HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR The Big Man

Old
02-22-2013, 05:43 AM
mattehaus

vCash: 500
I am really loving JVR, when I lift my self imposed boycott of NHL merchandise (everything but GCL) I am seriously considering a #21 hoodie.

I also don't get the Tomas Holmström comparison, #96 was a crease beast, who used his body well to screen and had perfected the tip in into an art form, JVR has shown a willingness to do to his net, but gets his goals more from direct passes or rebounds and in my opinion is a better skater who should develop (he's 23) into a more rounded player, as proved against the Pens he is capable of sniping a few goals too, Kessell style.

I like this thread it is genuinely nice to be excited about a player and the team in general, people are talking about the East being weak but you can only beat the teams put in front of you and I don't think anyone can argue the team is going in the right direction, has depth and can beat pretty much anyone on it's day. I think in a more rounded way JVR has the makings of a superstar but is not there yet, he is certainly becoming a key member of the Leafs.

I can't wait to see what happens with JVR with Frattin and Lupul back in the line up.

mattehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:50 AM
BillDerlago
They did it Naylor

I don't see any similarities between Holmstrom and JVR. JVR is big, fast and has a great shot. I didn't even realize how fast he was until I saw him rush the puck at one point last night. Holmstrom was great at what he did but JVR has much more natural talent.

BillDerlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:08 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
Holmstrom was a beast infront of the net, watching JVR i see the same thing. Am i dumb for pointing it out ? or are you dumb for not noticing ?
Holmstrom was better in front of the net. JVR is a much better skater, bigger but not that physical for a big man.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Kadri43*

Did anyone else notice that JVR is reluctant to one time the puck? The huge Miller save could have been thwarted had he one timed that pass. Also, on the goal he scored from Franson he could have one timed it.
He has been fantastic this season. Howevever, I think most of his success can be attributed to Kessel.

Kadri43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 855
I'm glad I grabbed him in my pool.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:44 AM
pspot

he showed flashed with Philly and great to see him doing it again with the Leafs hopefully he can keep it up. definitely has the size and talent and seems to know and accept what he needs to do to be succesful

I wouldn't mind seeing him and Kessel split up.
I think JVR is doing this regardless of Kessel and Kessel doesn't seem to be benefiting much.

when healthy
Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Kadri/Frattin
Mac/Grabo/Kulemin
Komarov/McClement/Brown

That's 4 lines that can play
Komarov definitely deserves time on a higher line but i'd see if that 2nd line could work and then look to move one of or multiple of Mac/Grabo/Kulemin

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:50 AM
ACC1224
Hate the Patriots

This kid is much better than I thought, very impressed. I always wondered why he went so high in the draft, now I know.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I actually see more of a Dave Andreychuk style of player. Big skill guy that can score in tight in front of the net.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Ari91

Does anyone know what JVR's playing style was in Philly? Did he score most of his goals crashing the net or was he scoring more pretty goals?

I know Carlyle had a one on one with him and told him that going to the net and using his size was how he was going to find success. I'm just wondering if that was something that JVR lost touch with after his injury in Philly (and Carlyle was just reminding him)or if it's a new role that Carlyle believed he was a perfect fit for and needed him to buy into.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:58 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Does anyone know what JVR's playing style was in Philly? Did he score most of his goals crashing the net or was he scoring more pretty goals?

I know Carlyle had a one on one with him and told him that going to the net and using his size was how he was going to find success. I'm just wondering if that was something that JVR lost touch with after his injury in Philly (and Carlyle was just reminding him)or if it's a new role that Carlyle believed he was a perfect fit for and needed him to buy into.
there is a video of him by a flyers fan of every point he had last year
for me his playmaking ability really stood out and his positioning much like this year was great and how he got a lot of goals
he follows the play really well

and not to bash on Schenn but a guy like that you can replace with Fraser pretty easily.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:59 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Dude's been great and what a SOLID contract

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:36 AM
inthe6ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Did anyone else notice that JVR is reluctant to one time the puck? The huge Miller save could have been thwarted had he one timed that pass. Also, on the goal he scored from Franson he could have one timed it.
He has been fantastic this season. Howevever, I think most of his success can be attributed to Kessel.
I noticed this too on the first 5-on-3 rob by Miller - he should have one-timed it, and it would have gone in for sure, but some guys need to stop it first - not sure why, thought it was because he needed that extra time to roof it, but when he scored on the second attempt, he did the same thing; and it stayed low - if Miller was in position, he would have robbed him again.

I think Andreychuck used to do this too, but he had crazy hands and could roof a backhand in a phone booth.

inthe6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Sypher04

JVR has a great release and shot. The fact that he has 11 goals in 18 games without us barely even seeing it is a huge positive. When he gets that part of his game going, he's going to be even more effective.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I actually see more of a Dave Andreychuk style of player. Big skill guy that can score in tight in front of the net.
Ahh you beat me to it.

Definitely Andreychuk-like. Same size, maybe a bit more skilled but with a little less grit.

dubplatepressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
rwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing him and Kessel split up.
I think JVR is doing this regardless of Kessel and Kessel doesn't seem to be benefiting much.
Why would you split up the guy who is 3rd in the NHL in goals from the guy who has set up almost every one of them? I hate to say it, but Kessel is clearly showing he makes his linemates better.

And the only spot Kessel isn't benefiting from him on his line is in the goal scoring department because JVR doesn't seem to be entirely capable of setting Phil up.

rwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Kadri43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Why would you split up the guy who is 3rd in the NHL in goals from the guy who has set up almost every one of them? I hate to say it, but Kessel is clearly showing he makes his linemates better.

And the only spot Kessel isn't benefiting from him on his line is in the goal scoring department because JVR doesn't seem to be entirely capable of setting Phil up.
This

Kadri43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
shaner89

Highway robbery. Hes amazing and exactly what this team has been missing

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
ForSpareParts*

JvR for Schenn is going to put to shame Lupul/Gardiner for Beauchemin.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Riellyfan04

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
Can we stop making these comparisons to other players? It is insulting enough to compare Kadri to Doug Gilmour.
Thank you!!!! We have so many delusional fans on here, makes the rest look so bad.... like come on, lets stop with these already....

Riellyfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I see JVR more as a 25/25 guy, maybe 30/30 guy. So far he's looking like the closest thing to Rick Nash in the NHL right now.

Bernier the Boats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
MastuhNinks

I know Lupul/Kessel was one of the league's top duos last year, but the more I see JVR/Kessel together the more I think JVR's skillset is a better compliment to Kessel. Plus having a finisher like Lupul playing with Kadri wouldn't be a bad thing.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Duffman955

Holsmtrom was a master of tip ins and was a rock in front of the net.

JVR uses his speed and size to create opportunities off the rush and excels at shooting.

I don't see much similarities. I think JVR is more comparable to Nash

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Bill Derlago

I must respectfully disagree when JVR is being compared to Dave Andreychuk. Andreychuk skated like a rock across the floor of California's Death Valley, and last night JVR was literally skating circles around the Sabres.

If you must find a comparison to JVR, I like the Rick Nash comparison.

Bill Derlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Thank you!!!! We have so many delusional fans on here, makes the rest look so bad.... like come on, lets stop with these already....
And we have too many anal fans ! A comparison can give a general idea of the style of a player without saying they are exactly the same player. Malkin is often compared to Lemieux, he is not quite that good but has many of the same elements in his game. No harm in using that comparison than using a dozen adjectives to get the same idea across.

BlueBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
NigelTufnel

Don't like the Holmstrom comparison, Holmstrom had much more limited skill but made himself into a very useful player by learning to camp out in front of the net, that's the only reason he got PP time. Otherwise he was a 3rd or 4th liner.

Nash seems like a better comparison as others have mentioned.

Still early, but this is really looking like a trade that is working out for both teams. The reason I really like it for the Leafs though is that guys like Schenn are usually easier to find than guys like JVR. I'm not saying Schenn is dime a dozen or anything, as guys who can play a top 4 shutdown role with toughness/willingness to drop the gloves are quite valuable.

But a guy with JVRs size and skill is tougher to find. So far, so good.

NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote