HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What will the NHL Canadian TV deal look like?

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

vCash: 500
I think you guys didn't understand my point.

Harper will cut CBC funding by a number...and probably a high number (there were some newspapers writings about that).

He won't tell CBC he wants them to cut HNIC, but cutting the budget by lets say 30-40%...CBC will make it's own decisions.

And given the fact that NHL is cash-starving anything may happen.

Bell took the Olympics from CBC without any remorse (and CBC was not really happy), you don't think they would not like to take hockey aswell ?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

Harper will cut CBC funding by a number...and probably a high number (there were some newspapers writings about that).

He won't tell CBC he wants them to cut HNIC, but cutting the budget by lets say 30-40%...CBC will make it's own decisions.

Bell took the Olympics from CBC without any remorse (and CBC was not really happy), you don't think they would not like to take hockey aswell ?
Any amount of funding cut to the ceeb doesn't matter with the current contract, HNIC is profitable to them. At this point it is self-funding and actually helps the ceeb pay for their other programming.
If they bid so much that it is unprofitable for them in the future they have no business bidding that high, they have no business spending any of their annual $1 billion grant on what should be a profitable venture. If they can't make money at it, get out of the way of private industry that CAN do it profitably and return the profit to shareholders or reinvest in the business. Government shouldn't be distorting markets in this way.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

The NHL makes $200 million a year from the NBC deal and also $200 million from total Canadian broadcasters. After the new deal in Canada how much do you think will they make from Canadian TV deal(s) a year? Is it safe to say that it will be someehere between $300 Million to $400 Million?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Wingsfan2965*

After all the news of how poorly CBC was faring during the lockout, I don't think they can afford to totally lose all NHL coverage.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

You are aware that CBC won the latest Olympic rights (for 2014 and 2016) right?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...cs-rights.html

Bell isn't going to bid on the rights to the point where it is not profitable. They are a business with shareholders they are accountable for. Not sure why you think Bell will be able to bid more for the rights while remaining profitable than CBC could.

The fact CBC has partnered with TSN to provide coverage for the 2014 games pours cold water all over your theory they are out to get each other.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Shawa666

I don't know who will win it, and/or how it will be split, but I think it will go for 210-220M$ p/a, making it the most lucrative contract for the NHL. And it'll be a 5 years deal.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:52 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I don't see HNIC leaving CBC for a few reasons

1) It's tradition. There are very few hockey people who grew up NOT watching HNIC on CBC. It's comfortable. It's home. And its one of the only times non-hockey fans watch.
I like tradition too but that argument didn't hold much water the last time around -- La soirée du hockey (on SRC i.e. the French CBC) was just as storied and just as much a mainstay as HNIC, and now all Habs games are on cable.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Booom

CBC will retain the saturday night rights, 2 playoff series per round, one of the conference championships and the finals.

TSN will pick up the rest of the playoffs, retain their current package.

Sportsnet will get a less desirable national deal of some sort maybe Sundays or something along those lines.

That's how it's going to end up.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
FakeKidPoker*

We can only hope TSN loses out.. just terrible coverage.

Sure they have McKenzie and Lebrun but in these days with Twitter and everything who cares?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:15 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
HNIC stays

for playoffs...

HNIC gets 2 playoff series in the first round, 1 in the second round, 1 semifinal, cup final.

For the cup final to be on cable is like hearing the Super Bowl or the Wold Series being on cable....never happen.
Just like the Grey Cup? And the entire CFL season for that matter?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
saffronleaf

TSN - Wednesday night exclusive national broadcast
CBC - Saturday night exclusive national broadcast
SNET - Sunday night exclusive national broadcast

Playoffs will mostly be split up between TSN and CBC. It might not be worth it for SNET to get a big chunk of games in May and June considering that they are committed to airing all Blue Jays games.

I just hope that Bell & Rogers can pry away some HNIC Leafs games from CBC. I can't stand watching Hughson and Healy comment on Leafs games. They're extremely biased against the Leafs. CBC does not deserve to broadcast Leafs games anymore. Lets see how HNIC fares when you put on two small market Canadian teams, like Winnipeg vs. Ottawa.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Just like the Grey Cup? And the entire CFL season for that matter?
CFL is not the NHL.

I really don't see CBC losing Saturday nights or the finals. As long as they put in a competitive bid and aren't completely blown out of the water, the NHL should stick with CBC. You don't just toss aside a business partner that valuable and with that much history for a few extra nickels. The NHL found out the hard way what happens when you do that when they ditched FOX for ABC/ESPN. It bit them in the ass in the long run and nearly destroyed the NHL brand.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:37 AM
JuniorNelson

America does not give a damn about hockey. Hockey is behind bowling and golf for coverage. If the NHL wants to be an American sport they need to come up to American Standards for Sport! This means no more BS rule tweeking and shifting enforcement. Nobody is going to bet on a game where the officials don't like Burrows or they protect Crosby!! No betting means no following, so no TV or even interest.

The NHL is a joke and has been for many, many years. Everybody with normal human relationships will attest. Disconnected people searching for meaning instead of building it will embrace hockey and defend it to the rhetorical death. Hockey will thrive in these people's lives and co-habit their Mother's basements until they take things seriously and grow up. Hockey, I mean, not the fanboys, they'll never grow up.

Canada watches hockey because we all played it outside all winter. Got a garden hose? Build a rink! Also, Canada has nothing else. Curling? Lacrosse? So, we accept hockey without really examining how flawed it has become. Some complained when Wayne became a ward of the game and was not subjected to contact. Some objected when they moved the nets out for him to hide behind. Some objected when he began to call penalties, but not enough. So, to cash in on the Wayne, hockey sold itself. SOLD OUT!

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 02-24-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: No need for that
Old
02-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
America does not give a damn about hockey. Hockey is behind bowling and golf for coverage. If the NHL wants to be an American sport they need to come up to American Standards for Sport! This means no more BS rule tweeking and shifting enforcement. Nobody is going to bet on a game where the officials don't like Burrows or they protect Crosby!! No betting means no following, so no TV or even interest.

The NHL is a joke and has been for many, many years. Everybody with normal human relationships will attest. Disconnected people searching for meaning instead of building it will embrace hockey and defend it to the rhetorical death. Hockey will thrive in these people's lives and co-habit their Mother's basements until they take things seriously and grow up. Hockey, I mean, not the fanboys, they'll never grow up.

Canada watches hockey because we all played it outside all winter. Got a garden hose? Build a rink! Also, Canada has nothing else. Curling? Lacrosse? So, we accept hockey without really examining how flawed it has become. Some complained when Wayne became a ward of the game and was not subjected to contact. Some objected when they moved the nets out for him to hide behind. Some objected when he began to call penalties, but not enough. So, to cash in on the Wayne, hockey sold itself. SOLD OUT!
You do realize that the Heritage Classic happened first, right?

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 02-24-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Removed OP deleted portion
Old
02-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
CFL is not the NHL.

I really don't see CBC losing Saturday nights or the finals. As long as they put in a competitive bid and aren't completely blown out of the water, the NHL should stick with CBC. You don't just toss aside a business partner that valuable and with that much history for a few extra nickels. The NHL found out the hard way what happens when you do that when they ditched FOX for ABC/ESPN. It bit them in the ass in the long run and nearly destroyed the NHL brand.
First, you do realize that the CFL has turned into a huge ratings and cash cow for TSN, right?

CBC got the "competitive bid and aren't completely blown out of the water" and we'll still give you the contract deal last go round. I sure hope they don't pin their hopes on that sweetheart deal again. I'm sure the competition smell blood in the water and want to finish the job this time.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
I don't know who will win it, and/or how it will be split, but I think it will go for 210-220M$ p/a, making it the most lucrative contract for the NHL. And it'll be a 5 years deal.
Ehh. I think you're lowballing it a bit.

$20 million increase is low. Contracts typically have a big increase every time a new one comes up, and this time you have to keep in mind that a 7th Canadian team has been added.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
jigglysquishy

And potentially an eighth. I would be shocked if TSN doesn't try and double their weekly broadcasts. An NHL game every weekday is certainly attractive from a TSN point of view.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Ehh. I think you're lowballing it a bit.

$20 million increase is low. Contracts typically have a big increase every time a new one comes up, and this time you have to keep in mind that a 7th Canadian team has been added.
My guess is somewhere between $275 and $350 million for 5 years. The competitors for this contract can go high and turn their sports channels (even moreso) into 24/7 hockey during the regular season to make up for what they need to bid to get the contract.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
cjcove

i really hope cbc keeps hnic. its a Canadian classic for hockey lovers. me and many others look forward to sat nights with hnic and the leafs. it would be very sad if tsn or sportsnet ever took over saturday night

Old
02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:

The NHL is growing faster than it ever did it's bigger than in the early 90s.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:48 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

It's like me paying for TSN then being forced to watch something as big as Superbowl on CTV. Today I just discovered then even have Sportcenter on CTV. Bell is making a forced transition to CTV and soon the fees will apply.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:41 AM
vickpeterson

I know the deal expires in 2014 for CBC. Does that include the expiration of the TSN and Sportsnet deals? And since they start negotiations usually 1 year before the expiry, what month will they start negotiating?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

vCash: 625
Eh, whoever gets broadcast rights is not a concern. What is a concern is a much bigger portion of games being shifted to cable, and being a pay service. I'm sure that eventually we will have to pay a fee for service, whether it's a subscription or a pay-per-view charge.

On the other hand, the next contract probably will allow for even more games to be shown, which is what the NHL also needs with the next American broadcast contract. Having more games on television and the internet will grow the game in the US, no doubt about it.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
saskganesh

Quote:

tldr. It's all Gretzky's fault.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:40 PM
gmyx

If CBC losses out, I won't be sad. They can keep the Leafs as a regional and not loose much. It seems mostly Leaf fans are hopping for CBC to hang on.

I'd rather CTV pick them up where they can leverage TSN and company to provided much better product and coverage.

Closed Thread