Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre Game Hosts

Old
02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
OLD51JOHN

vCash: 500
Pre Game Hosts

They seem less than enthuastic in their out look on the Bruins.. To be truefull I have never forgiven host # I when he thought that the team revolve about how he announced their efforts on the ice..# 2 is more about other teams .. Pederson is the only reason I tune in ...Thoughts???

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

I think both the pre-game/post-game show and the content between periods is stale and overall dreadful. I actually don't have a problem with the analysts (Jaffe,Pederson, Kluzak) and I think on the whole, they have a lot of knowledge about the game and are able to express it. But man is that show boring.

In all honesty, I can't stand Dale, way too corny for me, but I think the whole operation is too formulaic, stale, stuffy, and any other adjective you want to throw out there. There is no edginess to it whatsoever. The social media portion they have with Dan Duquette Jr. is dreadfully embarrassing.

Sorry to **** all over the show, but I just can't think of many nice things to say. I usually try to avoid it all together, but when I do happen to be watching, I find myself quickly flipping through the channels until the game comes back on.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

I never watch it live - DVR it and fast forward to the player interviews. Same with Overtime. Its like they don't have any good attitudes toward the team. Not saying I want a butt-kiss fest but just approach it with some intelligence and a little bit of fun.

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:52 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Is it worse than Tom Larson or Walt Perkins or Levanchy all alone in a poorly lit studio?

I actually don't mind it--especially the home games being at the arena. That's a huge upgrade. Dale is decent at the job--all the desk guys are. Rick Middleton was the absolute best though and he is sorely missed.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
There is no edginess to it whatsoever.
Why does a pregame/postgame/intermission show need to be 'edgy'?

The term 'edginess' brings to mind ESPN or sports radio, which has substituted substance with glitz, noise, and stupidity. No, thank you.

All I need from Bruins broadcasts are the following:

Quick recap of the last game to provide context
Roster updates
General knowledge about the opposing team (how they're trending, any injuries/news)
League highlights and news

Ideally, Jaffe would be gone, Dale would loosen up, and the social media trainwreck segment removed, but I don't need any edginess. Especially NESN style edginess. I cringe every time I see the opening with the horrible theme song and the various Bruins players awkwardly skating/shooting through a poorly rendered CG Boston.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Ratty

Quote:
I think both the pre-game/post-game show and the content between periods is stale and overall dreadful. I actually don't have a problem with the analysts (Jaffe,Pederson, Kluzak) and I think on the whole, they have a lot of knowledge about the game and are able to express it. But man is that show boring.

In all honesty, I can't stand Dale, way too corny for me, but I think the whole operation is too formulaic, stale, stuffy, and any other adjective you want to throw out there. There is no edginess to it whatsoever. The social media portion they have with Dan Duquette Jr. is dreadfully embarrassing.

Sorry to **** all over the show, but I just can't think of many nice things to say. I usually try to avoid it all together, but when I do happen to be watching, I find myself quickly flipping through the channels until the game comes back on.
Can't agree more. Duquette looks really green. Maybe he's just breaking in...but. As for Arnold, well that's been hashed over many times here. I guess the guy needs a gig after getting canned by WEEI, but I'm growing weary of his style.

I like Jaffe, though. Would like to see more of him. Boy do I miss Kathryn Tappen.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:23 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post

The term 'edginess' brings to mind ESPN or sports radio, which has substituted substance with glitz, noise, and stupidity. No, thank you.

Roster updates
General knowledge about the opposing team (how they're trending, any injuries/news)

Ideally, Jaffe would be gone, Dale would loosen up, and the social media trainwreck segment removed, but I don't need any edginess. Especially NESN style edginess. I cringe every time I see the opening with the horrible theme song and the various Bruins players awkwardly skating/shooting through a poorly rendered CG Boston.
Edgy might be the wrong word. How about entertaining? Because it certainly isn't that. I also don't find it particularity informative either. Most of the info they give can be found here or on twitter ahead of time. There is no groundbreaking opinions or analysis by any means. Tell me something I don't know or give me an interesting take. Is that too much to ask for?

Old
02-22-2013, 04:25 PM
weaponomega

Dale Arnold is soooo awful. He's boring, and uncaptivating and unentertaining. I have literally fallen asleep at almost every intermission report.

I really miss Tappen.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
If I have to hear Kluzak whine about fighting 1 more time I am going to throw something.

At least he is not in the broadcast booth. ruining my childhood memories informing the audience how dangerous every fight is.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:32 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

I really do miss the lovely Ms. Hazel Mae...

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
Aw, what the hell, let's make another thread about how much Gagne sucks.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

I like Dale and also liked him doing PBP. I like Edwards a lot as well.

The Dan Duquette JR thing is so bad that its like a joke. Dale and Jaffe ( or Kluzak) just sit there after and never comment on anything he says. It's beyond stupid and embarrassing.

Kluzak is terrible and always has been.

Quaider* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
I really do miss the lovely Ms. Hazel Mae...
:vomiting emoticon:

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

It's fine. I love Dale. I'm not fond of that new guy

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
:vomiting emoticon:

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:55 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Pederson is the only one on the show I don't mind listening to. The rest of it is God-awful.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post

Roster updates

have i told you lately that i'd love to watch a game with you while hoisting some adult beverages?

I always tivo it and watch later so i skip most of what is being discussed, but the one major change i would make to the broadcast is one i've mentioned before, and that would be to have Pedersen down at ice level between the benches playing the Pierre Mcguire role. I know a significant portion of posters hate the guy but i absolutely love, LOVE, all that commentary he gives regarding line matching and which bench is energetic and which bench has simply given up the will to compete. Plus he sees a lot that we all at home or even those in the booth miss.

and yes, we need Nutty back.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
one major change i would make to the broadcast is one i've mentioned before, and that would be to have Pedersen down at ice level between the benches playing the Pierre Mcguire role.
That is a great suggestion. You can get much more in-game info from the "between-the-glass" guy than you can from a "sidelines" reporter. That would really add to the telecast by giving the audience a different perspective. It also might give the guys doing intermission additional material to work with.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

just watch captain tappen on nhl network. she can't talk.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
Is it worse than Tom Larson or Walt Perkins or Levanchy all alone in a poorly lit studio?

Yes. Yes it is.

I actually don't mind it--especially the home games being at the arena. That's a huge upgrade. Dale is decent at the job--all the desk guys are. Rick Middleton was the absolute best though and he is sorely missed.
Whatever else, Dale Arnold is excellent in his present postion. Born to it.

I miss RM (wherefore art thou, Nift?).

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Strafer

Quote:

In all honesty, I can't stand Dale, way too corny for me, but I think the whole operation is too formulaic, stale, stuffy, and any other adjective you want to throw out there. There is no edginess to it whatsoever.
The social media portion they have with Dan Duquette Jr. is dreadfully embarrassing.

Great points, ESPECIALLY about Dale Arnold . I've been squawking about Dale forever but he's like a bad penny, he just keeps coming back. Jaffe seems to have it all together and I appreciate his analysis and knowledge of the game. I don't know if the OP includes Brickley in this group but since he lost his job with the tv team several years ago because of his losing "it" at a Christmas party and making an a$$ of himself he seems to kiss up to JAck etc way too much. I was watching the rebroadcast of Thursday nights game on Friday and I remarked to my wife that he is Ed McMahon to Jack Edwards Johnie Carson. He's constantly whooping it up and laughing at Jacks comments.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
have i told you lately that i'd love to watch a game with you while hoisting some adult beverages?

I always tivo it and watch later so i skip most of what is being discussed, but the one major change i would make to the broadcast is one i've mentioned before, and that would be to have Pedersen down at ice level between the benches playing the Pierre Mcguire role. I know a significant portion of posters hate the guy but i absolutely love, LOVE, all that commentary he gives regarding line matching and which bench is energetic and which bench has simply given up the will to compete. Plus he sees a lot that we all at home or even those in the booth miss.

and yes, we need Nutty back.
I'd love for Nutty to come back and.... The music at the Garden stinks.
Love the idea of Pederson between the benches if there's a spot for him. He's too removed from the actual game and ice and I (too) think that he'd have alot to add to the broadcast. Another thing, Kluzak seems like a great guy but he is boring!

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Shaun
beauty

If they really wanted to entertain people they would try and get Espo to come back as an analyst. I can only imagine the things he'd say and the stories he has.

He's probably too old now and comfortable in Florida but it would be hilarious.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:43 AM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Anyone else notice Dale uses alot of other peoples jokes from twitter? Constantly using something DJ Bean, Kalman, Spector, etc. Said

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Whatever else, Dale Arnold is excellent in his present postion. Born to it.

I miss RM (wherefore art thou, Nift?).
Same here on both points.
Nifty was super and said it like it is. I often wondered how Aaron Ward would do as in studio contributor.

Frankly, I like Dale. He knows the game & league. Some may not like his delivery and to each his own. But the guy is as informed and knowledgeable as they come, IMO.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

In the playoffs I liked turning to CSNNE to watch Felger and Amonte. I wish he and Milbury/Amonte would do pre/post. NESN is terrible. I hate Kulzak. I'm not wild about King Jaffe Jafar of Zamunda. He's a clown, but I'd love to see them bring Lyndon Byers into the mix. He was good on NESN Daily when they were having him on.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote