HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Rosso Scuderia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Tonight proved once again that Eller has no creativity with the puck. He is still in panic mode and makes ill advised passes. Although he is getting really good at icing the puck.

The overrating of Eller on this board continues.......and continues to amaze me.
I have to say.. you are quite an opportunist guy.

I think it was quite obvious that Eller played really well in the last 10 games, being one of our best forwards, better than Cole, DD, Max, Gio and the rest of our 4th line.

He was bad last night but don't come here and pretend that he STILL in panic mode and is overrated etc etc... You will not fool anyone here.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
MT has done a pretty good job so far. He is spreading the ice time quite well knowing the season will be short and intense. + knowing some of his players did not play competitive hockey since a while.

I agree that Gionta is a liability right now, but MT won't sit his Captain. If Gionta would not had that C letter on his jersey, he would had been put on lower lines and got his ice time cut significantly.

Eller does not deserve more time. He is a third liner at best with the vision and skills he has.
Not a matter of sitting Gionta, just a question of relying on him a bit less on the PP. Nothing about the way Gionta is playing deserves 3+min/game on the PP, "C" of no "C".

Definitely do not agree with your assessment of Eller...

Old
02-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
One bad game since............................................. ........................ Yeah I can't remember and you write him off ? While DD had a good game, it was his first really good one in .................................Yeah I don't remember. Get real man.

First good game from DD? Get real, with 1G 4A +3 in his last 5 game, and his 4 games streak with at least one PPG, this is really pushing it. He is a playmaker, a feeder, not a shooter. So of course when the old Cole who is doing nothing this year and Pac who wasn't finish the play like he used to last year (or right now), DD had a slow start too.

Quote:
This is like the people saying Leblanc is a bust because he's played 20 bad games this year, taking out the three other years he's played.
This is like saying DD didn't have a really good since .... you don't remember while forgetting his great season last year.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
First good game from DD? Get real, with 1G 4A +3 in his last 5 game, and his 4 games streak with at least one PPG, this is really pushing it. He is a playmaker, a feeder, not a shooter. So of course when the old Cole who is doing nothing this year and Pac who wasn't finish the play like he used to last year (or right now), DD had a slow start too.

This is like saying DD didn't have a really good since .... you don't remember while forgetting his great season last year.
DD is showing exactly the same thing he did last year actually.

DD having a good game is not DD racking up points, it's DD not being a liability on the ice, which he was in a lot of games this year(and last year.). He's pretty much always going to produce assists on a constant basis but it doesnt mean he plays great.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I have to say.. you are quite an opportunist guy.

I think it was quite obvious that Eller played really well in the last 10 games, being one of our best forwards, better than Cole, DD, Max, Gio and the rest of our 4th line.

He was bad last night but don't come here and pretend that he STILL in panic mode and is overrated etc etc... You will not fool anyone here.
He wont show up until he feels he has some ground to stand on. Like when Pierre Mcguire didn't get picked for GM he was gone for ages.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Eller isn't a 4th liner on any NHL team...you're way out to lunch.

DD vs Eller shouldn't be a debate, they are different players and bring different things to the table.
So many replies to choose from. So I will quote yours since yours gets to the heart of the matter.

But hiya doin' One Sharp Marble.

I will start by saying that my sentiments regarding Eller are related to Montreal, not any other NHL team.

I will repeat again that Eller played a terrible game last night. He played in his comfort zone....the inability to make smart passes killed a power play and stopped a developing odd man rush in its tracks. And these types of plays have been very common regarding Eller through his career in Montreal.

Eller is best suited to be on the 4th line in Montreal. He is not better than Pleks for obvious reasons. His playmaking is well short of DD's. So that leaves two lines for Eller to play on, the third and fourth.

Lets look at the third line. When Gallagher comes back, do you put Eller with Gally and Chuckie? There is a reason both of those players are developing. Brandon Prust is giving them that opportunity. Look at what Prust did last night to help Eller. Would Eller do the same to help one of the Gallys? Hell no.

So leave the line the way it is when Gallagher gets back, right?

WHY? Gallagher has a MUCH larger upside than Eller. Galchenyuk has an even greater upside than Eller. Why should either Gally be moved to the 4th line? They are a bigger piece of the future success for the Habs than Eller ever will be.

So that leaves Eller as the 4th line center.................in Montreal. To do otherwise would be foolish.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
So many replies to choose from. So I will quote yours since yours gets to the heart of the matter.

I will start by saying that my sentiments regarding Eller are related to Montreal, not any other NHL team.

I will repeat again that Eller played a terrible game last night. He played in his comfort zone....the inability to make smart passes killed a power play and stopped a developing odd man rush in its tracks. And these types of plays have been very common regarding Eller through his career in Montreal.

Eller is best suited to be on the 4th line in Montreal. He is not better than Pleks for obvious reasons. His playmaking is well short of DD's. So that leaves two lines for Eller to play on, the third and fourth.

Lets look at the third line. When Gallagher comes back, do you put Eller with Gally and Chuckie? There is a reason both of those players are developing. Brandon Prust is giving them that opportunity. Look at what Prust did last night to help Eller. Would Eller do the same to help one of the Gallys? Hell no.

WHY? Gallagher has a MUCH larger upside than Eller. Galchenyuk has an even greater upside than Eller. Why should either Gally be moved to the 4th line? They are a bigger piece of the future success for the Habs than Eller ever will be.

So that leaves Eller as the 4th line center.................in Montreal. To do otherwise would be foolish.
Like you, I'm judging the play of Eller objectively and don't see him like the Top 6 foward that everybody on this board seems to think.

But you can still let him on the 3rd line if you move Cole or Gionta on the 3rd line.

Gallagher - DD - Pacman
Bourque - Plek - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Cole
Prust - White - Moen

But then you loose the protection and the energie that Prust bring to the 3rd line.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

You know what is foolish ? Your line of thinking.

-No forward on this team is better than Plekanec, why even bring it up?
-Eller has played way above DD's level for 10 games now.
-Eller has the potential to be exactly what Plekanec is ATM(refer to my first point)
-Plekanec, at the same age was penciled as a 3rd liner shutdown winger because he had ''tunnel vision
-Eller has way better all-round game than any other C not named Plek.
-DD doesnt have the shooting or the hands or the skating or the size or the defensive game or the grit that Eller brings (See what I did there ?)

Don't take anything I've said here seriously, because I'm just making a fool out of you. (While my points are still pretty much all valid.)

Quote:
Like you, I'm judging the play of Eller objectively and don't see him like the Top 6 foward that everybody on this board seems to think.

But you can still let him on the 3rd line if you move Cole or Gionta on the 3rd line.

Gallagher - DD - Pacman
Bourque - Plek - Gionta
Prust - White - Moen

But then you loose the protection and the energie that Prust bring to the 3rd line.
It's not about top 6 or not. He clearly need's more development to be a good top 6 player and I think nobody ever said other wise. It's about the quality of some players in our top 6 and the wasted talent on the fourth line.

For the record, I think we'd all be fine with Eller getting 3rd line minutes and some PP time once in a while.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
It’s one bad game for Eller after a series of very solid games. The guy is 23 years old and he still have untapped potential. He clearly is a keeper in my book.

That said, on hfboards, I also think that Eller is overrated. Some posters in here get mad when I write that he is a keeper with size and sound two ways play who is suffering from a mild case of tunnel vision. He also needs to be challenged from time to time. The icing on the cake is when I add that I prefer him on wings... can you hear overlords' footsteps?
Good post.

I am not advocating getting rid of Eller. I guess I should not have read the GDT or the PGT after last nights game.

In it, I read that Markov is finished, Price sucks, Gionta should be traded immediately, Cole is still retired (I cant argue with that one), Diaz is a mistake, Galchenyuk has a few issues, DD still is not that great, people missing Kaberle and other assorted screams.

Eller was still standing strong.

And when a post was made about Eller's less than stellar effort last night, those posters were quickly reprimanded.

The unconditional love for Eller is strong here.

If White would have tackled that Islander last night and sat in the Penalty Box while they scored, the board would have exploded and the server would have crashed with unapologetic disgust for White.

But it was Eller sitting there for taking a dumb penalty. And NO ONE came up with the suggestion that Eller cost the Habs the game for letting the Islanders close to one goal and killed the momentum.

Not one of the people who were calling for White to leave Montreal were even saying anything about Eller...........even though the situations were similar........dumb penalty leads to goal.

But again, this is Eller we are talking about.

Eller's love is strong. I am still wondering if its his boyish good looks that drive that love or is it because our old buddy Gauthier gave away a very valuable asset and Eller is all that we have to show for it. Either way, it is an odd phenomenon.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Milhouse40

Let's see...many comments here...
Eller overrated...DD waking up...

First thing first....Pacioretty is and always has been the key players on the line.
Best player last year, best player this year so far.

Pacioretty is racking points even when Cole and DD were not. DD start to rack up points lately (and he did play better)....but without Pacioretty to put the puck in the net..DD wouldn't go anywhere.

It's not a surprise to me that Pacioretty already got his big contract.

Second things, here some numbers for you,

Eller, 6 points at even strenght in 15 games
DD also got 6 points at even strenght...in 17 games
And Eller is the one with the lowest ice-time of the two.

All other points of DD are on the powerplay which Eller doesn't get as much.

Curiously, one is good and the other lack of vision and talent.

Some poster talk about Eller's consistency.....and it amaze me...how the hell Eller can be consistent when he is thrown on the left, on the right, in the middle, playing with 6 diffe rent linesmates a night!!!!

Old
02-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Good post.

I am not advocating getting rid of Eller. I guess I should not have read the GDT or the PGT after last nights game.

In it, I read that Markov is finished, Price sucks, Gionta should be traded immediately, Cole is still retired (I cant argue with that one), Diaz is a mistake, Galchenyuk has a few issues, DD still is not that great, people missing Kaberle and other assorted screams.

Eller was still standing strong.

And when a post was made about Eller's less than stellar effort last night, those posters were quickly reprimanded.

The unconditional love for Eller is strong here.

If White would have tackled that Islander last night and sat in the Penalty Box while they scored, the board would have exploded and the server would have crashed with unapologetic disgust for White.

But it was Eller sitting there for taking a dumb penalty. And NO ONE came up with the suggestion that Eller cost the Habs the game for letting the Islanders close to one goal and killed the momentum.

Not one of the people who were calling for White to leave Montreal were even saying anything about Eller...........even though the situations were similar........dumb penalty leads to goal.

But again, this is Eller we are talking about.

Eller's love is strong. I am still wondering if its his boyish good looks that drive that love or is it because our old buddy Gauthier gave away a very valuable asset and Eller is all that we have to show for it. Either way, it is an odd phenomenon.
Most of the people who are Eller fans, didnt want White out.
Most of the people who are Eller fans admit that he had a bad game.
It was a team loss not a loss on Eller. Difference between Eller and White's penalty is that the Buffalo one was 4 minutes and totally a bonehead move. One of the worst penalty to be taken since Begin.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Gallagher - DD - Pacman
Bourque - Plek - Gionta
Prust - White - Moen

Let's rock the world.......

With that formation the Habs got 4 players on the top 6 with 5'11" or less (Gionta, Gallagher, Plekanec and DD)...

Toronto and Boston don't even got 4 players under 5'11" in their whole team!!!!

Old
02-22-2013, 06:01 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
You know what is foolish ? Your line of thinking.

-No forward on this team is better than Plekanec, why even bring it up?
-Eller has played way above DD's level for 10 games now.
-Eller has the potential to be exactly what Plekanec is ATM(refer to my first point)
-Plekanec, at the same age was penciled as a 3rd liner shutdown winger because he had ''tunnel vision
-Eller has way better all-round game than any other C not named Plek.
-DD doesnt have the shooting or the hands or the skating or the size or the defensive game or the grit that Eller brings (See what I did there ?)

Don't take anything I've said here seriously, because I'm just making a fool out of you. (While my points are still pretty much all valid.)

It's not about top 6 or not. He clearly need's more development to be a good top 6 player and I think nobody ever said other wise. It's about the quality of some players in our top 6 and the wasted talent on the fourth line.

For the record, I think we'd all be fine with Eller getting 3rd line minutes and some PP time once in a while.

OK, you qualify as an Eller fanboy.

Speaking of the 4th line, who had more goals last night? Wasted talent player or Eller?

Despite your undying love for Eller, Galchenyuk is more important to the future of the Habs than Eller ever will be. And, once again, DD is more important to this season for the Habs than Eller is.

Sorry, the future Plekanec () just does not have those offensive skills right now.

Awesome post by the way.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Kriss E

I really love how the most common argument of people having a different opinion is always ''x player is overrated''.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really love how the most common argument of people having a different opinion is always ''x player is overrated''.
I am not sure I understand... are you implying that it is impossible to overrate someone? If not, please tell me what his flaws are.

Just for the record: yes I think Elller is overrated on hfboards but it is not a jab at him; it is a jab at his fan boys/girls.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:01 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I am not sure I understand... are you implying that it is impossible to overrate someone?

Just for the record: yes I think Elller is overrated on hfboards but it is not a jab at him; it is a jab at his fan boys/girls.
But resorting to calling to those you disagree with fanboys is childish. Just like resorting to calling you a hater would make me look like an asshat. Agree to disagree, I guess, since people don't want to debate without resorting to school yard insults.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
But resorting to calling to those you disagree with fanboys is childish. Just like resorting to calling you a hater would make me look like an asshat. Agree to disagree, I guess, since people don't want to debate without resorting to school yard insults.
It would be childish but that was not directed at the op. Because I consider Eller as a keeper, I felt the need to underline the fact that when I mention that Eller is overrated on hfboards, I am not taking a jab at him. I am taking a jab at the people who see no freakin' flaw in his game. People. Not necessarily the op.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I am not sure I understand... are you implying that it is impossible to overrate someone? If not, please tell me what his flaws are.

No. I'm not saying it's impossible to overrate someone, but that word is thrown around way too frequently here.
Eller's top potential is top 6. He's got a good shot, good hands, decent vision, skates very well, a great puck protector, great defensive game, only 23 and will keep bulking up. Every time he has been placed as a center next to skilled wingers, his line creates offensive chances. He doesn't get much PP ice time.
So, give him good wingers, regularly, with some PP time, if he's able to put it all together, it's not an out of this world thought that he could become a top 6 player.

If someone believes Eller can put it all together, it's not overrating him. You can disagree and say you don't think he has the vision to reach his full potential, that's fine. It's just a difference of opinion.

Overrating Eller would be people saying he will be a ppg player. Saying he can be a top 6 player (which is what I read) isn't a crazy idea.

To finish, thinking this kid can become a top 6 doesn't make anybody a fan boy. Enough with these dumb name callings, really..

Old
02-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Again, what are his flaws?

PS please read my previous post; I was not necessarily calling you a fan boy. The fan boys are the one who are unable to name one freakin' flaw in Eller's (or player x) game.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:22 PM
DAChampion

Not sure how Eller is overrated.

Is anybody arguing he cam bean elite 1st line center?

No.

People think he can become a good to great 2nd line center.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Again, what are his flaws?

PS please read my previous post; I was not necessarily calling you a fan boy. The fan boys are the one who are unable to name one freakin' flaw in Eller's (or player x) game.
I think Eller's main problem is that he still takes some bad decisions offensively. Sometimes he seems impatient with the puck, other times he is too patient. His vision might be his biggest flaw imo.
However, he is only 23, and he's been tossed around from one line to the other, from center to winger. This is the worse thing you can do to a developing player imo. (on that note, think Weber is getting better sitting in the press box? I feel bad for this kid.)

Before I make any real judgment on him, I need to see him play consistently where he is best suited to reach his potential, at center with good wingers. He also needs to get more ice time on the PP.

The PP is an easier place for youngsters to perfect some of their offensive skills.

In any event, experimenting as much is a necessity with Eller. Otherwise we will never know his real value.
You can believe that he's nothing more than a 3rd liner, but he's not Moen. We know Eller has potential, so in order to be sure that he's not a top 6 player, we have to try him out.
And by try out, I don't mean 2-3 games.

We had the opportunity to do so when DD wasn't looking good this year, but coaching staff opted to move him to the wing instead, and still aren't giving him PP time (less than 1min a game).

Old
02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think Eller's main problem is that he still takes some bad decisions offensively. Sometimes he seems impatient with the puck, other times he is too patient. His vision might be his biggest flaw imo.
However, he is only 23, and he's been tossed around from one line to the other, from center to winger. This is the worse thing you can do to a developing player imo. (on that note, think Weber is getting better sitting in the press box? I feel bad for this kid.)

Before I make any real judgment on him, I need to see him play consistently where he is best suited to reach his potential, at center with good wingers. He also needs to get more ice time on the PP.

The PP is an easier place for youngsters to perfect some of their offensive skills.

In any event, experimenting as much is a necessity with Eller. Otherwise we will never know his real value.
You can believe that he's nothing more than a 3rd liner, but he's not Moen. We know Eller has potential, so in order to be sure that he's not a top 6 player, we have to try him out.
And by try out, I don't mean 2-3 games.

We had the opportunity to do so when DD wasn't looking good this year, but coaching staff opted to move him to the wing instead, and still aren't giving him PP time (less than 1min a game).
I agree especially with the bolded part. Eller is in that situation because the Canadiens felt that Galchenyuk had nothing else to learn in the juniors and the mid/long terms dividends associated with him (Gal.) playing for the big club, would be positive.

Frankly, I agree with them. Galchenyuk is a Gem.

Under normal circumstances, if it was not for Galchenyuk and Gallagher, Eller would be a lock on 3rd. The guy is, right now, better than 19 years old Galchenyuk. So yes he was facing (still is) an uphill battle. An uphill battle, at 23 years old, is not the end of the world. Plus, he is slowing gaining his spot back; at 14-15 minutes per game, I really don’t see how someone can maintain that he is, currently, badly utilized.

Long story short: I mostly agree with you. The only/main difference is that I think Eller’s play is more suited for wings.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I agree especially with the bolded part. Eller is in that situation because the Canadiens felt that Galchenyuk had nothing else to learn in the juniors and the mid/long terms dividends associated with him (Gal.) playing for the big club, would be positive.

Frankly, I agree with them. Galchenyuk is a Gem.

Under normal circumstances, if it was not for Galchenyuk and Gallagher, Eller would be a lock on 3rd. The guy is, right now, better than 19 years old Galchenyuk. So yes he was facing (still is) an uphill battle. An uphill battle, at 23 years old, is not the end of the world. Plus, he is slowing gaining his spot back; at 14-15 minutes per game, I really don’t see how someone can maintain that he is, currently, badly utilized.

Long story short: I mostly agree with you. The only/main difference is that I think Eller’s play is more suited for wings.
As much as every organization likes to say they don't play favorites, that everybody will be treated the same, what they do doesn't reflect that. I believe this is just a BS cliché comment that they like to say.

Galchenyuk has not been a better player than Eller this year. There was absolutely no reason for him to even start the year ahead of Eller. However, they looked at the kid and came to the conclusion that he had nothing left to learn in the Juniors, but at the same time, he has no business centering guys like White/Armstrong/Moen on the 4th line either.
What really surprised me is that I thought that at least Eller would be moved to the wing next to both Gallys. But I guess protecting both Gallys was more important to this coaching staff than giving Eller proper wingers.

This staff absolutely favored both kids over Eller. The fact Eller got scratched one game into a ''no training camp'' season really made me scratch my head. Not to mention, the whole team looked like crap (outside maybe Price and Plek).
I never understood that. Just like I'm still not understanding how Subban isn't getting
PK time.

Maybe Eller is better suited for the wing, I think he's a lot more comfortable at center, but that's normal when he's played there all his life. What we have seen though is he slowly adapted to the wing and performed much better as games went on.

Eller has played only 15min in one game in his last 6. He got 14 in the last one. Hopefully this is a trend, as he very much deserves it, but I'll wait to see if they keep his time up. However, he still isn't getting much PP time which, as I said, is the perfect spot to build offensive confidence.

But fact remains, nobody is overrating Eller.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Et le But

I don't really see how Eller is overrated. If there was people saying they think he's the 1st line center of the future then yes, that would be overrating him. I guess saying he's better than Desharnais is overrating him, but I don't really see anyone saying that, a few people are saying they'd rather keep him if you had to keep one, but that's not quite the same thing. If anyone is saying Eller is all that elite, instead of calling us fanboys, please find the quote.

It's hard to call a player overrated when there's such extreme opinions. Most of us "fanboys" think at best Eller could figure it all out and be a Plekanec like player. Keyword being at best, personally I wouldn't bet on him being as good offensively as Plek, since Plekanec is not a player you can easily project, but I'd give him a year or so more in different roles before I'd dismiss it completely.

Then you have people saying he's a 3rd liner at best, or even a 4th liner/the second coming of Jan Bulis. This I disagree with because he's already a solid 3rd liner. Even if he doesn't put together his offense he's not that far off a Dave Bolland type two way player. 30 points in a defensive role is actually a good thing. I wouldn't say that's his ceiling, even now, but I'd be fine with that for him, since I don't want Plekanec traded anyway.

And saying he was used as a grinder last year isn't an "excuse". Actually, at least under Martin, I have no problem with how Eller was used last year. I do have a problem with expectations of 50+ points in that role, because that's not fair.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:13 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I used that term, fanboy, on this thread. On this page.

It was in response to someone who said that they were making a fool of me simply because I believe that Plekanec and DD bring more to the table TODAY than Eller does. And also that Galchenyuk is the future of the Habs and would serve no purpose being placed on the 4th line. Same for Gallagher.

Is that childish?

Eller has much work to do to improve his game and to becoming a top 6 Center. That is not hating Eller. That is simply making an observation that appears to not sit well with the fans of Eller.

Closed Thread