HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Hall Suspension - 2 games

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Meh, they should let him of with a fine. I know this will seem like a homer but it just wasn't that bad. I honestly think Clutterbuck was faking. the hit was on the thigh, not the knee. If you look at it when contact was actually made Hall lead with his shoulder and his leg was straight. it was thigh on thigh when the hit happened.
I don't think he faked it. Why, when Hall was already being kicked out?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Meh, they should let him of with a fine. I know this will seem like a homer but it just wasn't that bad. I honestly think Clutterbuck was faking. the hit was on the thigh, not the knee. If you look at it when contact was actually made Hall lead with his shoulder and his leg was straight. it was thigh on thigh when the hit happened.
Suspension is fine. It was a failed hip check imo. Considering the hit and listening to Hall's comments is all well and good, but the fact is that no matter what he intended to do he came in with his knee first (the hip was a close second though). There is no disputing that.

I have no problem with this hit, I think we need to show "mean-ness" from time to time but I don't think we should be scared to face the music afterwards. Fine, 1-2, max 3 games, just remember to keep your head up when playing in rexall... (oh, we're not there yet but maybe maybe this is a start).

It's hockey, nothing more, nothing less... Bad hits happen all the time, both sides just have to live with it.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
At least he is showing he is pissed. Guys like Clutterbuck get their due. I thought Hall was Messieresque on that play. We need that sometimes. Not happy he was injured at all, but glad to see some nasty.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

2 games, and it's deserved.

Too reckless to be completely overlooked. That kind of hit can destroy a career.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Delorean

Anyone remember the Hartnell on Paajarvi hit? He got a minor and no suspension for it. Paajarvi's fall wasn't as dramatic as Clutterbuck's but it was a similar hit and it was well after he got rid of the puck. Zero games and a fine or 1 game suspension at most is my guess:

Old
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I would give Hall one game for being reckless, since we see hits like this all the time not even being called.

I'm afraid the league is going to see an opportunity to send a message, because its a young star player BUT conveniently on a crappy team.

I'm honestly expecting 5 games. Which should be appealed.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
my guess is five
for first time offense seems too harsh.
Fine/1or 2

Old
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
The Moose

He'll get 1 or 2 games, and he deserves it.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I don't think he faked it. Why, when Hall was already being kicked out?
Because he is Cal Clutterbuck and he does **** like that.

I am not saying he was faking it, I just wouldn't put it past him. I think dramatized it, my guess is he basically got a Charlie horse, could have got up and limped of, but decided to make it look bad. IF you look at the hit Hall really straightened up, it was hip on hip and hall with drew his knee.

Again, most will call me a homer, but that is just what I see. It just wasn't that bad.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Cam98

hit wasn't intentional, but reckless. i see 1 gm suspension only.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
Anyone remember the Hartnell on Paajarvi hit? He got a minor and no suspension for it. Paajarvi's fall wasn't as dramatic as Clutterbuck's but it was a similar hit and it was well after he got rid of the puck. Zero games and a fine or 1 game suspension at most is my guess:

That hit was almost identical but even worse. I say identical because Hartnell let up, he clearly led with his knee but withdrew and tried to hit with his shoulder. I say worse because he actually cought less of MPV with his hip than Hall did. If you look at the Hall hit almost all contact was actually with Halls hip, not knee.

any way, if Hartnell gets nothing for that, Hall shouldn't get a thing. Any time a player has to turn to hit some one you will see his knee out. If the knee is withdrawn when the hit occurs it is fine. it is whether or not the player follows through with the knee. like Marchment use to do. Hall didn't do that. To me, end of story, no suspension.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
hit wasn't intentional, but reckless. i see 1 gm suspension only.
that's what I think, too. hope you're right.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
bone

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Gotta appreciate these Wild fans coming to our board to explain the rules of hockey to us and give us their unbiased opinion.
For the most part, they aren't being that bad here. They are understandably a little upset over it, as we would. The Flames/Canucks fans however, are having a field day over at TSN over this and blowing it way out of proportion. Concensus with them is at least 10 games. Someone actually claimed that it is the dirtiest hit they have ever seen in hockey.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 507
Quote:
Because he is Cal Clutterbuck and he does **** like that.

I am not saying he was faking it, I just wouldn't put it past him. I think dramatized it, my guess is he basically got a Charlie horse, could have got up and limped of, but decided to make it look bad. IF you look at the hit Hall really straightened up, it was hip on hip and hall with drew his knee.

Again, most will call me a homer, but that is just what I see. It just wasn't that bad.
I don't think he was faking it, or even overselling it. I think he was in a lot of pain and was in that mode where you're hesitant to move because of the pain and you're not sure exactly what's wrong.
but I like Clutterbuck, so maybe i'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt because of it.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:04 PM
DANOZ28

i hope you'll find this an unbiased opinion, tsn retired ref kerry fraser. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416585

Old
02-22-2013, 02:09 PM
GreatKeith

Zero.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
i hope you'll find this an unbiased opinion, tsn retired ref kerry fraser. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416585
It wasn't a knee on knee hit however...it was a hip to upper thigh hit which resulted in Clutterschnitzel getting a bruised upper thigh - text book charlie horse.

He calls it a textbook knee on knee, but it wasn't at all.

Just a FYI, you might want to stick to your own board if your looking for sympathy..especially being a "huge Clutterbuck fan".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
im a huge clutterbuck fan so i dont want to see him go, but if i was trading him i would ask for 2- 2nds & an experienced puck moving D-man. cheers!
Just saying...You'd be lucky to find a single poster on this board who thinks highly of Clutterbuck in any regard at all. I don't ever wish players getting injured, but you have to wonder if Karma played a role here somewhat.

Last edited by Booya42: 02-22-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Horseradish

WTF? I am usually quite harsh on NHLers with careless hits and, before I saw the hit, I suspected that I'd be suggesting Hall should get more games than most other people would be suggesting.

But after seeing the hit, I see no intent to injure, I see no attempt to hit with his knee, all I see is Hall attempting a BIG open ice hip check, Clutterbuck with his head down COMPLETELY, and Hall SLIGHTLY missing on the hit. If he'd connected perfectly, it would've been a HUGE open ice hip check like MAB's on Morrow back in the early 00s...perfectly clean.

Because he didn't catch him perfectly cleanly, and Clutterbuck likely having some kind of hip flexor/bone spur injury, I suspect that the NHL will probably give him 1 game, but if it's more than that, it's for reasons other than the cleanliness of the hit (I'm not going to speculate on what).

I REALLY strongly feel that Hall didn't do anything wrong except slightly miss on an otherwise clean hit. He didn't leave his feet, he didn't go for the head, and it didn't look like he was aiming to injure. He was simply trying to smoke a notoriously vicious hitter with his head down after a very frustrating game. If the NHL starts punishing players for slightly missing on their intended targets, it won't be long before clean hits start getting punished simply because players are injured on them. And that's not something I want to see. I don't want to see players get hurt either, don't get me wrong, but it makes the game that much more competitive when players have to adjust their games in order to avoid getting hurt by hits. Every young player has to do it, and a guy like Clutterbuck who dishes out a world of pain on his own, definitely needs to learn to do it.

1 game, a fine, or NOTHING, is what this hit warrants. Anything more is an embarrassment.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
I don't think he deserves a suspension.

And if the positions were reversed, I'd say the same exact thing.

The player was injured? Yes. And he got a penalty that reflected that.

Unless we are going to institute some new rule wherein the injurer sits as long as the injured is on the IR, then I don't think this warrants a suspension.

But, it was a reckless play. I'm not going to ***** and whine if he's suspended and/or fined.

We'll see what Shanahan says.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
GreatKeith

@Russostrib Thigh contusion for Clutterbuck. Out for tomorrow.

You'd think with how long he stayed down it was an ACL.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Happy it was nothing that serious.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:

Yeah, good news that Clutterbuck isn't seriously hurt.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Yep...classic knee on knee alright. This will only help Hall's case hopefully.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
bone

vCash: 705
Quote:

So it's a bruise, which could just as easily come from blocking a puck. I can't imagine Canucks fans and Flames fans getting their wishes for a lengthy suspension. I'll be surprised at anything more than a game now that the injury verdict is in.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 0
How many games ?

I'd say

Closed Thread