HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
The Pens have more than enough cap space to acquire almost anyone. PMB will not break the bank and he has a much better shot at being a top 6 option than TK.
Joe Vitale is a better top six option than MBP. Saying PMB > MBP for the top six is like saying a jet that loses one engine is in better shape than a jet that loses two engines.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Joe Vitale is a better top six option than MBP. Saying PMB > MBP for the top six is like saying a jet that loses one engine is in better shape than a jet that loses two engines.
So what's you issue with PMB for TK?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Saints11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kulemin+Gardiner would be Toronto's best package.

Zibanejad/Silfverberg+ would be Ottawa's.

Despres+A prospect would be our's.

Which would you choose if you're the Avs.
I really doubt that either Toronto or Ottawa would give up thos guys for ROR. Shero might.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
So what's you issue with PMB for TK?
Who does he play with? Can't be Geno and Neal. Are you telling me you're set going into the playoffs with Kunitz-Sid-PMB, because that's what you're saying if you want him. IMO, he should be plan F or G, right there a few letters after with Clarke MacArthur

Old
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
I really doubt that either Toronto or Ottawa would give up thos guys for ROR. Shero might.
No, they wouldn't. If they would, then I'd jump at one of those deals if I were the Avs.

Since they won't, I think the Pens are most likely to actually offer the best possible return if they were bidding.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I honestly think Garrioch is worse than Eklund.
only worse because Sportsnet (Canadian broadcast company) gives him credibility.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
No, they wouldn't. If they would, then I'd jump at one of those deals if I were the Avs.

Since they won't, I think the Pens are most likely to actually offer the best possible return if they were bidding.
I think we have the advantage of being able to move multiple high end D assets and not be any worse off in the next few years.

We bring in a vet 4/5 D, we can move Despres. With last year's draft, we can afford to move one of Maatta/Harrington with Dumoulin in the fold.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Saints11

Still do not seen the need or desire for any of the proposed names from Minny. No interest in Cullen, Seto, or PMB. There are others out there who fit our needs and lineup better. Be really disappointed if we had a shot at a David Jones and settled for Matt Cullen just as a vet presence.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
only worse because Sportsnet (Canadian broadcast company) gives him credibility.
Haha maybe. All I know is there's been rare times (like a beacon in the sky) where everyone more or less agreed Eklund nailed a trade or signing. Garrioch seems to ALways report something you heard random, minute ramblings about a couple days before.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Sorry if this has been discussed xx times, but would you consider trading Sutter+ for ROR?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed xx times, but would you consider trading Sutter+ for ROR?
They don't want a center in return. Offensive D-man and/or contributing scoring winger.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Suppose we could but not sure how it makes us a better team. If ROR can in fact play wing effectively (something that seems to be in dispute as to how good at it he really is), that would make us better but ideally without having to trade Sutter to get him. I don't think there's any reason for us to do it, in short. Not necessary and even if it were, doesn't make us an appreciably better team.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Still do not seen the need or desire for any of the proposed names from Minny. No interest in Cullen, Seto, or PMB. There are others out there who fit our needs and lineup better. Be really disappointed if we had a shot at a David Jones and settled for Matt Cullen just as a vet presence.
I wouldnt. David Jones seemed like a decent option last year when he was an expiring contract. He would have been good to try out until seasons end and see how he fit in. Now at 3 more years of 4M Im not so sure.

Why would the Avs want to unload him after they just signed him?

Better yet, they were not pleased with him at multiple points last year, he was scratched for a couple games, then they still resigned him for decent money. Why?

Its a really strange situation

Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
**** no.

Sutter isn't Staal, but then again, oftentimes Staal wasn't Staal either. Sutter's got 4 goals and 3 assists, which is pretty much on par with what you'd expect from a prototypical 3rd line checker. While he hasn't exactly blown me away, I suspect part of that is who he's playing with.

After reading that letter ROR's dad sent to the denverpost, I want no part of him and his entourage. That family seems ****ing nuts.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Haha maybe. All I know is there's been rare times (like a beacon in the sky) where everyone more or less agreed Eklund nailed a trade or signing. Garrioch seems to ALways report something you heard random, minute ramblings about a couple days before.
Sorry, as I re-read that, I realized it sounded more dickish than intended...

Yes, "Boo Boo" Garrioch (how they refer to him up here) is just as bad as Eklund with his 'throw **** against the wall until something sticks" mentality.

I just meant the fact that he gets a bump in credibility - from Sportsnet and being a newspaper guy - does actually make him worse.

And he's annoying and smarmy when you hear him talk.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
WhatsaMaatta

What's the fascination with Pierre-Marc Bouchard? The guy's injured all the time.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
What's the fascination with Pierre-Marc Bouchard? The guy's injured all the time.
he has talent and he'd be cheap

Old
02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
mpp9

I'd put the odds at PMB lasting an entire playoff series against the Bruins or Flyers at near zero.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
plus he's a pending UFA. PMB is the perfect back-burner option. we all hope for more, but if the market dries up by the time the TDL rolls around, he's better than Kovalev for a 7th (which Shero doesn't actually have this year).

Old
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
plus he's a pending UFA. PMB is the perfect back-burner option. we all hope for more, but if the market dries up by the time the TDL rolls around, he's better than Kovalev for a 7th (which Shero doesn't actually have this year).
What? Shero has 2 7th's

Old
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
He can't use his talent if he's not on the ice- which is a highly likely scenario. There's high risk and little reward. We'd be better served giving Bennett time in the top 6 than giving up assets for someone who might not even play for us. It's just not a smart idea.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Epic Neal Time

I don't get the David Jones love. Not at that price.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
WhatsaMaatta

PMB is like lending the 10000 loan whose collateral is an old beat up pick up truck. You just know you're going to end up with the pick up truck.

Last edited by WhatsaMaatta: 02-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Funk311

Especially after the flyers game, we need to add size and grit to this team.

The book on the penguins is to play physical and beat them up. The majority of our players do not do well in that type of game. Sad part is, it is a very true story.

PMB...Hell no. Do we want to have the softest smallest offense in the league?

Side note: are there any forwards in WBS who play a game similar to bortuzzo who could be added to the 3rd or 4th line? (thanks in advance).

Old
02-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
What? Shero has 2 7th's
thought i was saying he has no 7th's. didn't he use it on Tomáš? but absent guys like PMB, Shero might otherwise be tempted to make the same type of Kovy for a 7th deal he did a few years ago.

Closed Thread