HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
Looking like Anaheim has no intention of trading Perry so you can scratch him off the list too along with Stewart. Not surprising considering how well they're playing / the history. BTW the quote below refers to Perry and Getzlaf.

Quote:
“They’re coming in the next couple of weeks,” Murray said. “And we’ll do everything in our power to sign them. That’s obviously my biggest priority. This isn’t rocket science. I’m going to try everything I can to get them signed.”
He may or may not succeed in getting them signed by this summer but what's clear is he has no intention of moving them this season.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
SherogoesHAM

I'd be all for overpaying for Evander Kane:

Niskanen/Despres
Bennett
Pouliot
1st
and of course Kennedy for cap purposes.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
WarriorScholar

No reason to trade either one of them.

1. They have a great shot at the cup
2. Neither have informed them they wanted out, the goal is to workout a deal. Whether that happens or not doesn't matter. Fact is right now they want to stay.

I'm guessing it will be the same as parise. Stay with team for shot at cup, and then Perry signs for a big deal somewhere else. Getzlaf will stay. Sucks to lose a guy for nothing in return( like we at least got for staal who had one foot out the door) , but that's what happens when your team is in contention like Anaheim is and jersey was.

So yes, Perry is not happening. Never thought it was though. And I'd like to think Shero also won't waste his time during the summer either. Even though its certain every analyst and reporter out there will be saying perry wants to come to pittsburgh and we are the favorites to land him.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
Side note: are there any forwards in WBS who play a game similar to bortuzzo who could be added to the 3rd or 4th line? (thanks in advance).
Right now? Farnham.

Really good skater who makes things happen, but isn't going to generate a ton of points.

Think Vitale redux with more of an edge. He has around double the PIMs of anyone else on WBS. He already has way over double the PIMS of what Vitale maxed out at (70) in WBS.... In like 30 less games.

He and Vitale would be pretty funny to watch together.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherogoesHAM View Post

Niskanen/Despres
Bennett
Pouliot
1st

Only if we got Evander Holyfield and Patrick Kane as well.

That's a Perry type return(sign and trade) , not Evander Kane.

Last edited by WarriorScholar: 02-22-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:

Niskanen/Despres
Bennett
Pouliot
1st
Yea thats ridicilous overpayment.

Kane would look sick next to Sid though.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Right now? Farnham.

Really good skater who makes things happen, but isn't going to generate a ton of points.

Think Vitale redux with more of an edge. He has around double the PIMs of anyone else on WBS. He already has way over double the PIMS of what Vitale maxed out at (70) in WBS.... In like 30 less games.

Is he as fast?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Is Farnham even a Pens prospect? Last I heard he was on an AHL only deal. Pens could obviously sign him if they wanted him in the NHL but I doubt that will happen this season. Of the guys under contract with the big club wouldn't Zach Sill fit the description of a gritty 4th liner type. Not that I expect him to be called up anytime soon either.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
**** no.

Sutter isn't Staal, but then again, oftentimes Staal wasn't Staal either. Sutter's got 4 goals and 3 assists, which is pretty much on par with what you'd expect from a prototypical 3rd line checker. While he hasn't exactly blown me away, I suspect part of that is who he's playing with.

After reading that letter ROR's dad sent to the denverpost, I want no part of him and his entourage. That family seems ****ing nuts.
I just read the letter. That was the weirdest thing I've ever read. It's not about money, my son has more character than your son, no one is treating anyone unfairly...but pay my son more.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Right now? Farnham.

Farnham is honestly noticeable every time he's one the ice, I'd imagine that the Pens will sign him to an NHL deal after the season.

He brings exactly the type of spark that the bottom six is missing.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Is he as fast?
Farnham is at least as fast as Vitale, if not faster.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:

Niskanen/Despres
Bennett
Pouliot
1st

Not trying to be offensive but you are out of your mind. There's overpayment and then there's "hurts the team more than helps". It's even debateable whether Perry (a substantial upgrade over Kane) is worth that much. This isn't NHL 13.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Riptide

Jan Mursak on waivers. 5-11, RHS...

Shero's newest waiver claim?

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I don't see us claiming anyone right now. They'd have to either send Despres down or waive Boychuk, and I don't think they're eager to do either.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Thusly was the Mursak-Manchuk connection born.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Jan Mursak on waivers. 5-11, RHS...

Shero's newest waiver claim?
I think Boychuk was claimed because of his youth, speed and tenacity. Shero probably did his research on Carolina's prospects before they traded Staal, maybe they liked Boychuk enough to claim him.

I don't think it's a matter of Shero picking up guys to see what works.

I really like Boychuk's game and hope he stays with the team.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
SherogoesHAM

Shero is bound to make a move or two. He has unbelievable prospect depth compared to three years ago and what other organizations(besides Chicago) can say have so much signed talent for years to come? The penguins are solid down the middle, defense, and goalie.

He could trade for Kane and Stewart and still have far more depth than years past.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Farnham is honestly noticeable every time he's one the ice, I'd imagine that the Pens will sign him to an NHL deal after the season.

He brings exactly the type of spark that the bottom six is missing.
Ya, he's an *******, in a good way. He, Vitale and Uher would make a crazy bottom 9 that would drive teams nuts. Vitale is balls to the walls, clean, hard hitting, etc. Farnham is all that, but not exactly clean. He is a borderline dirty mofo but at least he backs his **** up. He's had like ten fights already this year.

Farnham will be another cult hero type if he can make it, I think.

If people hate the Pens now, those three would cause delicious tears from the mouth breathers.

This is, assuming, DB doesn't have a 40 year old Adams still playing...

Old
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Ya, he's an *******, in a good way. He, Vitale and Uher would make a crazy bottom 9 that would drive teams nuts.

If people hate the Pens now, those three would cause delicious tears from the mouth breathers.

WBS ran with a Farnham-Sill-Uher line a few games ago and it was pretty glorious.

Farnham has all the makings of a guy that's despised by opposing fans and a folk hero for the fans he plays for.

He also draws a ton of penalties, partly because of his speed and partly because people want to kill him.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
EVGENIMERLIN

Quote:
Ya, he's an *******, in a good way. He, Vitale and UHER would make a crazy bottom 9 that would drive teams nuts. Vitale is balls to the walls, clean, hard hitting, etc. Farnham is all that, but not exactly clean. He is a borderline dirty mofo but at least he backs his **** up. He's had like ten fights already this year.
How is Uher coming along? He was a prospect that interested me from a depth perspective

Old
02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGENIMERLIN View Post
How is Uher coming along? He was a prospect that interested me from a depth perspective
He's just gotten back into the swing of things as a regular in the line up after some injury problems earlier this year.

He's been physical and pesty, and generally solid, if a little rough around the edges.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:25 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Ya, he's an *******, in a good way. He, Vitale and Uher would make a crazy bottom 9 that would drive teams nuts. Vitale is balls to the walls, clean, hard hitting, etc. Farnham is all that, but not exactly clean. He is a borderline dirty mofo but at least he backs his **** up. He's had like ten fights already this year.

If people hate the Pens now, it's more because of the uniform and past exploits rather than what they currently see on the ice.

Pens aren't soft, but they're not mean or tough to play against either. I want an angry fourth line and if the team has to kill a penalty here and there, so be it. Ever since Mario sent that letter and Cooke's headshot on McDonaugh, this team has been pacified and I can't stand it.

Stop trying to legislate morality and go back to huge part of what TRULY won the team a Stanley Cup.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:28 PM
cheesedanish87

This is a little off topic but I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on kris letang right now? He was our best def coming into the year but now i think its paul martin(and i dont think its close) Letang got demoted off the first pp unit and hes in our 2nd def pairing right now. He seems like hes gonna be one of those guys whos gonna get hurt every year with the physical style he plays plus other teams often target him. If he wants a contract next year for about 7 million is he worth it? I wanna keep him this year because I do think were a better team with him in the lineup but I think he might be a guy pens should think about trading in the summer. If we end up getting a rent a winger this year letang could bring us the long term winger we have been looking for plus we have some young def who should be ready next year.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:28 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

If I'm the Ducks I'm worried as heck that they are going to make a good run & lose them like the Devils did with Parise. I would be throwing serious money at them but in the end it might not make a difference.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:

Is a guy like Zac Rinaldo a good comparison for the type of player Farnham would be in the NHL?

Closed Thread