HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
FYI

I was a week early on this last friday but tonight Trouba and Michigan play Ohio State on the Big Ten network on TV (I get the channel on Shaw).
That's cool. I'll have to check if I have that channel on MTS.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Re: Kosmachuk
The scouting report said he plays a similar game to Ryan Callahan.
Personally I find him to play a game similar to Ladd... Good on the cycle, aggressive, drives hard to the net, and a knack for getting goals in the dirty areas, not the greatest playmaker but is working on his 3-zone game... Only difference is I don't see as many giveaways or 3rd period stick penalties :p

Old
02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Re: Kosmachuk
The scouting report said he plays a similar game to Ryan Callahan.
Personally I find him to play a game similar to Ladd... Good on the cycle, aggressive, drives hard to the net, and a knack for getting goals in the dirty areas, not the greatest playmaker but is working on his 3-zone game... Only difference is I don't see as many giveaways or 3rd period stick penalties :p
To Ladd's credit, he hasn't taken a 3rd period stick infraction in 5 games.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
FYI

I was a week early on this last friday but tonight Trouba and Michigan play Ohio State on the Big Ten network on TV (I get the channel on Shaw).
What channel number is it do you know?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
What channel number is it do you know?
#232 HD on Shaw

#157 SD

Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Not saying as good, but in style are you envisioning a Marchand type?
Similar , Kosmachuk from when I have seen him play on tv and in person is guy that is tough to play against despite being somewhat undersized.

He forces you to play with an edge because he does. He competes for the puck , looking to press the play . He takes the puck to the net , drives the net , wants to shoot , pounces on rebounds. He has that desire , that hunger to score and create chances and then is more than willing to get in the dirty areas to get a second shot or third. He plays quick too , with suddeness , pressing players , trying to force a pass or decision before they are fully comfortable to do that. He can make you play on your heels, not your toes when his game is on.

Maybe not as talented and certainly bigger , but also reminds me of Theo Fleury. You love him on your team but hate him if he is against you. Personally I think the Jets need a player ( or more ) like that. He forces his teamates to play harder , he causes stuff on the ice and the other team reacts ... you either counter that as a team or you don't.

He has good hockey instincts and vision , certainly offensively he does imo , and if you are undersized , slightly or a lot , those are needed traits to play at the NHL level imo. He also has a history of being able to finish.

When I see him , I see a guy with offensive skill , but also a hunger to score , create offense. When you have that you have a chance imo.

Last edited by jetkarma: 02-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I envision Kosmachuk being similar to Mike Keane. I would be happy with that.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I've always envisioned Kosmo as a blend of Versteeg and Callahan. Not quite as talented, but if he does develop I think he could become a very solid complimentary player up and down a lineup.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
jetkarma

Not at Keane's level defensively , at least yet imo.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I've always envisioned Kosmo as a blend of Versteeg and Callahan. Not quite as talented, but if he does develop I think he could become a very solid complimentary player up and down a lineup.
A big plus for Kosmo is that he seems to have the gumption to play in just about any role. Even if his scoring doesn't translate at the next level he should be able to grit his way into a 3rd or 4th line role.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Bob E

Always thought Kosmo would be that gritty 3rd line RW, who gets you 15+ goals and is tough to play against. An agitator type. A guy we likely need. But if Callahan comparisons are correct, he could eventually find his way in the top 6, especially if he finds his scoring touch at the NHL level.

Scheifele sure has dominated since returning to Barrie. The kid belongs in the AHL this year, not the OHL. I understand the agreement, but here's a perfect example of where a kid should be in the AHL to continue his development, but has to go back to Jr.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
(...)
Scheifele sure has dominated since returning to Barrie. The kid belongs in the AHL this year, not the OHL. I understand the agreement, but here's a perfect example of where a kid should be in the AHL to continue his development, but has to go back to Jr.
It is really too bad - it would be nice if they'd consider implementing an "exceptional" status with regards to the CHL / AHL, but on the other hand, I can see why the CHL wouldn't go for this. You're essentially taking the cream of the crop out of the CHL pool, and lessening the draw for those teams.

Scheifele has 10G and 7A for 17PTS in 8 games since going back to Barrie. Classic tweener. Too good for the O (or at least, isn't being pushed to the next level), but can't play AHL.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
It is really too bad - it would be nice if they'd consider implementing an "exceptional" status with regards to the CHL / AHL, but on the other hand, I can see why the CHL wouldn't go for this. You're essentially taking the cream of the crop out of the CHL pool, and lessening the draw for those teams.

Scheifele has 10G and 7A for 17PTS in 8 games since going back to Barrie. Classic tweener. Too good for the O (or at least, isn't being pushed to the next level), but can't play AHL.
an "exceptional" status is exactly what this is meant to protect against.

the Whole agreement to not allow under 20's in the AHL was put into place because the CHL wanted to keep its "exceptional" players in the league for as long as possible.

No way they'd agree to such a status

Old
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
an "exceptional" status is exactly what this is meant to protect against.

the Whole agreement to not allow under 20's in the AHL was put into place because the CHL wanted to keep its "exceptional" players in the league for as long as possible.

No way they'd agree to such a status
I think that's what I said, but with less clarity.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

He will be pushed a little bit harder in the playoffs.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
In those 8 games he's been held pointless once. He has 6 multi point nights since being sent back. I guess the people that said they want to see him dominate juniors are getting their wish.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:55 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Always thought Kosmo would be that gritty 3rd line RW, who gets you 15+ goals and is tough to play against. An agitator type. A guy we likely need. But if Callahan comparisons are correct, he could eventually find his way in the top 6, especially if he finds his scoring touch at the NHL level.

The problem with that is that it hurts the Jr. franchises , it is one thing to lose an under age player to the NHL , but very different to lose them to the AHL imo.

I can accept that , the NHL needs to make the JR. franchises as healthy as possible if they can influence that in any way. Looking at the players below the top 5 or so for Winnipeg , hard to envision that if Scheifele was given real ice time , he would not produce better than most if not all those players imo.

Maybe they wanted to keep another year , and not use one up , but that decision was made.

Always nice to have players in a top 6 role , but Winnipeg also really needs better production from their bottom 6 forwards imo. We are not getting that to the extent we need imo. When the best players are stymied , we aren't getting enough production to get one or two points often enough.

Having some positive scoring contributions from the bottom end would make a substantial difference to wins and losses imo. All part of the build. We need a 1C , maybe another top 6 RW , but also a couple bottom 6 players that can contribute as well.

Last edited by jetkarma: 02-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
He will be pushed a little bit harder in the playoffs.
True: it would be nice for him to close out his OHL career with a championship. That's a great goal for him. It's unfortunate that it's looking as if the IceCaps aren't going to make the playoffs - would have been nice for him to get some more time in St Johns at the end of the season.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:10 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
True: it would be nice for him to close out his OHL career with a championship. That's a great goal for him. It's unfortunate that it's looking as if the IceCaps aren't going to make the playoffs - would have been nice for him to get some more time in St Johns at the end of the season.
depending on how far Barrie gets is London the prohibitive favorite to come out of the OHL this year or is it up for grabs?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
depending on how far Barrie gets is London the prohibitive favorite to come out of the OHL this year or is it up for grabs?
London is easily the best team in the Ohl if not the entire Chl. I'm pretty confident at least 2/3 of Portland, London and Halifax are in the mem cup this year. Those teams are really in a class of their own.

Barries in the East and I expect them or Belleville to come out of that conference. Can't see any West team upsetting London. Maybe Owen Sound but I think its unlikely

Old
02-22-2013, 03:22 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Quote:
Knights are definitely the favourites, then there's a clump of 5 or 6 teams (including Barrie) behind them. Never know what'll happen once you get to the second season obviously, but it'll be a tough job to beat London.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Lowry scored #40 tonight, in the first period; game still in progress...
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/62452

Old
02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Lowry: Beast Mode - Engaged.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I'll put a video up soon.

edit:

Not much to see but there it is! Found it hilarious that Broncos TV can't even spell their own team's name.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 02-22-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Scheifele the goon - got booted from the game for boarding, and picked up an unsportsmanlike at the same time.

Closed Thread