HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Florida Panthers at Pittsburgh Penguins | Feb. 22nd 7:00 PM ET

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
ZapRowsdower13
FROstige Worldwide!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Between this thread and the Kennedy hate thread (thats well deserved though) whats with all of the Adams hatin'? Is he ridin' dirty and you guys don't care for it, or as one poster suggested he's gettin up there in age and we could use DJ or Vitale instead?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialthrila13 View Post
Between this thread and the Kennedy hate thread (thats well deserved though) whats with all of the Adams hatin'? Is he ridin' dirty and you guys don't care for it, or as one poster suggested he's gettin up there in age and we could use DJ or Vitale instead?
I think it's a carry over from last season where he wasn't that useful and especially the playoffs where our pk fell apart completely.

He's been great this year, though. Easily the best hockey he's played since the 09 cup run.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
He is completely useless if he's not penalty killing, which we have plenty of fowards that can.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I'm not saying Vitale deserved to be benched, but what exactly has Adams done that warrants benching? He's been terrific this year.
I wonder if any scouts are at this game?

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Some quotes from the site.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 02-22-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It really does bother me when Vitale is out of the line up. It really does.
The dude literally does nothing wrong, plays his heart out, creates offense, and still gets sat. It's so damn frustrating, and a symptom of Bylsma's unaccountability of veterans.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The dude literally does nothing wrong, plays his heart out, creates offense, and still gets sat. It's so damn frustrating, and a symptom of Bylsma's unaccountability of veterans.
If anything, Vitale should be promoted and tried on the third line. I don't know if he can play wing, but he can't be any worse than Kennedy.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Adams is great at what he does, but what he does isn't that great.

He kills penalties well... and that's about it. So does Jeffrey, so does Vitale. Hell we also have Cooke, Dupuis, Glass, Sutter, and Crosby who can kill penalties too.

Old
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Yes, get Letang off that first unit.
There's no doubt our PP has been better with Martin back there. How? I don't know. The only think I know is that he gets his shots through a lot better than Letang, but they're going at a snail's pace, so I have no idea how it happens....but it works.

This whole LH shot pp unit followed by a RH shot unit blows my mind. I still say you spread the talent, have a RH shot on both units so that you have to respect BOTH sides of the ice. Imagine if a PK had to worry about a one timer from both sides of the ice for once against the Penguins?

But the PP is going well right now, so we can't complain. It doesn't seem like a well oiled machine by any means, but somehow we're scoring. I thought last game was the best our PP looked all year. Fast puck movement, player movement, shots, etc.

Now to figure out why Engo is staying in the lineup night after night. Or what more Vitale has to do to stay in the lineup.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPuddle View Post
If anything, Vitale should be promoted and tried on the third line. I don't know if he can play wing, but he can't be any worse than Kennedy.
I'd 100% be in favor of this.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Again though, why should Adams be benched? He's played very well. If anybody should be benched, it's TK. I'd be fine with having Vitale in over TK.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
There's no doubt our PP has been better with Martin back there. How? I don't know. The only think I know is that he gets his shots through a lot better than Letang, but they're going at a snail's pace, so I have no idea how it happens....but it works.

This whole LH shot pp unit followed by a RH shot unit blows my mind. I still say you spread the talent, have a RH shot on both units so that you have to respect BOTH sides of the ice. Imagine if a PK had to worry about a one timer from both sides of the ice for once against the Penguins?

But the PP is going well right now, so we can't complain. It doesn't seem like a well oiled machine by any means, but somehow we're scoring. I thought last game was the best our PP looked all year. Fast puck movement, player movement, shots, etc.

Now to figure out why Engo is staying in the lineup night after night. Or what more Vitale has to do to stay in the lineup.
I think it's because Martin doesn't go spaz when he gets the puck on the powerplay. He doesn't try the pump fakes and perfect passes. I think it's just a calming effect.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post

Only thing I'd change is Sutter filling in for Kunitz. Kunitz is actually quite useless out there as a "net front presence"

Old
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Random Oracle

vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Only thing I'd change is Sutter filling in for Kunitz. Kunitz is actually quite useless out there as a "net front presence"
Agreed. I don't really know what Kunitz brings to the PP.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
He hinders the PP probably as much as he helps it.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
ZapRowsdower13
FROstige Worldwide!

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Quote:
I think it's a carry over from last season where he wasn't that useful and especially the playoffs where our pk fell apart completely.

He's been great this year, though. Easily the best hockey he's played since the 09 cup run.
Quote:
He is completely useless if he's not penalty killing, which we have plenty of fowards that can.
Quote:
Adams is great at what he does, but what he does isn't that great.

He kills penalties well... and that's about it. So does Jeffrey, so does Vitale. Hell we also have Cooke, Dupuis, Glass, Sutter, and Crosby who can kill penalties too.
Ok makes sense. I enjoy guys like him who do their job well but then again there are others who could do it better. I also like having him in the game when he starts to get into it with another teams Cooke, for lack of a better term, becasue its funny to consider how much smarter he is than them. But ya I'd MUCH rather see Kennedy benched, get both DJ and Vitale (much more a Vitale guy than Jeffery) in there at times.

Quote:
Again though, why should Adams be benched? He's played very well. If anybody should be benched, it's TK. I'd be fine with having Vitale in over TK.
I believe that's the most common opinion but it seems TK won't be coming out so drop to the 4th line and why not Adams then. Almost a compromise it seems.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Agreed. I don't really know what Kunitz brings to the PP.
if Letang would actually shoot the puck, i wouldnt mind him down there for one timers lol

Old
02-22-2013, 12:16 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
if Letang would actually shoot the puck, i wouldnt mind him down there for one timers lol
That's why I'd put Sutter in there, simply to give the threat of a right handed shot and the PK having something else to worry about.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
I'd be all for that. TK just isn't good enough for the top 6, but IMO isn't a good fit for the 3rd line either. I know he gets a lot of hate, and it's not that he's useless, he just can't seem to find a fit here.

Adams is a great vet guy to have, but would like to see him sit more in the regular season and get more time in the playoffs.

Even having him play everyday, moving TK allows Vitale and Jeffrey to play everyday.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
KIRK

Quote:
You know, I seem to recall a more naive Bylsma once thought a spark plug like Vitale might just work on a line with Geno in the playoffs. But, that was before his buddy Granato came to town and set him straight.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
KIRK

Quote:
That's why I'd put Sutter in there, simply to give the threat of a right handed shot and the PK having something else to worry about.
Sutter might be fine, but I can think of a Penguins forward who's got a sharper right handed shot and would be more creative with the time and space he'd get on the Pens PP . . .

. . . And no, I don't ******* mean Beau Bennett, I mean Craig Adams.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:57 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You know, I seem to recall a more naive Bylsma once thought a spark plug like Vitale might just work on a line with Geno in the playoffs. But, that was before his buddy Granato came to town and set him straight.
I would honestly be more enthusiastic about Vitale in that spot than Cooke or any of the other ones tried there.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:00 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
He's got a pretty solid kick technique down

Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I would honestly be more enthusiastic about Vitale in that spot than Cooke or any of the other ones tried there.
Me too. I wasn't joking. Look at everyone who's been tried at L2 LW and tell me why Vitale didn't even merit a period. He wins board battles, has a little creativity, is fast and hits, plays responsible defense, and can help on the faceoffs. Oh, I know why . . . BYLSMA.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It really does bother me when Vitale is out of the line up. It really does.
It bothers everyone.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
No, he's not. He's a good 4th line player. Responsible defensively, hits, plays with energy and while he's horrible at it, will fight when the situation calls for it (not staged fights)

Closed Thread