HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Bring On the Doppelbock

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  #51
Superstar Shane
Registered User
 
Superstar Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Anyone familiar with Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron? The beer manager at a Giant Eagle (a true expert if ever there was one) recommended it, but when I see Dogfish Head, I think IPA's, which are decidedly not my cup of tea.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:17 PM
  #52
Lamar Latrell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
Anyone familiar with Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron? The beer manager at a Giant Eagle (a true expert if ever there was one) recommended it, but when I see Dogfish Head, I think IPA's, which are decidedly not my cup of tea.
Their IPAs (especially the 60 minute) are their most famous, but they do some really good stuff. I'm not a big Brown Ale guy, but the Palo Santo was really good. I like all their IPAs, especially the Burton Baton.

I also really liked the Raison D'Etre which isn't as highly regarded, but I like most Belgian Dark Ale's, so it doesn't take much to impress me.

Also, try to get your hands on the My Antonia Imperial Pilsner. Totally changed my view on pilsners.

Lamar Latrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:34 PM
  #53
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes
 
Randy Butternubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,655
vCash: 500
I think I'm making Manhattans tonight. Wish me luck.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  #54
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: **** Mountain
Country: United States
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 500
Picked up a case of this Nugget Nectar stuff since it's all you guys ever talk about and the sign at the distributor said "VERY LIMITED TIME!!" Better be good!

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:03 AM
  #55
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
Their IPAs (especially the 60 minute) are their most famous, but they do some really good stuff. I'm not a big Brown Ale guy, but the Palo Santo was really good. I like all their IPAs, especially the Burton Baton.

I also really liked the Raison D'Etre which isn't as highly regarded, but I like most Belgian Dark Ale's, so it doesn't take much to impress me.

Also, try to get your hands on the My Antonia Imperial Pilsner. Totally changed my view on pilsners.
I love their Burton Baton too. Wish it wasn't so freakin' expensive though.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:38 AM
  #56
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Larry Sidor, former brewmaster at Deschutes (and creator of the Abyss, the Dissident, Red Chair etc.) started his own brewery in Bend, OR. It's called Crux and it's awesome. If ever in Bend, do yourself a favor and stop in. I sampled 10 beers and not one was bad or even just 'okay'. The food was pretty decent too.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:46 AM
  #57
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Spent most of the night at Southern Tier, they have a pretty sweet set up for visitors. The place was packed.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:00 PM
  #58
DockEllisExperience
Registered User
 
DockEllisExperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Spent most of the night at Southern Tier, they have a pretty sweet set up for visitors. The place was packed.
I've heard it's very nice there, you head to the game today?

Just got an email from Makers Mark that they're reversing their decision to water down their whiskey, said they had overwhelmingly negative feed back.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
  #59
moose tracks
Registered User
 
moose tracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Just had 4 Red bull Vodka's. Pretty sure I'm having heart palpitations

moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  #60
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
I've heard it's very nice there, you head to the game today?

Just got an email from Makers Mark that they're reversing their decision to water down their whiskey, said they had overwhelmingly negative feed back.
Nice to see a company listening to their customers, but did they expect anything less from the public? If you are selling out of your product, find a way to increase production, don't dilute the product.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
  #61
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: **** Mountain
Country: United States
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Picked up a case of this Nugget Nectar stuff since it's all you guys ever talk about and the sign at the distributor said "VERY LIMITED TIME!!" Better be good!
Okay you guys were right, this is good stuff. A little hoppier than I usually like my beers but still I can appreciate how well done it is.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:09 AM
  #62
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
I've heard it's very nice there, you head to the game today?

Just got an email from Makers Mark that they're reversing their decision to water down their whiskey, said they had overwhelmingly negative feed back.
Yeah, it was a really good time. Much bigger and more organized than most breweries' drinking spots, it was really a full blown bar. Beer was cheap as it should be ($5 12 oz pours of the high abv stuff, plus $3 and $4 pours as well) so I was downing Iniquity and Choklat all night.

We considered going to the game but our babysitter clock was running out at that point. Would have been a good one to go to...

Makers Mark had pretty much committed brand suicide so I'm not surprised. I was a Makers fan and this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the long run it won't affect me too much as there are already several other brands I was wanting to try, and well, bottles generally last me a pretty long time. I don't drink a bottle a week or month, heck usually not even a year as I tend to switch what I'm drinking semi-frequently.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
  #63
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
I got a bottle of Westvletern XII (2010) for free this week. I know a guy at work that has a case of them and he asked me for a favor so I jokingly said "I'll do it right now if you bring me a Westy 12". So yesterday he strolls in and places a bag on my desk and walks away. I was shocked. I am exercising a ******** of self control not to drink it.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:03 AM
  #64
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
I got a bottle of Westvletern XII (2010) for free this week. I know a guy at work that has a case of them and he asked me for a favor so I jokingly said "I'll do it right now if you bring me a Westy 12". So yesterday he strolls in and places a bag on my desk and walks away. I was shocked. I am exercising a ******** of self control not to drink it.
Buy a bottle of St Bernardus Abt 12 to compare side by side.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:26 AM
  #65
DockEllisExperience
Registered User
 
DockEllisExperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Buy a bottle of St Bernardus Abt 12 to compare side by side.
My favorite Belgian beer, so delicious.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  #66
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Westy 12 is so hyped that it almost ruins the beer. Gotta try to not think about it when drinking one.

I actually have been hording one as well, might as well drink it tonight...

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  #67
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
 
ZapRowsdower13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Going on a Brewery Tour tmw, stopping at North Country Brewing and then the Voodoo Brewery. It's gonna be a grand day of drinking.

ZapRowsdower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:27 PM
  #68
D Heinze
Registered User
 
D Heinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers
Country: France
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Spent most of the night at Southern Tier, they have a pretty sweet set up for visitors. The place was packed.
OH man! I love this brewery. They have some great great beers and a really cool little brewpub. Their imperial black stout, harvest ale and (obviously) pumking are all top-notch. I am really trying to be more hop-friendly, as they just aren't my thing. So I didn't really enjoy their Unearthly, but it is supposed to be quite good.
Their staff is really nice. They took me, my girlfriend and her father around in the middle of the day on an unscheduled tour just because we were decent people who were beer-curious.
Luckily my girlfriend's father lives <15 miles away, so I frequent this place during the holiday (beer) season.

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
  #69
D Heinze
Registered User
 
D Heinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers
Country: France
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
My favorite Belgian beer, so delicious.
Mmmmm. I have never met a belge that I didn't want to take home.
Three philosophers is my first love. The beer that really opened my eyes, so I will always have a soft spot.

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  #70
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,299
vCash: 500
The positive of Pittsburgh bars: ridiculously cheap beer.

The negative of Pitsburgh bars: smelling like an ashtray and increasing your risk of lung cancer.


I think it's a bit archaic that bars around here still allow indoor smoking - like.. really? We're in 2013, guys..

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:53 PM
  #71
DockEllisExperience
Registered User
 
DockEllisExperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
The positive of Pittsburgh bars: ridiculously cheap beer.

The negative of Pitsburgh bars: smelling like an ashtray and increasing your risk of lung cancer.


I think it's a bit archaic that bars around here still allow indoor smoking - like.. really? We're in 2013, guys..
What bars are you going to? I can think of a total of three off the top of my head that allow smoking and they're all in SS.

Smoking was outlawed in most bars here, food sales have to be 20% or lower of total sales for cigarettes to be allow. A bar can also get around it by designating themselves as a cigar bar however, think there are a couple other loopholes as well.


Last edited by DockEllisExperience: 02-22-2013 at 03:03 PM.
DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
  #72
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
What bars are you going to? I can think of a total of three off the top of my head that allow smoking and they're all in SS.

Smoking was outlawed in most bars here, food sales have to be 20% or lower of total sales for cigarettes to be allow. A bar can also get around it by designating themselves as a cigar bar however, think there are a couple other loopholes as well.
I was speaking to the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield area mostly - a lot of the bars around there still allow smoking unfortunately.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:09 PM
  #73
DockEllisExperience
Registered User
 
DockEllisExperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I was speaking to the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield area mostly - a lot of the bars around there still allow smoking unfortunately.
Ah, don't get that way too often. I tend to stay in my own area, haha.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
  #74
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Heinze View Post
OH man! I love this brewery. They have some great great beers and a really cool little brewpub. Their imperial black stout, harvest ale and (obviously) pumking are all top-notch. I am really trying to be more hop-friendly, as they just aren't my thing. So I didn't really enjoy their Unearthly, but it is supposed to be quite good.
Their staff is really nice. They took me, my girlfriend and her father around in the middle of the day on an unscheduled tour just because we were decent people who were beer-curious.
Luckily my girlfriend's father lives <15 miles away, so I frequent this place during the holiday (beer) season.
Awesome. I plan to make a trip up there soon. Southern Tier is probably my favorite brewery overall.

2XIPA is in my top 5 favorite IPA's
2XMAS Ale is in top 3 favorite Winter Warmers/Christmas beers
Pumking - favorite pumpkin beer
Creme Brulee Stout - one of my favorite milk stouts
etc, etc.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:06 PM
  #75
D Heinze
Registered User
 
D Heinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers
Country: France
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Awesome. I plan to make a trip up there soon. Southern Tier is probably my favorite brewery overall.

2XIPA is in my top 5 favorite IPA's
2XMAS Ale is in top 3 favorite Winter Warmers/Christmas beers
Pumking - favorite pumpkin beer
Creme Brulee Stout - one of my favorite milk stouts
etc, etc.
How can I forget the Xmas Ale. That along with the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I like their Oat stout. Never tried the Creme Brulee

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.