Old
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
In terms of suspension, it will be 5 games at a max right since it's over the phone and not in person?
Correct.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

vCash: 500
Here's something that's bound to get you guys all fired up like it did to me on Twitter.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...l-clutterbuck/

"Why I Am Okay With Taylor Hall's Hit on Cal Clutterbuck"

(insert facepalm here)

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 50
I'm maybe too old.. but the way I see a hip check. The hitter is skating more like backwards and hitting with the hip only. Old school.

It's very difficult for me to understand that you may hip check like that -> skating forward with bent knee. No matter what part of you hits first or best. If it wasn't a knee on knee it was a failed knee on knee. Hip check - no way.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This is a hipcheck:

This is not:

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi75 View Post
I'm maybe too old.. but the way I see a hip check. The hitter is skating more like backwards and hitting with the hip only. Old school.

It's very difficult to me to understand that you may hip check like that -> skating forward with bent knee. No matter what part of you hits first or best. If it wasn't a knee on knee it was a failed knee on knee. Hip check - no way.
Yeah, I totally agree. Just because he hit him with his hip/knee (w/e ppl are calling it), doesn't mean it's a legal play.

When I think of a properly executed hipcheck, I think of a player racing down the boards and an opposing player cutting down the angle so the other player is left with nowhere to go and then he gets hipchecked. The hipchecker is usually approaching from a lateral direction. (does that explanation make sense? it makes sense in my head). If taylor hall thinks what he did is legal then .

In Taylor hall's case, he is moving in a forward direction and turns at the last second to take out clutterbuck's leg. That is not how you deliver a safe hipcheck. When a hipcheck is not delivered properly, they can be very dangerous. Taylor hall needs be dealt with for this reckless and dirty hit. You can end a player's career doing nonsense like this.

When hipchecks are performed correctly there is almost never an injury (those head over heels ones). That habs player emelin has some solid open-ice hipchecks, but you never really see the hipcheckers moving forward to deliver it. It's kind of a lateral motion towards the player. Hall goes across his field of view and takes out the leg that is further away.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Dampland
Heavily Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Cheapshot, but no injury.
Certainly an interference penalty there is no question. I'll maybe even agree that it is a "cheap shot", but I see this play about 10 times a game no matter what teams I'm watching, and to me this is about a 1 (10 being highest) on the "cheapshot scale".

He hit him in front of the shoulder, didn't touch the head, did not drive thru/finish the check, appeared to be more of a hard push to the ice. Granted Hall was looking the other way admiring his pass. No problem with Clutz getting a penalty on this one. But not really a dirty play.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Certainly an interference penalty there is no question. I'll maybe even agree that it is a "cheap shot", but I see this play about 10 times a game no matter what teams I'm watching, and to me this is about a 1 (10 being highest) on the "cheapshot scale".

He hit him in front of the shoulder, didn't touch the head, did not drive thru/finish the check, appeared to be more of a hard push to the ice. Granted Hall was looking the other way admiring his pass. No problem with Clutz getting a penalty on this one. But not really a dirty play.
That description matches the one you would probably hear from Oilers fans about Halls hit on Brodin...

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
DANOZ28

tsn kerry fraser answers ? about hit. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416585

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
That description matches the one you would probably hear from Oilers fans about Halls hit on Brodin...
Brodin himself also said he thought the hit was clean, if I remember correctly.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
Here's something that's bound to get you guys all fired up like it did to me on Twitter.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...l-clutterbuck/

"Why I Am Okay With Taylor Hall's Hit on Cal Clutterbuck"

(insert facepalm here)
I'm choking on my pasta

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Can someone enlighten me please .... over on the Oilers board someone said that basically Clutterbuck deserved it, because he has a history of cheap shots and INJURING Oilers players.

I can't think of anytime that Clutterbuck has gotten a "cheapshot" penalty nor injured someone from the Oilers in the past. Am I forgeting something or were those comments totally wrong?
They're ****ing idiots.

Clutterbuck plays rough and hard, but he's never been cheap or dirty.

SOME Oil fans have this weird sense of entitlement that just goes completely beyond reason.

Many of these same fans are always going on about how all we do is trap, the "Mild" are so boring, that's why they lose to us, they deserve to win because they're so skilled, yet they constantly lose, blah, blah, whine, whine, ****ing whine.

These fans don't know what the **** they're talking about and truly do just make **** up because they feel entitled for whatever reason.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

The edmonton journal piece is obvious pandering. the journalist must think most Oilers fans are mouthbreathing retards, judging by the article.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
They're ****ing idiots.

Clutterbuck plays rough and hard, but he's never been cheap or dirty.

SOME Oil fans have this weird sense of entitlement that just goes completely beyond reason.

Many of these same fans are always going on about how all we do is trap, the "Mild" are so boring, that's why they lose to us, they deserve to win because they're so skilled, yet they constantly lose, blah, blah, whine, whine, ****ing whine.

These fans don't know what the **** they're talking about and truly do just make **** up because they feel entitled for whatever reason.
They deserve to be. They were really good 25 years ago...

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Dampland
Heavily Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I guess I will have to go back and re-watch the Hall on Brodin video. My recollection is that it was a clear case of boarding, driving right thru the player, very intentional.

But I know when it first happened, I watched the video, and thought... Hall deserved the penalty he got, and also I remember thinking ... hmmm that seemed pretty aggressive by Hall. But that was about it.

Old
DeuceMN
Really?

I hope we check the living crap out of Hall next time we play him.

Legal, fair, but hard and every freakin chance possible. I want him so bruised he'll think twice before he ever does that kind of thing to any player again. He should not be allowed to think that doing that would ever be a good choice.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
the journalist must think most Oilers fans are mouthbreathing retards, judging by the article.
Well..

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:45 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
This is a hipcheck:

This is not:

Exactly. Hall's hit was intentionally dirty, plain and simple.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Dampland
Heavily Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevolution View Post
Brodin himself also said he thought the hit was clean, if I remember correctly.
What would you expect a 19 year old rookie, who barely speaks English, to say after getting smashed by a rising "star".

If he said anything else, he would be labeled a cry baby.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

This only makes our Oiler sweep of the season taste so much better. Let the *****es ***** and draft high, we will go to playoffs. Just squeeze in because we swept the Oilers.

I can also imagine that the next game between Eddy & Wild will have some additional spark.

Sharppi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
The Moose

Quote:

I agree, but frankly Clutterback history is irrelevant. IMO, Hall hit was reckless but unintentional and deserves a small 1or 2 games suspension. More so considering that it looks like Clutterback didn't get seriously injured. For a similar hit on Paajarvi, Hartnell got a minor and no suspension.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Thigh contusion for Clutterbuck. Out for tomorrow. Edmonton #oilers X-ray machine was on the fritz, said Yeo

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Quote:
What would you expect a 19 year old rookie, who barely speaks English, to say after getting smashed by a rising "star".

If he said anything else, he would be labeled a cry baby.
So he'd be an Erik Karlsson?

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
theButton

Quote:

Thigh contusion for Clutterbuck. Out for tomorrow. Edmonton #oilers X-ray machine was on the fritz, said Yeo
Apparently their get-us-a-stretcher-technician was out to lunch as well. I mean, if a guy can't skate its probably a safe bet he can't walk either...so maybe have a stretcher somewhere in the vicinity when he gets off the ice?

theButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Quote:

That bruise is gonna be so nasty.(Especially after seeing the one that Ponder got) No doubt in my mind it hurts like heck.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
NugarifiK

According to online sports medicine info I've been looking at since the Russo tweet says most people can return from a quadricep contusion in 4-7 days with proper care. Most of the pain is gone after 48hrs.

NugarifiK is offline   Reply With Quote