HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You're missing the point of my post...

My point is to say that the term 'overpaid' is a worthless term that fans love to toss around as though it means anything.

Agreed that Prust is 'overpaid', but as long as he contributes in his own way and continues to play well, no one will care that he's overpaid.

As soon as he struggles, that's when that term, 'overpaid', will get tossed around again.

So really...what does it matter if players are overpaid? It doesn't mean a damn thing
It's similar to how people talk of the cap. Sometimes it's as if people rather have cap space than players, even if that space never ends up being used.

Overpaid changes from 1 year to the other as the revenues increase, otherwise, pretty much the whole league is overpaid. I get tangled up sometimes with this word as well.

But what I focus on is more the years, rather than the cash. A 4 year commitment to someone that eats punches throughout the year is pretty long. 2.5M represents close to nothing of the cap, so really, who cares if he's overpaid and we could have saved 1M. I just think 10M for 4y is a lot for a player of his role.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Not saying Prust has a great hockey IQ but it's way higher than White's. Don't get me wrong, I like White but Prust is a way better and more complete hockey player.

I don't even understand how this is debatable.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Slashers98

The Canadiens Playing With a High Level Of Prust
http://thehockeywriters.com/the-cana...evel-of-prust/

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Bullsmith

To me you have to evaluate Prust in the context of what the team needed, and what they had to pay to get him. Frankly, I was ready to watch the team tank again (although it's a lot more fun watching them play well) but I was sick of watching them get shoved around. We needed toughness that could play, not just a heavyweight who can't. There aren't a hell of a lot of players with Prust's package of toughness, smarts and decent skill. Not saying he's anything like a skill player but he skates well, knows his role and is incredibly versatile. Plus he's very good on the PK.

Given how perfectly he fit the team's needs, I'd much rather seeing us give him too much money and giving up zero talent than trading for a player with a smaller cap hit. Buffallo gave up Derek Roy to get Steve Ott, that's a big price to pay.

Maybe years from now I'll regret the Prust contract, but I honestly doubt it. To me he's exactly what the team needed. We still need more toughness, especially on D, but Prust is absolutely part of why this team is playing better. He's a pleasure to watch, and I'm not pretending he's anything other than a very good fourth liner who can fill in on the third.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
To me you have to evaluate Prust in the context of what the team needed, and what they had to pay to get him. Frankly, I was ready to watch the team tank again (although it's a lot more fun watching them play well) but I was sick of watching them get shoved around. We needed toughness that could play, not just a heavyweight who can't. There aren't a hell of a lot of players with Prust's package of toughness, smarts and decent skill. Not saying he's anything like a skill player but he skates well, knows his role and is incredibly versatile. Plus he's very good on the PK.

Given how perfectly he fit the team's needs, I'd much rather seeing us give him too much money and giving up zero talent than trading for a player with a smaller cap hit. Buffallo gave up Derek Roy to get Steve Ott, that's a big price to pay.

Maybe years from now I'll regret the Prust contract, but I honestly doubt it. To me he's exactly what the team needed. We still need more toughness, especially on D, but Prust is absolutely part of why this team is playing better. He's a pleasure to watch, and I'm not pretending he's anything other than a very good fourth liner who can fill in on the third.
To me...Prust = Neil

I believe Neil's salary cap hit is 2M...if Chris Neil hits the open market, he's making at least 2.5M as well.

Yes overpaid for what they produce on the ice in terms of points, but those types of players are so rare, you're paying for intangibles

On a team like the Habs that's desperately lacked this edge in their game...it's the price to pay.

But it's not crippling, it's not preventing the Habs from icing a competitive lineup...so I don't see what the problem is

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
To me...Prust = Neil

I believe Neil's salary cap hit is 2M...if Chris Neil hits the open market, he's making at least 2.5M as well.

Yes overpaid for what they produce on the ice in terms of points, but those types of players are so rare, you're paying for intangibles

On a team like the Habs that's desperately lacked this edge in their game...it's the price to pay.

But it's not crippling, it's not preventing the Habs from icing a competitive lineup...so I don't see what the problem is
I find it ludicrous how so many people don't have a clue about over paying players that are UFA. Seems like we are always on the same page 417!

The guy makes a whopping 4% of our cap hit next year, what are people *****ing about? The guy is 29 in March and will be UFA again at 33. His career is not on the decline, he will be this good (let's not discuss intangibles) if not better in the coming years and let's not forget the cap can not go down from 64.3 and most likely go up if the Habs and Leafs make the playoffs.

Bringing in Prust finally helps Moen get back to hockey that he is comfortable with. I like Moens toughness but he really isn't the in your face kind of guy, he is more the protector than the agitator. Add to this we have White that is totally ready to do whatever it takes to be in the lineup, and we now have players on every line that will not be pushed around (Cole, Max, Bourque, Prust, Moen, White). I always felt that our guys were always hung out to dry when we had to play physical with players like Mike C and Andrei K (as much as I liked them, not finishing your checks ALL the time and they weren't very intimidating (yes I know AK hit, but I didn't always feel like he left 100% on the ice))

Prust at 2.5 is an "overpayment" but sometimes you do what you have to do to make your team better. This is not a Mike Komisarek, Wade Redden, Jeff Finger overpayment. Points will never tell you the story of Brandon Prust. He is the style of player that the Habs needed to rejuvenate this team, and so far he has fit right in.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post

Wow! I can't beleive how close that is to this article posted yesterday: In Brandon we Prust, to which I linked on this very forum:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post60127993

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

^ he probably would have used your pic.

the article is structured and written like he went through your article and made a check list of point you made in yours. and then re-wrote it in 8th grade english, in mixed up order. it's all over the place and makes me think i could make money writing ******** on the internet too. never heard of fred poulin, but for a supposed translator, he's a frakin hack as he can't even translate english into enlgish.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post

"On July 1st 2012 when it was announced that the Montreal Canadiens had signed gritty forward Brendon Prust to a four deal worth $10 million, most Canadiens fans did not even know who he was and why he was given so much money for what he brings to the table."
At most Habs fans didn't know who Prust was.
Most Hab fans know more about other teams players than other teams fans know their own players.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
"On July 1st 2012 when it was announced that the Montreal Canadiens had signed gritty forward Brendon Prust to a four deal worth $10 million, most Canadiens fans did not even know who he was and why he was given so much money for what he brings to the table."
At most Habs fans didn't know who Prust was.
Most Hab fans know more about other teams players than other teams fans know their own players.
Most Habs fans do no visit this board. There are lots of "casual" Habs/hockey fans out there.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM

What Prust did to defend Eller yesterday is not measured in stats or dollar signs...

Just something to remember when we're crying about how 'overpaid' he is...

I've missed this type of attitude on the Habs...it's been way too long.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Is prust hurt? I've seen tweets suggesting that he's not necessarily penciled into saturday's lineup. Would suck to have him out.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Is prust hurt? I've seen tweets suggesting that he's not necessarily penciled into saturday's lineup. Would suck to have him out.
He caught a shot on the PK I think...might be that. 3rd period I think.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
what prust did to defend eller yesterday is not measured in stats or dollar signs...

I've missed this type of attitude on the habs...it's been way too long.

x1000000

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
To me...Prust = Neil

Great comparison. Not that they're the same player, but they bring so much value beyond their strict hockey skills. They are rare commodities even if they only play limited minutes. On the open market you have to overpay to get them. Would I overpay for Neil, especially a few years ago? In a heartbeat.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:21 PM
AntonCH

Multi-year deals tend to be a little high in year one and usually a bargain in year four, five etc
assuming steady play from the player start to finish. That's why they call it the UFA contract. It's been designed to benerfit the player and not the team or the cap-space hungry armchair GM.
Up until now imho Prust has been a breath of fresh air, i have no issue with any aspect of his contract. He can play the game and throw 'em at the same time. One can argue that he fills 2 needs in one body.
To put things in perspective, what value would Nilan have in today's game on the open market? 2.5 - 3 - 3.5?
It's a decent contract for what he brings, considering the youth we'll have rolling thru here over the next few years, well worth it if you ask me.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Multi-year deals tend to be a little high in year one and usually a bargain in year four, five etc
assuming steady play from the player start to finish.
That's why they call it the UFA contract. It's been designed to benerfit the player and not the team or the cap-space hungry armchair GM.
Up until now imho Prust has been a breath of fresh air, i have no issue with any aspect of his contract. He can play the game and throw 'em at the same time. One can argue that he fills 2 needs in one body.
To put things in perspective, what value would Nilan have in today's game on the open market? 2.5 - 3 - 3.5?
It's a decent contract for what he brings, considering the youth we'll have rolling thru here over the next few years, well worth it if you ask me.
In the past you would have been right, but this is an exceptional time. With the new CBA, year 1 is probably the highest the cap will be during Prust's contract. In years 2 & 3, the cap will be significantly lower.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
In the past you would have been right, but this is an exceptional time. With the new CBA, year 1 is probably the highest the cap will be during Prust's contract. In years 2 & 3, the cap will be significantly lower.
The season was saved. watch hockey grow as quickly as it has in the past in order to get back to where it was and beyond.
With all the angst the fans were going thru and the boycotts they were threatening the bell centre looked pretty full to me monday night.
This year to next year you are absolutely right, we'll see where we are by year 4

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
What Prust did to defend Eller yesterday is not measured in stats or dollar signs...

I've missed this type of attitude on the Habs...it's been way too long.
Kostopoulos did it and even if people acknowledged it, he was still made fun of.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:21 AM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Prust

isn't he the type of player we have lacked since knuckles Nilan? Brandon plays a smart game - skate well - hits - fights! His PK time is a bonus AND I loved him tonight with Plecks+Gionta - what a great line! Makes me want to clone PRUSTY!! (what line can he NOT help?)

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:23 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

But he's overpaid

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:26 AM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
But he's overpaid

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:29 AM
NewHabsEra*

There is very lttle not to like about this team this year.. Prust was indeed an amazing signing..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:36 AM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Kostopoulos did it and even if people acknowledged it, he was still made fun of.
that would be because the only fight kostopoulos ever won was when a guy broke his ankle during the fight

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Gros Bonhomme
Benoit Brunet #1 Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Gros Bonhomme
Prust will be on 'Tout le monde en parles' this sunday.

Gros Bonhomme is offline   Reply With Quote