Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I was fully prepared to be impressed by that pass, it looked great leading up to it, then a no-look pass right on the tape of the other team.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm also looking at his stat sheet:

0 goals
0 assists
0 +/-
0 shots
0 blocked shots
0 hits
3 fo wins
3 fo losses

I didn't say he looked terrible, he was invisible.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm also looking at his stat sheet:

0 goals
0 assists
0 +/-
0 shots
0 blocked shots
0 hits
3 fo wins
3 fo losses

I didn't say he looked terrible, he was invisible.
This is exactly what I'm afraid he'll end up looking on the 4th line. Not standing out in a negative way, but not getting anything done either. Stagnant would probably be a suitable description. Not saying it's going to be like that from this game on, because every player has games where they're invisible, but I'm afraid that's what he'll end up being in the long term, assuming he keeps on playing on the 4th line.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:16 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
He'll be off it now that Clutter looks hurt. :Silver Lining:

But actually...I'd be pretty satifisfied with a Bouchard/Brodz/Granlund 3rd line.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Gaps

I think Larsson will take Clutter's spot. That leaves Granlund with Rupp, Mitchell and Konopka on the 4th line.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Was pretty invisible tonight except for his terrible turnover on the PP.
Agreed. Big step down from 4 consecutive impressive games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbler View Post
I thought he had a great physical game tonight. His 4th line training is going quite well imo.
Disagree. He engaged but lost in many puck battles..not sure if he really won any. Also found himself getting knocked around again tonight. Turned many pucks over. Like I said..big step down from 3-4 really impressive games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
This is exactly what I'm afraid he'll end up looking on the 4th line. Not standing out in a negative way, but not getting anything done either. Stagnant would probably be a suitable description. Not saying it's going to be like that from this game on, because every player has games where they're invisible, but I'm afraid that's what he'll end up being in the long term, assuming he keeps on playing on the 4th line.

Exactly. Why I don't think he will benefit from playing 9 minutes a game. It simply will not help his game. He was building confidence playing 12-15 minutes a night..looking really good in the process and producing 3 assists in 3 games with 2 of them being goals that came because of his hard work to get and distribute the puck.

After he plays so well and seems to be getting it he gets slapped in the face with 8 minutes of ice time and now 9. Hopefully it doesn't destroy his confidence but tonight certainly was a step backward after many steps forward...

One can certainly argue the step backward comes from playing so well then being demoted?? Seems like mixed signals to Granlund from Yeo to me.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
He'll be off it now that Clutter looks hurt. :Silver Lining:

But actually...I'd be pretty satifisfied with a Bouchard/Brodz/Granlund 3rd line.
Wont happen.

Quote:
I think Larsson will take Clutter's spot. That leaves Granlund with Rupp, Mitchell and Konopka on the 4th line.
Yep.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
One can certainly argue the step backward comes from playing so well then being demoted?? Seems like mixed signals to Granlund from Yeo to me.
I 100% disagree with this statement. Sure, it isn't a confidence booster but Granlund is a mature kid that is used to the pressure. Being demoted from 3rd to 4th line minutes isn't going to shatter him.

And Granlund did see time as the 2nd PP centerman, but still showed inconsistency when dealing with the physical aspects of the game.

Until I see him play a game where he can be a factor on a 5-on-4, I support him being on the lower lines as opposed to next to Koivu-Parise on a 5-on-5 play or in the AHL against easier players.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I 100% disagree with this statement. Sure, it isn't a confidence booster but Granlund is a mature kid that is used to the pressure. Being demoted from 3rd to 4th line minutes isn't going to shatter him.

And Granlund did see time as the 2nd PP centerman, but still showed inconsistency when dealing with the physical aspects of the game.

Until I see him play a game where he can be a factor on a 5-on-4, I support him being on the lower lines as opposed to next to Koivu-Parise on a 5-on-5 play or in the AHL against easier players.
To be fair, though. He only got 46 seconds of PP time. Not exactly racking up the minutes there. I could see the line of thought if he got 4th line minutes and a good amount of PP time, but thats not happening.

Granlund has a 3 game point streak. Gets put on fourth line anyways. Hes looked a helluva lot better after his healthy scratch and he still hasn't been given an opportunity. Coyle gets a top-line shot while Granlund doesn't? Okay. Granlund has set-up Seto plenty of times and Seto wasn't able to bury. Let's blame Granlund for that. Okay....

His physical game has come around and he has shown a good amount of hustle. Hes been solid defensively and only had that one stupid pass last game. Granlund deserves an opportunity, even if its just one game. If not, send him to the AHL where he can get some real minutes.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
To be fair, though. He only got 46 seconds of PP time. Not exactly racking up the minutes there. I could see the line of thought if he got 4th line minutes and a good amount of PP time, but thats not happening.

Granlund has a 3 game point streak. Gets put on fourth line anyways. Hes looked a helluva lot better after his healthy scratch and he still hasn't been given an opportunity. Coyle gets a top-line shot while Granlund doesn't? Okay. Granlund has set-up Seto plenty of times and Seto wasn't able to bury. Let's blame Granlund for that. Okay....

His physical game has come around and he has shown a good amount of hustle. Hes been solid defensively and only had that one stupid pass last game. Granlund deserves an opportunity, even if its just one game. If not, send him to the AHL where he can get some real minutes.
Unfortunatley(?) its become a numbers game now that the Wild are showing signs of coming together. The first line is the first line and the second line is clicking. (Love having three speedsters on a single line!).

Assuming that Clutter is out for the next game, can you really put a line of Butch-Brodziak-Granlund out on the ice? Ill admit im a little intrigued, but Larsson just fits the bill so much better.

Therefore Granny is essentially 'stuck' on the fourth line.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Sportserie

Yeah that's the thing... eventually Granlund will be on that second line but since our second line is hitting and sticking right now, he's not going there anytime soon. He will get there but not yet. I think he'll maybe go to the third line or remain on the fourth for a while.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Unfortunatley(?) its become a numbers game now that the Wild are showing signs of coming together. The first line is the first line and the second line is clicking. (Love having three speedsters on a single line!).

Assuming that Clutter is out for the next game, can you really put a line of Butch-Brodziak-Granlund out on the ice? Ill admit im a little intrigued, but Larsson just fits the bill so much better.

Therefore Granny is essentially 'stuck' on the fourth line.
I definitely can't disagree with having Larsson over Granlund in that context. But since Butch has been struggling greater than Granlund as of late, why not do a Granlund-Brodziak-Larsson?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
nickschultzfan

Granlund did not have a good game last night, but I think Bouchard needs to be moved to make room for him in the top-9. It's not like Bouchard is adding anything Granlund doesn't add and this point.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I definitely can't disagree with having Larsson over Granlund in that context. But since Butch has been struggling greater than Granlund as of late, why not do a Granlund-Brodziak-Larsson?
Thinking about it, that would probably be my preference and makes the most sense to me. Unfortunately Granlund has the entry level contract, which makes him easier to move him around. It also put 2 rookies on the first line which Yeo has been hesitant to do.

Again its a numbers game now. Maybe you just rotate Butch and Granlund between the 3rd and 4th line and just play the hotter hand on the 3rd?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With Granlund, I think he needs more puck time, not less. Putting him on the fourth line for 8 minutes a game means he gets few touches. His strong suit was his puck handling and vision. When you want to boost someone's confidence, you don't have them work on their weak spots, you have them focus on their strengths. Get a few small victories and work from there.

It was one thing when Granny was carrying the puck and then getting knocked off it...he's not even carrying the puck now. Going the wrong way.

Honestly I would send him down for 1-2 weeks, let him get 20+ minutes a game, let him light it up, get that confidence going, get some swagger, then come back with a fresh start on a scoring line.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
Yeah that's the thing... eventually Granlund will be on that second line but since our second line is hitting and sticking right now, he's not going there anytime soon. He will get there but not yet. I think he'll maybe go to the third line or remain on the fourth for a while.
I think that right now Granlund playing well in the 4th line just isn't enough to give him a spot on the 2nd line and that sucks. Basically, aside from having to put up a good performance while playing small minutes, someone else has to fail at the same time. It is a numbers game right now.

If they want to keep 2 or 3 rookie forwards and actually give them all decent minutes, someone has to go. Russo said he thinks PMB won't get re-signed and may be on his way out before the trade deadline, but I don't know if they're in a hurry to trade him. So it may be a while.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Ville231

Quote:
With Granlund, I think he needs more puck time, not less. Putting him on the fourth line for 8 minutes a game means he gets few touches. His strong suit was his puck handling and vision. When you want to boost someone's confidence, you don't have them work on their weak spots, you have them focus on their strengths. Get a few small victories and work from there.

It was one thing when Granny was carrying the puck and then getting knocked off it...he's not even carrying the puck now. Going the wrong way.

Honestly I would send him down for 1-2 weeks, let him get 20+ minutes a game, let him light it up, get that confidence going, get some swagger, then come back with a fresh start on a scoring line.
This is exactly what Yeo should do. Unfortunately I dont think he'll do that , especiallly now that clutter got hurt.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:11 AM
nickschultzfan

Even though I love Mitchell's game, I would put Granlund on a line with Larsson and Brodziak.

Bouchard I would bump to the 4th line with Kenopka and Mitchell.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
bear1

vCash: 363
Quote:

In three years he will be back playing in Finland. Not trolling its just the way it is hes not going to make it.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
In three years he will be back playing in Finland. Not trolling its just the way it is hes not going to make it.
Meh its also pure speculation.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
If that's just the way it is, you can probably recommend me a crystal ball dealer. What are tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
QnebO

Quote:
If that's just the way it is, you can probably recommend me a crystal ball dealer.
Mentalist Noora Karma who will predict right tomorrows all SM-Liiga games results.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Mentalist Noora Karma who will predict right tomorrows all SM-Liiga games results.
Maybe she can also tell us if MiG will bust. Someone should contact her.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
bear1

vCash: 363
Quote:
If that's just the way it is, you can probably recommend me a crystal ball dealer. What are tomorrow's lottery numbers?
12 23 25 27 43 29PP happy now go get a home equity loan get as much as you can and bet the farm!

Old
02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

One game does not equal need to freak out over a rookie who had an off night.

Hell with all the young guns that played in that game last night there wasn't one that stuck out from either team. It took the elderly to produce offense for both sides, not exactly what anyone was expecting going into that one.

Closed Thread