HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Vancouver sucks

Old
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Never understood the love for Tims coffee. I like to go for a soup every now and then, but that isn't very good, either.

Also, anecdote for y'all.

My cousin's uncle from his other side of the family (not related to me in anyway, met him once in my life) used to own a Tims. Apparently he had a guy sue him for an allergic reaction to the coffee. The guy got tested for allergies (because he had no known food allergies) and his tests came up negative to all common food allergies. His only allergy was to nicotine. The lawyers tested the coffee and found nothing. They tested the cups and found the cups have a wax lining on the inside of the cup that contains nicotine.

It is just a story, but it worries me.
Wouldn't surprise me. I'm addicted to Tim's coffee

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
ive only purchased coffee once and that was an iced one from Wawa. it was so gross, will never try it again.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
ive only purchased coffee once and that was an iced one from Wawa. it was so gross, will never try it again.
It's an acquired taste.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Never understood the love for Tims coffee. I like to go for a soup every now and then, but that isn't very good, either.

My cousin's uncle from his other side of the family (not related to me in anyway, met him once in my life) used to own a Tims. Apparently he had a guy sue him for an allergic reaction to the coffee. The guy got tested for allergies (because he had no known food allergies) and his tests came up negative to all common food allergies. His only allergy was to nicotine. The lawyers tested the coffee and found nothing. They tested the cups and found the cups have a wax lining on the inside of the cup that contains nicotine.

Hm. That didn't happen.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/timhortons.asp\

What is your cousin's uncle's name by the way ?

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/timhortons.asp

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
opendoor

You know a food/drink is good when people have to concoct urban myths to explain why people would willingly ingest it.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Hm. That didn't happen.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/timhortons.asp\

What is your cousin's uncle's name by the way ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
While I myself wouldn't know (I've had Tims coffee maybe less than 10 times in my life), I was just sharing something my cousin told me. After reading the links, I am being made to understand that their coffee doesn't have nicotine in it. I never said their coffee had nicotine in it, though. I said the cups did.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:39 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
I also agree that Seattle > Vancouver.

Not sure why someone would think that Vancouver is better.
The stuff inside the cities mostly.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
ChicaGOAT > Vancouver
In terms of murders and crime for sure, you've got us beat by a huge margin. In terms of nature, liveability, the important things... Vancouver destroys most big cities easily.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Bionda

Vancouver and Seattle are both pretty great. I'd probably give the edge to Vancouver, I enjoy the greater diversity of people and cuisine. Seattle has the better skyline. Both have great options for coffee, so you don't need to frequent chains.

They both own Portland (which has its own charm), and in turn San Francisco owns all of them.

Here in Toronto, Timothy's and Second Cup are solid chains, and so is Caribou Coffee out of Minneapolis. Lots of alternative options in any big city..

Tim Hortons coffee is pretty gross. Decent donuts though. Basically our equivalent of Dunkin' Donuts.

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
StringerBell

West Coast = GOAT Coast

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
In terms of murders and crime for sure, you've got us beat by a huge margin. In terms of nature, liveability, the important things... Vancouver destroys most big cities easily.
Vancouver is only more livable than any other city in North America if you've got a six-figure income and don't mind the stupidly inadequate transportation.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:09 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
GOAT Thread Title

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:08 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Vancouver sucks.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Vancouver is only more livable than any other city in North America if you've got a six-figure income and don't mind the stupidly inadequate transportation.
I'm a firefighter and I make a 100k. U jelly?

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:21 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
While I myself wouldn't know (I've had Tims coffee maybe less than 10 times in my life), I was just sharing something my cousin told me. After reading the links, I am being made to understand that their coffee doesn't have nicotine in it. I never said their coffee had nicotine in it, though. I said the cups did.
Why would they even need to put nicotine in coffee, doesn't it already have caffeine?

Well yeah then you could just drink any cup of coffee to get your fix, but still coffee itself is sort of an acquired taste. I would imagine for the vast majority of people when you were a kid and snuck your first sip of coffee you would think this tastes like ****. But it's the caffeine that people get hooked on and acquiring a taste for it comes after.

I'd take a guess that Canadian's are probably addicted to Tim Horton's coffee because it was pretty much the first readily available fast service coffee chain up here and maybe the coffee is **** but it's the **** people just got used to.

As a disclaimer I should note I don't drink coffee. If it tastes like crap to me I'm not going to keep trying till I'm used to it just because everyone else is drinking it. And I guess more importantly I don't really get the desired response out of the caffeine.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
I'm a firefighter and I make a 100k. U jelly?
Yes.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Bruv
Loveless

I like Vancouver

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
For the life of me I'll never 'get' Tim Horton's. Well, aside from pointless nationalism..

Their coffee is gas station quality.
I can understand if you are on the highway and decide to pop in for a quick wrap or a sandwhich.

The one that gets me is the donuts. They are terrible. I will buy from a local bakery and they are always superior to anything you get at Tim Horton's. Cheaper too.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
They aren't rioting, they are telling the rest of the crowd to **** off, before they put that car fire out.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
For the life of me I'll never 'get' Tim Horton's. Well, aside from pointless nationalism..

Their coffee is gas station quality.
My theory, which may be rubbish, is that it's different enough from most of the competition that after you have it a few times in a row the brain associates that particular flavor with the caffeine high, developing a slight subconscious preference that's different from the actual physical caffeine addiction. And since Timmy's is everywhere it's easy to keep going back.

I don't find their coffee particularly good, I can make much better at home (aeropress ftw), but I don't hate it, really it's just mediocre but I find it has a fairly distinct flavor. If you blindfolded me I doubt I could recognize any brew from Starbucks or anywhere else, but I'd recognize the Tim Horton's. But maybe that's just me.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
The one that gets me is the donuts. They are terrible. I will buy from a local bakery and they are always superior to anything you get at Tim Horton's. Cheaper too.
TH used to have pretty good donuts when they made them fresh in the store. Now they bake them at some central bakery, freeze them, and ship them to the stores as far as I know. It's tragic.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:21 AM
40oz

'I'm just posting in this thread to tell everyone that I don't drink coffee'

-said trolling turds.

edit: 'miscellaneous opinion that has nothing to the thread, go city X'

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:34 AM
Semantics

Having lived in Seattle briefly and been to Vancouver a bunch, Seattle > Vancouver for sure if you want to live in a house like a king, as opposed to a small condo.

Vancouver is more urban and has better downtown living, but that's the main advantage I see for it.

Seattle has MUCH better real estate prices. Its suburbs are nicer, most of them are less dense than Vancouver's and greener; an upper middle class family can live in an area that looks like Cypress Park or Canyon Heights or somewhere like that. It's not an exaggeration to say you pay 3x more for the same thing in Vancouver. Most of Van's suburbs like Burnaby and Surrey and whatnot are pretty ugly, the beauty is all in the surroundings not where you live, whereas Seattle has all kinds of low density subdivisions carved right into the rainforest.

And despite the difference in real estate, people are also much wealthier in Seattle. Median household income in King County was $87k in 2010, vs $67k in the Vancouver CMA. Employment options are better too: Microsoft HQ, Amazon HQ, Boeing, a large Google office, and several other big tech companies.

Seattle is also larger and so there's just more of everything, from big league sports teams to concerts to recreational activities to shopping.

So I'd say Vancouver is a better place to visit, and a better place to live if you're a young and unmarried "hip" professional who wants to live downtown. But if you have a family and want a big house and some space and privacy and pretty scenery and aren't a multimillionaire, Seattle wins easily.

Last edited by Semantics: 02-23-2013 at 02:40 AM.