HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Strome18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
IR4 has a theory that they do read the forums. The whole 'Galenchuk' correction from Howie Rose last night kind of seemed like it.

Howie was butchering Galchenyuk's name all night and then it was corrected with like 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Right after IR4 posted about it on here. Hmmmm.
A dig at Mr. Goring? hmmmm

Old
02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
Does this really mean anything ? He obviously will clear waivers, nobody is that silly to sign him.
So he goes to Bridgeport and sits on that bench instead of this one. Who do we bring up Poulin ?
At the very least it means that the Isles will have a solid backup. At the very least it means they realize that Rick doesn't belong in the NHL.

Yeah he'll go and backup Nilsson, and then he'll probably be bought out or retire. and that's fine by me.

The guy is a warrior, but heart can only take him so far. It's time this chapter of Islanders history closed.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
How the decades have passed with this team and so little accomplished...

All I can do is what I did when I saw this news item; lie my head on the table and think of what could have been...Luongo anchoring goal for ten years with Gaborik/Heatley lighting it up for us, and Chara anchoring the blueline for ten years....the wasted opportunities with this team surmount any other....
Dilbury will always haunt us...

Old
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
A dig at Mr. Goring? hmmmm
Come on, I love Butchie. I would never say anything bad about a Mumpsimus like him.

Quote:
mump·si·mus
[muhmp-suh-muhs] Show IPA
noun, plural mump·si·mus·es for 2.
adherence to or persistence in an erroneous use of language, memorization, practice, belief, etc., out of habit or obstinacy ( opposed to sumpsimus ).
a person who persists in a mistaken expression or practice ( opposed to sumpsimus ).
I think DP would be a welcome addition to the broadcast team in the near future.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
isles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I think alot of us could sense Snow was just itchin to move on and get either Poulin or Nilsson a chance. And doing it via 3-goalie carousel wasn't going to work. Now it's Poulin's turn to take the bull by the horns and really solidify himself as an NHL-goalie. If not, I'm sure Anders Nilsson would love a shot.

As for Rick...what more needs to be said? The odds were stacked against him ever returning to pre-injury form. That contract could've actually worked had Rick not suffered career-threatening injuries and continued to be a 30+ win goalie. But it just didn't work out that way and you've got to feel for the guy. He owes alot to the Isles organization for giving him every opportunity, and then some, to return to form. He's still going to be in Bridgeport, so I don't think we've washed our hands completely of him...but to be honest, I think Rick retires after this season. Maybe he'll be around at training camp, but if Nabby is still here and Poulin plays well...Rick will not make the team. He can play in Bridgeport, but I really think alot of those minutes will go to Nilsson anyway. So, my guess, is that he'll retire and hopefully join the Isles org in some capacity. Just PLEASE no goalie coach!
I think Rick would be crazy to retire, since he would be giving up his contract unless he could prove it was due to injury and collect his insurance. Most likely he waits to be bought out

Dipietro has made and will continue to make millions and his wife is HOT. But that said I still feel for the guy. He was a hard worker who wanted to win and I am sure this is not how he wanted his career to end up.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Come on, I love Butchie. I would never say anything bad about a Mumpsimus like him.

I think DP would be a welcome addition to the broadcast team in the near future.
He will be the highest paid color analyst. Yes, he would be a good addition.

I also hope that fans, next time they have a chance, applaud his efforts to stay relevant outside of the disappointments that followed.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

I've been saying for years that once the depression of no longer being a player wore off, he'd be an excellent color man. He has a great personality, and he loves to talk. He'd be a perfect fit.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho

OMG DIPI IS GONE PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Chardo

Guess Garth and Wang left the gate open.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Katie Strang

#Isles GM Garth Snow on potential buyout of DP: "We haven't given that any consideration at this point."

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...20557609541632
Don't think for a second that Rick got the news of being waived just out of the blue and is shocked to hear it. Rick is very close to both Garth and Charles...and I suspect they met with him before this decision was made. It really makes me think there's ultimately a plan in place. And I suspect it starts with Rick finishing out his season in Bridgeport and "passing the torch" to Poulin...and ends with his retirement this summer. Buyout is just not going to happen...it's too much money to throw around. Rick has a lot of respect for Charles and the organization...I think he'll gladly retire and continue to earn a nice paycheck with the organization in another capacity.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
The Islanders must still pay DiPietro’s salary while he is down in Bridegeport -- he is due $4.5 million annually through 2021 -- and his prorated cap charge (minus $900,000, per the rules of the new collective bargaining agreement) will remain, but this potentially paves the way for the team to buy him out this summer.

Each team is allowed two compliance buyouts -- to be used in the summer of 2013 and 2014 -- by the new collective bargaining agreement, although the team’s immediate plans on the matter are not clear.

A compliance buyout would take off DiPietro’s cap hit and pay him two-thirds spread out for the remaining years of his contract, although it’s possible the team might be more amenable to exercise the old buyout terms on DiPietro, thus keeping his cap charge to count toward the cap floor.

“You would think they will buy him out after this season. If they do, they might not use the transition buyout so that his buyout counts against the floor going forward,” an NHL team executive told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun.
Quote:
Assuming DiPietro reports to Bridgeport and plays -- which he must do to collect the salary that, let’s face it, he is rightfully owed -- the team is taking a significant risk considering his laundry list of injuries throughout his career.

Why?

A team cannot buy out an injured player.

Until Snow divulges his plan for the former first-overall pick, it’s hard to predict what will happen from here -- and with the Islanders, who knows? -- but whichever way this goes, hopefully it can provide closure for the Islanders and DiPietro, the latter of whom has been relegated to the team’s token punch line.

Maybe both the team and the player can finally move on.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-era-for-isles

Old
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Lost Kangaroo

Glad to see this happen. Nobody ever questioned his dedication to the team or his work ethic in attempting to come back, but the cold hard facts are that he is just not an NHL back-up anymore, let alone a starter. Best wishes to him wherever he ends up, as long as its not with the Isles.
For those saying why would he retire and walk away from 4.5 a year, I agree, and the ironic part of this whole thing is he will now be taking home more money because he wont be paying into the NHL escrow while playing in the AHL.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Tavaresfan91

Poulin

Old
02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
I think he'll gladly retire and continue to earn a nice paycheck with the organization in another capacity.
I'm no CBA expert but you think that maybe the NHL might see that as some sort of circumvention?

Also Rick's heavily involved with the players union and has been the rep for a while and was involved in the negotiations on this CBA. The NHLPA is going to strongly advise against walking away from any money due to him, it's bad news for them for any player to walk away from $$.

How can anyone walk away from $40 mil regardless of how many promises he gets that he'd be taken care of? He's made around $30m so far and can more than double it GUARANTEED it's just not smart. I would love it if he did though.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Never thought I would see this day.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek View Post
Hmmm...can you go take another shower and come back with a 1st line wing or maybe a #1 or 2 Dman?
LOL!

Quote:
Quote:

There has to be a buyout coming this summer. After this its the only thing that makes sense. I can't see Ricky staying down there till 2021. Or maybe retirement? Insurance? Who the hell knows.

02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Don't think for a second that Rick got the news of being waived just out of the blue and is shocked to hear it. Rick is very close to both Garth and Charles...and I suspect they met with him before this decision was made. It really makes me think there's ultimately a plan in place. And I suspect it starts with Rick finishing out his season in Bridgeport and "passing the torch" to Poulin...and ends with his retirement this summer. Buyout is just not going to happen...it's too much money to throw around. Rick has a lot of respect for Charles and the organization...I think he'll gladly retire and continue to earn a nice paycheck with the organization in another capacity.
I cant imagine a guy with Rick's pride would want to go down to Bridgeport to end his career, riding around in a bus and staying at 2nd rate hotels

Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
I cant imagine a guy with Rick's pride would want to go down to Bridgeport to end his career, riding around in a bus and staying at 2nd rate hotels
For the couple of million he's making he can afford the hotel room upgrade.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
NjDevsRR

I really feel bad for him. DP is such a good guy, great teammate, and a hard worker. Too bad he just had the worst luck ever.

But good for your franchise. Does this mean Poulin or Neilson comes in? Hopefully Poulin, that other big tower gave us fits last year.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
DiPietro Will Be Forever Defined By An Offer He Couldn’t Refuse

Imagine you play sports professionally and your team’s owner decides to offer you a 15-year contract at a rate that would never put you in a position to worry about anything having to do with money again.

What would you do? Honestly? If you liked the area where the team was located, had no issue with the direction the franchise was heading and felt a sense of loyalty due to the fact that this same organization also decided to make you the first at your position to go No. 1 overall in the draft, would you seriously say no?

What Rick DiPietro did back in September 2006 was probably what any of us would have done. He secured his future. He made sure no one in his family would ever face financial issues again.

And anyone who blames him for that, regardless of how his career turned out, is just a fool.
Very good write up.. Sums up exactly why I've never really hated Rickey just hated the owner for giving him that contract.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...ouldnt-refuse/

Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
lacunacoil777

Ive seen healthy players with years and millions owed to them walk away and retire because they didnt want to play. Dipietro aint no hero he wouldnt do that.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
19 in a row

Wow great move for everyone...

Glad some nice things are being said about Rick and if I ever meet him will thank him for all his efforts.. not his fault he got offered this ridiculous contract, although he did reap the benefits. Yes maybe his style of play led to injuries but that was not his intent. He gave an incredible effort to try and earn that money and play, he bled orange and blue and worked his butt off to get back each time..the body just couldn't keep up with the heart.

not going to dwell on what should have been done when, right now this is a good move for the team, to have a competent backup who hopefully is ready for the NHL while letting rick work out whatever hopes he has in the ahl..hopefully this restores some confidence in the team and energizes them... I will be there on sunday hope we see poulin and I will cheer loudly for him.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
redbull
Expect more

If this happened a little bit earlier, I think Burke would have claimed him right before he was fired, just because.

That would have been a great hockey story

IF IF IF he clears waivers, will he be dominant in the AHL?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Islander Prophet

so to get this straight now...

Let's say he clears waivers and goes in Bridgeport, we still have to pay his salary but it doesn't count against our cap right..??

Old
02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Very good write up.. Sums up exactly why I've never really hated Rickey just hated the owner for giving him that contract.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...ouldnt-refuse/
^ this... i saw one article recently which had the ten things that were wrong with DPs contract, one of the ten was that it has now characterized him as a villain... I don't remember him ever stepping out of line, he just wanted to play and win..I hope when his playing days are done, he has a place in the organization.

Closed Thread