HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Is a guy like Zac Rinaldo a good comparison for the type of player Farnham would be in the NHL?
Eh.

I think the winger version of Vitale is an apt comparison, but he brings more of an agitator's game. Not to say Vitale isn't a pest out there, but people will just ignore the game entirely to chase after Farnham.

He has a knack for doing hilarious, sneaky little things that are generally harmless but drive people crazy, similar to Ruutu.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:44 PM
cheesedanish87

https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/statu...84552404152321

St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong and scouts from 10 other teams are scheduled to attend Penguins-Panthers game.

Here comes the stewart trade talk

Old
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I really don't want any Rinaldo's on this team...

I'm fine with players who play on the edge, walk a thin line, mix it up, and get under the other team's skin. Rinaldo has no line and is a dirty piece of ****.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post

St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong and scouts from 10 other teams are scheduled to attend Penguins-Panthers game.

I wish that was in the hopper, but St. Louis is just as likely looking to pick up rentals of their own from Florida.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Eh.

I think the winger version of Vitale is an apt comparison, but he brings more of an agitator's game. Not to say Vitale isn't a pest out there, but people will just ignore the game entirely to chase after Farnham.

He has a knack for doing hilarious, sneaky little things that are generally harmless but drive people crazy, similar to Ruutu.
Any ideas on why shero hasnt signed him to a nhl contract yet, he would bring so much life to the lineup. Same with sill, hes already in his fourth ahl season, is that something that he desperately needs to improve on thats taking so much time..

Old
02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Any ideas on why shero hasnt signed him to a nhl contract yet, he would bring so much life to the lineup. Same with sill, hes already in his fourth ahl season, is that something that he desperately needs to improve on thats taking so much time..
I'd imagine they're waiting until off season, although I'm not sure where the team is at in regards to the contract limit. I'd be really surprised if he wasn't signed.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
mpp9

Quote:

The dream lives on.....

Old
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

I don't doubt the talk will follow but considering they just put Tarasenko on IR, seems extremely unlikely they'll make their forward corp even thinner by trading a Top 6 quality guy to us. Much more likely: they're scouting Florida, a team with a lot of trade potential who is struggling overall, and an impatient GM. IOW they're actually looking to ADD an impact F, not trade one. Tallon is a builder... he loves his draft picks... in this year's draft I would expect him to try and acquire a couple more 1st / 2nd rounders.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I don't doubt the talk will follow but considering they just put Tarasenko on IR, seems extremely unlikely they'll make their forward corp even thinner by trading a Top 6 quality guy to us. Much more likely: they're scouting Florida, a team with a lot of trade potential who is struggling overall, and an impatient GM. IOW they're actually looking to ADD an impact F, not trade one.
Avs send us O'Reilly, we send them help on D, we send O'Reilly to the Blues and we get Stewart+D-man. Easy.

Last edited by mpp9: 02-22-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Avs send us O'Reilly, we send them help on D, we send O'Reilly to the Avs and we get Stewart+D-man. Easy.
If we're acquiring ROR to use him as trade bait for a winger, I think we can set our sights higher than Stewart. IMO, anyhow.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
The dream lives on.....
IMO, it's more likely Armstrong and those other teams are there to look at Weiss from Florida.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Avs send us O'Reilly, we send them help on D, we send O'Reilly to the Avs and we get Stewart+D-man. Easy.
Avs make out like bandits in that deal. Whatta steal

Old
02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Avs make out like bandits in that deal. Whatta steal
Oops. Corrected.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
So to be sure I have this right... we send Colorado a D and STL sends us Stewart and a D? Works for me. Where did you learn of this strange new trade technique? It's like a jedi mind trick... I like it!

Old
02-22-2013, 05:07 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Oops. Corrected.
Ehh was just having a little fun with time kill before the game. Knew what you meant

Old
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
IMO, it's more likely Armstrong and those other teams are there to look at Weiss from Florida.
Heh... other than Hubes, Markstrom and a couple others there's no one on that team who is untouchable. They're there to look at the whole damn roster. IMO Tallon is not above blowing that team up again before it gets established if he believes he can kick more ass in this draft like he did a couple years ago.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:15 PM
EVGENIMERLIN

Wish the Pens could take Huberdeau off his hands

Old
02-22-2013, 05:32 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Would've been cool if we could find out the list of teams scouting the Pens-Panthers game tonight. I bet Minnesota is one of them. Fingers crossed on my end.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Eh.

Ya Rinaldo is a *******, who is trying to hurt people.

Farnham plays right on the edge, but he won't cheapshot people with dirty hits. It's more like an extra shove after a whistle, face washing, sneaky elbows, whatever he can do to piss people off. He is good at getting people off their games. A lot like what we are seeing from Bort right now... But Farnham has agitating mastered.

Like I said, he will throw down if he has to. So he isn't a typical pest who runs away. I'm sure he will goad some good players into fights and get them off the ice.

I have no idea how the Pens feel about him, but he could literally be a Vitale clone on the fourth line.

Maybe if Adams leaves next year... Oh wait...

Old
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

So here's my question: I believe Burke got fired in part because of his loyalty to Wilson, who didn't want to play hockey like he did. I know we've talked about this is the bylsma thread, but do sweet think the pens have moved away from some of that physicality that Shero had because of disco Dan?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya Rinaldo is a *******, who is trying to hurt people.

Farnham plays right on the edge, but he won't cheapshot people with dirty hits. It's more like an extra shove after a whistle, face washing, sneaky elbows, whatever he can do to piss people off. He is good at getting people off their games. A lot like what we are seeing from Bort right now... But Farnham has agitating mastered.

Like I said, he will throw down if he has to. So he isn't a typical pest who runs away. I'm sure he will goad some good players into fights and get them off the ice.

I have no idea how the Pens feel about him, but he could literally be a Vitale clone on the fourth line.

Maybe if Adams leaves next year... Oh wait...
You'd have to think they'd be looking for some feedback from Hynes on his players, hopefully they'll agree with him:

Quote:
Penguins coach John Hynes agrees. He's thrilled to have a player like Farnham available when he writes out his lineup card.

"It's a little bit of the personality we would like as a team. It's what we want as a coaching staff," he said. "It's a tough player to play against. That's what Bobby Farnham is. You want guys in your lineup that are tough to play against, that will do anything to win. They'll sacrifice themselves for the team."
http://citizensvoice.com/sports/farn...ents-1.1410819

Old
02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Who does he play with? Can't be Geno and Neal. Are you telling me you're set going into the playoffs with Kunitz-Sid-PMB, because that's what you're saying if you want him. IMO, he should be plan F or G, right there a few letters after with Clarke MacArthur
I'd rather PMB in the top 6 then TK, BB, or Cooke.

And getting PMB doesn't mean Shero can't go after other options as well.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think Boychuk was claimed because of his youth, speed and tenacity. Shero probably did his research on Carolina's prospects before they traded Staal, maybe they liked Boychuk enough to claim him.

I don't think it's a matter of Shero picking up guys to see what works.

I really like Boychuk's game and hope he stays with the team.
Boychuk's alright I guess, but he hasn't accomplished much here. So while he hasn't hurt us, neither do I think he's been that effective here. As for claiming someone like Mursak... why not? Bigger than Boychuk. Give it 2 weeks (so 4-6 games?) and send Despres down for 2 weeks to make space. If it doesn't work out, there's absolutely nothing lost. It costs a couple grand to make the waiver claim. Only downside is he's a 550k guy on a 1 way deal - which is up in July.

Quote:
This is a little off topic but I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on kris letang right now? He was our best def coming into the year but now i think its paul martin(and i dont think its close) Letang got demoted off the first pp unit and hes in our 2nd def pairing right now. He seems like hes gonna be one of those guys whos gonna get hurt every year with the physical style he plays plus other teams often target him. If he wants a contract next year for about 7 million is he worth it? I wanna keep him this year because I do think were a better team with him in the lineup but I think he might be a guy pens should think about trading in the summer. If we end up getting a rent a winger this year letang could bring us the long term winger we have been looking for plus we have some young def who should be ready next year.
Letang's issue is that he's not a true #1D. He might be our #1D, but he's not a true #1 guy. He doesn't excel on the PP - and can't QB it, and doesn't excel as a shutdown type. And before people ***** about that definition, I don't think there's more than a small handful of true #1D's in this league. They're very very rare. That said he's very very good, and will likely get 6m on his next deal. Which I'm mostly alright with. So if he's asking for 6.5-7m, I'd let him walk (or rather trade him for something/someone/assets). As I don't think we can afford to try up 6.5m+ on someone who's NOT a #1 guy, when we have to bring in other people to fill the role that he's unable to fill (PPQB/shutdown type).

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I'd rather PMB in the top 6 then TK, BB, or Cooke.

And getting PMB doesn't mean Shero can't go after other options as well.
I agree but it also depends on the cost for PMB. Perhaps a 7th Rounder or two (LOL)

Old
02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
YANNIC44

What about Simon Gagne? Only makes $2.5 mil and will be an UFA.

Kings are pushing Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis in the top 6 and Sutter seems to have no use for Gagne in the bottom 6.

Closed Thread