HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Somethings gotta give in Toronto.. Carolina?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

vCash: 500
JR loves Liles. Wouldn't shock me at all if that's who he is going after.

Him and Ehrhoff are two guys he's always wanted but has never been able to land.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I never said Fraser was bad, Fraser is awesome. HOLZER being good and steady/blah blah blah is a myth. The guy is awful.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#
Look at those numbers.

Next week.

I don't care about his points, he's playing poorly as a defensive dman. It's that simple.
Why doesn't Holzer's plus minus correlate with his corsi? with such a bad corsi you would expect a worse plus minus but instead we kostka and phaneuf with worse plus minuses. Holzer may give up a lot of shots but if they're all perimeter shots i'd take that all day compared to a D with amazing corsi but gives up 5 quality chances a night.

Quality of competition also needs to be factored in.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
Why doesn't Holzer's plus minus correlate with his corsi? with such a bad corsi you would expect a worse plus minus but instead we kostka and phaneuf with worse plus minuses. Holzer may give up a lot of shots but if they're all perimeter shots i'd take that all day compared to a D with amazing corsi but gives up 5 quality chances a night.

Quality of competition also needs to be factored in.
Phaneuf/Kostka pairing just didn't work out too well in the early goings of the season. Since they've been switched off from each other they have been much better.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Jamie McBain, Victor Rask, Riley Nash, 2nd round pick 2013 for John-Michael Liles, Carl Gunnarsson, Clarke MacArthur

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Phaneuf/Kostka pairing just didn't work out too well in the early goings of the season. Since they've been switched off from each other they have been much better.
the idea that corsi alone determines whether a player is playing well or not without looking at
+\- is wrong. If those two stats don't correlate then third variables are also in play. Context is incredibly important.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
I never said Fraser was bad, Fraser is awesome. HOLZER being good and steady/blah blah blah is a myth. The guy is awful.
Look at those numbers.

Next week.

I don't care about his points, he's playing poorly as a defensive dman. It's that simple.
Disagree.

1) Those numbers don't mean he's awful, they mean he gets outshot when he's on the ice and thats hardly a decisive indicator of a defensive d-man's effectiveness 2) Sample size is too small to really gauge just how badly he gets outshot. In the long run he will likely average out to something close to Phaneuf's corsi numbers (-12.6). 3) Back to Phaneuf. The two are paired together and we already know Phaneuf plays against the opposition's best players, therefore Holzer must be too (20th toughest minutes in the NHL to be exact, as per behindthenet). 4) Holzer has good speed and has been using his long reach very well. For a defenseman who is playing his first few games in the NHL I'd argue he's been playing very well, steadily improving.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
seanlinden

I think the difficulty in making any trade right now for Nonis, is that you have to improve your team.

Yes, JML is a healthy scratch, but given an injury or two he could be a reasonably important defenceman again. The team is sitting basically on the edge of a playoff spot... and you're going to start clearing out bodies for picks/prospects?? It's certainly not the right move, from an optics perspective.

Then you've gotta ask yourself, how can you improve in a deal with Carolina? There doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Toronto's issue this year has been that they haven't been able to win a high-scoring game... beyond the Staals, who on the Canes can actually make a difference?

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
jeromeo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Jamie McBain, Victor Rask, Riley Nash, 2nd round pick 2013 for John-Michael Liles, Carl Gunnarsson, Clarke MacArthur
How about you keep Liles and we keep McBain?

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Not anymore he isn't. Defensively Phaneuf, Holzer, Fraser and Franson are much more dependable.

Maybe the Canes would go for a 2nd. Gunnar doesn't have the greatest value at the moment.
Your opinion. It's contrary to most others.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Badger Mayhew

I'd love to get Victor Rask as the return for a defenseman, but is he available Canes fans?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:45 PM
jeromeo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I'd love to get Victor Rask as the return for a defenseman, but is he available Canes fans?
..maybe? It would have to be for a very reliable dman.

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
How about you keep Liles and we keep McBain?
So

Rask + Nash + 2013 2nd

for

Gunnarson + Macarthur

It`s a pretty reasonable offer. I think both Macarthur and Gunnarson are worth roughly a 2nd + a prospect, so I think we might be able to get more value than that moving them separately, especially closer to the trade deadline.

How about this:

Rask + 2013 2nd + Daniel Altshuller + 2013 5th round pick

Nash really doesn`t interest me at all.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Velvet Hammer View Post
Why do we trade arguable our best d-man last year for a pick when we need him... he might not be healthy, but when he is he's a beast...

that makes 0 sense, to trade a good d for a pick, are we rebuilding? do we have an abundance or carl gunnarson?? we can several liles' and kostka's but 1 gunnar.
Carl Gunnarsson is brutal... even when healthy. Liles is far, far, far better than him in pretty much every aspect

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Look at those numbers.

Next week.

He's some numbers for you --

Leafs are 7-4 since he's been called up. 7-3 since he started to get time with Phaneuf.

Prior to his arrival Dion was a -6 paired with Kosta. In the games since Dion is even. Dion had 1 point in his first 8 games. 8 points in his last 10 paired with Holzer.

Fact: Dion plays much better paired with a big physical defender, just like he played his best hockey with Aulie.

I understand Corsi is the know all stat and trumps winning but lets pretend winning is important for a sec and we can live with a poor Corsi.

One other number for you -- 1.81 -- that's the Leafs goals against in the games Holzer has played.

So if it ain;t broke, lets find someone to blame and break it.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:57 PM
birddog*

Liles is the logical choice since Gardiner is waiting in the wings. It makes sense to move some salary and get some flexibility back.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:28 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
JR loves Liles. Wouldn't shock me at all if that's who he is going after.

Him and Ehrhoff are two guys he's always wanted but has never been able to land.
Victor Rask for Liles?

Itd probably be a 2nd otherwise but I feel like Rask is decent enough return, for me, I donno about Canes fans.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's some numbers for you --

Leafs are 7-4 since he's been called up. 7-3 since he started to get time with Phaneuf.

Prior to his arrival Dion was a -6 paired with Kosta. In the games since Dion is even. Dion had 1 point in his first 8 games. 8 points in his last 10 paired with Holzer.

Fact: Dion plays much better paired with a big physical defender, just like he played his best hockey with Aulie.

I understand Corsi is the know all stat and trumps winning but lets pretend winning is important for a sec and we can live with a poor Corsi.

One other number for you -- 1.81 -- that's the Leafs goals against in the games Holzer has played.

So if it ain;t broke, lets find someone to blame and break it.
This is the only argument for Holzer as far as I'm concerned. We've been winning and he's the type of presence that Phaneuf needs. I challenge you guys to watch him closely, he looks clumsy all around in my opinion.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Anth93

Does Carolina really need Liles though? Seems like they need a Gunnarsson more than anything.. Although consider he'll be playing with hip discomfort all season (probably operated on this summer), I doubt a team touches him..

Old
02-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
was listening to Dreger on TSN 1050 this morning. Dreger is confident that Nonis will need to make a move sooner rather then later. With a surplus of depth on the backend and bodies soon to come off the IR.

He mentioned that Carolina is "scouring" the market for a depth defenseman and Toronto makes a lot of sense, with Liles and Komisarek now being healthy scratches on a nightly basis.

Steve Simmonds hinted that he could see Liles going with some salary retained by Toronto... (but i wouldnt look into simmonds)
Why on earth should Toronto retain some salary for Liles in a deal with Carolina, aka a playoff competitor? I'd rather starve them out than give concessions in a deal that could easily be made with a team in the West.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
birddog*

Quote:
This is the only argument for Holzer as far as I'm concerned. We've been winning and he's the type of presence that Phaneuf needs. I challenge you guys to watch him closely, he looks clumsy all around in my opinion.
He isn't smooth but he's a big body that isn't shy about contact. one of the few defencemen I've seen in recent years that will actually clear the crease for the Leafs. Fraser being the other. Always disturbing to watch guys like Komisarik, Liles,and others stands there while guys take pokes at the tenders.

Both him and Fraser aren't pretty moving the puck but they battle like warriors in the corners and in front.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Stephen

To me, it doesn't make sense for the Leafs to be helping out any team in the East with NHL ready bodies when they are in direct competition for a playoff spot with them...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He isn't smooth but he's a big body that isn't shy about contact. one of the few defencemen I've seen in recent years that will actually clear the crease for the Leafs. Fraser being the other. Always disturbing to watch guys like Komisarik, Liles,and others stands there while guys take pokes at the tenders.

Both him and Fraser aren't pretty moving the puck but they battle like warriors in the corners and in front.
Pretty funny how we draft Schenn and sign Komisarek, but it's Fraser who gives us that best stay at home game (small sample size).

Old
02-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
To me, it doesn't make sense for the Leafs to be helping out any team in the East with NHL ready bodies when they are in direct competition for a playoff spot with them...
It does if we can clear 4 million in cap space.

Liles will definitely help whichever team he goes to, but he's in the press box.. That can't be understated.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:49 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
It does if we can clear 4 million in cap space.

Liles will definitely help whichever team he goes to, but he's in the press box.. That can't be understated.
Really... what's that $4m in cap space going to be used for?

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Really... what's that $4m in cap space going to be used for?
How are we supposed to know? All I know is that,

5.25 Lupul
5.5 Grabo
4.5 Komi
6.5 Dion
3.8 Liles

Count me as someone who's hoping to see this list get smaller.