HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
If the Flyers don't make the playoffs, where does that leave the "Briere is amazing in the playoffs!" argument? No need to conserve energy for the golf course.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
No need to conserve energy for the golf course.
Maybe he walks instead of riding.

02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
If he waive his NTC he seems like a perfect fit for a team like Nashville. They need offensive punch and his actual salary becomes really low. I would think they would give up something of value for him.
Yea, his salary dropping to $3 million next year, and $2 million the final year might make him tradable. No idea what his value is, or would be by the offseason, but anything in return would be better than buying him out and receiving nothing (call me Captain Obvious).

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
bauer

i'm all for buying out Briere this summer, but that has more to do with his age and caphit than him just sucking. i don't think he's been THAT bad this year. 10 points in 15 games is very respectable. sure, for that caphit you'd want a little more production, but he's been far from our worst player this season. he's been okay, as far as production goes anyway.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
i'm all for buying out Briere this summer, but that has more to do with his age and caphit than him just sucking. i don't think he's been THAT bad this year. 10 points in 15 games is very respectable. sure, for that caphit you'd want a little more production, but he's been far from our worst player this season. he's been okay, as far as production goes anyway.
Yeah, I'd kind of agree with that. I mean, I don't like him on our team and would be happy to see him leave, but when it comes down to it, he's still getting points. The weird thing is there are players that look dominating and impressive, but when you look at their stats there's not much there. Briere, on the other hand, looks like crap out there, but he still manages to get those points in, despite not being on a pace he "should" be on with respect to his cap hit.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Yea, his salary dropping to $3 million next year, and $2 million the final year might make him tradable. No idea what his value is, or would be by the offseason, but anything in return would be better than buying him out and receiving nothing (call me Captain Obvious).
Coming down to the money argument, if Briere thought he could make more than 3 million per season, there is no reason for him to waive his NMC, because coming down to a cap argument and knowing the Flyers can just use the amnesty buyout. Essentially, he can pick the team he wants to go to and will probably get more than 3 million.

Really stinks that a team using an amnesty buyout cannot resign that player. I'm sure he would gladly accept a buyout and take a much lesser cap hit.

The only reason he would waive his NMC is if it was during the season and his only chance at the playoffs was with the team involved in the trade.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

What if he scores another 50 point pace this season, Philly makes the playoffs, but then he goes ppg once again in the playoffs. Would you still want him to be bought out?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
What if he scores another 50 point pace this season, Philly makes the playoffs, but then he goes ppg once again in the playoffs. Would you still want him to be bought out?
You can't just look at the points he's getting but look at the points he costs us with his lazy defensive play and penalties.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Quite honestly, while a PPG in playoffs is great, if we cant get past two rounds, then I would say that 6.5 cap hit could be spent in other places that would help lift us past that second round.

Briere isn't the only one that can score on this team. If we can tighten up the defensive side of things with that extra cap money, we shouldn't need that PPG he brings in the playoffs.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
bauer

Quote:
yes. he'll be 36 next year and it's time to look towards the future. besides, unless you're winning a cup (which this team isn't) does it really matter if he has a ppg pace in one round of the playoffs? unless you're winning a cup, having one good round means very little.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:41 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You can't just look at the points he's getting but look at the points he costs us with his lazy defensive play and penalties.
agreed.

i like the line he's on currently. briere-schenn-simmer had a great game against pittsburgh. danny b's set up on the first simmer goal was probably the play of the game (not in terms of outcome but in execution) by the flyers. like all things this year, give it time. if it doesn't work out and we miss the playoffs or we make the playoffs and danny b is a no-show (haha...) then consider the buy-out.

or if you can lock up a younger replacement, consider the buy-out regardless.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Again, I'm not a fan of his, but what penalties? He has 6 PIM in 15 games, and from players that have played close to this amount on our team, only Read, Couturier and Gervais have less. And as far as his defensive play is concerned, I actually think this is a myth that has now been perpetuated here (same as the "playoff Danny" myth, even though he does produce at a somewhat higher pace then), and people are just sticking to it. I mean, I've watched him play and he does actually make some backchecking contributions, as well. I'm not saying he's as good defensively as, say, Read, but I think his defensive play is getting way more flack than it should. Plus, of the bad goals we've conceded, I can't remember many (or any, for that matter) where he was the culprit in being late to cover the rushing opposing forward. On the other hand, a lot of other forwards lauded for their defensive play have been. So I really don't see him costing us that many points with that. On the other hand, he is -2, so maybe I'm not seeing things as they are.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Playoffs vs NJ last year

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:57 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Again, I'm not a fan of his, but what penalties? He has 6 PIM in 15 games, and from players that have played close to this amount on our team, only Read, Couturier and Gervais have less. And as far as his defensive play is concerned, I actually think this is a myth that has now been perpetuated here (same as the "playoff Danny" myth, even though he does produce at a somewhat higher pace then), and people are just sticking to it. I mean, I've watched him play and he does actually make some backchecking contributions, as well. I'm not saying he's as good defensively as, say, Read, but I think his defensive play is getting way more flack than it should. Plus, of the bad goals we've conceded, I can't remember many (or any, for that matter) where he was the culprit in being late to cover the rushing opposing forward. On the other hand, a lot of other forwards lauded for their defensive play have been. So I really don't see him costing us that many points with that. On the other hand, he is -2, so maybe I'm not seeing things as they are.
I'm talking about previous years, take a look at his time with the Flyers: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8464975

A lot of them were just lazy, stick penalties. And as far as +/- goes, that stat is really unreliable.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Playoffs vs NJ last year
I don't understand your point.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Ryker

Quote:
I'm talking about previous years, take a look at his time with the Flyers: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8464975

A lot of them were just lazy, stick penalties. And as far as +/- goes, that stat is really unreliable.
Oh, I thought you were talking about this season alone. As far as +/- goes, it has its value, as well. Assuming you want Briere's line to be a goal scoring line, you want it to be that number to be as positive as possible for players on that line, because otherwise it's telling you that whatever their offensive prowess is, their job on the defensive end is dismantling whatever work they do in regards to scoring.

Last edited by Ryker: 02-22-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Just saw he had under 9 mins toi this game against WPG, poor guy, how far he has fallen .

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Just saw he had under 9 mins toi this game against WPG, poor guy, how far he has fallen .
age will do that to everyone

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:51 PM
dats81

He was sitting out a couple of shifts due to a hit he had taken early on....he does not suddenly drop to that low ice time!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

So far this year he is at .69 points per game. He finished last year at .70, 2011 at .88 and 2010 at .70.

So he's producing at about the same rate. He isn't looking as good while he does it though, so I imagine he's getting a good bit of aid from his linemates who are producing at a higher rate than him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 920
Supposedly, he got a stick near the mouth and that was a cause for limited ice time.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Everyone should know by now how I feel about Danny. This team has enough veteran leadership and scoring where he could be used as a trade chip down the road to a contending team (if he so desires). If not, my money is he is brought out. It's not his fault he is making 6.5. But with the cap coming down next year he very well may be a casualty

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I don't understand your point.
he was B R U T A L defensively vs NJ last in the playoffs.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Playoffs vs NJ last year
To be fair.........the whole club was horrible against Jersey ? Our club just don't match up against Jersey for quite a few reasons, although we match up well against Pitts ? go figure.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
redbeard7737

I know Couturier is always going to play center, but is it possible the Flyers buy out Briere at the end of the year and give the number 2 center to Couturier and move Schenn to the wing? Having a top 6 of Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds is pretty impressive, with Matt Read in the top 9 for depth...just not sure if Couturier will always be a number 3 center in Philly behind Giroux and Schenn or if he will ever get a chance in the top 6...I think he could put up some big numbers if given the chance.

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote