HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 06:47 AM
SpItFiReZ

vCash: 500
Marchese, Koekoek done for season
Bateman, Seiloff done for season it sounds as Calgary doesn't want to risk further injury and Windsor same with Bateman.
Bilcke still isn't 100%.

16 straight games of playing under 20 guys as per paper.
Graham, Brown, Percy all close to 9 game limits

Old
02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Do the Spits

Have any draft picks left over the next couple of years, would the CHL take their bid for the Memorial Cup seriously after their sanctions by the league.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Marchese, Koekoek done for season
Bateman, Seiloff done for season it sounds as Calgary doesn't want to risk further injury and Windsor same with Bateman.
Bilcke still isn't 100%.

16 straight games of playing under 20 guys as per paper.
Graham, Brown, Percy all close to 9 game limits
They'll be hard pressed to win more than a couple of their remaining games. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose them all. Obviously the best bets would be the two games against Erie. I can't see them beating London, Plymouth or Owen Sound with this depleted roster. Some of those games are going to be down right ugly.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
SpItFiReZ

Graham, Percy, McNaughton are scratched tonight as well as marchese koek Verbeek Seiloff who have injuries.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Libbs

15 skaters... yikes!

No wonder this team is running out of gas.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
SpItFiReZ

Vail screened DeKort on that first goal. 2nd goal was just weird.

I feel bad for Bowen. They play call ups and forwards before him. Guy is a team player....let the kid play.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:34 PM
KyGuy9

Sounded like a fun game overall!

Needed this offensive blowout.

And Rychel had 5 points - and tied last year's point total in 10 less games. Big game for the 1st line and powerplay.

Congrats to Graeme Brown for his first 2 OHL points, and first goal and assist.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:20 AM
OHLTG

Finally get a chance to sit down and give some details on this one (been a busy, busy night):

- I firmly believed the Otters had a horseshoe strategically placed somewhere in a player for the first 30 min of this game. Either that or the WFCU is haunted. Either one is a viable option. I've never seen Windsor have that many golden opportunities have something alter them like I did tonight. We could have had an open net, and it'd bounce over our stick. Or had a player's skate lace stop a pass. It was to the point where even the players looked like they were confused as to what was going on.

- Erie stayed right with them and the Windsor defence got a bit flustered at times. There wasn't much communication on two of the first three Erie goals; players behind the net passing out front and nobody telling DeKort it was the wrong direction, or a pass that bounced over DeKort (as he's standing) and he didn't know where it went (in the net). Just the strangest plays, despite Windsor really out-shooting them.

- Once the Spits got going, though, they were fine. Tying it up, then taking the lead in the third seemed to settle them down, but it rattled Otters' goaltender Devon Williams. He was letting in some goals I'm sure he'd like back. The crowd was electric and that didn't help his cause, either.

- The Spits seemed determined from the get-go and actually played close to 60-minutes. They refused to accept anything less than 100% effort, which was nice to see. Even when it was late, they were skating hard, trying to get to that open net.

- Props to Rychel for a five-point game. We were laughing in the third because it seemed like he was in on every goal. "We're waiting for Erie to score and Rychel to get an assist!"

- Speaking of props...Graeme Brown!! I've liked this kid since he was called up and I think he's got a serious future. Took a nice pass from Koko (I believe) and scored his first OHL goal. Added an assist before that. Well-deserved first star.

- I like what the team is doing, giving DeKort the extra starts. I know WHY they're doing it, but I like the fact he's getting the time. I feel bad for Pavelka, as this season has been far from his fault, but, at the same time, DeKort is the man next year. He's going to get the majority now and I have no issues with that. Heck, maybe we see Pavelka get one last start in Plymouth and go crazy on someone

- Not sure why Clark and Crisp went at it, but I'm going to miss Clark. Not the best fighter you'll see, but man is he willing and he can really throw when he gets going. Plus, he's been showing some more offence since the deadline. I kind of wish we had him since his rookie year.

- Speaking of going at it...end of the second, a scrum begins near the Windsor bench. Who separate and looked like they were about to go? Ho-Sang and McDavid. Don't know what exactly was going on, but I thought for sure we were about to witness one of the most unlikely fights in the O this season.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
etr102

There was an FSN Detroit camera crew in the aisle between 109 and 110 last night. Any idea why they would have been there? Do the Red Wings have any prospects that would have been on the ice last night?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Spitsfan67*

“We knew we had to win this one,” Aleardi said. “We went into the locker-room and basically said, ‘Boys you have to man up. We’re short staffed, we don’t have a lot of players, but you have to dig deep.’

“You have to have the willpower to win that game and we did that.”

I laughed out loud at this comment, yea you sure needed the win but you also HAD to beat teams like Ottawa who are one of the worst teams and same goes with Kingston who were on a 12 game losing streak and they obviously needed to atleast split the back to back games with the spirit.... and he said they have to have the will power to win, well where the hell was it the previous 5 games?...

Dekort played terable but he should still get 5 or 6 games the rest of the season because this is his try-out for next season the coaching staff wants to see how he will perform when he gets put in the net on a consistant game to game basis and see how he holds up, see if he can steal any games.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Happy to see Spits snap 5 game losing streak,nice to see Brown get his 1st OHL goal and assist,he looks better every game,appears to have bright future
Teams did not appear to want to play defense at all,lots of offense
Not that he played poorly but probably the quietest 5 pt night by Kirby I have seen in awhile

Old
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Crottenham

Question for you Windsor fans who have now watched him all year, from someone who watched him all through his minor hockey days?

Is Ho Sang a player that you can build your team aroudn going forward? Thanks.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Question for you Windsor fans who have now watched him all year, from someone who watched him all through his minor hockey days?

Personally idk if he is "the" player you can build around but he definetly can be a huge piece of a core that you can build around... I dont think building around 1 player is the way to go i mean look at the two mem cup teams there wasent just that one player there was a huge core of impact players and thats what it will take, they need to bring in another threatening forward going into next season to go with Ho-Sang and Kirby wheather its through a big trade or some how getting an impact player in the import draft....

Old
02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post

From a skill perspective yes,leadership abilities I am not so sure,he has to learn to use
his team mates more,handles the puck for too long,has great instincts on ice wise
needs to utilize them
Does not strike me as a fire in the belly type of guy,willing to do anything to lead
his team to victory,ie block shots,take a hit,give a hit,rather then great individual
plays
He needs to strengthen up to be more effective going forward,too easily pushed
off the puck or dissuaded from engaging in puck battles

Old
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Crottenham

Thanks all!

Old
02-22-2013, 03:47 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
There was an FSN Detroit camera crew in the aisle between 109 and 110 last night. Any idea why they would have been there? Do the Red Wings have any prospects that would have been on the ice last night?
Conner McDavid.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Section103

Dekort looked horrible.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
SpItFiReZ

I don't think he was that bad. First goal screened, 2nd goal fluke. Terrible rebound control last night ill give you that.

Also came up with some huge pad saves or game would of been around 8-8

Old
02-22-2013, 04:32 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Dekort looked horrible.
Horrible or not he's all they have at the moment. Expect them to run him out there in virtually every game. They need to find out if he can handle the pressure because there is no way Pavelka is back next season.
The help wanted sign will be hanging out there if it isn't already.

IMHO the question is not whether DeKort can handle the workload but whether Pavelka can handle the bench.

Last edited by punch1943: 02-22-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Horrible or not he's all they have at the moment. Expect them to run him out there in virtually every game. They need to find out if he can handle the pressure because there is no way Pavelka is back next season.
The help wanted sign will be hanging out there if it isn't already.

IMHO the question is not whether DeKort can handle the workload but whether Pavelka can handle the bench.
I hear you.

But IMHO, I'm about as sold on Dekort as I was on Hunter Smith.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:30 PM
SpItFiReZ

I've been trying to find the positives about Studnicka but there aren't any. He is one of the worst players in the OHL.

Weaknesses: draws, physicality, hands, passing, IQ etc etc
Pro's: Decent skater, hustles (usually)

Koko even raised his arms to signal "WTF" to Studnicka after he missed Koko with a pass that wasn't even close.

EDIT: Gave away the puck for a 1-0 Plymouth lead.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Spitsfan67*

LOL Dekort is not the answer I don't care what his age is, there has only been one game where I was happy the spits drafted his and that was against the storm... I mean the kid looks scared in the net at least that's my impression of him... And unless he drastically improves he cannot be the guy next year.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
LOL Dekort is not the answer I don't care what his age is, there has only been one game where I was happy the spits drafted his and that was against the storm... I mean the kid looks scared in the net at least that's my impression of him... And unless he drastically improves he cannot be the guy next year.
I sure hope he's not the guy for next year

Old
02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
OHLTG

I'm sure all of us could do much better if we were in DeKort's skates, right? I mean, he's a seasoned veteran who should be an all-star.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm sure all of us could do much better if we were in DeKort's skates, right? I mean, he's a seasoned veteran who should be an all-star.
That's one of the weirder things you've said (and I usually agree with your posts).

Nobody said he can't improve, but as it stands... he's not very impressive, and I sure hope Rychel has a plan.

Closed Thread