HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

OT: Anything Goes 6: BBH/Culk Containment Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
A place we hit up after the game in Columbus was a bar called 'R Bar'. It was a cool little sports bar a few blocks from the arena...about half the patrons there after the game were Hawks fans.
I'll keep that in mind for next time for sure, thanks.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
The biker bar mean thing is all built up by TV. I've been to plenty of them before, usually not by choice, and none of the crap you see on TV ever happens at them. Complete opposite crowd from myself, but they're always a blast to have a few crappy beers with and shoot the ****.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
The biker bar mean thing is all built up by TV. I've been to plenty of them before, usually not by choice, and none of the crap you see on TV ever happens at them. Complete opposite crowd from myself, but they're always a blast to have a few crappy beers with and shoot the ****.
This is so beyond true, but I can't legally have beer there.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:07 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
This is so beyond true, but I can't legally have beer there.
A while back we were in Milwaukee for whatever reason, and there was some massive Harley event going on our hotel was flooded with them... They were the typical long beard, tattoo filled, leather jacket wearing guys you'd picture in your head. A ton of them hung out in the pool and tossed the ball with my nephews and younger cousins all day long, and just ran around with them like they were their own kids.

I actually felt bad for them in a way, because you'd see a handful of families that were your typical suburban families... They'd walk in, see the biker crowd in the pool area, and immediately walk back out and not even let their kids enjoy the pool because they were apparently scared or whatever.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I actually felt bad for them in a way, because you'd see a handful of families that were your typical suburban families... They'd walk in, see the biker crowd in the pool area, and immediately walk back out and not even let their kids enjoy the pool because they were apparently scared or whatever.
That's a blessing as far as I am concerned. More space, more privacy.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

White chocolate-covered pretzels, nom nom.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:14 AM
RayP

Pay day & my tax return came in today.

Very tempted to blow a portion of my tax return on a Super Chexx.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Pay day & my tax return came in today.

Very tempted to blow a portion of my tax return on a Super Chexx.
A portion? Getting a Super Chexx has been a long time dream of mine and I can tell you right now that you'd be lucky to get a used one in good shape for $1500. More realistic would be closer to $2000.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
A portion? Getting a Super Chexx has been a long time dream of mine and I can tell you right now that you'd be lucky to get a used one in good shape for $1500. More realistic would be closer to $2000.
From the Ice Chexx site, they start at about $2300. If I get one, I'm definitely going through them directly. Seems the mechanics of it would be tricky to try and fix something, and I wouldn't trust someone selling one.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
coldsteelonice84

If you can afford it, more power to you, go for it. One of the greatest table top games there is and you don't see them around very often, would be a hell of a center piece for an apartment/condo/house. I'd love to get a new one but would have to give up the Hawks tix to be able to go out and do that. I like working with my hands and will more likely slowly save for a good condition used one and tinker with it a bit to get it tip top.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
coldsteelonice84

Which one do you want to get? Miracle on ice, Hawks vs. Flyers or customized (with one team obviously being the Hawks).

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
RayP

Quote:
If you can afford it, more power to you, go for it. One of the greatest table top games there is and you don't see them around very often, would be a hell of a center piece for an apartment/condo/house. I'd love to get a new one but would have to give up the Hawks tix to be able to go out and do that. I like working with my hands and will more likely slowly save for a good condition used one and tinker with it a bit to get it tip top.
Suppose to be putting money away towards our new apartment... And not one of the greatest, it simply is THE GREATEST. My and my buddy use to always go to ESPN Zone Chicago, and with all the high tech games they had, we'd spend the entire night downing beers and playing that game, and that game only.

Quote:
Which one do you want to get? Miracle on ice, Hawks vs. Flyers or customized (with one team obviously being the Hawks).
I was pondering that. I think I'd go for Miracle On Ice. I wouldn't want Hawks/Wings, just because I don't want to constantly have to look at a Detroit jersey, even if it's only a 4 inch piece of plastic. Obviously the Cup memory is my best Hawk memory ever, I don't know if I'd want to be stuck with Philly in the dome... so like I said, I think I'd go with Miracle On Ice.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, thanks for correcting my grammar. It certainly is THE greatest. I'd probably get Miracle on Ice too, though I'll be pretty much limited to that if I get a used one. I would love to have the Hawks-Philly one though. I'll play it whenever I see one (not often), but I used to make my dad take to me to Chelli's after the games we went to (not that he objected, lol), when I was a kid. Always had to get a few games in, that place was packed all the time, dumb move by Chelios to close it but I guess he has money to burn and wanted to make some kind of statement. I know he has new ones up in the Detroit area though.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for correcting my grammar. It certainly is THE greatest. I'd probably get Miracle on Ice too, though I'll be pretty much limited to that if I get a used one. I would love to have the Hawks-Philly one though. I'll play it whenever I see one (not often), but I used to make my dad take to me to Chelli's after the games we went to (not that he objected, lol), when I was a kid. Always had to get a few games in, that place was packed all the time, dumb move by Chelios to close it but I guess he has money to burn and wanted to make some kind of statement. I know he has new ones up in the Detroit area though.
We always went to Chelli's before a game as well, and I always wore my Chelios jersey even though I had like 4 other Hawks jersey.

The only place that I even know that has a Chexx game these days, is Sluggers by Wrigley.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
RayP

Oddly enough, speaking of the Miracle On Ice... happened 33 years ago, to this day.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, did you see Eruzione was selling his jersey from the game and some of his equipment at an auction tomorrow? The jersey alone is expected to get over a million bucks. Why the hell not? Smart on him to hold out this long.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:53 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah, did you see Eruzione was selling his jersey from the game and some of his equipment at an auction tomorrow? The jersey alone is expected to get over a million bucks. Why the hell not? Smart on him to hold out this long.
No, I didn't see that... but damn.

He pocketing the money or it going to charity?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
coldsteelonice84

He's keeping most of it but will be donating some of it. Can't blame him, I mean, I am sure he hasn't had to work other than appearances, but this is his big pay day and retirement fund so to speak. He said the medal is all he really cares about and he will never sell that. Oddly though, one of the players is selling his medal and it will get $400,000 as opposed to the 1M+ the jersey will get.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
RayP

I don't blame him either for keeping it, or if he decided to keep all of it. He never made anything playing hockey, but did a little commentating. His Wiki says he is currently a co-owner of a USHL team... which I can't imagine is bringing in that much money.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
I don't blame him either for keeping it, or if he decided to keep all of it. He never made anything playing hockey, but did a little commentating. His Wiki says he is currently a co-owner of a USHL team... which I can't imagine is bringing in that much money.
Depends, a number of those organizations in that league do pretty well financially. Not like a major league organization, of course, but enough to pocket some coin on. But largely, you're right, junior organizations aren't huge profit makers. The right owners for those clubs do it because they love the game, not strictly to try and make money.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Depends, a number of those organizations in that league do pretty well financially. Not like a major league organization, of course, but enough to pocket some coin on. But largely, you're right, junior organizations aren't huge profit makers. The right owners for those clubs do it because they love the game, not strictly to try and make money.
Oh I know, but I'd imagine the operating costs for a hockey rink are going to cripple anyone for a game that costs so little to attend. And yeah, you definitely don't invest in a team like that to make money, it's all about loving the game... Which is great for him, at least he is around something he no doubt loves. My point is, a million bucks for a guy like him is likely a huge sum of money... Rather than say if a guy like Brett Hull was a co-owner of a USHL team, and had that jersey up for auction.

Why I chose Brett Hull, I have no idea...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Oh I know, but I'd imagine the operating costs for a hockey rink are going to cripple anyone for a game that costs so little to attend. And yeah, you definitely don't invest in a team like that to make money, it's all about loving the game... Which is great for him, at least he is around something he no doubt loves. My point is, a million bucks for a guy like him is likely a huge sum of money... Rather than say if a guy like Brett Hull was a co-owner of a USHL team, and had that jersey up for auction.

Why I chose Brett Hull, I have no idea...
Yeah, no doubt that's a big sum of money for him.

Brett Hull isn't that far off. He was/is co-owner of the St. Louis Bandits, a team in the NAHL, but they ceased operations for this season. Not sure if they're coming back or not next year or relocating or what.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
madgoat33

so they finally updated roster for nhl 13 but didn't change any hawks players outside of saad. leddy is still a 79, kane is apitifully low 86(Sharp is 87), and you can't even use mayers or brookbank online. figures that something made in vancouver would come up short of being good.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Do any of you live near the house on Shameless? I love that show!

Old
02-23-2013, 06:08 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
We always went to Chelli's before a game as well, and I always wore my Chelios jersey even though I had like 4 other Hawks jersey.

The only place that I even know that has a Chexx game these days, is Sluggers by Wrigley.
That chili was delicious

Closed Thread