HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What about Gionta?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
Gionta never has had soft hands and wicked accuracy of true snipers, so his goals came about as having a ton of ice time and getting a large volume of chances. Well, these deficiencies are really starting to show themselves, as all he does is enter the zone and takes a crappy shot. He doesn't win puck battles that matter anymore, and everything about his game just looks weak.

It's amazing how similar he is to his buddy Gomez, except instead of passes to nowhere, it's shots to nowhere that are a gift to the enemy.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
Why do you think that there are GMs who may like Gionta's "intangibles" and Marc Bergevin is not one of those GMs? Why should Gionta be traded to another team for a Cup run when the Canadiens currently reside in first place?
Because I don't think Habs are a first place team over a 82 games season. Far from it. Still too many holes in the lineup to be a real cup contender.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

I swear, if Kaberle was not on this team, Gionta would have to be a candidate for a buyout.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Haha man, love the guy's determination to continue shooting those no angle weak wrist shots. Like he thinks to hisself ''This is the one that is going to get in''
Like the ginea pig running on his roulette thinking "I'll get to where I want to go, i'll get there, I swear...!".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I swear, if Kaberle was not on this team, Gionta would have to be a candidate for a buyout.
Buyout... really?!

It sure was a bad game for Gionta but we are 1st in the East and Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta played a major role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Because I don't think Habs are a first place team over a 82 games season. Far from it. Still too many holes in the lineup to be a real cup contender.
I like the mix and depth of players upfront, I like the coaches and GM and Price is... Price. The only major hole I see is a tough and big top 4 D... but I am willing to wait for Tinordi!

2012-13:

3. Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillon as the #7D.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Sad but true. But it's hard to do that to a captain.

That said, we should watch the next weeks closely. Markov is dangerously slowing down, at every aspect of the game. He slowly becomes one of the most dangerous player with the puck... Let's hope he'll turn things around.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Do Gionta for Nick Foligno straight up. Folingo would can play from the 1st to 3rd line and he has more size and can be pretty feisty, going in front of the net and so forth.

I don't know if Columbus would do that, though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Buyout... really?!

It sure was a bad game for Gionta but we are 1st in the East and Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta played a major role.
Meh...I don't think that line has been nearly as good as everyone seems to believe.

As for Gionta...Its going to be interesting to see how the Habs deal with him going forward.

Next year he'll be playing on the last year of his deal, can you really have the captain of your team playing with such uncertainty?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt this summer...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You also thought we'd win the cup last season
Must feel good to put words in people's mouths when you're out of clever things to say.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
I like the mix and depth of players upfront, I like the coaches and GM and Price is... Price. The only major hole I see is a tough and big top 4 D... but I am willing to wait for Tinordi!

2012-13:

3. Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillon as the #7D.
To me, Habs need a true #1 d-man. A d-man who can really take charge of a game. Then they need a good stay at home physical d-man. Tinordi may be that guy.

Up-front, I think they need another Prust-like player, with more offense. A kinda Scott Hartnell or Clarkson. For the rest, it all depends on the way the youngsters developp; If Galchenyuk or Eller don't developp as true #1 or #2 center (they may become nice wingers - it's not a given Galchenyuk will be a center), then the Habs will need another true #1 or #2 center.

We shouldn't get fooled by the early results of the team. Over a 82 games season, Habs are still a 6th to 10th position team. The last 2 weeks showed us that Gionta and Markov are dangeroulsy "slowing" down, which become 2 big holes right there.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Meh...I don't think that line has been nearly as good as everyone seems to believe.

As for Gionta...Its going to be interesting to see how the Habs deal with him going forward.

Next year he'll be playing on the last year of his deal, can you really have the captain of your team playing with such uncertainty?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt this summer...
Just in case you did not read the thread: they are always facing, successfully, our top opponent’s line, they scored 41% of the ES goals by the forwards and they generated 78% of the PP goals scored by the forwards.

As I mentioned: we are 1st in the East and Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta sure played a major role.

Yes we can find a better solution than Gionta (EDIT - @LePoche69: a guy like Clarkson would be great!) on 1st but speaking of buyout is borderline ridiculous... imo!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-22-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Just in case you did not read the thread: they are always facing, successfully, our top opponent’s line, they scored 41% of the ES goals by the forwards and they generated 78% of the PP goals scored by the forwards.

As I mentioned: we are 1st in the East and Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta sure played a major role.

Yes we can find a better solution than Gionta on 1st but speaking of buyout is borderline ridiculous... imo!
Maybe I didn't phrase that properly...I don't find there's alot of chemistry between 17-14-21. There were a few games off the top of my head, the Sabres game, where they looked pretty good. But overall, it's been so-so

As for buying out Gionta...I don't agree with that, he's still a useful player. But the coaching staff seems to think that he's useful in all situations.

I'd like to see them take away some of his PP time to allow more creative players like Gallagher or Galchenyuk more icetime in key offensive situations.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:

Yes we can find a better solution than Gionta on 1st but speaking of buyout is borderline ridiculous... imo!
Bourque and Plekanec played a major role, and have been producing despite having Gionta on their wing. You can't be honest with yourself and believe Gionta has been playing a major role out there. He contributes to nothing, whether it is in the offensive zone or the defensive zone. Honestly, he's playing as bad as Gomez was last season so far. The only reason why he's not being talked of more is that he has a reputation of giving it all on the ice, and even then, I just don't see it anymore from him.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Maybe I didn't phrase that properly...I don't find there's alot of chemistry between 17-14-21. There were a few games off the top of my head, the Sabres game, where they looked pretty good. But overall, it's been so-so

As for buying out Gionta...I don't agree with that, he's still a useful player. But the coaching staff seems to think that he's useful in all situations.

I'd like to see them take away some of his PP time to allow more creative players like Gallagher or Galchenyuk more icetime in key offensive situations.
The weird part is that I feel the same way regarding the lack of obvious chemistry between those 3 players and yet, it works! The results are there and they act all vets, all business.

I also wish for less PP time for Gionta but at the same time, I realise that he is the only (when Gallagher is out) right-handed shot we have who can assume PP duties.

That said, I agree with you.

@GFORCE

We are on the verge of running in circle here (subject already covered) so we should save this argument for another thread!

Old
02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
The weird part is that I feel the same way regarding the lack of obvious chemistry between those 3 players and yet, it works! The results are there and they act all vets, all business.

I also wish for less PP time for Gionta but at the same time, I realise that he is the only (when Gallagher is out) right-handed shot we have who can assume PP duties.

That said, I agree with you.
I would like to see a

Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher line in a near future.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
I would like to see a

Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher line in a near future.
I think that a significant proportion of Gionta's detractors also wish for a Gionta/Gallagher swap but that would be asking a lot from (from or to?) a rookie.

If by "a near future" you meant within 1-2 year(s), I agree. Heck... I think Gallagher, contrary to 19 years old Galchenyuk, is ready to play against tougher competition and he would look good alongside Desharnais and Pacioretty... right now. Desharnais and Pacioretty are not facing the same level of competition than Plekanec’s line; it would add less pressure on our rookie’s shoulder.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think that a significant proportion of Gionta's detractors also wish for a Gionta/Gallagher swap but that would be asking a lot from (from or to?) a rookie.

If by "a near future" you meant within 1-2 year(s), I agree. Heck... I think Gallagher, contrary to 19 years old Galchenyuk, is ready to play against tougher competition and he would look good alongside Desharnais and Pacioretty... right now. Desharnais and Pacioretty are not facing the same level of competition than Plekanec’s line; it would add less pressure on our rookie’s shoulder.
Having two 5'9'' and under guys on the same line isn't ideal in the defensive zone or on the cycle in the offensive zone. Same reason why Gionta with DD was never really an option.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Gionta still on the PP today......Doesn't deserve to be there. I guess it's one slap at a time. Today it's Cole.....I hope Gionta's turn come soon. He has no business to be on the first 2 PP units with the guys we have.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gionta still on the PP today......Doesn't deserve to be there. I guess it's one slap at a time. Today it's Cole.....I hope Gionta's turn come soon. He has no business to be on the first 2 PP units with the guys we have.
even worse, it would only take one goal of Gionta to save him a spot on the PP for the whole season

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
The sooner he leaves, the sooner we can put the Gainey fiasco behind us. He brings nothing of value, too small and soff.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Do Gionta for Nick Foligno straight up. Folingo would can play from the 1st to 3rd line and he has more size and can be pretty feisty, going in front of the net and so forth.

I don't know if Columbus would do that, though.
I'd do it in a heartbeat but i doubt Columbus would do it.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
The sooner he leaves, the sooner we can put the Gainey fiasco behind us. He brings nothing of value, too small and soff.
Not only that, but one could argue he's not even giving 100% of himself in any zone anymore. And defensively, he's now become a nuisance more than anything else.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:26 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I effin hate his long distance slap shots any goaile catches in his sleep

Dude is afraid of contact so he shoots from downtown

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Clumsyhab

He's just a shooter without a shot at this point.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, this is a 48 game season. If the Habs were to fall out of the playoff hunt by the trading deadline, I could see the logic in trying to trade Gionta, otherwise, there is no chance that will happen.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote