HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders place DiPietro on Waivers

Old
02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsurge View Post
Daigle was as well
Patrick Stephan?
Brian Lawton?
Brian Berard was but for other reasons -- injuries.
Joe Murphy?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
first overall in the same draft as Lundqvist who was the 205 pick
The Rags drafted Blackburn #10 in 2001 and Montoya #6 in 2004 with guys like Schneider and Rinne on the board. If they knew what they had in Lundqvist they would have never made those picks so let's not get all holier-than-thou here...

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just my $.02:

1) If he's buried in the minors, he collects his $4.5M, and Wang gets credit for $3.6M of that against the salary cap.
2) If he's bought out (not with an amnesty buy-out), RDP collects approximately $1.5M per year for the next 18 years (2031!) and Wang gets credit for that against the cap. This actually saves Wang about $13.5M over the remaining term of the contract (and more if you consider the NPV of delaying the payment stream).

While I feel for RPD, because his luck with injuries was attrocious, collecting $1.5M per year for the next almost 20 years is a pretty nice "golden parachute"!
RD did hit the owner-offering-up-ridiculous-contracts lotto.

Nothing even approaches what happened to him - none of which is his fault. Who wouldn't have signed after seeing all those 0000000s?

I would never pick a goalie in the top 15 - and definitely not in the top 5. There are just way too many good to great goalies that come from the 2nd - whatever round to roll the dice on a high-draft-pick goalie.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Hollywood163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
No they won't.

Regular buyout would be way too detrimental to the franchise in the long run, and an amnesty buyout is a huge waste of money.
Snow should package DiPietro with a young player like Niederreiter and a pick to a deep pocketed team that aren't going to use their compliance buyout and would have no problem absorbing the expense.

The Isles would get DP off the books and the recieving team would get some young assets for the cash

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
The Rags drafted Blackburn #10 in 2001 and Montoya #6 in 2004 with guys like Schneider and Rinne on the board. If they knew what they had in Lundqvist they would have never made those picks so let's not get all holier-than-thou here...
Blackburn would have been a steady NHLer had he not got injured.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
Snow should package DiPietro with a young player like Niederreiter and a pick to a deep pocketed team that aren't going to use their compliance buyout and would have no problem absorbing the expense.

The Isles would get DP off the books and the recieving team would get some young assets for the cash
Makes sense if they decide that they are going to start spending to the cap and competing. Until then, however, they may as well keep DiPietro and let insurance pay his salary for most of the season.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
jayball75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I bet they're hoping someone will take him. Be surprised if anyone does.
My beer league team wouldn't take him. It's too hard to find someone to play Saturday nights if he's injured. I need a dependable back up.

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:33 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Dipetro used to be one of my favourite goalies back in the day. Kid used to be a physical freak but now he is just a broken middle aged man. If he gets bought out I hope the leafs give him a two way deal. I'd love to see Ricky bounce back but given his destroyed groin and damaged (left?) knee, poor guys career is done.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:28 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post

and Rick was an all star olympic goalie and could have been more if not injured

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
that's classic when you bring it up in a DiPetro thread. People seem to forget DP was a very good goalie before he hit the injury bug.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Dipetro used to be one of my favourite goalies back in the day. Kid used to be a physical freak but now he is just a broken middle aged man. If he gets bought out I hope the leafs give him a two way deal. I'd love to see Ricky bounce back but given his destroyed groin and damaged (left?) knee, poor guys career is done.
He was one of my favorite goalies as well it's a shame that injuries ruined him.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
patrick

He was average, with one or MAYBE two above average years. Never in the top ten in save%, wins, GAA or shutouts. His olympic record and play was nothing special, he won two playoff games in his career. He was never very good. One year in the top five in save % with a .919 %. Twice he had five shutouts in a year. He was at his best one of the better middle tier goaltenders. All star appearance was deserved but also an anomaly. He hurt his team with bonehead plays more as much as he helped them with stellar goaltending.

Last edited by patrick: 02-22-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:54 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
He was average, with one or MAYBE two above average years. Never in the top ten in save%, wins, GAA or shutouts. His olympic record and play was nothing special, he won two playoff games in his career. He was never very good. Once year top five in save %with a .919. Twice he had five shutouts in a year. He was at his best one of the better middle tier goaltenders. All star appearance was deserved but also an anomaly. He hurt his team with bonehead plays more as much as he helped them with stellar goaltending.
Perhaps if he had a team in front of him during his playoff runs he would look better, no? I watched that series between the leafs and Isels and I remember Ricky being left out to dry on many occasions.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:59 PM
patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Perhaps if he had a team in front of him during his playoff runs he would look better, no? I watched that series between the leafs and Isels and I remember Ricky being left out to dry on many occasions.
You weren't playing very close attention as he never faced the Leafs in the playoffs. Osgood did with Snow backing up. DP lost to the Sabres and Lightning.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
You weren't playing very close attention as he never faced the Leafs in the playoffs. Osgood did with Snow backing up. DP lost to the Sabres and Lightning.
Well played but the point however remains the same. Did Dipetro have defenders that would atleast assist him during that matchup?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:29 PM
startainfection

Quote:
and what was DP turning into?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:40 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Must have been a sympathy vote. No one else on the Islanders was adequate. I've looked at his numbers....awful.

Trade Luongo....pass on Heatley....draft Dipietro. That didn't impact the franchise at all.

Well they also traded Bertuzzi, Chara, Spezza, McCabe, Berard and others. The franchise is much better with Snow running it but what a hole to dig out from.
He had deserving numbers from the second half of 2007 and first half of 2008.

If you remember he actually sustained his first big injury from something he tweaked during the Skills Competition that year. That AS Game was pretty much the beginning of the end for the guy.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
belly-laugh inducing. ever heard of Ricky?

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:56 PM
palindrom

Name your top ten teams interested to claim Dipietro!!

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:16 PM
jmoss45

Could definitely see the Flyers being interested.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Name your top ten teams interested to claim Dipietro!!

Flyers
Blue Jackets
Lightning
Capitals
Red Wings
Leafs
Coyotes
Blackhawks
Oilers
Devils

When DP get's bought out, I can't see anyone claiming him.

Last edited by Hennig: 02-22-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Making room for Roberto.
This may be closer to the truth than the idea that DiPietro is being prepared for a buyout.

The Islanders need to stay above cap minimum. If DiPietro is claimed on waivers or if he is bought out the Islanders would be under the minimum cap. Niether Thomas nor Nabokov are playing well at the moment (& Thomas not at all) and both are older than Luongo. The rookie goalies the Islanders have are not ready, if ever, to play a leading roll in the NHL.

Of the teams that may be looking to improve in goal, the Islanders are a team with depth in quality prospects including a number of lottery picks. With Kesler and Booth back, the Canucks are no longer a team that absolutely is looking for NHL ready players. The Islanders could afford to give the Canucks an offer the Canucks cannot refuse in order to solidify their goal position and still not seriously harm the Islanders prospect depth.

Personally if the Islanders do trade with the Canucks for one of Vancouver's goalies, I think the Islanders will go afterr Cory Schnieder rather than Roberto Luongo.

Which players or prospects do you think Vancouver would be asking for in return?

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 02-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:01 AM
TheFinalWord

Quote:

Nobody is going to pay $36 million for Niederreiter. You might have a hard time if you included Tavares. That is a significant amount of money and there aren't too many owners willing to accept having to pay that out.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Anyone who says this kid was not going to be a great goalie is nuts. Injuries cost him a stellar career. I hate him and the Islanders but he was very good and good for the game before he pulled up lame

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:

Lets see. Thats over $40 million counting this season's salary the other team would have to shell out just to buyout DiPietro. You seem pretty eagar to invest that kind of money. I'll tell you what. I've got this great bridge for sale & it just so happens I'm only asking $39 million. That is a million dollars cheaper than DiPietro and unlike earning nothing buying out PiPietro, think of the millions more dollars you will earn charging drivers wanting to cross your bridge every day. Cash only though (in small, unmarked denominations) and no refunds.

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 02-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote