HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 08:00 PM
TollefsenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
that would be the smallest city (dont count Chekhov, Khanty-Mansiysk). On the other hand, I can imagine that there are similar/bigger cities next to Stavanger. Am I right? Plus roads/railways are great, I would say. You know, if people from other cities would like to watch KHL.
Stavanger got a little more than a 100.000 inh. The urban area/metro is like another poster said about 300.000 to 350.000 inh. Most important Stavanger is the most expensive city in Norway, so money shouldnt be an issue. Statoil, Telenor, DNB, Lyse energi etc would probably support the team. The arena in stavanger is better than many KHL arenas, so it should be good enough for a few years.

Last edited by TollefsenFan: 02-16-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

great. If owner of club wants to join, it can happen. Who knows?

Old
02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
TollefsenFan

Well I think there is alot of work to be done, before the team can enter the KHL. They need ofc a bigger budget, support from the whole country, support from the federation etc. Still I believe a norwegian team in the khl would make sense. Norwegian economy is still very strong compared to other western european countries. Our league isnt very good and this would be a step in the right direction. It would be nice to see some of our best players in Norway and not only in DEL, SEL and Russia

If some of the big norwegian companies like Statoil, Hydro, Telenor, Aker etc support the team, then they should have an okey budget.

Stavanger would also be able to sign some of the best nor players like Thoresen, Haugen, Skrøder, Zuccarello etc. Ad some north americans etc and the roster would look rly nice.

Biggest issue is the arena, but its at least as good as the one in Donetsk

And im not a fan of Stavanger Oilers, but we (norwegians) need a true nr 1 team. A team that can get some media attention

Old
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Stavanger ist krieg, but I think the KHL should stop at that.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
VladNYC

I have said many times on here that Norway is an unexplored gold mine of hockey and the KHL needs to get in there more than any of the other places they seems to be expanding to. Norway has a great economy, a great love of winter sports, a budding hockey culture and some great players are coming out of there.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Spektanto

If we have Gdansk, Zagreb and Milan in the KHL next season, there will be a problem with conferences - at least I find it as a problem: 17 teams of the West vs 12 of the East. In this case Torpedo and Lokomotiv can be moved to the East, but will the league really do it?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektanto View Post
If we have Gdansk, Zagreb and Milan in the KHL next season, there will be a problem with conferences - at least I find it as a problem: 17 teams of the West vs 12 of the East. In this case Torpedo and Lokomotiv can be moved to the East, but will the league really do it?
3 conf?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Spektanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
3 conf?
Well, may be, but I scarcely imagine play-offs in this case

Old
02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektanto View Post
Well, may be, but I scarcely imagine play-offs in this case
That's easy. The finals will be the winner of east/west versus SKA.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
a budding hockey culture
I just don't know if there's enough of that culture for a 5000 rink. I hope it does not sound like an insult to Norvegians but really if there was great hockey culture in Denmark and Norway, they'd probably have 25 guys in NHL, great national championship and would each have won an Olympics already...

But of course I would only welcome clubs from Norway and Denmark in KHL, as well as Gdansk, Milan or Zagreb. I'm not against anyone, if there are normal support in arena, normal TV picture coming to see games and team with a heart. And I think in this respect this year's expansion with Donbass, Lev and Slovan has been real success story, after all 2 teams are in the play-offs and the 3rd one was fighting till the end.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Vicente

Why are you guys all talking about three conferences? Maybe they could just add a third division to the West. For now that should work.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

make 4 conferences, there, odd number problem solved

Old
02-17-2013, 04:30 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Why are you guys all talking about three conferences? Maybe they could just add a third division to the West. For now that should work.
Medvedev said it a few days ago that there are more options for next season, one of them is 3 conf

If I understand, he said it during this tv show, aired yesterday. Lets hope IT guys will upload it to website as soon as possible.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Vicente

The problem with KHL is you never know where the next teams come from and so you have to rethink everything 10 times before the start of the season.

And the worst is that you not only have to think about the geographic situation but also you need a balance of the level of the participants. Hardly possible with new teams from Croatia, Poland, Denmark or Norway.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
hockeyamateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
The arena in stavanger is better than many KHL arenas, so it should be good enough for a few years.
On top of that, it's the most modern hockey arena in all of the Nordic countries. Or at least it was when built last autumn.

I can't say that I would see any problem with them joining either. Especially this club and it's owner. They do absolutely everything right.

They have literally transformed Stavanger into Norway's own "hockey-town".

The way they operate is to bring as much(positive) media attention as possible towards the club and the sport. They have the Movember campaign, they pulled off a Teddy bear toss this christmas and they entered the Bled- and Continental Cup's. They had their own cup between the city's three teams. They arranged the first ever(as far as I know?) national-friendlies outside of the Oslo-region between Norway and Switzerland/Slovakia in January this year.

They do so much for hockey it's insane, especially when you realize it's a Norwegian team on the west-coast.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Vicente

Belarussian president Lukashenko threatens to let Dinamo Minsk play in a new Western European league instead of KHL if they don't solve the travel problems.

http://eurohockey.com/article/2340-l...n-khlquot.html

Not sure if that belongs here but off course a change in conferences would affect expansion.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Belarussian president Lukashenko threatens to let Dinamo Minsk play in a new Western European league instead of KHL if they don't solve the travel problems.

http://eurohockey.com/article/2340-l...n-khlquot.html

Not sure if that belongs here but off course a change in conferences would affect expansion.
Hes an effin clown,napoleon syndrome kind-of- guy. If he wants out of the KHL,fine get out.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:08 PM
BalticWarrior

It`s not Dinamo Minsk or KHL`s fault Belarus failed to qualify to Sochi 2014 Want to improve quality of prospects comming out of Belarus? Heres a tip-pay your youth coaches more money so they don`t immigrate to russia.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
SoundAndFury

He's threatening to move a team to a league which doesn't even exist Boy oh boy he's one funny guy. Reminded me of this line delivered by Yankees owner Steinbrenner on Seinfeld:

"Oh we all get a little cuckoo sometimes George, I used to be like you. Rating personnel 'till they cried, calling managers on the field during a game; threatening to move the team to New Jersey, just to upset people."

Old
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Peter25

My impression of Lukashenko that while authoritarian he also cares about his country. In this matter Lukashenko is just trying to play hardball with the KHL. He knows that Dinamo Minsk will never participate in some imaginary "European league" and he just wants to make is voice heard.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Vicente

Come on guys. I didn't post it to let people get crazy about politics but what you think about the issue with the conferences.

Some aspects are absolutely true. Travel is affecting teams a lot - less training, more exhausting changes of time zones and plane flights, especially during road trips.

Though I think the NT team problems have another origin. If you don't let enough Belarussian players have a chance in KHL...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Come on guys. I didn't post it to let people get crazy about politics but what you think about the issue with the conferences.
Not good but not that bad as Lukashenko makes it to be, IMHO. Sure in future if KHL expands westward maybe some model might be envisaged when all teams do not necessarily play all the other teams from the other conference. I don't see a point in splitting the league in basically two conferences that only play each other like they have (and plan) for MHL, unless the league grows to some 48 teams or so, 24 in each conference...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Vicente

But lets say we would have 28 teams for next season. Then we could have 14 teams in each Conference and 7 teams per division.

6x4 in own division = 24
7x2 against others of own conference = 14
14x1 against all other team = 14

makes = 52 games

So you would play against each team in the league but you would face 7 teams of the other conference at home and 7 on the road and would'nt have to travel to 7 other places far away.

I would send Donbass and Vityaz/Torpedo to the East and add Gdansk/Zagreb to the West.

- edit -

Off course more teams from the East (Sochi, Togliatti, Vladivostok) would help aswell.

Last edited by Vicente: 02-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Vicente

Don't get me wrong. I don't like dictatorships and I would never support one. I like democracy but it has to develop and people have to want it. So if you have places like Russia and you suddenly would have a "Western" democary more damage would be done than anyone could believe.

Do you think we would have a project like KHL if Russia was 100% democratic and there were no rich oligarchs?

That's why I hope more teams from EU countries join the league, so it can develop to a better product!

-edit-

When are new teams actually officially announced? Is there a limit for new teams? I mean we have 4 possible new teams:

- Gdansk (great new arena, hockey needs a big boost in Poland, money could be a problem)
- Medvescak (if they play in Arena Zagreb that would be perfect, enthusiastic fans, money could be a problem)
- Milan (don't see them joining because of lack of money and fans and modern arena sry)
- Sochi (new arena, no hockey history, no fans nah...)

Old
02-22-2013, 02:30 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I don't like dictatorships and I would never support one. I like democracy but it has to develop and people have to want it. So if you have places like Russia and you suddenly would have a "Western" democary more damage would be done than anyone could believe.

Do you think we would have a project like KHL if Russia was 100% democratic and there were no rich oligarchs?

That's why I hope more teams from EU countries join the league, so it can develop to a better product!

-edit-

When are new teams actually officially announced? Is there a limit for new teams? I mean we have 4 possible new teams:

- Gdansk (great new arena, hockey needs a big boost in Poland, money could be a problem)
- Medvescak (if they play in Arena Zagreb that would be perfect, enthusiastic fans, money could be a problem)
- Milan (don't see them joining because of lack of money and fans and modern arena sry)
- Sochi (new arena, no hockey history, no fans nah...)
What about that norway team stavenger oilers?

Closed Thread