HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
He's basically carrying the team right now. He also seems to have ignited a bit of a rivalry with O'Reilly last season. Rumors seem to be that he didn't like O'Reilly being called the best player on the team so he put in the offseason work to get back to where he was early on in his career. I'm not sure he's good enough for Canada, since he's basically a top 6 forward or bust and Canada is loaded, but without Duchene the Avs are last place without question.
Ya, I'm in agreement there, I don't think Duchene has much of a shot for a roster spot for Sochi. Good to see him rebound, I'd still prefer O'Reilly over Duchene, but if Matt wants to prove his critics wrong, then answer Team Canada's call come May and a trip to the WHC. He has 6 days from the end of the NHL season to the start of the WHC to get his *** to Europe.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya, I'm in agreement there, I don't think Duchene has much of a shot for a roster spot for Sochi. Good to see him rebound, I'd still prefer O'Reilly over Duchene, but if Matt wants to prove his critics wrong, then answer Team Canada's call come May and a trip to the WHC. He has 6 days from the end of the NHL season to the start of the WHC to get his *** to Europe.

Honestly I don't see how O'Reilly makes the team either. Canada conceivably have three elite scoring centers in Tavares, Stamkos and Crosby. Then you have Toews who can be used in a checking role on the 3rd line. Then there is still Getzlaf, the Staals, Bergeron, Giroux, Couture, M. Richards... All guys I'd rather have over O'Reilly.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Honestly I don't see how O'Reilly makes the team either. Canada conceivably have three elite scoring centers in Tavares, Stamkos and Crosby. Then you have Toews who can be used in a checking role on the 3rd line. Then there is still Getzlaf, the Staals, Bergeron, Giroux, Couture, M. Richards... All guys I'd rather have over O'Reilly.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
I wasn't talking about Team Canada. O'Reilly doesn't make Team Canada in 2014. He does in 2018 though. Duchene will not in 2014 and I doubt will in 2018. I was saying in general, if I were picking an NHL team, and the choice was one of.... I'm going with O'Reilly. I'm not in the Duchene camp. Although of course I'm glad that he's having a rebound year... I support all my fellow canucks.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Team Canada. O'Reilly doesn't make Team Canada in 2014. He does in 2018 though. Duchene will not in 2014 and I doubt will in 2018. I was saying in general, if I were picking an NHL team, and the choice was one of.... I'm going with O'Reilly. I'm not in the Duchene camp. Although of course I'm glad that he's having a rebound year... I support all my fellow canucks.
I see says this blind man!

I'll disagree. I'd rather have an in shape and motivated Matt Duchene, but to each their own.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I see says this blind man!

I'll disagree. I'd rather have an in shape and motivated Matt Duchene, but to each their own.
I think in the long run, O'Reilly is the better overall player and will be more consistent year in year out. Duchene will suffer more years like last year than his current level of play. Just my opinion. I'm willing to give his some leeway. His last WHC was a complete bust. 7 games and a big fat bagel to show for it. Granted he was only 19 at the time, he has a shot to redeem himself if the Avs don't make the post season. My bet is though he'll be a no show.

I just finished writing a 19 page business proposal and after 10 hours at the comp. my eyes are googly and my ramblings are riddled with mistakes.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 02-20-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I think in the long run, O'Reilly is the better overall player and will be more consistent year in year out. Duchene will suffer more years like last year than his current level of play. Just my opinion. I'm willing to give his some leeway. His last WHC was a complete bust. 7 games and a big fat bagel to show for it. Granted he was only 19 at the time, he has a shot to redeem himself if the Avs don't make the post season. My bet is though he'll be a no show.

I just finished writing a 19 page business proposal and after 10 hours at the comp. my eyes are googly and my ramblings are riddled with mistakes.
Yep, he sucked for Canada, and that was after a pretty good season with the Avalanche as well. Still, I don't think he's ever turned down Team Canada. His comments have always seemed very positive towards international play. Just my hunch, but if the Canadians call him to go to Sweden I think he will say yes and it's almost certain that he'll be free at that time.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:36 PM
JackSlater

If Duchene stays near his current level, and especially if he goes to the WCs, he has to at least be invited to the summer camp. He's looked very good in the 4-5 games I've seen of him thus far. Great speed, could be useful as a fourth line wing or even a youthful energy guy at 14th forward. Keep in mind as well that while he was bad in the WCs as a 19 year old, he was actually quite good as an 18 year old. I like that he played in Europe this year as well.

Duchene belongs in the group of young guys with Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Eberle and Kane. At least two of these guys should make the team.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
True Hockey Fan

Look at this roster of young players, almost everyone has a chance to make the team. When I think about it, it would be amazing see these players playing as a team. Wow, just imagine:

1st line: Seguin - Tavares - Eberle

2nd line: Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Benn

3rd line: Skinner - Couture - Duchene

4th line: E.Kane - Hodgson - Marchand

Old
02-21-2013, 04:17 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Look at this roster of young players, almost everyone has a chance to make the team. When I think about it, it would be amazing see these players playing as a team. Wow, just imagine:

1st line: Seguin - Tavares - Eberle

2nd line: Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Benn

3rd line: Skinner - Couture - Duchene

4th line: E.Kane - Hodgson - Marchand

No doubt an U25 team would be interesting. You got the players pretty much correct, but too many out of position. Seguin is a Center or RW. Benn is a Center or LW. Switch Duchene to LW and Skinner to RW although both are centers. and Marchand to LW. I'd keep the Hall RNH Ebs line in tack for the sake of continuity and a Benn-Tavaras-Seguin line as my number 1. Now.. who do you have for D-men U25? Petrangelo Doughty Can't include Letang, he'll be 26 in a few months. Justin Schultz? perhaps. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Schultz (granted only a game + highlights)

after that M Del Zotto from the Rangers looks sharp and Jared Cowen from Ottawa (unfortunate injury) looks to be promising. P.K. Subban

But Goalies???

Last edited by Mr Writer: 02-21-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Not for Canada, no.

2010 - Fleury
2006 - Turco
2004 - Theodore
2002 - Belfour
1998 - Joseph

And so on.
That never happened. Or are we talking field hockey?

02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That never happened. Or are we talking field hockey?
Yes, it did happen. He was our 3rd goalie at the 2004 World Cup. Never played a minute (and don't think he even dressed for any).

Old
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
No doubt an U25 team would be interesting. You got the players pretty much correct, but too many out of position. Seguin is a Center or RW. Benn is a Center or LW. Switch Duchene to LW and Skinner to RW although both are centers. and Marchand to LW. I'd keep the Hall RNH Ebs line in tack for the sake of continuity and a Benn-Tavaras-Seguin line as my number 1. Now.. who do you have for D-men U25? Petrangelo Doughty Can't include Letang, he'll be 26 in a few months. Justin Schultz? perhaps. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Schultz (granted only a game + highlights)

after that M Del Zotto from the Rangers looks sharp and Jared Cowen from Ottawa (unfortunate injury) looks to be promising. P.K. Subban

But Goalies???

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Del Zotto - Subban
Hamonic / Alzner - Just. Schultz

...Myers, D. Hamilton, Cowen

Goaltenders - Holtby, Reimer, Irving / S. Mason....well, that's a problem.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
HoseEmUp

Bleh, CBC won't let me pick St. Louis for the Olympic team projection thing. I can't finish it, they just threw my whole team out of whack.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Del Zotto - Subban
Hamonic / Alzner - Just. Schultz

...Myers, D. Hamilton, Cowen

Goaltenders - Holtby, Reimer, Irving / S. Mason....well, that's a problem.
Jake Allen from STL has some potential (and the only reason I'm touting him is because he's from the same town as I am).

Old
02-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

But Goalies???

This would be the perfect time to troll post and say Jake Allen, but put a picture of him..... nah won't do it.

Brayden Holtby is probably you're starter.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefingers View Post

Yeah, let's put in Dubnyk instead of Luongo. That makes so much ****ing sense.

Luongo will be the starter for the team. If he falters they'll go to Price.
It makes sense because Luongo is terrible.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

I never want to see Jake Allen in a Team Canada sweater again. Remember him at the 2010 WJC? Absolutely horrendous. Makes Toskala look like a Vezina candidate.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Yes, it did happen. He was our 3rd goalie at the 2004 World Cup. Never played a minute (and don't think he even dressed for any).
Didn't he dress for the SF when Brodeur was out?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Didn't he dress for the SF when Brodeur was out?
No, that was Luongo, against the Czechs. Theodore didn't play at all.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
No, that was Luongo, against the Czechs. Theodore didn't play at all.
If he was the backup goaltender for that game then he dressed though.

Looking forward to seeing Tavares at the WCs this year (sorry Islanders fans) as he looks like a beast now. Still a bit hard to project who will miss the playoffs, but right now the top line could feature Tavares and Stamkos.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
If he was the backup goaltender for that game then he dressed though.

Looking forward to seeing Tavares at the WCs this year (sorry Islanders fans) as he looks like a beast now. Still a bit hard to project who will miss the playoffs, but right now the top line could feature Tavares and Stamkos.
Yeah, you're right, Theodore must have dressed for that one. Brain cramp on my part. Brodeur was injured and unable to play in that SF game, they just didn't give Luongo a token start.

We should put together a good team for the Worlds, assuming everyone that's eligible accepts the offer. The Oilers trio (RNH, Hall, Eberle), Tavares, Kane, Giroux, Benn, Richards, Carter, Duchene would be in the mix up front if the season ended today. Maybe add guys like Moulson who aren't exactly contenders for the 2014 team, but would add an element of chemistry to the guys who are otherwise locks.

Moulson - Tavares - Giroux
Duchene - Stamkos - St. Louis
Benn - Richards - Carter
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Kane, Hartnell

Coburn - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Myers
Campbell - Hamonic
Alzner, Schultz

Holtby
Theodore
Dubnyk

Old
02-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, Theodore must have dressed for that one. Brain cramp on my part. Brodeur was injured and unable to play in that SF game, they just didn't give Luongo a token start.

We should put together a good team for the Worlds, assuming everyone that's eligible accepts the offer. The Oilers trio (RNH, Hall, Eberle), Tavares, Kane, Giroux, Benn, Richards, Carter, Duchene would be in the mix up front if the season ended today. Maybe add guys like Moulson who aren't exactly contenders for the 2014 team, but would add an element of chemistry to the guys who are otherwise locks.

Moulson - Tavares - Giroux
Duchene - Stamkos - St. Louis
Benn - Richards - Carter
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Kane, Hartnell

Coburn - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Myers
Campbell - Hamonic
Alzner, Schultz

Holtby
Theodore
Dubnyk
Hockey Canada never likes to fill-out the 25 WHC roster as they don't like bringing players to Europe and then not giving them playing time. Feels as though it's not fair to the players... which I get to point..but that's neither here nor there.

But if we were bringing a 25 man roster, here are my selections: Players whose teams are currently not in a PO position:

M ST. LOUIS S STAMKOS C GIROUX
JAMIE BENN J TAVARES C CONACHER (Just very curious to see how these 3 would mesh)
T HALL M DUCHENE J EBERLE
A LADD R O’REILLY C HODGSON (Provided ROR gets traded to a non PO team)

S GAGNE P.A. PARENTEAU

I'm leaving RNH off as I don't particularly like where his game is at right now.. and I still don't think he's fully recovered from last year's injury. I think this could be a Taylor Hall sort of thing where 4 years later an injury received in jr. gets operated on.

On D. I'd make no changes except for Myers. Although my preference would be the Top 6.

J BOUWMEESTER D DOUGHTY
B COBURN J SCHULTZ
M CARLE K ALZNER
B Campbell T Harmonic

Goalies? I'll go with your picks, but like every edition of Team Canada these days, with goalies, it is cross your fingers and hope.

I'd be willing to give Huberdeau a shot as well. I think he'd excel in a situation where he's not heavily counted on and playing with elite established players. Just a thought.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 02-23-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
M ST. LOUIS S STAMKOS C GIROUX
JAMIE BENN J TAVARES C CONACHER (Just very curious to see how these 3 would mesh)
T HALL M DUCHENE J EBERLE
A LADD R O’REILLY C HODGSON (Provided ROR gets traded to a non PO team)

S GAGNE P.A. PARENTEAU
Interesting forward groupings. I know what you're doing with the first line, but it's strange seeing St. Louis at LW. I would possibly put Tavares at wing, just to see how he does there for Olympic purposes. Tavares with Duchene at centre would be quite good.

Hall Stamkos St. Louis
Tavares Duchene Giroux
Kane Benn Eberle
Ladd O'Reilly M. Richards

Quote:
J BOUWMEESTER D DOUGHTY
B COBURN J SCHULTZ
M CARLE K ALZNER
B Campbell T Harmonic
Carle is an American. Luckily you can fill his spot with a superior player in Campbell. Defence is only ok, you would want to see some reinforcements from playoff teams. Not sure that Schultz is ready for top 4 minutes.

Quote:
I'd be willing to give Huberdeau a shot as well. I think he'd excel in a situation where he's not heavily counted on and playing with elite established players. Just a thought.
After Huberdeau's garbage performance at the WJC, made all the more ridiculous after his play thus far in the NHL, I don't want to see him on team Canada for quite some time.

Last edited by JackSlater: 02-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
tape to tape

Matt Moulson - 19 points in 17 games, has he earned an invite?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Interesting forward groupings. I know what you're doing with the first line, but it's strange seeing St. Louis at LW. I would possibly put Tavares at wing, just to see how he does there for Olympic purposes. Tavares with Duchene at centre would be quite good.

Hall Stamkos St. Louis
Tavares Duchene Giroux
Kane Benn Eberle
Ladd O'Reilly M. Richards

Carle is an American. Luckily you can fill his spot with a superior player in Campbell. Defence is only ok, you would want to see some reinforcements from playoff teams. Not sure that Schultz is ready for top 4 minutes.

After Huberdeau's garbage performance at the WJC, made all the more ridiculous after his play thus far in the NHL, I don't want to see him on team Canada for quite some time.

Carle is an American! F&*# I usually don't make those kind of mistakes! I'm usually up on the country of origin. ))) But always a player can slip through the cracks.

I only put MSL on LW because he can play either side and Giroux is either a center or on the right side. And I'm really curious to see what that 2nd line could do as all three are different players and there could be some magic happen there... but then again not... otherwise, I'd go with your lineup combos.

I'm willing to give Huberdeau a pass for the WJs and pin it all on the head of the coach.

Closed Thread