can find for around $500 and $700 or $800 skates
That's too subjective; if the skate fits, it will be comfortable. Generally, the higher you go the more durable it will be since it will get stiffer.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM
sanityplease

Quote:

That sounds like a good idea; the CLs come with a factory 10'. I would recommend sticking with your 5/8" as well. Any preference for pitch?
Well, with a 30-50 or 35-65, the 'flat spot' is slightly forward of center. So I'm assuming that gives the forward 'pitch' while the 9' radius center stays center on the blade.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
esidebill

Just trying to find an answer for my buddy. His skate tongue seems to hurt his foot around the 3rd-4th eyelet, figure where the tongue is on a normal sneaker. Any reasoning to this? It's not the laces, but the tongue itself.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Well, with a 30-50 or 35-65, the 'flat spot' is slightly forward of center. So I'm assuming that gives the forward 'pitch' while the 9' radius center stays center on the blade.
Is that a combo radius? I don't know a lot about that process save for the basic idea, which is intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Just trying to find an answer for my buddy. His skate tongue seems to hurt his foot around the 3rd-4th eyelet, figure where the tongue is on a normal sneaker. Any reasoning to this? It's not the laces, but the tongue itself.
Is it a rubbing sensation like friction? Or a pressure sensation? What skates are they?

It could be that the skate is too shallow for his foot, and with his instep protruding away from the boot, the laces cause excessive pressure on the tongue and foot. Also know as lacebite. The longer one has a skate, the more the tongue breaks down, reducing it's cushioning effect against pressure from the laces.

It could be that his tongue shifts when he skates. Moving the protective centre away from where it should be.

If it's a high end skate, perhaps the plastic insert has creased, creating a pressure point.

A lot of possibilities.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Is it a rubbing sensation like friction? Or a pressure sensation? What skates are they?

It could be that the skate is too shallow for his foot, and with his instep protruding away from the boot, the laces cause excessive pressure on the tongue and foot. Also know as lacebite. The longer one has a skate, the more the tongue breaks down, reducing it's cushioning effect against pressure from the laces.

It could be that his tongue shifts when he skates. Moving the protective centre away from where it should be.

If it's a high end skate, perhaps the plastic insert has creased, creating a pressure point.

A lot of possibilities.
It's more like a biting pain. New skates, GRAF, had the same problem with RBK 12K. Says it feels like the tongue is stabbing that area.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
So it's a spot problem? You didn't have to rebake the entire skate if that's the case. There are several ways to treat a spot problem: punch, spot heat and stretch. Stretching widens the whole boot, so that might not be a good option. Does your local shop have a puncher?
Effectively yes, fortunately all the bakes after were free so it isn't too much of a concern! Sadly, as hockey isn't too big over here they don't really have the kit for that sort of stuff (e.g. widening).

Have you got any advice for how to do it at home? I know exactly where the spot is on the skate so I don't imagine it would be too difficult?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
It's more like a biting pain. New skates, GRAF, had the same problem with RBK 12K. Says it feels like the tongue is stabbing that area.
tell him to google G-form lace bite pads and buy them. They cost like 10 bucks. It was pretty much a miracle cure for me and a couple others I know.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
AIREAYE

See if you can purchase a lacebite pad to ease the pressure:
Many people swear by Bunga : http://bungapads.com/bunga-lace-bite-preventer-lb.html
Elite also makes one, I've sold a few of these : http://www.totalhockey.com/product/L...ad/itm/9159-2/

Check the depth of the skate relative to his foot. Is the problem spot of his foot protruding away from the edge of the boot?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Ted Black

Depending on how bad his lacebite is, he should let it heal for a week or two before he skates again with them though.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Effectively yes, fortunately all the bakes after were free so it isn't too much of a concern! Sadly, as hockey isn't too big over here they don't really have the kit for that sort of stuff (e.g. widening).

Have you got any advice for how to do it at home? I know exactly where the spot is on the skate so I don't imagine it would be too difficult?
But that's the thing with the bake though. 3 times should be the maximum amount that you should need to bake a skates (anymore is a big sign that the skate doesn't fit well) because every time you do so, it softens the boot a bit more.

You can actually try and correct it at home, needing nothing more than a basic heat gun (or a good hair dryer, though a heat gun shouldn't be expensive at all) and some common sense (I assume you're relatively handy, so you would know when too much heat is too much etc.). This is a method that I've started using for customers who find a great fit, save for a problem spot. So far, it seemed to have made a great difference for them, in the store at least.

Hopefully you can have about 30min to kill (watch some TV!). What you would want to do is first get ready to put the skate on because once this first step is done, you should put them and lace them quickly (put your skating socks on, skate guards on the steel to protect them etc.). Secondly, take your heat gun (higher setting if you are sure you can be careful or low setting otherwise) and warm the problem spot from the outside (or inside if you can avoid touching the inside of the boot with the gun), being careful to not concentrate the heat on one place, think circular motions. Get that spot warm to the touch and then quickly put on the skate and lace them normally. Thirdly, take the gun again and re warm the problem spot, maybe have it a tad warmer than the first time. Once it's warm, you can put down the gun and start to press in on that area from the outside using your hands. Imagine lightly kneading dough with your palm. What you want is to essentially compress and reform the foams when they're warm using your hands. If you want you can apply light pressure to the area by putting weight on that foot. Re warm the area as necessary. Once all of that is done to your liking (it shouldn't take a lot of working around), sit normally until they too to around room temperature and avoid skating on it for several hours.

If that still doesn't solve your problem, I suggest looking at Superfeet Yellow, which supports your heel and re aligns the foot to a more natural unsplayed position. Doing a search will give you some more insight on it.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
esidebill

Quote:
See if you can purchase a lacebite pad to ease the pressure:
Many people swear by Bunga : http://bungapads.com/bunga-lace-bite-preventer-lb.html
Elite also makes one, I've sold a few of these : http://www.totalhockey.com/product/L...ad/itm/9159-2/

Check the depth of the skate relative to his foot. Is the problem spot of his foot protruding away from the edge of the boot?
No. He did the traditional pencil test and it was neither too shallow or deep. It's just some kind of freak thing going on. Maybe he'll try one of those pads?

Old
02-22-2013, 04:13 PM
AIREAYE

Worth a shot, if his laces are old and stringed out, perhaps a pair of newer and wider ones could help distribute the pressure a little more. Though he should probably rest it for a bit as well.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Draghen
Rookie User

I just bought a pair of Bauer Supreme Elite Jr. size 5.5 E. They are technically used but they are in perfect condition, no scuffs or anything. I had my foot measured and tried out a bunch of skates and these fit the best. Had them baked (was told by the girl in the tech shop to stand in my skates, but I've heard this is wrong... did I damage my skates).

Looks like a pair I could pull right out a box. However I was wearing previously a pair of Easton (can't remember name) size 7.5 E. They were my first pair of hockey skates and the guy selling them to me said that skates should be 2 sizes smaller than my shoe size. I am a 9.5 shoe and so went with the 7.5 not knowing they were way too big. The guy never actually measured my foot (which should have clued me in to begin with) however I was 17 year old girl and had no clue what I was looking for.

I went skating today and notice a few thing right off the bat about my new skates:

1. I seem to be 'rocking' a lot more in the skate. When accelerating or just plain skating I find myself feeling like I am falling forward or backwards. And the feel of the ice is completely different. (However I was only on for hr due to the rink closing).

2. My left ankle is getting dug into from both sides of the heel, right under the heel bone (one that sticks out). It is actually kinda painful; however the skate fits everywhere else (toes just brushing when standing up, enough room in the width of the toe cap and no pressure anywhere else). My heels have almost no movement when tied up. My right ankle notices some discomfort but not much.

What can I do about this? and did I make a good choice? I am currently a recreation skater (2-3 times a week for 2-4 hrs) and am looking at getting into Ringette. I a descent skater (I can do crossovers, stop, skate backwards and everything) but no extremely aggressive yet.

Also I am now 24 years old and weigh quite a bit, I don't look
overly heavy but I am on the bigger side. Are these skates too soft. The guy that sold me them said they were the stiffest that the store had in my size.

Please let me know if I can do anything about the rocking and pressure. Or do I just have to suffer through it and get used to the skates?

Old
02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
AIREAYE

Seems like you had a rough go in those Eastons huh. Don't worry about the standing when baking part, that should be fine unless you were walking around in them. I only ask people to stand when they want a bit extra width or have slight width issues before.

Regarding the rockering, has the steel been ground down a lot?
http://www.vitalhockeyskills.com/wp-...te-profile.jpg

Otherwise, without any other clue, I would guess that moving from a skate that was too big for you to a properly fitted one in a smaller size is the cause of the rockering. Your foot would've been used to a larger boot/holder/steel and your centre of weight would've been off. Moving to a proper size shifts that balance. Let yourself get used to the skate first, it takes a while for some.

Heel bone? As in your calcaneus? http://www.proper-backposture.com/ankle_bones.jpg

Old
02-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Draghen
Rookie User

That's what I figured was happing when it came to the rocking. That it will just be a transition period of getting used to it. Not sure about the radius of the blade or anything. I think my Eastons had an 11", maybe these Elite have a nine?

As for the steel being ground down. I don't think so. The blades look new.

As for the heel, I guess its actually between my ankle bone (Lateral malleolus and medial malleolus, I think they are called. The actual bump bone that skicks out of the ankle) and the heel. It's right underneath that bone that I am feeling pressure.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:39 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draghen View Post
That's what I figured was happing when it came to the rocking. That it will just be a transition period of getting used to it. Not sure about the radius of the blade or anything. I think my Eastons had an 11", maybe these Elite have a nine?

As for the steel being ground down. I don't think so. The blades look new.

As for the heel, I guess its actually between my ankle bone (Lateral malleolus and medial malleolus, I think they are called. The actual bump bone that skicks out of the ankle) and the heel. It's right underneath that bone that I am feeling pressure.
OK, see if they work in for you then.

That pressure you are feeling is the result of the anatomical nature of the ankle padding, not the first time someone has complained about it lol. Fortunately for you, there are several ways you could go about this. If you want, you could let that part break in as well. You could also compress that area with a spot heat treatment (this is explained several posts back) with the help of the store, or you could have that area punched out by the store; though that's more of a last resort option imo.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i finally gave up on my Graf G65's and am now looking at the APX or One.9 I tried both on but the person working the store wasnt convincing me they knew what they were talking about. Is the sole difference between the supremes and the APX the narrow/medium heel or is there more differences between them? I tried them both on and both felt pretty good (the damage the grafs caused is still hampering my ability to decide on overall comfort but the pressure points are gone. )

Old
02-25-2013, 10:26 PM
AIREAYE

The entire fit story is different. Try them both on again and focus on fit. Check for depth too. Don't rule out other skates either if you don't like either.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Vip
Das it mane

Thinking about getting the Vapor 6.0's. Any reviews?

I currently use pro stock X:60's from the Utah Grizzlies ECHL.
Just looking to get a decent skate without paying too much.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:11 AM
MJAYK

Anyone know whats the difference between Bauer's Vapor and Supreme Total One line? I tried out the NXG yesterday and it felt great. Probably will be purchasing a pair this spring if i find a good deal.

Last edited by MJAYK: 02-26-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Closed Thread