HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aebischer to Florida (Rumors)

Old
07-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
We should keep Aebi for now. We need to see if Huet's for real, and we may be able to exploit another team's goaltending injuries later on and get more return.

I can't see us getting an established player for Aebi any way you look at it. It will be a middle-of-the-road prospect or a pick, IMO.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
I wouldn't trade Souray straight up for Brewer why?

Because of all the Intangibles Souray brings...

My #1 Reason is

Whenever someone f's with a habs player and Souray is on the ice, he will not let it slide, Komisared picked up on that, and so did Rivet...with souray gone... who's gonna lead in that department? cuz buddy is it ever important...
You're 100% right. He's not a superheavyweight, but Souray is an enforcer in the classic sense of the word. Komi's getting there, and Rivet tries (although he's not that intimidating), but no one else on the Habs keeps opponents honest like Souray does.

Sheldon is vastly underappreciated on this board. Every other team in the leage would take him at his salary in a heartbeat.

Old
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
We should keep Aebi for now. We need to see if Huet's for real, and we may be able to exploit another team's goaltending injuries later on and get more return.

I can't see us getting an established player for Aebi any way you look at it. It will be a middle-of-the-road prospect or a pick, IMO.
100% with you on this one.
If by christmas Huet is still top of the line and Danis is winning is share of game in the AHL, we can ditch Abby and Souray for a top D-Man.
If Huet is crashing down in flame (it will really surprise me but we never know...) put Abby in the net and cross your finger...

I think we are in good position for our goaltender and I am not so eager to trade one or the other.

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:32 AM
kevinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
wont trade? how did you reach this conclusion?

Anyway...Aebischer+a good prospect for Buowmeester. If
indeed we have to trade Souray.
We'll be lucky to get a pick in a salary dump for Abby. Get in the real world people.

kevinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Could Florida also be interested in Ryder? The rumour last year was that Luongo was comming here for Theodore AND Ryder...

So a Aebischer/Ryder could get us a great player...but I don't know who would be available from a Panthers point of view...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Marksman

Quote:
wont trade? how did you reach this conclusion?

Anyway...Aebischer+a good prospect for Buowmeester. If indeed we have to trade Souray.
Just dont put that on Trade Board ... Bouwmeester is their franchise player now after Luongo was moved - and they are not in similar situation with him (not yet anyway). It would take a lot more than average starting goaltender and prospect to get him.

---

In case we indeed have to send Souray away, would love Habs to get Bryan Allen for Aebischer.

He does not have the shot Souray has, but could supply us with physical play and we would have guarantees keeping him for awhile.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Bryzga lol*

As it stands right now, there's what? less than 5 teams that need a starter

Florida: If they don't have confidence in Auld, they still need a backup at least
Detroit: They seem to be interested in a proven star, hense their interest in Hasek and Belfour
St Louis: They're after Legacy, and they've got Sanford and Bachashiua (sp?) who are both looking like good NHL goalies.

I can't think of any more teams... and if you look at the list of potential starting/backup goalies who are considered tradebait or UFA (Biron, Nabokov/Toskala, Abby, Legacy, Hasek, Belfour, Giguère, Mason, Aubin/Tellqvist?), there's no teams to accomadate all these goalies.

So I think Montreal's best option would be to keep Abby to make sure Huet is the real deal until December or January, at this point in the season, hopefully several teams will have detected goaltending problems (like Colorado, Toronto or even Montreal had last season at one point), and will be willing to make generous offers for Abby, if his stock stays high as Huet's backup.

We won't get any good offers for Abby in the offseason because just about every team has faith that their current goaltending situation is ok, but that'll change come next year's midseason.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
We won't get any good offers for Abby in the offseason because just about every team has faith that their current goaltending situation is ok, but that'll change come next year's midseason.
Exactly...and that change could be with us.

Old
07-14-2006, 11:46 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
We'll be lucky to get a pick in a salary dump for Abby. Get in the real world people.
Hey *** read my post....
Aebi PLUS a good pick

ex: Aebi + Kostsisyn. If you think that wont get us anything good...get a clue.
Anyway this is just a starting block. If you have to add picks and stuff.....well just add them. I'm just saying if we have to make a move with Aebi we'll need to add something with him to get something back.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Bob in Niagara

I would definitely attempt to see what we can get for him. There are some teams still needing goaltending help. Even if we can package him up with something else, let's do it now. He is an expendable asset. We still need hep elsewhere.

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Holland was on the radio today and said the deal with Belfour seems to be stalled. He said he'd look at trading for a goalie now.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:15 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I, am even more accurate then Teh Code.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

Code hasn't been following hockey long enough to fully understand the game. He seems to sniff around and repeat gossip that he says is from the horse's mouth. I'll believe his rumor only when it's confirmed. It's a bit early to start fitting CH uniforms for Florida players.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Hey *** read my post....
Aebi PLUS a good pick

ex: Aebi + Kostsisyn. If you think that wont get us anything good...get a clue.
Anyway this is just a starting block. If you have to add picks and stuff.....well just add them. I'm just saying if we have to make a move with Aebi we'll need to add something with him to get something back.
If the point of the deal is to get Aebischer to Florida, they're hanging up the second you start talking about their good players. Aebischer + Kostitsyn for something good (that wouldn't come close to landing J-Bo, by the way) is not an Aebischer to Florida proposal, it's a rebuilding move for Florida. The premise here is that Florida want a little goaltending help, so that's all I see them looking for.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
wildone26*

Abby and Huet should compete for the starting job next year. If Abby struggles then give Huet a chance to start, but have them compete, and keep both around to see who is better.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Code hasn't been following hockey long enough to fully understand the game. He seems to sniff around and repeat gossip that he says is from the horse's mouth. I'll believe his rumor only when it's confirmed. It's a bit early to start fitting CH uniforms for Florida players.
once again , Code isn't trying to have the big scoop of a trade , but gives insides informations of the talks betwen the teams . When he doesn't know about something , he just says it .

He already talked before they were annonced , the signing of Shanahan, Bell and Poti , to their respective team . He also talk about Zednik to be deal , but didn't know for where . Not too bad already .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Marchy79

Many posts are done around here with little to no hope of Aebischer being a # 1 goalie... Or not worth # 1 goalie return... I get the point that he had a so-so season in Colorado (I am not even judging his performance here, he didnt play enough to constitute a good or bad performance wise)...

However he wasnt the worst starting goaltender out there last year, and was stellar in the Olympic games for Switzerland. I believe Aebischer to be underrated since the trade, as the backlash hit him (because he was coming over not as the #1, but more as the #2 and salary dump for Theo).

Comparing Huet to Aebischer last year, well simply is not fair for David... Huet was the best save % goaltender in the league, but Aebi didnt fare THAT BADLY (27th).

We learned with Theo, that seasons CAN BE aberrations, and or even streaky (i.e. one good year, one bad)... We arent in a position where our hand is absolutely forced to make a deal, so if we arent being offered any return of value, it may be more wise to keep Aebi around, cause if Huet falters, Aebi is very competent at being a very quality netminder himself...

Florida, in order to get Aebi, would have to start with something of value. We arent talking about a 36 year old goaltender with a few years left, we are talking of a goaltender who has grown out of his coccoon, and is ready to blossom in to his prime years. Why would we give that up for a second rounder NOW... when both netminders have history of giving us a good reason to keep them both around. Huet for his performance here, Aebi for his performance there...

One of them will win the role out by January... personally I dont mind either one, just hopefully they are playing really well though

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Ghost of Saku

Huet is not getting paid his salary to sit on the bench so no I don't think there's any truth to him and Abby "fighting it out" for the top spot. Carbo merely said that to remain positive which is what most good coaches do when addressing the media. Why do you think Theo got so much playing time during his slump? Simply because having 5 million dollars sitting on the bench makes the organization and the front office look ridiulous.

Abby WILL be dealt along with his 1.9$ million salary (which is way too much for a backup) packaged with Souray and whoever else for the trade Souray is looking for, case closed. It just makes sense!

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Habsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
I, am even more accurate then Teh Code.
Yes but your spelling and grammar is the same as the Codes.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:28 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
We can just hope...that a defenceman will be going our way...

We still lack of a good top 4 dman imo.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Many posts are done around here with little to no hope of Aebischer being a # 1 goalie... Or not worth # 1 goalie return... I get the point that he had a so-so season in Colorado (I am not even judging his performance here, he didnt play enough to constitute a good or bad performance wise)...

However he wasnt the worst starting goaltender out there last year, and was stellar in the Olympic games for Switzerland. I believe Aebischer to be underrated since the trade, as the backlash hit him (because he was coming over not as the #1, but more as the #2 and salary dump for Theo).

Comparing Huet to Aebischer last year, well simply is not fair for David... Huet was the best save % goaltender in the league, but Aebi didnt fare THAT BADLY (27th).

We learned with Theo, that seasons CAN BE aberrations, and or even streaky (i.e. one good year, one bad)... We arent in a position where our hand is absolutely forced to make a deal, so if we arent being offered any return of value, it may be more wise to keep Aebi around, cause if Huet falters, Aebi is very competent at being a very quality netminder himself...

Florida, in order to get Aebi, would have to start with something of value. We arent talking about a 36 year old goaltender with a few years left, we are talking of a goaltender who has grown out of his coccoon, and is ready to blossom in to his prime years. Why would we give that up for a second rounder NOW... when both netminders have history of giving us a good reason to keep them both around. Huet for his performance here, Aebi for his performance there...

One of them will win the role out by January... personally I dont mind either one, just hopefully they are playing really well though
Excellent post. Abby was also very good in his last 3 starts of the year. He deserves the chance to start, as does Huet. There should be an open competition for the job. If Abby struggles, and Huet capatlizes with some good starts he should be allowed to be the starter as he was last year. Abby deserves the chance every bit as much though.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
Excellent post. Abby was also very good in his last 3 starts of the year. He deserves the chance to start, as does Huet. There should be an open competition for the job. If Abby struggles, and Huet capatlizes with some good starts he should be allowed to be the starter as he was last year. Abby deserves the chance every bit as much though.
Agreed

Itès funny how nobody mentiones that Aebi was the one who was beating the division leaders last year... He took em out twice. He lost some bad games, (ahem... Pittsburgh) however those others should of equalled them out... Huet was incredible last year... lets not kid ourselves. His 0.929 S% was tops in the entire show, and he kept it going throughout the playoff run... We had a consistent performance in the playoffs by our goalie for the first time in a very long time

However, that level of play performed by Huet last year was very incredible... what was so crazy about it was to me, was the fact he didnt have very many poor games AT ALL... He played well in just about every game I watched where he started... Does that consistency stay around... or what if his weak spot is figured out... They definately figured out Theodorès Lateral problem in the Boston series... Either way, these are questions that need to be answered...

Rollie himself said that Aebi is the more technically sound goaltender...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
I agree......no rush to trade him........We actually might really need him......Huet has only played for 1 year.

They should be competing for#1
Yeah lets not make the mistake Boston keeps making and always relying on a rookie goalkeeper. Although I think that considering Huet's experience there's not much to worry about.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Sthabs

Aebi was 25-14 before he joined the Habs
2005-2006 Avalanche 43 25 14 0 3 SO 2.98 .900
So he wasnt bad at all

I m all for keeping him here and play the hot goalie
Because if Huet s not as good as last year, and Aebi is out, we re in trouble
On the other hand if they re both good as some said by december he should worth a lot more than now...

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:14 PM
RC51

I want Horton that's it.

if they don't want then stop calling Gainey for a freebee.

Gainey should slam the phone so they get the picture.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote