HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
  #376
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I was going to make the same point. Varly faced numerous odd man rushes each game. Holtby on the other hand really only had to make the initial save on chances that were kept to the outside for the most part. The times the puck got in close, bad things happened.
I think we need to ask subject matter expert Brian Elliott's opinion on the matter just to be sure.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
  #377
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Your ignoring the internal cap that obviously exists. So yes, Ribeiro wouldn't be here if they'd re-signed Semin at $7M.

Semin was not the glue that held the team together. He's not the answer to the team's problems.
Yes, I'm ignoring a hypothetical cap that only exists in speculation and rumors. Until there's some concrete evidence as opposed to circumstantial inferences, I will continue to operate under the assumption that this team is willing to spend to the cap, as history suggests they are willing to do. Ted, as imperfect as he is, has been willing to spend.

I'm not arguing that Semin was the glue that held the team together. I'm simply stating this team looks a hell of a lot better with him on it. This team desperately needs another winger who can create offense with the puck on his stick.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
  #378
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes, I'm ignoring a hypothetical cap that only exists in speculation and rumors. Until there's some concrete evidence as opposed to circumstantial inferences, I will continue to operate under the assumption that this team is willing to spend to the cap, as history suggests they are willing to do. Ted, as imperfect as he is, has been willing to spend.

I'm not arguing that Semin was the glue that held the team together. I'm simply stating this team looks a hell of a lot better with him on it. This team desperately needs another winger who can create offense with the puck on his stick.
I think the pursuit of Wolski, Hillen, and Fehr is a pretty darn good indication that they weren't willing to spend in the FA market.

And that's two consecutive years they haven't spent to the Cap. Not coincidentally, it's also the two offseasons since Ted bought the Wizards

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
  #379
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,528
vCash: 500
With Wolski and Chimera struggling, and Johansson apparently hurt, I see no reason not to grab Mursak off of waivers and give him a shot. Can't do any worse than what we're rolling with currently. Place MoJo on IR to clear a roster spot. See how he does until Laich or Johansson are ready to go.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
  #380
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think the pursuit of Wolski, Hillen, and Fehr is a pretty darn good indication that they weren't willing to spend in the FA market.

And that's two consecutive years they haven't spent to the Cap. Not coincidentally, it's also the two offseasons since Ted bought the Wizards
Circumstantial. And they spent to the cap last season. It was Poti's LTIR that kept them legal.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  #381
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Losing Semin was dumb.. but at this point, I can't even muster being upset about it any more, the team construction is just f-ed up all around. This has got to be one of the most spectacular examples in recent memory of a team going from up-and-coming contender to a giant mess.

There has to be a vision of what kind of a team is needed to win the Cup, from playing style to personnel. And then of course the guts to change things if they don't stand up to that vision. Until that happens, there's just gonna be stumbling in the dark.

artilector is online now  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
  #382
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Circumstantial. And they spent to the cap last season. It was Poti's LTIR that kept them legal.
Of course it's circumstantial. They're not going to come out and say they have an internal cap as they raise ticket prices. But it's also logical.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
  #383
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Varlamov's run was clearly more impressive than Holtby's.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  #384
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Does that take into account the quality of shots teams were able to get against us in BBhockey vs Hunterhockey?
No but my data earlier was for the entire playoff season. Just looking at Varlamov's numbers against the Pens and Holtby's against the Rangers the Holtby's GAA goes down to a 1.90 with a .929 save % while Varlamov's GAA balloons to 3.74 with a .898 save percentage.

Of course Varlamov faced some tougher chances but he also had the luxury of playing behind a team that actually tried to and succeeded in scoring goals, witness Fleury's 3.01 GAA and .878 save percentage in the same series.

I'll take a series where the play of my team actually matters compared to a coin flip any time. If you prefer coin flips then have at it...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
  #385
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
No but my data earlier was for the entire playoff season. Just looking at Varlamov's numbers against the Pens and Holtby's against the Rangers the Holtby's GAA goes down to a 1.90 with a .929 save % while Varlamov's GAA balloons to 3.74 with a .898 save percentage.

Of course Varlamov faced some tougher chances but he also had the luxury of playing behind a team that actually tried to and succeeded in scoring goals, witness Fleury's 3.01 GAA and .878 save percentage in the same series.

I'll take a series where the play of my team actually matters compared to a coin flip any time. If you prefer coin flips then have at it...
how did that game 7 go with varly again

Ovechkins Wodka is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
  #386
Maryland17
Registered User
 
Maryland17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Of course it's circumstantial. They're not going to come out and say they have an internal cap as they raise ticket prices. But it's also logical.
Is it logical to think they were planning on going with what they had this year minus Semin, adding a few crap pieces like Wolski, Hillen, Fehr and roll the dice. Worst case, they do what they are doing now, and get a top-5 pick.

Knowing that the lockout would occur and the cap would lower after this year, other teams paid for FAs for this year, and therefore they are cap-strapped next year, whereas we could be more flexible. Hammer, Poti, Erskine, off the books. We would just have to re-up Hendricks, Alzner, Kundratek, Mojo, and GKs. We could probably get Ribs if he wants to come back(if or if we don't trade him at the TDL) for 3 years, $14-16 million. This would still give us a chance to sign a top 6 wing after the 2012-13 season and bring over Forsberg if he is deemed ready.

Maryland17 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  #387
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
how did that game 7 go with varly again
It ended in an L just like game 7 with Holtby and every other final playoff game the Caps have ever played in...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:00 AM
  #388
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,666
vCash: 500
They all haven't ended in horrible embarrassing blowouts....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:08 AM
  #389
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001
 
Dr John Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 50
I still can't believe some people think Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's.

Dr John Carlson is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:19 AM
  #390
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,573
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I still can't believe some people think Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's.
Too much Kool Aid. Somehow Holtby beat out Forsberg in the prospect polls too.

SimplySensational is online now  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 AM
  #391
fashi13
Registered User
 
fashi13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Losing Semin was dumb.. but at this point, I can't even muster being upset about it any more, the team construction is just f-ed up all around. This has got to be one of the most spectacular examples in recent memory of a team going from up-and-coming contender to a giant mess.

There has to be a vision of what kind of a team is needed to win the Cup, from playing style to personnel. And then of course the guts to change things if they don't stand up to that vision. Until that happens, there's just gonna be stumbling in the dark.
So true, reminds me a bit of when the bruins had a younger, promissing team with thornton, samsonov, bergeron, knuble, murray and they just sort of imploded and dissolved.

fashi13 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
  #392
CrashTheNet9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Does Mursak still have injury issues? I wouldn't mind having him on the team over Chimera, Wolski, or Crabb.

CrashTheNet9 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 AM
  #393
442
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Anyone bothered to look at the FA class for next year?

442 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
  #394
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Anyone bothered to look at the FA class for next year?
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

Ovechkins Wodka is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
  #395
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Does Mursak still have injury issues? I wouldn't mind having him on the team over Chimera, Wolski, or Crabb.
Just came back from shoulder injury. Avoided contact a little but otherwise seemed fine.

So I think he is, would still be on IR if he wasn't.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:08 PM
  #396
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I still can't believe some people think Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's.
I'm not saying Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's. I am saying I preferred the way the Caps took the Pens to 7 games in round 2 in '09 to how they took the Rangers to game 7 in round 2 last year.

I'll take the best player in the game being the best player on the ice and a strong goaltending performance over coin flips any day...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
  #397
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Anyone bothered to look at the FA class for next year?
It'll change too much by July 1 to make any projections at this point. It's not like the Caps will have much space anyway.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 PM
  #398
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It'll change too much by July 1 to make any projections at this point. It's not like the Caps will have much space anyway.
Yeah but is anyone who is likely to spend it going to have all that much cap room? Worst time ever to be a UFA IMO...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
  #399
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah but is anyone who is likely to spend it going to have all that much cap room? Worst time ever to be a UFA IMO...
Perfect storm for Ribeiro to re-sign here.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
  #400
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah but is anyone who is likely to spend it going to have all that much cap room? Worst time ever to be a UFA IMO...
Amnesty buyouts could throw everything into chaos. Should be moderately entertaining.

brs03 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.