HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I was going to make the same point. Varly faced numerous odd man rushes each game. Holtby on the other hand really only had to make the initial save on chances that were kept to the outside for the most part. The times the puck got in close, bad things happened.
I think we need to ask subject matter expert Brian Elliott's opinion on the matter just to be sure.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Your ignoring the internal cap that obviously exists. So yes, Ribeiro wouldn't be here if they'd re-signed Semin at $7M.

Semin was not the glue that held the team together. He's not the answer to the team's problems.
Yes, I'm ignoring a hypothetical cap that only exists in speculation and rumors. Until there's some concrete evidence as opposed to circumstantial inferences, I will continue to operate under the assumption that this team is willing to spend to the cap, as history suggests they are willing to do. Ted, as imperfect as he is, has been willing to spend.

I'm not arguing that Semin was the glue that held the team together. I'm simply stating this team looks a hell of a lot better with him on it. This team desperately needs another winger who can create offense with the puck on his stick.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes, I'm ignoring a hypothetical cap that only exists in speculation and rumors. Until there's some concrete evidence as opposed to circumstantial inferences, I will continue to operate under the assumption that this team is willing to spend to the cap, as history suggests they are willing to do. Ted, as imperfect as he is, has been willing to spend.

I'm not arguing that Semin was the glue that held the team together. I'm simply stating this team looks a hell of a lot better with him on it. This team desperately needs another winger who can create offense with the puck on his stick.
I think the pursuit of Wolski, Hillen, and Fehr is a pretty darn good indication that they weren't willing to spend in the FA market.

And that's two consecutive years they haven't spent to the Cap. Not coincidentally, it's also the two offseasons since Ted bought the Wizards

Old
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

With Wolski and Chimera struggling, and Johansson apparently hurt, I see no reason not to grab Mursak off of waivers and give him a shot. Can't do any worse than what we're rolling with currently. Place MoJo on IR to clear a roster spot. See how he does until Laich or Johansson are ready to go.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
I think the pursuit of Wolski, Hillen, and Fehr is a pretty darn good indication that they weren't willing to spend in the FA market.

And that's two consecutive years they haven't spent to the Cap. Not coincidentally, it's also the two offseasons since Ted bought the Wizards
Circumstantial. And they spent to the cap last season. It was Poti's LTIR that kept them legal.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
artilector

Losing Semin was dumb.. but at this point, I can't even muster being upset about it any more, the team construction is just f-ed up all around. This has got to be one of the most spectacular examples in recent memory of a team going from up-and-coming contender to a giant mess.

There has to be a vision of what kind of a team is needed to win the Cup, from playing style to personnel. And then of course the guts to change things if they don't stand up to that vision. Until that happens, there's just gonna be stumbling in the dark.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Circumstantial. And they spent to the cap last season. It was Poti's LTIR that kept them legal.
Of course it's circumstantial. They're not going to come out and say they have an internal cap as they raise ticket prices. But it's also logical.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Varlamov's run was clearly more impressive than Holtby's.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Does that take into account the quality of shots teams were able to get against us in BBhockey vs Hunterhockey?
No but my data earlier was for the entire playoff season. Just looking at Varlamov's numbers against the Pens and Holtby's against the Rangers the Holtby's GAA goes down to a 1.90 with a .929 save % while Varlamov's GAA balloons to 3.74 with a .898 save percentage.

Of course Varlamov faced some tougher chances but he also had the luxury of playing behind a team that actually tried to and succeeded in scoring goals, witness Fleury's 3.01 GAA and .878 save percentage in the same series.

I'll take a series where the play of my team actually matters compared to a coin flip any time. If you prefer coin flips then have at it...

Old
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
No but my data earlier was for the entire playoff season. Just looking at Varlamov's numbers against the Pens and Holtby's against the Rangers the Holtby's GAA goes down to a 1.90 with a .929 save % while Varlamov's GAA balloons to 3.74 with a .898 save percentage.

Of course Varlamov faced some tougher chances but he also had the luxury of playing behind a team that actually tried to and succeeded in scoring goals, witness Fleury's 3.01 GAA and .878 save percentage in the same series.

I'll take a series where the play of my team actually matters compared to a coin flip any time. If you prefer coin flips then have at it...
how did that game 7 go with varly again

Old
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Maryland17

Quote:
Of course it's circumstantial. They're not going to come out and say they have an internal cap as they raise ticket prices. But it's also logical.
Is it logical to think they were planning on going with what they had this year minus Semin, adding a few crap pieces like Wolski, Hillen, Fehr and roll the dice. Worst case, they do what they are doing now, and get a top-5 pick.

Knowing that the lockout would occur and the cap would lower after this year, other teams paid for FAs for this year, and therefore they are cap-strapped next year, whereas we could be more flexible. Hammer, Poti, Erskine, off the books. We would just have to re-up Hendricks, Alzner, Kundratek, Mojo, and GKs. We could probably get Ribs if he wants to come back(if or if we don't trade him at the TDL) for 3 years, $14-16 million. This would still give us a chance to sign a top 6 wing after the 2012-13 season and bring over Forsberg if he is deemed ready.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
how did that game 7 go with varly again
It ended in an L just like game 7 with Holtby and every other final playoff game the Caps have ever played in...

Old
02-23-2013, 01:00 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

They all haven't ended in horrible embarrassing blowouts....

Old
02-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
I still can't believe some people think Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:19 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I still can't believe some people think Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's.
Too much Kool Aid. Somehow Holtby beat out Forsberg in the prospect polls too.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 AM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Losing Semin was dumb.. but at this point, I can't even muster being upset about it any more, the team construction is just f-ed up all around. This has got to be one of the most spectacular examples in recent memory of a team going from up-and-coming contender to a giant mess.

There has to be a vision of what kind of a team is needed to win the Cup, from playing style to personnel. And then of course the guts to change things if they don't stand up to that vision. Until that happens, there's just gonna be stumbling in the dark.
So true, reminds me a bit of when the bruins had a younger, promissing team with thornton, samsonov, bergeron, knuble, murray and they just sort of imploded and dissolved.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
CrashTheNet9

Does Mursak still have injury issues? I wouldn't mind having him on the team over Chimera, Wolski, or Crabb.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Anyone bothered to look at the FA class for next year?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

Old
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Does Mursak still have injury issues? I wouldn't mind having him on the team over Chimera, Wolski, or Crabb.
Just came back from shoulder injury. Avoided contact a little but otherwise seemed fine.

So I think he is, would still be on IR if he wasn't.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I'm not saying Holtby's run was better than Varlamov's. I am saying I preferred the way the Caps took the Pens to 7 games in round 2 in '09 to how they took the Rangers to game 7 in round 2 last year.

I'll take the best player in the game being the best player on the ice and a strong goaltending performance over coin flips any day...

Old
02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
It'll change too much by July 1 to make any projections at this point. It's not like the Caps will have much space anyway.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
It'll change too much by July 1 to make any projections at this point. It's not like the Caps will have much space anyway.
Yeah but is anyone who is likely to spend it going to have all that much cap room? Worst time ever to be a UFA IMO...

Old
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Yeah but is anyone who is likely to spend it going to have all that much cap room? Worst time ever to be a UFA IMO...
Perfect storm for Ribeiro to re-sign here.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Amnesty buyouts could throw everything into chaos. Should be moderately entertaining.

Closed Thread