HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
bud12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
For all his beloved protection, Kadri still decided to fight a guy twice his size.
If you call that a fight......... not surprising coming from you

Old
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only thing I would add in that department is maybe a big wingnut like 6'7" 250lbs to beat the tar out of Orr and co and play 15-20 games a year as #14 forward. MacIntyre?
Exactly. And this big guy suits up only against teams like Toronto, Buffalo and Boston.

Rest of the time he is in the Press Box.

This would not break the bank nor exceed the Cap.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You realize, of course, that Orr also played 82 games and racked up 240 PIMs for them the year they finished second-to-last in the league...right?
This is the worst excuse yet.

It still takes talent to win games. It still takes great coaching to win games.

Having Orr on the Habs would not have turned Gomez into a scoring machine. Nor would it have made Gill skate faster.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:57 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Exactly. And this big guy suits up only against teams like Toronto, Buffalo and Boston.

Rest of the time he is in the Press Box.

This would not break the bank nor exceed the Cap.
Sounds good to me.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Sounds good to me.
Unfortunately, I dont see Bergevin making a move in this shortened season. I do think that he will address this issue during the offseason.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Unfortunately, I dont see Bergevin making a move in this shortened season. I do think that he will address this issue during the offseason.
I'm not sure why he can't address it now and have that guy available against those goon teams. It's not like our 4th line is filled with untouchables.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
ChoseLa

Cody McCormick on waivers, as useful as Armstrong and can fight.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 PM
masyo88*

Leafs fan coming in peace, firstly congrats on your amazing start! Hope both our teams make the playoffs. Now on to the issue at hand, I don't see why you guys would be against an enforcer? Prust is a stand up guy and a monster, but hes undersized and in the NE division none of the big boys are afraid of him. He can not do all the fighting by himself. White is a gamer, but doesn't he make to many bone headed plays? No one would really be afraid to answer him anyway. Moen really doesnt fight anymore because of concussion issues anyway right?

I can't see how having a guy like Kassian would hurt the team over an Armstrong. Who was useless in Toronto and from now understanding is useless in MTl to. The factor that Kassian could bring would be a lot more valuable then what Armstrong offers. To those saying dressing a enforcer makes no difference, I can tell you first hand it does. Last year the leafs were the softest team in the NHL under Wilson. We started the year hot but when things got physical as the year went on, we got embarrassed. Teams figured out if you go after Kessel or Dion then they get shaken up and were basically out of the game mentally. We even had scrums last year were our own players would ignore the scrum and go to the bench. This year with Orr, Brown, Fraser, Mclaren all in the game, Kessel is getting into scrums chirping and holding people. The moral of the team is different and everyone is playing a few inches taller. After the Boston incidents from the past few years, and the Toronto ones and so on I don't see why you guys wouldn't.

Also I don't think its fair to call Orr, Mclaren and so on goons. Orr is on the third line now and is playing decently. He has a goal and an assist, isn't a defensive liability, if you watched the games you would realize that and he can even keep up with the nhl speed. It's not like he holds the team back with his play, he busted his ass of in the offseason to improve his game. Fraser is a machine back there and can play at the NHL level and Mclaren is playing solid for a forth liner. I would argue that we have no goons on our team. Goon meaning they can't skate properly and fight and can't even hit cause they are to slow. We have role players that when things get out of hand can goon it up.

In conclusion, Montreal should get an "enforcer" but be smart about it. Get someone like a Kassian and a trio of White, Prust and Kassian will be decent.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Cody McCormick on waivers, as useful as Armstrong and can fight.
McCormick has had problems with a finger since January. Tough for a guy who's main attribute is to fight.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Same Leafs that were initially worse with Carlyle than they were with Wilson last season?

Same Leafs who in 2011-2012 finished on top of the Eastern Conference in October winning seven of 10?

Same Leafs that can never play a full season since the lockout?

The difference in Toronto is their leading goal scorer and their leading point producer: Kadri and Van Riemsdyk. Frattin is also doing a good job making up for the injury to Lupul.
Kadri has mentioned that having a guy like Orr has made all their job easier and that they have all more courage to do all out. Wilson just plain didn't want to use Orr. He didn't want to play THAT kind of hockey. Just look at Phaneuf, he just seems all around more relaxed.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
This is the worst excuse yet.

It still takes talent to win games. It still takes great coaching to win games.

Having Orr on the Habs would not have turned Gomez into a scoring machine. Nor would it have made Gill skate faster.
You miss the point so aggressively when you're waiting to launch into your regurgitated pro-enforcer spiels that I'm convinced you do it on purpose. Re-read the conversation but this time, put an ounce of thought into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Kadri has mentioned that having a guy like Orr has made all their job easier and that they have all more courage to do all out. Wilson just plain didn't want to use Orr. He didn't want to play THAT kind of hockey. Just look at Phaneuf, he just seems all around more relaxed.
What else is he going to say? "Yeah he's a pretty bad hockey player, I wish we had some skill in the line-up instead"?

Wilson just plain didn't want to use Orr? Must be why Orr played 133 games under Wilson.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Try to explain that to the Mother Teresas on this board.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
You miss the point so aggressively when you're waiting to launch into your regurgitated pro-enforcer spiels that I'm convinced you do it on purpose. Re-read the conversation but this time, put an ounce of thought into it.

What else is he going to say? "Yeah he's a pretty bad hockey player, I wish we had some skill in the line-up instead"?

Wilson just plain didn't want to use Orr? Must be why Orr played 133 games under Wilson.
That's a pretty sad post if you want my opinion. You're trying to diminish a hockey player's point of view to convince yourself that you're right.

As for Orr, Kimota is right. Burke signed Orr to a 4 year contract but Wilson didn't like having a heavyweight in the line-up. There's a reason why he was in the AHL his 2nd year of the contract season.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
That's a pretty sad post if you want my opinion. You're trying to diminish a hockey player's point of view to convince yourself that you're right.
I take hockey players' opinions on their teammates with a grain of salt like anyone with half a brain would. Attempting to use Kadri's comments as some kind of critical analysis into the importance of an enforcer to the lineup is just laughable.

Quote:
As for Orr, Kimota is right. Burke signed Orr to a 4 year contract but Wilson didn't like having a heavyweight in the line-up. There's a reason why he was in the AHL his 2nd year of the contract season.
Which explains why Wilson, as head coach, has dressed at various times: Todd Ewen, Stu Grimson, Dave Karpa, Warren Rychel, Craig Berube, Chris Simon, Bryan Marchment, Scott Parker, Scott Thornton, Andre Deveaux and Colton Orr.

Is it not possible that maybe he didn't like Colton Orr's play that year? Because the history seems to show that Wilson had no problem dressing tough guys or heavyweights at any point in his head coaching career.

But no, of course not. It's because the Leafs finally got a coach who understands the importance of an enforcer and that's why they're winning. Despite all historical evidence and logic to the contrary.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:14 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Hoto is right. How many habs backed up Gomez and kept claiming that he was a standup guy and great hockey player to the bitter end?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
If Kadri was playing scared before Orr was on his line it says more about him then the value of an enforcer. Arguably the biggest/baddest guy around is Chara but that doesn't stop one of the smallest guys Gionta from playing him as hard as anyone else. Hell I even remember Kostitsyn hitting Chara from behind not that long ago, he wouldn't of done that if he was afraid now would he?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

McCormick is actually the one who looked bad against Bourque? Yeah...great enforcer.

Yes, we do need an enforcer. But at the right price. No need to overpay. And the day we'll really believe in it, we'll start drafting them. We don't have a whole lot of histories with drafting/trading for goons. Look at the Timmins drafting since 2003. Only look at the forwards or D's that were indeed pure goons...or grit guys with "some" punching qualities....It starts with Jimmy Bonneau....then Greg Stewart, Andrew Conboy and Ryan White. Add the Ian Schultz acquisition. Clearly, we're "babies" in that departement....I guess we can only improve. But it does seem pretty far in Timmins and Co "qualities" in a draft.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
McCormick is actually the one who looked bad against Bourque? Yeah...great enforcer.

Yes, we do need an enforcer. But at the right price. No need to overpay. And the day we'll really believe in it, we'll start drafting them. We don't have a whole lot of histories with drafting/trading for goons. Look at the Timmins drafting since 2003. Only look at the forwards or D's that were indeed pure goons...or grit guys with "some" punching qualities....It starts with Jimmy Bonneau....then Greg Stewart, Andrew Conboy and Ryan White. Add the Ian Schultz acquisition. Clearly, we're "babies" in that departement....I guess we can only improve. But it does seem pretty far in Timmins and Co "qualities" in a draft.
I'd rather Timmins take a chance on guys with talent in the later rounds. He's gotten more than his fair share of late round gems. You don't need to draft an enforcer to get one. Just go back through this thread and see how many are put on waivers every year.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

no, McCormick never fighted again Bourque. Its Hendricks

Old
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

So lets look at the conversation.

Kimota says that Orr gives the Leafs players more courage. You respond with this.........

Quote:
You realize, of course, that Orr also played 82 games and racked up 240 PIMs for them the year they finished second-to-last in the league...right?
And I respond that it takes talent to be a winning hockey team.

So to respond to your "aggressive" post to me, I will simply ask you this.

What are you really trying to say? Can you be more clear instead of posting some sarcastic reply to Kimota?

That should not require more than an ounce of thought from you either.

Thanks.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

u guys remember him?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:51 PM
freezie

I wish he was still with the Habs! That fight happened right in front of me , I can hear myself whistling during the fight . Lost that game , but it was my first in 20 years . Man why didn't they keep staubs , he was great for our team .

Old
02-22-2013, 05:51 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

u guys remember him?
Yes, and he's French too. Sign him up to st least make the locals happy.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

u guys remember him?
Add Staubitz, mix in some starts for Budaj to finish the season, and you end up with a delicious Galchenyuk. Happy tanksgiving 2012!

Old
02-22-2013, 06:00 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
So lets look at the conversation.

Kimota says that Orr gives the Leafs players more courage. You respond with this.........
He's right. It gives courage. Never would Kadri have dropped the gloves without Orr, McLaren and a bunch of other players ready to back him up.

But we need to ask ourselves what kind of courage this is. The same kind of courage that Marchand has in Boston. The courage to disturb, the courage to give that extra hit or punch, the courage to intimidate the one's smaller than you (not talking about Kadri), knowing that someone will back you up if a bigger guy goes after you.

It doesn't gives you the courage to play harder, finish your check, play the body, clear the net, skate hard, drive the net, etc. That has nothing to do with an enforcer. It's the difference between toughness and grit. Plekanec is not tough, but he's gritty and he doesn't need an enforcer for it.

That being said, I love the way Toronto plays. The reason for their success is not that they have an enforcer, it's that their whole identity is based on toughness (even Kadri bought into it). Just like the Bruins and the Ducks when they won the cup.

What makes you win game is a strong identity. But it doesn't have to be about toughness. Detroit and Pittsburgh won the cup with talent and hard work. Montreal had success with a team identity based on the PP for years.

It doesn't matter what is your identity, but you gotta find one to be effective. At the moment, Habs identity cannot be about toughness. They would have to trade away half the team. Adding an enforcer wouldn't be significant. They have to look in another direction.

That being said, I'm not against adding an enforcer as a 13th forward. I just don't think it's needed right now, nor that it would have the positive effect some think it would have.

Closed Thread