HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I go in the shower and THIS happens? Damn! Didn't expect this today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
This means one of two things:
1. Garth & Cappy have super-duper GINORMOUS balls or
2. Wang is cutting costs to prepare for a sale of the team.
Its not a cost cutting measure because Wang still has to cut him a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Watch he gets claimed
That GM should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY and be permanently barred from working in any hockey capacity for the remainder of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Merry Christmas!!!

I wasn't expecting a February Christmas gift.

I will say this contract and health aside, NO ONE can question this guys desire to be an NHL goalie or how much he bleeds blue and orange. DP has a lot of heart. Its a shame he never reached his true potential we thought he could achieve. Hopefully he can go to Bridgeport and be a good mentor there.

02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I think Rick would make a good color analyst, and I definitely think it would be classy to give the guy a chance doing so eventually. I mean, let's be honest, this guy very clearly loves this team and has been nothing but dedicated since he first got here. He has dealt with a lot of crap with his body and the fans, people choose to ignore that just cause he is making a boat load of money but this guys dream was practically taken away from him due to injuries which would be rough on ANYBODY. Especially because he had so much potential, that probably made it much harder on him.
I like Rick, and in 2006 he was a really good goalie. But, I think it's too early to talk about him on TV as an analyst. I don't think he will give up for some time, despite being sent down. It's not in his nature.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Does anyone know what where Rick and the Isles stand re: insurance? If he goes down to the AHL and plays and can't physically cut it, can there be some attempt to get compensation to him and/or the Isles via insurance? If so, I wonder if he's going to the AHL as a last attempt to show that he physicallly can or can't play anymore?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
bigbren92

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RoOwSKI7M

Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles93 View Post
Does this explain the Tim Thomas trade? It on the off chance DP gets picked off waivers they do not go under the cap. If they choose to buy out DP at the end of the year they just toll Thomas's contract.
This makes sense. When it was reported that Snow was trying to keep all the vets I wondered why they did the TT deal. Now this makes sense.

This move gives me hope that more good things are on the way, that the club will finally take itself seriously, but hope is to an Islander fan what bacon underwear is to a lion tamer.

Please let this club do more good moves soon.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Isles Fan

So we finally have proof there is a God!!!

Seriously, this move is long overdue and much needed.

Next to locking up tavares, this is just second time Snow has made a wise GM move. Maybe there is hope after all.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Frankly he is the man with the 5 head. When he played goalie and was healthy he was fine. But too many games were lost due to long strolls into the corners, back of the net, over handling the puck countless GA and derailed games because of very, very poor hockey IQ. I think the guy was just uncoachable and he never seemed to realize that the stick handling tricks have a time and a place, and that this is the NHL, not the AHL, not Juniors.

He never seemed to grasp that.

The last Milbury cancer is officially removed. Perhaps now the body can begin to live again!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Hipietro

I feel bad for the guy but this needed to be done. Thank God

Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Rick on waivers? Am I dreaming?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
bigd

Maybe Snow has been reading hockeyfutures forum, Ha, ha. Now maybe this team can finally move on from Ricky D.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Maybe Snow has been reading hockeyfutures forum, Ha, ha. Now maybe this team can finally move on from Ricky D.
IR4 has a theory that they do read the forums. The whole 'Galenchuk' correction from Howie Rose last night kind of seemed like it.

Howie was butchering Galchenyuk's name all night and then it was corrected with like 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Right after IR4 posted about it on here. Hmmmm.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
This is a sad day, although I knew the majority here would be thrilled. Hope he does well in Bport and gets a chance to come back up.
Regardless he will be one of my favorite Isles of all time. He really loves this team, it's a shame so many failed to realize this. Good luck Ricky, hope you make it back up soon.
Sad day on one hand yes.

Ecstatic day on the other hand. And, I NEVER, EVER, EVER want to see him in an Isles uniform again.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Rick on waivers? Am I dreaming?
If this is a dream... Dont wake me up!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Islander Prophet

hopefully a team picks him up and we don't have to ever deal with him again haha!!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
DeanCrandall

Does this really mean anything ? He obviously will clear waivers, nobody is that silly to sign him.
So he goes to Bridgeport and sits on that bench instead of this one. Who do we bring up Poulin ?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM
OpAck

I think alot of us could sense Snow was just itchin to move on and get either Poulin or Nilsson a chance. And doing it via 3-goalie carousel wasn't going to work. Now it's Poulin's turn to take the bull by the horns and really solidify himself as an NHL-goalie. If not, I'm sure Anders Nilsson would love a shot.

As for Rick...what more needs to be said? The odds were stacked against him ever returning to pre-injury form. That contract could've actually worked had Rick not suffered career-threatening injuries and continued to be a 30+ win goalie. But it just didn't work out that way and you've got to feel for the guy. He owes alot to the Isles organization for giving him every opportunity, and then some, to return to form. He's still going to be in Bridgeport, so I don't think we've washed our hands completely of him...but to be honest, I think Rick retires after this season. Maybe he'll be around at training camp, but if Nabby is still here and Poulin plays well...Rick will not make the team. He can play in Bridgeport, but I really think alot of those minutes will go to Nilsson anyway. So, my guess, is that he'll retire and hopefully join the Isles org in some capacity. Just PLEASE no goalie coach!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Isles hat
E N F O R C E R

Goodbye dp!!!!!!!! Glad to see you go!!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
Does this really mean anything ? He obviously will clear waivers, nobody is that silly to sign him.
So he goes to Bridgeport and sits on that bench instead of this one. Who do we bring up Poulin ?
Yes, it means having a real backup goalie to spell Nabokov. And yes Poulin will be called up.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I go in the shower and THIS happens? Damn! Didn't expect this today.

Hmmm...can you go take another shower and come back with a 1st line wing or maybe a #1 or 2 Dman?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Anyone know what happens to his contract if he does retire?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Isles1983

Isnt DP our last Milbury mistake?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

How the decades have passed with this team and so little accomplished...

All I can do is what I did when I saw this news item; lie my head on the table and think of what could have been...Luongo anchoring goal for ten years with Gaborik/Heatley lighting it up for us, and Chara anchoring the blueline for ten years....the wasted opportunities with this team surmount any other....

Old
Bunk Moreland

Katie Strang

Quote:
#Isles GM Garth Snow on potential buyout of DP: "We haven't given that any consideration at this point."
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...20557609541632

Old
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Agreed, I'm one of Rick's biggest fans since his college days. I love his attitude, his love of the crest, his love for Long Island, his respect for the fans and his heart and desire to battle back. I hope he can rebound someday either with the Isles on a cheap contract or on another team.

I would really welcome him as someone in public relations on our team as he really is respectable and is a truly genuine person.
exactly, how nice those "fans" gave him a nice going away present by booing him unmercifully on opening night, and chanting "DP Sucks" in his last game

I am an Islander fan, but a part of me wants the team to do bad, mainly because of the crappy fans we have

Old
02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Anyone know what happens to his contract if he does retire?
I believe the Isles are off the hook.

But he's not going to do that... Who would walk away from making $4.5m per year while playing under no pressure in the minors? I sure wouldn't... He's one tweak away from sitting at home for 8 months any way.

Closed Thread