HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm so glad Semin is making his teammates better in Carolina. He was asked to do that here and failed. Ribeiro was given the exact same assignment here and has succeeded. For cheaper. What am I missing?
Yes, it's not like Chimera had a career season last year and Perreault did so well the statsturbators thought his ESP/60 made him a valid Semin replacement.

Also, I totally forgot that Semin played center.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
txpd

if ribeiro were morrison, the caps would be crazy bad. i dont understand what has happened to nick backstrom. thats sort of what gets lost in the shuffle. yea, semin is gone and ovechkin struggling. ribeiro is replacing backstrom's production which is great if backstrom is out, but he's right there and often invisible.

what happened there? concussion was that bad? is he playing thru that neck injury?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if ribeiro were morrison, the caps would be crazy bad. i dont understand what has happened to nick backstrom. thats sort of what gets lost in the shuffle. yea, semin is gone and ovechkin struggling. ribeiro is replacing backstrom's production which is great if backstrom is out, but he's right there and often invisible.

what happened there? concussion was that bad? is he playing thru that neck injury?
Gotta be some combination of the concussion and neck injury. We just have to hope that both him and Ovechkin need this season to work their respective issues out.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Well there's the powerplay, where Ribeiro is outperforming him and feeding Ovechkin gimmes. And then when Ribeiro is on a separate line he's making his linemates better and outperforming him.

You're the one who moved the comparison in that direction.
I'm gonna have to see some of those gimmes. If anything it's Ovechkin feeding Ribeiro layups in the slot or to the left of the goalie. I don't recall Ovechkin having a single shot on goal where the goalie was totally out of position and there wasn't at least one defenseman between him and the goal. Only difference is this year he's actually burying some of those.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Halpysback

Quote:

It's Semin not being there to whisper sweet nothings into his ear. Ditto for Ovechkin. You'll see more and more evidence pile up as the weeks go by.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I'm gonna have to see some of those gimmes. If anything it's Ovechkin feeding Ribeiro layups in the slot or to the left of the goalie.
Remember when Semin shanked layup after layup on the PP? Ribeiro buries them

Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:

It's still possible the supposed neck injury was actually another concussion.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
It's Semin not being there to whisper sweet nothings into his ear. Ditto for Ovechkin. You'll see more and more evidence pile up as the weeks go by.
excuse me?? what?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Gotta be some combination of the concussion and neck injury. We just have to hope that both him and Ovechkin need this season to work their respective issues out.
NBC coverage Sunday made an interesting point that some players who played on KHL big rinks in lockout struggles to adjust back to NHL sized rinks.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Backstrom used to play a very underrated physical game (i.e. nailing Callahan after the Fedorov game 7 winner). Since the headshot he's a lot more tentative. His production isn't terrible but he's not a game changer anymore.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Backstrom used to play a very underrated physical game (i.e. nailing Callahan after the Fedorov game 7 winner). Since the headshot he's a lot more tentative. His production isn't terrible but he's not a game changer anymore.
You can see that in how all the young guns play now. Mike Green on his injury: "“You’ve got to play it smart. It’s better I be safe than sorry and be out for longer."

Old
02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
You can see that in how all the young guns play now. Mike Green on his injury: "“You’ve got to play it smart. It’s better I be safe than sorry and be out for longer."
Mike Green used to play downright dirty (that's a compliment). He's completely gunshy now.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
I'm so glad Semin is making his teammates better in Carolina. He was asked to do that here and failed. Ribeiro was given the exact same assignment here and has succeeded. For cheaper. What am I missing?
What you're missing is that Ribeiro and Semin aren't mutually exclusive (at least at the $70M cap for this season). I'm not arguing against the Ribeiro acquisition, I don't think anyone is. Wolski would have been the man left off the roster if Semin was still around, not Ribeiro.

Which of these lines would you prefer?
Wolski - Backstrom - Brouwer
Semin - Backstrom - Brouwer

Quote:
I'm glad you brought up the powerplay. Ovechkin is on pace for 21 ppg. His highest pace since 2008 and one off his career best. This coinciding with replacing Semin with Ribeiro on that unit.
We're also playing a different powerplay scheme. More than one variable has changed here. This is only the second time the Caps have used a 1-3-1 PP during the Ovechkin era, and the previous incarnation was short lived (beginning of last year until Bruce was fired), and used a different strategy (Ovie was in Brouwer's spot).

Old
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Well there's the powerplay, where Ribeiro is outperforming him and feeding Ovechkin gimmes.
Ovechkin's top PP production with Semin was 46 points in 79 games. Call me when Ribeiro helps elevate him to that level again...

Old
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Remember when Semin shanked layup after layup on the PP? Ribeiro buries them
He also buried quite a few of them, though since he attacked from the left and Ovechkin was already the primary attacker from the left there wasn't as much opportunity.

Thing about Ribeiro is despite his tons of points he's not really making his linemates better. His style is kinda like Briere's in that. Our most "made better" linemate in Brouwer has been playing with Backstrom primarily, and Joel Ward is a beast no matter who you put him with.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
7 games or not that team got abused by the pens. Varlamov and Ovechkin made it seem way, way, way closer than it really was.
Varlamov then wasn't any better than Holtby was last playoffs and I'll take riding the best player in the sport at that time over coin flips any day...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Varlamov then wasn't any better than Holtby was last playoffs and I'll take riding the best player in the sport at that time over coin flips any day...
Uh, yeah, he was. Holtby was a rebound machine. You didn't notice because the caps D got to practically every single rebound first. Meanwhile the Pens had like 4 follow up chances before Mike Green would stroll in and casually try to break things up.

You take riding the best player in the sport and you'll get exactly what we got under Bruce.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
1 goal in 16 games for a guy who potted 101 in his previous 365 games is pretty awful. His 6 PP assists so far are fine. His 6 even strength points are also pretty bad, not Ovechkin bad but Backstrom doesn't only gets to play with Ribeiro on the PP so that is to be expected...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Mike Green used to play downright dirty (that's a compliment). He's completely gunshy now.
I think that's good for Green's long-term outlook, however. Balsa wood is much harder to break if it's not hitting anything at high impact. I'm fine with him using excellent stick work to break up play, rather than any physical element.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Uh, yeah, he was. Holtby was a rebound machine. You didn't notice because the caps D got to practically every single rebound first. Meanwhile the Pens had like 4 follow up chances before Mike Green would stroll in and casually try to break things up.
Yet somehow Varlamov's 'only' had a 2.59 GAA, and .918 save % while facing 30 shots a game that playoff season compared to Holtby's pedestrian 1.95 GAA and .935 save % while facing 32 shots per game...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What you're missing is that Ribeiro and Semin aren't mutually exclusive (at least at the $70M cap for this season). I'm not arguing against the Ribeiro acquisition, I don't think anyone is. Wolski would have been the man left off the roster if Semin was still around, not Ribeiro.

Which of these lines would you prefer?
Wolski - Backstrom - Brouwer
Semin - Backstrom - Brouwer

We're also playing a different powerplay scheme. More than one variable has changed here. This is only the second time the Caps have used a 1-3-1 PP during the Ovechkin era, and the previous incarnation was short lived (beginning of last year until Bruce was fired), and used a different strategy (Ovie was in Brouwer's spot).
Your ignoring the internal cap that obviously exists. So yes, Ribeiro wouldn't be here if they'd re-signed Semin at $7M.

Semin was not the glue that held the team together. He's not the answer to the team's problems.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
1 goal in 16 games for a guy who potted 101 in his previous 365 games is pretty awful. His 6 PP assists so far are fine. His 6 even strength points are also pretty bad, not Ovechkin bad but Backstrom doesn't only gets to play with Ribeiro on the PP so that is to be expected...
His shooting % being as low as it is could be more bad luck than anything. His shooting is down by almost 1 shot/game compared to where he's been in the past, though. I don't know how much of that is being apart from Ovi, how much of it is adjusting to a new system, and how much of it is questionable health and/or tentativeness due to injury history. It's a trend that I would want to see reversed, though.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Yet somehow Varlamov's 'only' had a 2.59 GAA, and .918 save % while facing 30 shots a game that playoff season compared to Holtby's pedestrian 1.95 GAA and .935 save % while facing 32 shots per game...
Does that take into account the quality of shots teams were able to get against us in BBhockey vs Hunterhockey?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Does that take into account the quality of shots teams were able to get against us in BBhockey vs Hunterhockey?
I was going to make the same point. Varly faced numerous odd man rushes each game. Holtby on the other hand really only had to make the initial save on chances that were kept to the outside for the most part. The times the puck got in close, bad things happened.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Halpysback

Ah, good point, forgot about the internal cap. Can't waste that precious internal cap space on Semin when you've got gamers like Laich, Poti, Hamrlik and Schultz making all that well earned cash. McPhee definitely made the right roster choice there.

And yeah, Semin's obviously not the glue the answer to the team's problems. Evidence may be piling up to the contrary, but who cares right.

Closed Thread