HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: visiting Montreal

Old
07-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Waltah*

vCash: 500
OT: visiting Montreal

Looks like i'm behind enemy lines here!

Putting hockey to the side, just a few questions for all of you from montreal. I have been to Toronto but i was speaking with my father about Montreal. He said it is a beautiful city with a ton of historical buildings and cathedrals. This sounds like a place i would love to take my soon to be wife (DEC. 15th) for a day or two. The only issue i can't get past is that ive heard montreal is not friendly to english speaking fellows like myself.

I'd love to come see your city but i'm a little worried about finding my way around or even eating at a restaraunt.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - dare i say that i might check out "the forum" ? I'll leave the B's jersey at home!

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:29 AM
toughstuff

You will love Montreal and I have no doubt you will truly feel welcomed.

toughstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:32 AM
ThisInsecureMoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC UL8R1990 View Post

Putting hockey to the side, just a few questions for all of you from montreal. I have been to Toronto but i was speaking with my father about Montreal. He said it is a beautiful city with a ton of historical buildings and cathedrals. This sounds like a place i would love to take my soon to be wife (DEC. 15th) for a day or two. The only issue i can't get past is that ive heard montreal is not friendly to english speaking fellows like myself.

I'd love to come see your city but i'm a little worried about finding my way around or even eating at a restaraunt.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - dare i say that i might check out "the forum" ? I'll leave the B's jersey at home!
I got a better suggestion, skip all that and come to Europe instead if you're interested in historical buildings and cathedrals.

But you'll need to stay more than two days though

ThisInsecureMoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:43 AM
HomaridII

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

There is no problem in Montreal if you only speak English. The part about francophones not being friendly to english speaking people is bull IMO. I've been here since 1987 as an immigrant and never had a problem.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:15 AM
skidboot

Make sure you pop into Hurley's for a few pints.

I've never had any problems in Montreal with me being English but it seemed as I travelled further East........

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:24 AM
habfan4

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Don't hesitate for a second on the language question, Montréalers are an accommodating bunch (even for Bruins fans). If you do run into issues with language (very rare IMO), you've met a jerk, which can happen anywhere. Make even the slightest effort in French (if you can) and you'll find that people are more than happy to help you out.

In terms of historic buildings, you'll want to go to Old Montréal which is packed with shops, hotels and restaurants and is a pleasant place to stroll around.

IMO the major Cathedrals in Montréal are disappointing, they are copies of other great churches. Notre-Dame Basilica is a much smaller copy of its Paris counterpart, St. Joseph's Oratory is a copy of Paris' Sacre Coeur and there is a replica of St. Peters on Rene Lévesque Blvd (right on Dominion Square I believe).

The Forum is worth a look, but it's developed into shops and restaurants etc.. so outside of the facade (and centre ice) not much of it's original charm remains.

The Musée des Beaux-Arts is worth a look if you're so inclined.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Waltah*

Thanks for all the help, i will definitley be considering visiting montreal in the near future!

Old
07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
The only issue i can't get past is that ive heard montreal is not friendly to english speaking fellows like myself.
Probably the opposite. At some places, you could almost forgot you're in a french city.

Hockey aside, there's absolutly no hate between Montrealers and Bostonians.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
tinyzombies

You're American, don't worry about French. Nobody is going to expect you to know how to speak French. We do get a lot of hooligans from Boston up here though in the stripjoints and parolling the streets. Otherwise, you'll have a good time. No worries.

In the "western" side of downtown, most of the people in the bars are English, but you should feel free to move around the entire city.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
deandebean

Just don't wear your Bruins jersey. That might blow your cover.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Just don't wear your Bruins jersey. That might blow your cover.
I was just about to say that...lol

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:21 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
. The only issue i can't get past is that ive heard montreal is not friendly to english speaking fellows like myself.

we eat english speaking fellows like you..and expect to be beaten to death with a fleur de lysee flag by a bunch of mighty separatist...

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Frankc

There's no problem with the language here..
I'm working in a hotel in the old Montreal and I hear more people speaking english than french. And all the place you'll go in old montreal or the downtown, you'll always find someone who speaks english. I'm not perfect bilingual and I work in a hotel where there's around 80% of the guest don't speak french.. if I can't tell what I have to say, there's other employees that will give me a hand to help.. So no matter where you are you'll be able to get an answer in english, just don't always expect someone who speaks english perfectly
Voilà!

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:45 PM
jpchabby

In fact, Montreal is like the only place where, if you only speak english, it's kind of OK... if you go in regions like Beauce or Abitibi or Lac-Saint-Jean, people are gonna kick your a*s if you don't speak french lollll

But if you come to Montreal only speaking english there's no problem... it's nice to know some people are still interested in us lollll

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Waltah*

Yea i heard if you go to Quebec and speak english......you might have quite a time. lol

Old
07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Pensaholic

Send a message via MSN to Pensaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
I got a better suggestion, skip all that and come to Europe instead if you're interested in historical buildings and cathedrals.

But you'll need to stay more than two days though
Montreal is the closest thing to europe without having to fork over thousands of dollars.

Pensaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Kafka

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Hihihi... I didn't know we had cathedrals here.... a lot of churches, but nothing comparable to what you can find in Europe. If you come here, take the time to visit Quebec too... it's the only fortified city in North America.

As for the language issues, there are NO problems with tourists. There are anglos that never learn french that manage to live their life in Montreal. Everyone is welcome here. However, don't mention you are a Republican if you are.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
In fact, Montreal is like the only place where, if you only speak english, it's kind of OK... if you go in regions like Beauce or Abitibi or Lac-Saint-Jean, people are gonna kick your a*s if you don't speak french lollll

But if you come to Montreal only speaking english there's no problem... it's nice to know some people are still interested in us lollll
False rumor. I know an anglo from canada working currently in Saguenay: he was accepted and is starting to learn franch there.

Old
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
we eat english speaking fellows like you..and expect to be beaten to death with a fleur de lysee flag by a bunch of mighty separatist...

May I rephrase:
We eat english speaking fellows like you..and expect to be beaten to death with a fleur de lysee flag by a bunch of mighty sovernist.......

Old
07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

There is a lot to do over the summer, especially if you have a car. There should be the Canadian Open tennis sometime soon, although the best tickets are surely gone by now. If you like classical, there is the Lanaudiere festival north-east of the city, although I realize that teh overlap between Hfboards and classical is about 3 people. There are many bring-your-own-wine French restaurants worth trying. Yoyo; La Colombe; Les Heritiers; La Raclette; etc. You can probably find them by Google. Enjoy.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:20 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
False rumor. I know an anglo from canada working currently in Saguenay: he was accepted and is starting to learn franch there.
Well I don't think it's really that false...imo, having most of my family over there and having spent some time over the years there, people in Saguenay don't really understand/speak english very well, so I can easily see an english speaking person having more trouble finding help there than in Montreal, and added, the chances to meet a jerk imo.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:50 PM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post

Urban legend...... i lived in Abitibi(go huskies ) for 2 years and believe me... you won't have any problems if you dont speak french down there...

furax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
There is no problem in Montreal if you only speak English. The part about francophones not being friendly to english speaking people is bull IMO. I've been here since 1987 as an immigrant and never had a problem.
seems like montreal became 50-50 english-french...

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Well I don't think it's really that false...imo, having most of my family over there and having spent some time over the years there, people in Saguenay don't really understand/speak english very well, so I can easily see an english speaking person having more trouble finding help there than in Montreal, and added, the chances to meet a jerk imo.
jerks are averywere I agree and speak different languages.

Old
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Yea i heard if you go to Quebec and speak english......you might have quite a time. lol
In Quebec City most people wont understand you, its not that they will be bad with you eheh. But even lil Quebec City new generation is much better at supporting the english crowd.

If you want problems with the language, just visit Paris. Quebecers are really not "at war" with english speaking, black and yellow outfit dudes.

Last edited by SOLR: 07-14-2006 at 03:32 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote